First RMT

FIRST OFF
This as the title says is my first RMT. I'm pretty new to competitive battling and this is a team that my friend helped me out with, hoping to get some good advice on this team.

The Lead

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/4 SpDef
Relaxed nature (+Def,-Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

I needed something reliable to set up rocks and something that resisted or at least wasn't OHKO'd by common leads, Swampert came calling. With it's great bulk it's almost certain to set up rocks on anything without taunt bar infernape.
---
The Almost Uber

Salamence (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Hasty nature (+Spd,-Def)
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flamethrower
- Roost
A fast reliable attacker that packs intimidate to boot? Salamence has been able to set up easily on the switch and I've found, bulky enough to roost off excess damage that may come his way. Flamethrower covers steel and ice types to prevent it from getting walled completely.
---
Powerful Support

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SpAtk
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Toxic
The premier special attacker of DPP Heatran fits its role, the combination of fire blast and earth power make a strong special attacking force, substitute protects it from threats like thunder wave. Toxic allows it to cripple pokemon that it can't KO directly.
---
Slap in the Face

Lucario (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
This late game sweeper has saved me tons of times, with its powerful STAB close combat and excellent coverage along with a priority move, Lucario is incredibly versatile. The only problem that I encounter is ghosts, taking out crunch for extremespeed priority.
---
Prankster Ghost

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
A tricky ghost to deal with, the common choice scarf set lets rotom perform its job admirably, destroying everything with it's powerful STAB attacks and crippling what it can't with trick.
---
Smallest Bush Ever

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power
- Leech Seed
- Seed Flare
Another supporting special attacker, with leech seed Shaymin's survivability increases surprisingly. Rest could be used alternatively but leech seed can be passed to teammates without the aid of baton pass, sometimes giving you a free switch in to set up if you choose to come in with a sweeper.

Hope this team is ok, I'd be really happy if just a couple of people looked at it!
---

Hi Nezumi,

I want to say that this team actually looks pretty good for someone new to competitive battling, good job on that!!

Firstly is your lead. Swampert leads do okay since they can safely set up rocks, although you have to be careful of taunt users like Azelf and Aero. You can off course break their sash with Ice Beam so I don't think these leads aren't much of a problem. You also have to be careful of Machamp leads. To fix this problem I would recommend a ResTalk Gyarados > Salamence so Gyara can come in on Machamp to intimidate it and take a Dpunch. Swampert can easily take a Stone Edge when Gyara is facing it. Since Salamence is a Uber I don't think you might want to use it in Ou battles. I know it is still allowed on PL with standard battles, but most people are still like Mence is Uber. This is the Gyarados set I am talking about:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Hp | 252 Def | 4 Speed
Impish nature (+Def,-Spatt)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Waterfall

Next is your Lucario. Personally I like SD Luke and I don't understand why I don't see it often when battling. Something small on Luke, I would use Ice Punch > Rock Slide to hit flyings more reliably, especially Dragonite and Gliscor, although most Gliscor outspeed. I wouldn't recommend Stone Edge since you already have Scarf Rotom to revenge kill Gyarados, Shaymin who can come in on a Waterfall and probably ResTalk Gyara to intimidate it. Furthermore Stone Edge has inaccurate accuarcy so when it misses it can really fuck your sweep. Lucario has indeed problems with Ghost types since Gengar and most Rotom outspeed it. Therefore I suggest using Scarf Ttar > Heatran to trap kill the ghosts so Luke can sweep better. Another reason in using Ttar is to hit Cresselia for a high amount of damage with Crunch, since Cress resists CC from Luke. Another way to beat ghosts is off course your Rotom, but with TTar you have 2 ways of defeating the ghost types. This is the Ttar set:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Hp | 252 Attack | 252 Speed
Jolly nature (+Speed,-Spatt)
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake

I wouldn't use Superpower > EQ for Bliss since your Shaymin can Leech Seed bliss, Luke can CC it, Rotom can Trick it a Scarf and Gyara can pp stall with Rest and do ~30% with Waterfall.

Rotom-H is next. I would use Rotom-W to be honest so a TTar thinks twice before switching and try to trap you with Pursuit. So basically I mean Hydro Pump > Overheat.

On Shaymin I would go for Hp Fire > Hp Ice basically since Hp Fire is for things like Scizor, Forry and Skarm and you don't want the latter two to lay up entry hazards. Hp Ice could be nice for Dragonite, but since you have Pert and Lucario with Ice type attacks and maybe Scarf Ttar to revenge kill with Stone Edge I don't think this will be a huge deal.

ResTalk Gyara > DD Mence
Scarf TTar > Heatran
Ice Punch > Rock Slide on Lucario
Hydro Pump > Overheat on Scarf Rotom

Again Congrats on your team :) I hope I helped you with my suggestions!!

Hay Nezumi!

Anyway, Salamence isn't "almost uber". By Smogon's standard rules, it IS uber for Gen IV.

I figure you use it since PL isn't updated (Even Pokemonexperte considers it uber in Gen IV now, but freaking Martin won't touch tiers).
I'd suggest Gyarados like B-Zard suggested above. You have two resists and one immunity to Electric, as well as resists to Rock. It'd do just fine.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If your team is made to let Lucario sweep, it could actually be better in the long run for you to use Rotom-H: it lures Tyranitar and lets Lucario set up a Swords Dance on the (usually) Choice-locked Pursuit. You just need to beware IMO the most dangerous set against your team: Expert Belt Ttar. It traps Rotom and KOs Lucario with Superpower. It is quite rare though (only I use it a lot in 4th gen, or so it seems).

@Mikel: Expert Belt TTar is indeed very uncommon. To be honest I don't see it very often. Most Ttar are Choiced in some way, mostly scarfed. It is true that If you let Rotom-H die by a Pursuit you can switch into Luke to get a SD boost. If the TTar is scarfed however (which most are) it can revenge kill Lucario with EQ and only take 30-35% damage from a +2 Extremespeed. This strategy means that you lost your revenge killer (Rotom-H) and your set up sweeper (Lucario), therefore I think it is still better to choose Rotom-W. Swampert can handle TTar with Eq and it can come in on SE, Eq and Pursuit so this is too a method to take TTar down. It is not good to sacrifice your revenge killer for it. I know this by battling, since in a team I used Rotom-H and it mostly got killed by a Scarfed TTar, meaning I had no revenge killer left. When I used Rotom-W, it kept Ttar at bay, letting me revenge kill more easily and survive longer since TTar doesnt want to take a Hydro Pump in the face.

@ Nezumi: Rotom-H is moslty used for things like Scizor, Forretress, Skarmory and random grass types. Your team doesnt have problems with Steels since you have Swampert, maybe Gyarados and Lucario. If you choose Hp Fire on Shaymin I think you don't need that Overheat on Rotom-H anymore.

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/4 SpDef
Relaxed nature (+Def,-Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

I'm not the only one noticing this right? I'm going to go ahead and assume you meant 40 SpDef EVs...I would also say that you should mention Toxic on Heatran is to cripple bulky waters such as Vaporeon or Swampert.

Also @B-zard "Another reason in using Ttar is to hit Cresselia for a high amount of damage with Crunch." I would say that Rotom can trick and cripple Cress or Shaymin can leech seed and Seed Flare to slowly take it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)