1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

First RMT!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by ThE BoSs13, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ThE BoSs13

ThE BoSs13

First NU RMT

I'm new to NU and wanted to try Absol. I based this whole team around him and Sawk. Could use suggestions because I don't know this tier well. I made this team a long time ago so the descriptions are kinda small.​

Absol @ Life Orb
    Trait: Super Luck
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Night Slash
    - Sucker Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower​

My favorite NU pokemon. Wanted to try a critical set to see if it works. It works as a revenge killer but is too frail to do anything else. Night Slash, Pscho Cut, Shadow Claw, and Stone Edge give him those criticals he's working for and Pursuit kills Ghosts and Psychics. The criticals don't happen as much as wanted and I feel like he is wasted. This guy gets killed by any tank and could probably use a different set. The EVs maximize his attack and speed so he can kill as much as possible before he dies from the many pokemon that carry Superpower or Close Combat.​

Sawk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs:252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    -Close Combat
    -Ice Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake ​

My Choice Band user. He can do anything and is the main pokemon on this team. This guy works perfect with the diversity he can stay in and sweep even locked in on a move. The EVs are the normal Choice Band set EVs and maximize his attack and speed. Love this guy and don't need to change him. He OHKO's most pokemon with one of his moves and when he is locked still majorly hurts everything that resists it. ​

Musharna @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs:240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
    Bold Nature
    -Calm Mind
    -Moonlight
    -Psychic
    -Signal Beam​

My Emboar and Gurdurr counter. Those two would destroy my team without this guy. Doesn't set up much with Calm Mind so I could probably use a different set. Moonlight heals, Psychic and Signal Beam give decent coverage. Calm Mind makes him a monster if he needs it but he usually doesn't. The Evs make him as bulky as possible while being able to outspeed the common Amoongus. He is incredibly weak against special walls and Calm Mind doesn't help it get past any screens or walls.​

Regice @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    Evs:252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    Modest Nature
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk​

This guy helps tank those pesky Water-types that ruin my whole team. He also deals with Hail teams that can destroy me because I don't use weather. Thanks to WhiteDMist for the set.​

Regirock @ Rocky Helmet
    Evs:252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    -Stealth Rock
    -Drain Punch
    -Toxic
    -Stone Edge​

My Stealth Rocks user. Needed somebody who could stay in and wall and shuffle. Toxic spreads the poison, Drain Punch so I don't have to waste a slot and item on Rest, and Stone Edge provides great coverage. The last move I don't need so I could really use another move. The Evs maximize his bulk.. I feel like he doesn't fit into the team because I never find a way to get him and if I lead him he is wasted.​

Drifblim @ Flying Gem
    Trait:Unburden
    EVs:252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Acrobatics
    -Substitute
    -Disable​

My spinblocker. He can switch in on a Rapid Spin and proceed to set up with Unburden. Will-O-Wisp helps it cripple Attack based threats, Acrobatics has huge power with the Flying Gem, Disable takes out that one move that kills it on sets with a little prediction, and Substitute helps it stall out while Acrobating everything that doesn't resist it. The Evs help destroy more with his Acrobatics. I feel like this guy is the best spinblocker in NU since he can cripple Armaldo with Will-O-Wisp and just laughs at Torkoal, the two main spinners.​

This team is really weak to Fighting types with my only counter being Musharna, it is also weak to Dark types with only Sawk being able to kill them. I also don't have a spinner to help out Drifblim. All in all, I feel like this team needs some help from somebody who has played NU a lot more than me.​
  2. ium

ium rowan is an ape
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

hey there. before i work out any weaknesses with this team, i first want to just adjust some of the movesets and EVs you are using.

absol without sucker punch and superpower is just not even a good set. sucker punch grants you extremely powerful priority which is useful in many cases considering that you do not have anything that is immediately fast. superpower is just necessary because dark/fighting is pretty much perfect neutral coverage. life orb would also be the best item on absol—banking on critical hits isn't always the way to go and you could just boost the overall damage output instead.

next off, bastiodon could run several things in its last moveslot: protect, magic coat, some attack like metal burst. it's rather weak to attack, so i would just try out protect over sandstorm to accumulate some toxic damage and gain a bit more leftovers recovery. however, there are many things better than sandstorm that you can test that don't really hinder bastiodon's main role.

lastly, acrobatics drifblim should be running 252 atk / 252 spe with a jolly nature. you really want to be outspeeding jolly absol, adamant sawk, and positive-natured base 70s such as samurott and ludicolo.

absol / choice band sawk / musharna / ursaring / bastiodon / acrobatics drifblim

this team seems like it would have major problems with water-types such as ludicolo and gorebyss. once they are boosted by either rain or shell smash, all you have to stop them is absol's sucker punch. this is rather unreliable considering it cannot OHKO ludicolo, while gorebyss could be carrying substitute.

try running an offensive ludicolo of your own over ursaring. at decent health, it can handle a +2 gorebyss and gain a chunk of that hp back with giga drain. it also checks opposing offensive ludicolo; despite being a bit shaky with this, it should weaken it enough for something like absol to pick off afterwards. it pretty much fills that "sweeper" role that you wanted ursaring to fulfill except that is much faster in and out of rain.

also, with snow warning snover being in NU now, musharna isn't the best choice. should you face a hail team, moonlight will only heal half as much as it normally would. duosion would be the best replacement with the exact same set except that it has the more-reliable recover instead. it still counters choice band sawk, gurdurr, and the same things you wanted musharna to do. however, duosion additionally has magic guard which is a huge help considering you don't really have a way to deal with alomomola with the rest of your team.

summary:
    sucker punch and superpower life orb scope lens absol / choice band sawk / duosion musharna / offensive ludicolo ursaring / protect sandstorm bastiodon / 252+ spe acrobatics drifblim

sets (open)
    [​IMG] Absol @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Night Slash
    - Sucker Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit / Swords Dance

[​IMG] Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Hydro Pump
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Beam

[​IMG] Duosion @ Eviolite
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 16 Spd / 240 HP / 252 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Psychic
    - Signal Beam
  3. WhiteDMist

WhiteDMist 40 more
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey, I got your PM. This team seems a bit odd; you say that you made this a long time ago? I'd like to know if you have CURRENTLY tested it. Regardless, I will rate this team and perhaps adjust it a bit to the current meta (though ium has already done a decent job).

Absol NEEDS Sucker Punch and Superpower, no questions about it. I strongly recommend that you replace Stone Edge and Psycho Cut for these moves, and stick with Pursuit/Psycho Cut for that last slot. As for the item, it's up to you. Competitively, Life Orb, Lum Berry, and Dread Plate are all more reliable options.

Ursaring's set is alright, but I would stick with Bulk Up. Rest just doesn't work as recovery, and Ursaring does not have enough bulk to live 3 turns without doing damage. However, ium is right that you are very weak to Water-types, and Hail teams also have a field day with you. You lack the ability to reliably revenge kill things like SS Gorebyss and Ludicolo. In this meta, I feel that RestTalk Regice would be the most reliable Pokemon to handle these threats. It walls both of these Pokemon, and also stops most Hail abusers cold. Ursaring is much too slow to do anything but wallbreak, which the rest of your team can already do. You'll want to rely on Sawk to prevent opposing Pokemon from setting up Stealth Rocks of course, but even if you fail, Regice can still perform well for you.

Bastiodon isn't really fulfilling anything for your team. Your team is much too offensive, and Bastiodon simply halts all your momentum for no real reason. Regirock is a far more reliable Pokemon to lead off with in this meta, and also has the offensive presence to keep opposing Pokemon from being too relaxed. It also has the honor of stopping Cinccino from sweeping through your team, which is highly appreciated.

Duosion is a fine option, and Musharna still works if you aren't facing Hail teams. The option is yours, though Musharna's overall effectiveness has gone down (though it is much bulkier). Drifblim isn't the most reliable spinblocker in the tier, since the two most effective Spinners of the tier can easily get past it (Armaldo with its SD Lum set, and Torkoal with its Shell Smash set). Truthfully, Drifblim works better as a Pokemon that breaks down your opponent's team and forces switches (since all you have is Rocks anyways). To that end, perhap Disable would be more effective than Destiny Bond. Like Haunter, you tend to only be weak to 1 move in many Pokemon's movesets. You have much more Speed after Unburden (though you lose it if you switch out), but you are even more reliant on amazing timing and prediction. Still, Disbale forces more switches than Destiny Bond, where the opponent can just outmanuveur you with weak or non-offensive moves. As for speed, either option works depending more on how you play.

Changes:

Absol: Sucker Punch + Superpower>Stone Edge + Psycho Cut
    Regice>Ursaring
    -OR-
    Ursaring: Bulk Up/Swords Dance>Rest
    Regirock>Bastiodon
    Drifblim: Disable>Destiny Bond

Sets (open)
    Absol @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Night Slash
    - Sucker Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit/Psycho Cut

Regirock @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Drain Punch
    - Thunder Wave/Toxic

Regice @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam/Blizzard
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Welcome to Smogon NU!
  4. ThE BoSs13

ThE BoSs13

Thanks for the help guys I made the changes. I want to keep Musharna because I love what he does and he does it great I'll try Duosion though.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)