1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First serious attempt at a Balanced Gen 5 Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by MrGone, Jan 2, 2013.

1. MrGone

MrGone

Hello there! I've been playing pokemon since all the way back in '99 when I picked up my first copy of Pokemon Blue. I had a slight hiatus from pokemon when Gen 5 was released but recently got sucked back into this world. This is my first serious attempt at creating a solid Balanced Wifi OU team.

I've playtested this team a bit on the Pokemon Online servers, reaching a rating of around 1300. My goal is to reach 1500, so I want to make sure I find whatever tweaks there may need to be done. Hopefully you can help me!

The Team
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Teambuilding

The Team

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W w/ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 184 HP / 4 Def / 144 SAtk /176 Spd
    Volt Switch
    Hydro Pump
    Will-O-Wisp
    Hidden Power Ice

Accomplishes pretty much everything I wanted out of my starter. Volt Switch allows me to scout out any possible switches with substantial damage STAB. Hydro Pump compliments this nicely, dealing heavy damage to Ground-types that resist his Volt Switch, while also adding coverage to Rock and Fire. Will-O-Wisp greatly helps my slight vulnerability to Physical Attacks. Hidden Power Ice gives me coverage against Dragon-types, which I need, as my Sweeper is weak to fellow Dragons.

[​IMG]
    Donphan w/ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Rapid Spin
    Earthquake
    Toxic
    Roar

Donphan is a fairly crucial part of my team, plugging some of the holes in my defenses with his 120 Defense, resistance to Stone Edge, among other Rock moves, and Rapid Spin use. Rapid Spin is a fairly obvious choice, based off my reasons for choosing Donphan. Earthquake is a strong STAB move should he need to go on the Offensive. Toxic allows him to whittle down any Ghost types that may try to SpinBlock him. While Roar allows me to faze out major threats, such as DD Dragonite.

[​IMG]
    Celebi w/ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
    Hidden Power (Ice)
    Earth Power
    U-Turn

Celebi fits well within my team, due to his great typing. Leaf Storm is his main STAB move, though Giga Drain has caught my attention as usable, due to it's strength against common Rain Dance teams. Hidden Power (Ice) is useful against Dragon- and Flying-Types, especially DD Dragons, whom he can switch into and proceed to outspeed with Choice Scarf. Earth Power handles many Ground- and Fire- types, while also offering good neutral coverage. U-turn allows him to scout while still keeping momentum.

[​IMG]
    Heatran w/ Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    Lava Plume
    Stealth Rock
    Toxic
    Protect

Heatran plays a very crucial role on my team, boasting 10 resistances and 2 immunities, thanks to Flash Fire. Lava Plume helps with my Physical vulnerability due to it's 30% burn rate. Stealth Rock fits quite well, as he will have plenty of opportunities to lay them down while switching into many common pokemon whom Lava Plume will scare away, such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. Toxic enables him to dispose of many defensive pokemon who would otherwise wall him. Protect helps him scout Choice users, gain health from Leftovers, and rack up residual damage from Toxic.

[​IMG]
    Vaporeon /w Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
    Wish
    Protect
    Scald
    Ice Beam / Roar

Vaporeon is one of the best Wish Supporters in the metagame, sending 217 HP Wishes, which will heal everyone else on my team well over 50%. Protect is used as a scouting move, and also to ensure that Vaporeon can receive his own Wish, if needed. Scald, again helps cover my Physical vulnerability with it's 30% burn chance, while also being a respectable STAB attack. I prefer Ice Beam over Roar, due to it helping clear the way for Dragonite to sweep, yet Roar still catches my attention as it can help phaze out counters and threats alike.

[​IMG]
    Dragonite w/ Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage / Dragon Claw
    Fire Punch
    ExtremeSpeed

Multiscale really is something else. It essentially gives Dragonite a free turn of set-up, which makes him extremely threatening as a Sweeper. Outrage is extremely powerful, so powerful it 2HKOes offensive Heatran after just one boost. It and Fire Punch ensure that he can hit every pokemon in OU for heavy damage. Dragon Claw catches my attention as well, with it's ability to change moves and having good synergy with Extremespeed.

Other Thoughts

I haven't found too many glaring problems that cried out to be fixed, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, I just haven't encountered them yet. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!
  2. Mr. Green

Mr. Green

Hi, nice balanced team!
    I think you're a bit 'weak Tornadus-T. Hidden Power Ice Celebi not OKHO.
    So, to remedy the problem I would change Rotom-W in the version Chesto Rest. Somewhere, then to or instead of Toxic or Roar, suggest Ice Shard, which is a good priority against the 3 genes and Dragon, that repeat Celebi is not a good Revenge-Killer, since Multiscale Dragonite not OKHO, against Salamence risks losing the Speed ​​tie.
    Good Luck, with your team!

Set:
    Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
    Calm | 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Rest
  3. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey, nice team. Your defensive core already covers many threats, and if you implement the SpD Rotom-W suggestion of Mr. Green, you solve your issues with Tornadus-T. However, I was wondering if having a whopping four defensive pokemon, only SR as a hazard and no damaging weather (so attempting a stall route is not viable), and nothing that packs a real punch right off the bat, can hamper your capability to take down Stall teams. Yeah, the meta is extremely offensive right now, but a lot of your team is just walled by Chansey without problems (to be honest, everything but DNite, and even the Dragon can switch in only once to avoid being Thunder Waved / Toxiced). Altering your team is a quite challenging task, since removing anything from your defensive core makes you weak to something and may cause disastrous outcomes. If you want to try a very weird, very high risk / high reward suggestion, you could use a Choice Band Donphan instead of your current one. The set is never seen in OU, so its surprise factor is HUGE, and would allow you to maim many things that usually switch into it with impunity. For example, Defensive Starmie is OHKO'd, Jellicent is handily 2HKO'd (and you can run 128 Spe EVs to outspeed most common variants, which is again very unexpected), Ice Shard 2HKOs any Dragon, and is a decently powerful priority move (although not STABbed), Chansey and Ferrothorn are both 2HKO'd by EQ, and you retain its niche of Rapid Spinning anyway. I never tried this set myself, so it can fail miserably, but seeing as you already pack Wish support, already have SR, and lack offensive presence, it could be an original option to solve your problem.

Donphan (open)
    [​IMG]
    Donphan @ Choice Band | Sturdy
    Adamant | 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe (or 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe if you don't care about Jellicent)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge (or Fire Fang if you really hate Bronzong, but I'd rather switch in that case)
    - Ice Shard
    - Rapid Spin

Hope my idea helped somewhat. Good luck.
  4. MrGone

MrGone

Thanks for the responses! I've changed my Rotom-W set up the the ChestoRest as per Mr.Green's suggestion and it's been working fairly well! I also tried out the Choice Band Donphan, which has been pretty devastating. The only problem with the team I've noticed comes from Baton Pass, which I have remedied by changing to a Specially Defensive Celebi set with Perish Song.
  5. Asek

Asek Roll one for me
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi

Cool team. First off, I noticed that powerful fighting type attackers will give you a lot of problems. Terrakion spamming Close Combat will be very difficult for your team to switch into, as well as keldoe throwing around secret sword and technilooms mach punches for that matter. Donphan may be able to take 1, but without a recovery move he won't be able to hold off the onslaught for too long. To remedy this issue I would change your celebi set to a Physcially Defensive variant. This set can take fighting attacks all day, and conveniantly resist's breloom's and keldeo's secondary STAB's to boot. With an instant recovery move you can heal off hazards and the damage taken from the attack you had to stomach. You can gradually chip at the fighting type with sr and attacks from celebi until they are a non issue. Celebi and heatran also conveniantly have beuatiful synergy, covering each others weaknesses very well and supporting the team strongly with their abilty to sponge most of the attacks in the tier. Whats more nobody expects physically defensive celebi anymore, so it can have quite the suprise factor in the current metagame.

Now, although CB donphan may be pretty creative, I would just change the Choice band to a Life Orb if you do decide to take that set on. Being locked into Earthquake is very easy for the opponent to abuse, as there are a lot of levitating pokemon in the tier, some of which can set up and further punish your team. Life Orb still gives you an impressive power boost while giving you the freedom to switch your moves. The downside is of course the recoil, but playing conservativley with donphan should ensure it can get off those nessecary rapid spins.

GL with the team.
    Physically Defensive Celebi (open)
    Celebi @ leftovers
    Nature: Bold (+Def -Atk)
    Trait: Natural Cure
    252HP/ 232Def/ 24Spe
    Giga Drain/ Recover/ U-Turn/ Thunder Wave
  6. MrGone

MrGone

I really like the Physically Defensive Celebi and having a more powerful and versatile Donphan is really helpful. These tweaks have really been helping! Any more suggestions would be appreciated!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)