First Smogon RMT omfgwtfbbq (Standard OU)

I've been working on this team for awhile and I've been doing pretty good with it, I haven't lost a match with it so far.

=Preview=

@ Focus Sash
Timid
252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Psychic
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Ground)

This lead suprises alot of other common leads. HP Ground deals with IMO one of the most used Azelf Switch-ins, Heatran, and also helps with Tyranitar. I wanted to fit U-Turn or Explosion here, but losing Gyarados/Gengar/reliable Heracross coverage was too unfavorable.

@ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP, 220 Defense, 38 Special Defense

Thunder Wave
Hidden Power (Ice)
Leech Seed
Recover

I use HP Ice over Grass Knot because Zapdos(HP Ice) gives my team some problems if Heatran falls. I also didn't have room for Reflect here. Random special defense EVs help take Ice Beams.

@ Leftovers
Calm
244 HP, 248 Special Defense, 18 Special Attack

Lava Plume
Earth Power
Hidden Power (Grass)
Substitute

Celebi+Heatran is insanely overused for a reason. HP Grass is used for Swampert, obviously. A Heatran with a Substitute up is hard as hell to take down. Heatran serves to cripple Heracross switch-ins, which can then be dealt with by Gyarados/Garchomp.

@ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP, 252 Defense, 6 Special Attack

Air Slash
Body Slam
Roost
Substitute

Nobody expects a Togekiss to be this defensive. Body Slam obviously wrecks any Electivire/Grounds that try to come in. Once Paralysis has set in, if I can pull of a Sub and begin Paraflinching, Togekiss is nearly impossible to take down. With all the defense EVs, Togekiss can come in on a Guts Heracross Close Combat(assuming he is Paralyzed), and finish it off with Air Slash.

@ Leftovers
Jolly
252 Speed, 228 Attack, 28 HP

Outrage
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Fire Fang

I'm thinking about changing this to a CBChomp. For now, Garchomp serves as a great Mid-Game sweeper for me. Random HP EVs allow better Recovery and a little extra durability, at the cost of a very minimal amount of attack.

@ Leftovers
Adamant
212 HP, 152 Defense, 152 Speed

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Earthquake

My late game sweeper. The Speed EVs allow him to outspeed Timid Gengar and friends after 1DD.

The Team is centered around using Paralysis to cripple faster sweepers, opening a window for Heatran to come in and sweep or Togekiss to begin haxing with Air Slash. Azelf deals with many common leads, usually destroying them. Gyarados comes in on anything he can, and will proceed to Dragon Dance.​

Threat List​

Starmie - Can be handled by Azelf, and somewhat outstalled by Celebi if need be.

Suicune(Crocune) - If Azelf is still alive, he can deal with Suicune(somewhat) if Cune hasn't had the time to gain boosts. Celebi can try to Leech Seed it, but dies to boosted Ice Beams.

Gyarados - Azelf murders any Gyarados cocky enough to come in. Other than that, Celebi can take any Gyarados, as long as Gyara doesn't have a stupidly high amound of DD and Ice Fang. Taunt could cause it problems however. Heatran can burn any Gyara that switches in on it.

Cressila - Outstalled by Celebi and Heatran.​

-​

I'm seriously considering changing my Chomp to a CBChomp, to deal with BulkyWaters(I'd replace Swords Dance with Dragon Claw and likely go Adamant, as he will outspeed nearly all of his counters anyway).

I've been doing great with this team, and it doesn't have any glaring weakness that I can see. Suggestions and comments welcome :)​

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gyarados - Azelf murders any Gyarados cocky enough to come in. Other than that, Celebi can take any Gyarados, as long as Gyara doesn't have a stupidly high amound of DD and Ice Fang. Taunt could cause it problems however. Heatran can burn any Gyara that switches in on it.
There, you seem to voice your way around a potential Gyarados weakness. You have one - acknowledge it. The Taunt + Stone Edge sets is arguably the most common Gyarados set, which ironically is the the main Gyarados set you're at a disadvantage with. Fortunately, you can easily overcome this by simply replacing Leech Seed/Thunder Wave for it respectively.

Simple.

(Yes, I haven't looked into the team further, yet).

HP Ground doesn't even dent tyranitar, and most Heatrans are nor either scarfed or special defense orientated. I advise just using the LifeOrb U-Turn/Explode set. U-Turn lets you damage as a Tyranitar switches in, and Explosion actually does something to it if you are stuck there 1on1.

Are the SpDef EVs on Celebi doing anything? Heatran takes Ice beams just fine. Switch them to Defence. Use Grass Knot > HP Ice, you can stall out Zapdos just fine with leech seed. Reflect could go over ThunderWave as it lets you counter Garchomp more effectivly, something your team can't counter nor revenge kill at the moment.

Heatran would do much better as a RestTalker. You lack a status absorber, and the CeleTran synergy doesn't work if one half cant recover its self. Also the lack of wisher means he wont be around for long
Lava Plume / Earth Power / Rest / Sleep Talk would do fine.

Togekiss seems okay if you're going for that.

I suggest making Garchomp a scarfer. Your team really needs the speed and revenge killing. Mostly for Infernape because Gyara is your best switch in and he will quickly get worn down by Stealth Rock so hes only good for 2 switch-ins max. Outrage / Earthquake / Fire Blast / Stone Edge would do fine.

Pretty big Gyarados weakness without Grass Knot on Celebi--its practically begging for STAB. The substitutes on Heatran and Togekiss seem kind of strange, and your giving up a slot that could have gone to Explosion/Stealth Rock on Heatran and Aura Sphere or something on Togekiss.

Azelf's survival against a T-tar lead is pretty much 'nil, as HP Ground does a pittance and U-turn still allows T-tar to pursuit it if my memory serves me right. As such I would recommend perhaps Heatran as your lead--this might sound strange but Bronzong is lead #1 nowadays, and you can set up rocks if you choose to replace Substitute with it.

I suck at rating, but I can reccomend with Azelf -

You claim flamethrower is a Reliable hera counter - how? After STAB, Psychic deals more. You also run into a problem if you use flamethrower and heatran switches in (say they have a Hera-Lead).

U-turn will also help against pursuiters - get you away from fast weavile who could KO with Night Slash, if memory serves me right, and goes first.
U-turn won't destroy t-tar, but you can bring something in against it and do damage, without being pursuited.

If I recall correctly, Pursuit doesn't work against U-turners - they aren't switching.

I would rate the rest of your team, but I am by no means an expert, solely picking up on small things (like azelf).

Edit: Noticed you weren't content with Garchomp - I personally find that those moves are the best for me. Try a bulky dancing chomp - dance, ice beam is used, and the salac is activated as opposed to you being dead. It would sacrifice on original power, but not by much. a mere 76 Atk, 180 Special Defense, 252 Speed, with an Attack boosting nature could pay off in the end. This does run into problems though - residual damage screws it over royally, and psuedo-hazing will waste the berry boost.

Option 2 with Garchomp - CScarf Garchomp has fallen out of use, and wouldn't be expected as much as CB. Dreadful revenge killer

When I said HP Ground can *help* with TTar I meant it actually does a slight amount to it. And Peanut-Lover I never said Flamethrower was a reliable Hera counter, I said it was less reliable than Psychic.

And of course Bronzong is the Number One lead, I read the Shoddy stats =/

I do think that Pursuit hits faster U-Turners.

I'll look over the suggestions and change my team, edit and bump this topic later.

Thanks for the help so far.

*you forgot abilities on your pokemon*

i'd recommend putting some, if not all, of togekiss' defense ev's into special defense. this way it can take ice beams and thunderbolts more easily. also, i'd give it aura sphere over substitue for steels.

Just like everyone else has pretty much said, Grass Knot is a must on Celebi. Sure, HP Ice gives you coverage against Zapdos, but you are better off Seeding it as it will Pressure stall you out of PP anyways. Without Grass Knot on Celebi, bulky Gyarados can easily 6-0 this team.

Finally, those 36 Special Defense EVs should be in speed, to outrun Adamant Tyranitar and some Gyarados. The special defense won't help you at all as the moves that used to OHKO are still OHKOing, the moves that used to 2HKO are still 2HKOing, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)