First Successful 6th Gen Team! Balanced Offensive (Peaked 2200+)

Welcome to my 6th gen Pokebank OU RMT! I haven't really played competitively since 4th Gen/ the days of shoddy so here's my first relatively successful team. Any and all suggestions/ comments/ critiques are welcome so fire away!
================================================================

================================================================

Above you'll see the Team Preview/ team at a glance. What might strike you right away is that I'm lacking a dedicated special wall/ sponge. I thought that would turn out to be a problem when building the team, but the type synergy between all the members (barring Alakazam, as I want to preserve his sash) lets me switch into special moves with relative ease unless your name is Greninja. You might not have noticed it from the preview, but the team is also lacking any form of priority. So far, this hasn't been much of an issue as I've only lost 3 games (granted, I've also only won 13) with the team, but I'd like to be able to fit some priority on the team if possible as it's always good to have. I want to make the team the best it can be while keeping my DragMag+ Charizard offensive core together. The team performs pretty well so far (even got a top 500 spot for the first time!). Like everyone seems to say in these RMT's, "Without further ado..." here's the team:

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
Dragonite is incredible. If rocks are kept off the playing field he can virtually guarantee a late-game sweep. Weakness policy makes this doubly so. Countless times, people will sac something to +1 dragonite to get a free switch into their ice/fairy move users only to fail to KO thanks to multiscale and give me another +2 atk, sealing the game in my favor. I run EQ over the typical fire punch because my team already deals with Steel types very well, so it's very rare that I'd need fire punch lategame. Earthquake also deals with heatran who would otherwise wall me. Extreme Speed is for good neutral damage with great priority. Comes in handy the most vs Azumarill and Talonflame. My team lacks priority and this helps cover that up. Lum berry would be a good alternative, allowing me to set up on things that threaten me with status, but the extra punch packed with Weakness Policy is not uncommonly needed to guarantee a sweep with Dragonite. DD Moxiemence was run in this slot before being replaced by Dragonite, and the Moxie boosts were required to guarantee a game as well, so this emulates those attack boosts.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
Charizard's always been one of my favorites and this Mega Evolution is one of the greatest Special attackers in the game right now, I'd say (barring obvious ubers). The moveset is pretty standard. The coverage offered by the set is just about perfect. Fire blast OHKO's/2HKOs almost anything that doesn't resist it (and even some that do) so long as they're not dedicated special walls, though the shaky accuracy has cost me a game so I'm considering running flamethrower instead. If you decide to leave a rate, please leave some input on Flamethrower vs Fire Blast for the team. Not much else to say. I run dragon pulse over many other viable alternatives because I would otherwise be setup bait for the likes of Dragonite, Salamence and even Talonflame.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 216 Spd / 40 HP
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone's here mainly to switch in on attackers that it can resist hits from that would otherwise destroy Charizard and Salamence. Together, they hit most anything for super-effective damage. Additionally, Magnezone also eliminates common hazard setters and steel/fairy types that stop Salamence from sweeping (Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Azumarill when it's locked into Aqua jet/Play Rough). I run a Substitute attacker set because Specs with volt switch only guarantees kills on slow steel types that it traps and the last thing I was is to be switched in on by a Gliscor or Landorus while locked into volt switch or thunderbolt (Those two can be serious trouble as is anyway). Bringing in Magnezone forces switches really, really often and this set takes advantage of that without getting locked into a move. I get at least one free attack and often get a KO and/ or serious damage on a target. The only thing the set can't touch is Water/Ground types, but the only relevant one at the moment I can think of is Gastrodon. This spread allows me to outspeed minimum investment Rotom-A and still gives a small amount of bulk. Charge beam lets me set up on slow, weak (usually wall) pokemon that can't really break my subs in one hit. The most notable of these pokemon being ferrothorn that carry no attack ev's.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Alakazam is the man when it comes to revenge killing. Should someone on the team get knocked out, say, by a threat who can tear through the other 3 attackers on the team and/or my walls, Alakazam comes out at full HP without fail (sash intact) and proceeds to OHKO/ 2HKO said threat. This is pretty much the band-aid for the team's lack of priority users. The moves are obviously for optimal coverage. Psyshock over Psychic to get around special walls. Dazzling gleam is for dragon types that have already set up on me. Considering changing to HP ice, but am not sure. I kind of threw Alakazam on the team after picking the other 5 because I noticed that I was open to set-up sweepers and talonflame. This is probably the most changeable spot on the team in my eyes.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Gastrodon is excellent for this team. Gastrodon gives me a much-needed immunity to water (that increases my damage!) and electric. This is my answer to Mega-Manectric and Landorus(-T) which has become an increasingly common sight on the ladder. Before I got desirable results with the team, I was having hole torn through me every time I'd play against a M-Manectric and/or Landorus-T to the point where most games would be unwinnable solely because of them. Gastro here also is a great check to Talonflame, which is extremely common and used to give me a lot of trouble as well. Many times, as soon as I see the opponent's team preview I'll almost instantly decide that I'm going to lead with Gastrodon. Especially when the opponent is packing a Genesect, Rotom-W, or the aforementioned Lando-nectric duo. Leading against any of these usually lets me get a free Scald off onto whatever the U-turn/ switch in to and the high burn chance's help cannot be overstated. Toxic lets me cripple walls, not allowing them to stay in for very long. Ice beam lets me counter/check Dragons and Lando/Gliscor, as Gastrodon can almost certainly take even +1 hits on the physical side from nearly anyone.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Rounding off the team is the second wall of the team- Skarmory. Before adding skarm, the team desperately lacked a way to remove hazards while also setting some up itself. To some it may seem odd to run defog and Stealth Rock on the same set, but in all honesty it's not rare at all to come across a situation where you can use defog and then proceed to set up your own hazards. It may seem odd to run two physical walls on the same team, but between the defensive typing across the team, switching into special attacks is usually a breeze. Skarmory and Gastrodon cover each other's weaknesses pretty well and if need be, I can invest some special bulk into either Skarmory or Gastrodon to make switches easier on them (though I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing just that). I run stealth rock over spikes because I'd otherwise have trouble dealing with Dragonites (Multiscale) and other fast flying types in general (Especially thundurus).

==============================================================================
That's the team so far and I like the results but with the handful of games I lost, I feel that the team has some holes versus well-build and well-played stall and hyper-offense with multiple set-up sweepers.
I really appreciate anyone taking the time to say anything and I'll take any suggestions into consideration and test them myself. I plan to make the team in-game as well once I feel it's generally strong enough to be worth the effort (don't have access to gen 5 myself. didn't play it on DS.) of making (I do, however, have most of these in-game already). With that in mind, I ask that if possible, if you rate- to suggest changes that would be better objectively (for PS!) and changes that wouldn't be too difficult to make in-game (I can't really RNG legendaries and transfer them when PB is released without a cartridge and I doubt anyone would trade even clones for my standard bred stuff).

I'll post a threat detailed threat list if the team gets significant attention/ if I get a lot of time. Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Importable:

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 216 Spd / 40 HP
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hey there! Got the request, so lets rate this team

So basically, this team attempts to sweep with salamence. You have char-y to break holes, which is basically about as good as it gets. Anti-lead char-y's are ridiculously threatening and there are few to none complete counters to all that char-y can do, making it even more dangerous. Magnezone is there to trap steels and beat fairies that may give mence trouble, and alakazam is there to revenge kill any sweepers. Gastrodon and skarmory act as your defensive core that attempts to sponge incoming attacks. Cool.

However, the days of moxiemence are over, and mence just doesn't have much over dnite these days. That's why I suggest you try a DD dragonite instead. He has multiscale and is much bulkier, resulting in a much easier set up. He also has extremespeed, a strong priority move which your team currently lacks. You don't really need hydro pump either as char-y just nukes everything alive with fire blast.

Moving on to your magnezone, a cool option you could try is charge beam>thunderbolt. This allows you, with substitute, to completely set up on things like ferrothorn and skarmory, and become a dangerous boosted pokemon hiding behind a sub. Charge Beam is a lot weaker, but it gives your magnezone a lot more potential.

Other than that, what you could do is consider a mixed char-y set. He, with a sun boosted flare blitz, can brush aside even brutes like chansey, and open up some different holes that you may have previously struggled with. The moveset will be a little different, but its another cool little option that may work out better for this team.

There's not much more I can suggest because this team is pretty solid. I hope my suggestions were helpful, good luck!

Dragonite @ Lum Berry/Weakness Policy/Leftovers (preference, each work fairly well)
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fire Blast/Overheat
- Focus Blast/Brick Break
- Earthquake/Hp Ice

Hey there! Got the request, so lets rate this team

So basically, this team attempts to sweep with salamence. You have char-y to break holes, which is basically about as good as it gets. Anti-lead char-y's are ridiculously threatening and there are few to none complete counters to all that char-y can do, making it even more dangerous. Magnezone is there to trap steels and beat fairies that may give mence trouble, and alakazam is there to revenge kill any sweepers. Gastrodon and skarmory act as your defensive core that attempts to sponge incoming attacks. Cool.

However, the days of moxiemence are over, and mence just doesn't have much over dnite these days. That's why I suggest you try a DD dragonite instead. He has multiscale and is much bulkier, resulting in a much easier set up. He also has extremespeed, a strong priority move which your team currently lacks. You don't really need hydro pump either as char-y just nukes everything alive with fire blast.

Moving on to your magnezone, a cool option you could try is charge beam>thunderbolt. This allows you, with substitute, to completely set up on things like ferrothorn and skarmory, and become a dangerous boosted pokemon hiding behind a sub. Charge Beam is a lot weaker, but it gives your magnezone a lot more potential.

Other than that, what you could do is consider a mixed char-y set. He, with a sun boosted flare blitz, can brush aside even brutes like chansey, and open up some different holes that you may have previously struggled with. The moveset will be a little different, but its another cool little option that may work out better for this team.

There's not much more I can suggest because this team is pretty solid. I hope my suggestions were helpful, good luck!

Dragonite @ Lum Berry/Weakness Policy/Leftovers (preference, each work fairly well)
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fire Blast/Overheat
- Focus Blast/Brick Break
- Earthquake/Hp Ice
First of all, thanks for the rate! I really appreciate it. I've thought about running Dragonite over Mence again. I had him on the team before putting in mence, but that was also before the team got pretty much completely rebuilt. What I disliked was getting outsped by >80-100 scarfers lategame, as players would often keep them healthy (and they were usually genesects who would not die to +1/2/3 extremespeed). Sometimes +1 dragon claw would also fail to kill a lot of not-so-bulky mons, which is why I liked running moxiemence (snowballing momentum). For this reason I'll try out dragonite with a weakness policy, since +1 often isn't enough late-game if they have a check they kept in their back pocket.

Would your recommended chary set still punch major holes with fire blast? I'll try it out myself before knocking it, it just feels like a suboptimal spread to me at a glance. Also I feel that I'll have huge problems against landorus formes. Especially -I. I guess you suggested HP ice partly for this, but I'd still get wrecked by Lando-I since it outspeeds me. Will it likely get banned again? If so I probably have nothing to worry about.

You also suggest running earthquake over Fire Punch on Dragonite. Is this because my team already handles pokemon that are 4x weak to fire? I'd considered it myself but there are situations where scizors will remain untouched the majority of the game and only a fire move would guarantee the sweep.

As for charge beam on magnezone, it's definitely got potential and I'll try it out. I never followed the sub charge beam set from smogon BW because I felt it was a little situational for my taste but I do find myself playing off against more and more slow steel types lately so I'll try definitely be using it to see how well it works.

Mega Charizard X is a huge problem if it can get up a DD (which isn't very hard against Skarmory), as long as rocks are up it just OHKoes your whole team with a combo of flare blitz and outrage. I'd recommend maybe something like Azumarill as it can take on both of its stabs, and hits back hard with a banded waterfall, or you can belly drum on it if you're ballsy enough. Azumarill also keeps up huge offensive pressure since that seems to be what you're going for.

Mega Charizard X is a huge problem if it can get up a DD (which isn't very hard against Skarmory), as long as rocks are up it just OHKoes your whole team with a combo of flare blitz and outrage. I'd recommend maybe something like Azumarill as it can take on both of its stabs, and hits back hard with a banded waterfall, or you can belly drum on it if you're ballsy enough. Azumarill also keeps up huge offensive pressure since that seems to be what you're going for.
I agree, but I don't see there being any room for that. Alakazam is needed in several instances where Azumarill wouldn't cut it, and the sun weakens its secondary stab.

(Note: I'd like to run some calculations on some stuff, but at the moment Honkalculator is having an existential crisis or something and doesn't want to do math. So, I won't be able to weigh in on some stuff as heavily as I'd like, and I'll be relying more on my gut instinct of how much damage some stuff will do than usual. I may come back and do some calcs for specific threats and such later.)

All right, let's see what we have here.

You seem to have a very good idea of how everything in the team works and, as a whole, the entire thing is well put together. It is balanced, though it tends more towards offense than defense. Overall, none of the choices you made in team-building strike me as wrong or in some way sub-par. There are some suggestions I can make and I'll take a look at what this team really struggles with.

Despite having solid Fire resists in Char-Y and Gastrodon, I do think that the team has a noticeable Fire weakness. This is mostly due to Char-Y bringing Drought with him and having both Magnezone and Skarmory on the team. While Gastrodon does an admirable job of tanking many Fire-type attacks regardless, more powerful foes like +1 Scarf Genesect can still leave huge marks in him and the rest of your team. Other powerful opponents with those type of attacks, notably both Mega Charizards, also present an issue if you put Drought up. While this is hardly a crippling weakness for the team, it's certainly something to keep in mind in battle.

I notice that of your four main offensive Pokemon, three of them are special attackers. This makes special walls, particularly the Pink Blobs, a notable issue. Gastrodon and Salamence can force them out with Toxic or an attack respectively, but are also both susceptible to Toxic. Skarmory can't do enough damage with Brave Bird to take down either Chansey or Blissey without prior damage or poor play on the part of the blobs, though they usually can't do too much back either.

The team also looks like it is a bit weak at grabbing momentum. Teams that utilize VoltTurn strategies may put you in unfavorable positions more often than desired, though as always they require some prediction to work. Char-Y is powerful enough and has good enough coverage where it can give those teams some trouble, but you're often going to be pressured more than the opponent anyway. As your team lacks either Volt Switch or U-Turn, you may find yourself giving the opponent more free turns than you'd like when match-ups aren't exactly in your favor.

Those are the biggest flaws I found, and they are by no means game-breakers. All teams have weaknesses, and this team offsets those weaknesses with some great strengths. You're noticeably less susceptible to status than many other teams, with good switch-ins to all of the major statuses bar Sleep. While teams on the extreme sides of the offensive/defensive spectrum may be troublesome, more moderate teams are rarely such a bother. Your teammates also exhibit great offensive synergy for the most part.

A few remarks about individual team members before I wrap this up;

• Salamence- If you're keeping him around, consider switching out Hydro Pump. It's weakened by the sun your wallbreaker brings with him, making it a fairly weak option in many cases. It needs a Rain boost to OHKO certain Water-weak threats anyway (I'd do some calcs, but as I mentioned earlier, Honkalculator is busy not being a calculator.) While Char-Y may get past the likes of Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor without much hassle, it doesn't hurt to have reliable backup. I believe that with Drought up Flamethrower is a reliable alternative over Fire Blast as well. Of course, this is all moot if you go with a Lum Berry DD Nite set, like the one Srn posted. If Fire weak Pokemon are enough of a non-issue where you can afford to put Hydro Pump on Mence, then you won't mind having a Pokemon that can run ExtremeSpeed in the last slot.
  • Charizard- I'd love to weigh in on Fire Blast vs. Flamethrower, but that'll have to wait until Honkalculator is done doing its thing. For now, I can say that the set is solid Char Y fare. The only thing I can offer in terms of advice is running Air Slash somewhere on the set, though it isn't an objective improvement. Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse both hit specific threats hard. Tyranitar and Heatran fear FB, while other Dragons hate Dragon Pulse. Air Slash is similar, but instead of hitting any of them, it hits Fighting-types harder, particularly AV Conkeldurr. Char Y is actually a pretty good answer for AV Conkeldurr, who can potentially mess up portions of your team and has grown significantly in popularity as of late. If I'm remembering my damage calcs correctly, Air Slash gives Charizard a distinct advantage over Conk, giving you both a good switch-in and check. You need to decide whether that's worth giving up Focus Miss or Dragon Pulse though.
  • Magnezone- The only thing I wanna bring up here is the subject of Flash Cannon vs. Volt Switch. I don't know what particularly you're hitting with Flash Cannon, as you have better options versus most Fairies, and most things you'd wanna trap are weak to either Thunderbolt or HP Fire. Volt Switch gives your other team members more safe switches in, and may be a better fit over Flash Cannon. You don't need to run Specs with it if you don't wanna be locked in though. That's totally reasonable.
  • Alakazam- The problem with Dazzling Gleam is that it overlaps coverage-wise with your STAB and Focus Blast a lot while not offering a significantly higher (or higher at all,) damage output. HP Ice is definitely the way to go to get the most out of your coverage.
  • Gastrodon- I think you got this guy down-pat. Nothing really should be changed here.
  • Skarmory- While there aren't any big problems with your set here, you have the potential to utilize two moves that will ameliorate you problems with overly offensive/defensive teams. These two moves are Taunt and Whirlwind. Taunt shuts down walls like the Pink Blobs with little effort, while Whirlwind lets you shuffle out setup sweepers. The problem with using either of these is that Skarmory suffers from 4MSS pretty badly already. For reasons beyond my understanding, Gastrodon does not get Stealth Rock, meaning you can't just give him the move to free up a space on Skarmory and call it a day. However, it's the only move that could be considered expendable for Taunt or Whirlwind. Choose wisely, I guess.

I think that's about all I've got for this team. Overall, I think you did a good job with it. There shouldn't be too many changes you'll need to make this the best team it can be. I hope I was helpful!

(Note: I'd like to run some calculations on some stuff, but at the moment Honkalculator is having an existential crisis or something and doesn't want to do math. So, I won't be able to weigh in on some stuff as heavily as I'd like, and I'll be relying more on my gut instinct of how much damage some stuff will do than usual. I may come back and do some calcs for specific threats and such later.)

All right, let's see what we have here.

You seem to have a very good idea of how everything in the team works and, as a whole, the entire thing is well put together. It is balanced, though it tends more towards offense than defense. Overall, none of the choices you made in team-building strike me as wrong or in some way sub-par. There are some suggestions I can make and I'll take a look at what this team really struggles with.

Despite having solid Fire resists in Char-Y and Gastrodon, I do think that the team has a noticeable Fire weakness. This is mostly due to Char-Y bringing Drought with him and having both Magnezone and Skarmory on the team. While Gastrodon does an admirable job of tanking many Fire-type attacks regardless, more powerful foes like +1 Scarf Genesect can still leave huge marks in him and the rest of your team. Other powerful opponents with those type of attacks, notably both Mega Charizards, also present an issue if you put Drought up. While this is hardly a crippling weakness for the team, it's certainly something to keep in mind in battle.

I notice that of your four main offensive Pokemon, three of them are special attackers. This makes special walls, particularly the Pink Blobs, a notable issue. Gastrodon and Salamence can force them out with Toxic or an attack respectively, but are also both susceptible to Toxic. Skarmory can't do enough damage with Brave Bird to take down either Chansey or Blissey without prior damage or poor play on the part of the blobs, though they usually can't do too much back either.

The team also looks like it is a bit weak at grabbing momentum. Teams that utilize VoltTurn strategies may put you in unfavorable positions more often than desired, though as always they require some prediction to work. Char-Y is powerful enough and has good enough coverage where it can give those teams some trouble, but you're often going to be pressured more than the opponent anyway. As your team lacks either Volt Switch or U-Turn, you may find yourself giving the opponent more free turns than you'd like when match-ups aren't exactly in your favor.

Those are the biggest flaws I found, and they are by no means game-breakers. All teams have weaknesses, and this team offsets those weaknesses with some great strengths. You're noticeably less susceptible to status than many other teams, with good switch-ins to all of the major statuses bar Sleep. While teams on the extreme sides of the offensive/defensive spectrum may be troublesome, more moderate teams are rarely such a bother. Your teammates also exhibit great offensive synergy for the most part.

A few remarks about individual team members before I wrap this up;

• Salamence- If you're keeping him around, consider switching out Hydro Pump. It's weakened by the sun your wallbreaker brings with him, making it a fairly weak option in many cases. It needs a Rain boost to OHKO certain Water-weak threats anyway (I'd do some calcs, but as I mentioned earlier, Honkalculator is busy not being a calculator.) While Char-Y may get past the likes of Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Scizor without much hassle, it doesn't hurt to have reliable backup. I believe that with Drought up Flamethrower is a reliable alternative over Fire Blast as well. Of course, this is all moot if you go with a Lum Berry DD Nite set, like the one Srn posted. If Fire weak Pokemon are enough of a non-issue where you can afford to put Hydro Pump on Mence, then you won't mind having a Pokemon that can run ExtremeSpeed in the last slot.
  • Charizard- I'd love to weigh in on Fire Blast vs. Flamethrower, but that'll have to wait until Honkalculator is done doing its thing. For now, I can say that the set is solid Char Y fare. The only thing I can offer in terms of advice is running Air Slash somewhere on the set, though it isn't an objective improvement. Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse both hit specific threats hard. Tyranitar and Heatran fear FB, while other Dragons hate Dragon Pulse. Air Slash is similar, but instead of hitting any of them, it hits Fighting-types harder, particularly AV Conkeldurr. Char Y is actually a pretty good answer for AV Conkeldurr, who can potentially mess up portions of your team and has grown significantly in popularity as of late. If I'm remembering my damage calcs correctly, Air Slash gives Charizard a distinct advantage over Conk, giving you both a good switch-in and check. You need to decide whether that's worth giving up Focus Miss or Dragon Pulse though.
  • Magnezone- The only thing I wanna bring up here is the subject of Flash Cannon vs. Volt Switch. I don't know what particularly you're hitting with Flash Cannon, as you have better options versus most Fairies, and most things you'd wanna trap are weak to either Thunderbolt or HP Fire. Volt Switch gives your other team members more safe switches in, and may be a better fit over Flash Cannon. You don't need to run Specs with it if you don't wanna be locked in though. That's totally reasonable.
  • Alakazam- The problem with Dazzling Gleam is that it overlaps coverage-wise with your STAB and Focus Blast a lot while not offering a significantly higher (or higher at all,) damage output. HP Ice is definitely the way to go to get the most out of your coverage.
  • Gastrodon- I think you got this guy down-pat. Nothing really should be changed here.
  • Skarmory- While there aren't any big problems with your set here, you have the potential to utilize two moves that will ameliorate you problems with overly offensive/defensive teams. These two moves are Taunt and Whirlwind. Taunt shuts down walls like the Pink Blobs with little effort, while Whirlwind lets you shuffle out setup sweepers. The problem with using either of these is that Skarmory suffers from 4MSS pretty badly already. For reasons beyond my understanding, Gastrodon does not get Stealth Rock, meaning you can't just give him the move to free up a space on Skarmory and call it a day. However, it's the only move that could be considered expendable for Taunt or Whirlwind. Choose wisely, I guess.

I think that's about all I've got for this team. Overall, I think you did a good job with it. There shouldn't be too many changes you'll need to make this the best team it can be. I hope I was helpful!
Thanks a ton for the rate! It definitely helps. I've already decided to replace Salamence with DD Dragonite. I just haven't been home to make the changes to the OP yet. Haven't decided on Lum berry vs Weakness Policy yet though. The latter seems better more often in testing.

The blobs are a big problem, and I'm going to experiment with a mix char-y set to remedy this.

As for flash cannon vs Volt Switch on Magnezone, I haven't ever really been in a situation where I really wished I had volt switch and flash cannon lets me hit Landorus and Gliscor really hard. I'll try it regardless, since there is some merit to it and I trust your judgment.

I'll definitely try Taunt/Whirlwind over SR on skarmory, since SR isn't vital vs most teams.

Bump. Updated the OP with the suggested changes that have been working out quite well. Thanks for the suggestions again, guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)