ORAS OU First Team-- Mega Beedrill

Hey guys!

I have been playing pokemon since gen 3, but have just started to get into competitive battling, and this is my first try at a team.

Beedrill-Mega (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

I picked Beedrill as my mega to be a physical sweeper, setting up with a swords dance and then using its high attack, speed, and move coverage to OHKO a large amount of pokemon. My problem with Beedrill is the struggle to switch in on anything except grass types.

Dragonite (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite is the pokemon I often lead off with and I use to switch in to pokemon I would otherwise have a tough time against, especially with multiscale and weakness policy. Dragonite is another fast attacker, something I probably have too much of, but with some speed traded off for extra defenses. I have fire punch for steel types, especially Ferroseed.

Azumarill (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Tail
- Knock Off
- Superpower

I use Azumarill as a very bulky attacker. Huge power gives him plenty of damage output and assault vest makes him extra tanky. On top of this, I use the fairy and water typing as a great switch in to dragons and many others.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Chansey is my stall tank and unfortunately my only pokemon with stealth rocks. Chansey is able to effectively toxic stall against a wide variety of pokemon. I'm not sure if its bad to rely on chansey for rocks though. Also not very effective against steel and poison types.

Bisharp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Bisharp is another strong attacker that can do lots of work if it is set up, but it lacks speed and ultimately I don't know how to properly utilize it. I use knock off against tanks to stop healing and basically shut down Chansey, and Iron Head is good enough STAB physical damage to take down most pokemon it two to three hits. I often struggle to get Bisharp in play without too much damage and dying quickly to things like earthquake.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Gengar is my special attacker. Dazzling gleam provides fairy coverage and HP Fire to get those darn steel types. I used to have crobat here which gave me a defogger, but I switched him out because he wasn't doing anything most of the time. Gengar, along with Bisharp, is the pokemon I have most seriously considered switching out.

What do you guys think? How could I change my team to get more control of hazards? What could I do to get better results out of my last two pokemon?
Thanks!

Hey there! For starters, I like that you're using an uncommon Mega. Bringing uncommon teams is great for the metagame I feel, cause it's pretty stale right now.

I have a few things to say before I actually recommend sets:

Mega Beedrill, while being a fast threat, is extremely frail. It's almost impossible to switch it in on anything. To remedy this, it should be used with a Volt-Turn Core. That being, used with other Pokemon that have a slow Volt Switch or U-Turn.

Next, your team doesn't seem to have a real (for lack of a better word) "intent" at the moment. Beedrill, Gengar, Bisharp and Azumarill are all extremely offensive mons that benefit off of the momentum of other pokemon and like their checks and counters weakened before starting to do work, but Chansey and Dragonite are two mons that like to stay in and take hits while setting up either status or boosting moves, respectively. My suggestions are based off the assumption that you want to stick with the use of Mega Beedrill, and I believe the changes I have suggested below will give your team a direction toward being a formidable Hyper Offense squad.

That being said, here are my suggestions:

Defensive Landorus-T > Chansey
As I stated before, Chansey is a pokemon that slows down the momentum of your team and keeps you from continually putting up pressure. Landorus-T provides what you need out of Chansey, being Stealth Rock and a defensive Pokemon to take hits with, while adding a U-turn user to your team to keep up momentum and strong attacks in Earthquake and Stone Edge to help check threats to your team such as Heatran and Talonflame that threaten your Mega Beedrill and other mons.

Life Orb Latios > Dragonite
Latios provides a check to Keldeo and Rotom-W which otherwise would be massive threats to your team, with Keldeo able to OHKO 4/6 mons on your team and Rotom-W able to burn and annoy your team immensely. Draco Meteor has a 12% chance to OHKO the standard Rotom-W set from full, and Psyshock deals with Keldeo nicely. It also provides a much needed Defog user to the team. With your main sweeper, Beedrill, being weak to rocks, it's important to keep them off the field.

Choice Band Azumarill > Assault Vest
AV Azumarill is a set better put to use on a balanced team than on an offensive team like this. Choice Band is mean to break holes in the enemy team's walls and provide a strong priority move in STAB Aqua Jet. AV is simply too weak for this build.

Beedrill Set
Your Beedrill set needs some work. First of all, Jolly > Adamant is important. The purpose of Mega Beedrill is to abuse its speed with its ability, Adaptability, to hit hard with its STAB moves, put up pressure and annoy the enemy team by having constant momentum. Outspeeding scarfers and +1 boosted mons with Jolly is much more important than the slight power boost you get from Adamant. Secondly, you should ALWAYS run Protect on Mega Beedrill. As I said, the point of Mega Beedrill is to use its speed to be an annoyance. Therefore, you always need a turn to get the Mega Evolution off and get said speed. Lastly, you should be using U-turn > X-Scissor. I've said it a million times already, Beedrill is a momentum based pokemon, so it's important to keep momentum up.

Bisharp EV spread
Bisharp greatly appreciates being able to outspeed common defensive Landorus-T and Rotom-W variations, and therefore I believe you should run a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe with a Jolly Nature.

Here are the sets:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Protect

Bisharp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)