1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First Team Since Gen IV!!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by WhoDaThunk, Mar 28, 2013.

1. WhoDaThunk

WhoDaThunk

I got into competitive Pokemon in Gen IV, but after a while I just fell away from it. My friends recently started playing again, and it brought back my spark! At first I was only doing Gen IV teams, but seeing as most people have moved on to Black/White, I feel it is necessary to as well! I created this team mostly with my knowledge of Gen IV and articles on B/W, so i know there will be much room for improvement. All criticism is welcomed and appreciated!

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Taunt

I will, if possible, lead with Terrakion. In the games I have played, Many are intimidated by his big STAB moves. If I feel they will switch, I can set up Stealth Rocks for free. With Taunt, I can stop setup of opponent Stealth Rocks or even an early sweep setup. I can switch him in to take a Dark-type move that might otherwise take out my Latios.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit
    - Crunch

I have loved Tyranitar for as long as I remember. He is a complete powerhouse, and through Sand Stream, gains 50% SpD, as does Terrakion. With Choice Band, he is even more threatening. Ghost/Psychic types facing against him don"t have much hope, risking a Pursuit if they attempt a switch, or a devastating Crunch if they decide to stay. One of his biggest counters is Scizor, which is why i have Magnezone on the team. When that threat is gone, not much stands in his way.

[​IMG]
    Latios (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Surf
    - Roost

I knew when I was creating this team I wanted a heavy-hitter that would synchronize well with Tyranitar, and Latios exceeded my expectations. With this set, I try to bait a Fighting-type move on Tyranitar and switch to Latios to allow at least 1 Calm Mind for free. So far that's all its taken for nearly full sweeps. Leftovers helps nullify the damage i take from the attack while switching in and pair with Roost gives great sustain.

[​IMG]
    Magnezone @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Volt Switch

Scisor is such a big threat, especially to Tyranitar. I needed someone to get rid of him, and any other Steel-type threats that would otherwise go unchecked. Dual-Screens just give a little more protection against the opponent's heavy-hitters. Volt Switch usually gives a free switch-in for one of my sweepers

[​IMG]
    Scizor (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Iron Head
    - Aerial Ace

Scisor is probably my favorite revenge killer ever. His variety of movesets always keep opponents guessing. With this set, I wanted to have most types covered for successful revenge kills. U-turn can take out weak Pokes and let me switch for free. I feel I have a big advantage before the opponent figures out my item,and i try to capitalize on that.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Ball

Jellicent is the special wall of my team, and it does a great job. I use it primarily as a spin blocker and to absorb damage from Water/Fighting-type attacks, while letting it stall with Toxic/Recover. It can handle other Ghost-types relatively well with Shadow Ball, and Scald can burn to help fend off physical attackers.
  2. Nyron777

Nyron777

Hey might I recommend a switch of iron head>>>bullet punch for priority and aerial ace>>> pursuit for trapping latias which could give you some trouble. If your gonna use calm mind use latias she has more bulk which means she might live an extra hit latios can't also if you insist on using latios use

Latios @ choice specs

Timid
    252sp atk 252 spd 4hp

-surf
    -Draco meteor
    -hidden power fire
    -psyshock

This set uses stab and powerful moves gives mice coverage against ferrothorn which this team might struggle against once terrakion dies by a scizor gl nice team
  3. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Hi there!

Pretty cool Sand team you got hre, with good use of a potent threat in Focus Sash Terrakion and Calm Mind Latios, so huge props on using both of them in your team. However, you are weak to many potent threats in the Metagames and hopefully my rate will help your team not only combat the threats, but it will also help iron out some flaws that I can also see. With all that said, let's get on to my rate. First off, as mentioned before, you have some threats that you may have trouble handling, with the biggest one being Dragon Dance Dragonite. Dragonite can come in on a Choice locked Scizor, set up 2 Dragon Dances, and completely obliterate your team with the combination of Outrage, Fire Punch, and Earthquake. For these reasons, I would recommend running a Physically Defensive Skarmory over your current Magnezone. With Skarmory, you will be able to beat Dragonite, as he can come in as Dragonite boosts, and then Whirlwind its boosts away, while not being OHKO'd by a +1 Fire Punch. Skarmory also provides Spikes support, which is also very helpful in supporting a Latios sweep. I don't really believe Scizor threatens this team much, as Jellicent can wall it, no matter what set it's running. Now, I would like to make some nitpicks that could make your team better. First up, I would like to suggest trying out Ice Beam on your Jellicent over Shadow Ball. Ice Beam is a real solid move that helps hit dragons such as Dragonite and Salamence hard, while also providing good coverage against Grass types. Finally, I would definitely suggest running a Choice Band variant of Scizor over your current Choice Scarf variant. Choice Band Scizor is a very dangeous and powerful Revenge-Killer, dealing out huge damage to whatever switches in to it, while also providing some excellent momentum with U-Turn. That's about all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

Skarmory & Scizor (open)

[​IMG]
    Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
    - Brave Bird​

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - U-Turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit​

TL;DR (open)

• Magnezone [​IMG] ------------------> Physically Defensive Skarmory[​IMG]
    • Scizor [​IMG]: Choice Scarf -> Choice Band​
    • Jellicent [​IMG]: Shadow Ball -> Ice Beam​

~Dr Ciel~
  4. WhoDaThunk

WhoDaThunk

Thanks guys! I've noticed that Earthquake really hurts my team. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)