1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First Team: Speedy Fists

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Racko27, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Racko27

Racko27

Hi. This is my first team I have made and I have gone into quite extensive research on each of my choices to make it. I would be increadiablly gratefull for any suggestions to improve my team. Now, without further ado, my team:

It is built around my arcanine which I always use. I use him because of his of his quite good movepool and very good stats (imo). Any pokemon using Leftovers is because I felt that any other item would not be benefical to the way I like to play and I know very little about hold items.

Arcanine:

Nature: Adament

Item: Leftovers

EV: 120 HP/ 152 atk/ 236 spd

Ability: Intimidate

Moves:
    Flamethrower
    Extreme Speed
    Toxic
    Thuder Fang

Because his Atk is stronger than his SpA I have choosen to go mainly physical, as the movepool shows. Flamethrower is the exception but it does gain STAB and it offers no recoil, unlike flare blitz. Thuder Fang helps it deal with the weaker water types and Extreme Speed is there to deal damage to those I can't get a super effective bonus on. Toxic is there because of how fragile Arcanine is and to make use of its speed. Toxic is used when I think I am going to lose my Arcanine in the next turn. Intimidate helps it survive longer to make use of its movepool.

Starmie:

Nature: Timid

EV: 4 HP/ 252 spA/ 252 Spe

Ability: Natural Cure

Moves:
    Surf
    Ice beam
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

My tactic generally involves hitting first over bulk so Starmie was my choice for a water type. Most Starmie's use Rapid spin but I thought it better to make use of its high SpA so left it out. Surf, Ice beam and thunderbolt can deal a hefty amount of damage to a lot of pokemon that may pose a threat. Ice Beam deals with most grass types and can help against dragons. Thuderbolt can take out water types or serverly hurt them and surf is its STAB water move. Recover is used to keep it alive. Its high speed and decent defences help with this. Natural Cure prevents it from being annoyed much by inflictions.

Machamp:

Nature: Adamant

Ev: 128 HP/248 Atk/ 16 SpD/ 4 Spe

Ability: No Guard

Moves:
    DynamicPunch
    Payback
    Poison Jab
    Icepunch

Machamp is a very, very good physical attacker when it hits and No Guard assures this. It does have low defences but when it gets started it can 2HKO almost all commen Pokemon. A 100% accurate STAB DynamicPunch is an amazingly powerfull move from this fighter and can hit almost anything. Icepunch is used to hurt Dragons and Flyings. I picked this over Stone edeg to avoid recoil because of Machamps low defences. Poison Jab is used to pick of weakened foes and annoy with ist chance of poisoning the target. Payback is used to hurt ghosts and physic types aswell as gain double damage from those who hit first.

Salamence:

Nature: Naive

Item: Yache Berry

EV: 252 Atk/ 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Ability:
    Undecided

Moves:
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower

I haven't decided whether to get a Moxie or a intimidate Salamance yet. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. Dragon Dance is there to boost this dragons already high Atk and Spe stats to suprass those who claim higher. Dragon claw is its STAB physical move of choice because it doesn't confuse like Outrage, although it lacks sweeping skill. Earthquake and Flamthrower are used to hurt its weaknesses (apart from Dragon) and pick off targets who there effective against.

Froslass:

Nature: Timid

EV: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe

Ability: Cursed Body

Moves:
    Ice Beam
    Pain Split
    Shadow Ball
    Spikes

Cursed Body will help those who switch on Froslass if it dies to revenge kill the target and set up sweeps. Froslass is a speedy Ghost/Ice type with a good movepool. Most Froslass sets I have seen use Taunt but I don't think it is as usefull as having a second STAB move of a different type. Feel free to say whether I should change this. Pain spilt is very useful as a form of recovery against Bulkly pokemon and may even damage the target. Shadow Ball and Ice beam are there to deal STAB damage to targets when they have been weakened before hand (I switch Froslass after using spikes and send it back at times to revenge kill, avoiding leaving it too long unless there is a tank on field like a Snorlax). Spikes is there to give residual damage to the other team and Froslass is possiablly the best for setting one up because of its speed. Spikes also help 1HKO from teammates such as Machamp and help set it up to sweep.

Metagross:

Item: Air Balloon

Nature:Adamant

EV: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def

Ability:Clear Body

Moves:
    Hammer Arm
    Meteor Mash
    Physic
    Bullet Punch

With Froslass using Spikes, I don't have to give my Metagross Stealth rock, freeing up a move. With high Def and decent SpD, Metagross isn't easy to kill right out without a super effective or boosted move, allowing it make good use of its high Atk. Hammer Arm is there to deal a strong amount of damage to its main worries like Heatran. Meteor Mash, STAB and high base power, is a good move to deal high damage to threats such as Tyranitor. Its only drawback is its low accruacy but it does give the chance to raise Att on stage so that can way it up. Physic is there to add some extra coverge and deal some extra damage. Bullet punch is there to kill off weaken foes. AIr Balloon is there to dodge a possiable 1HKO Earthquake

And thats my team. Like I said it is my first and I would be very grateful for some critisim and suggestions on it. Thanks if read this far.
  2. SA1TS

SA1TS

Hi Racko27

First off add some pics and maybe expand the descriptions of each pokes role in your team and as HoiPolloi said, add items. A easy way to get good formatting is using the "export text" option in PO.

In the meantime you can try the following changes to your team:

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb/Expert Belt/Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Close Combat
    - Wild Charge

Arcanine should stay physical, max his best stats and give it the best coverage possible. Flash fire to help cover Froslass and Scizor.

Starmie @ Life Orb/Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

Your team needs Rapid Spin, as Salamence, Froslass and Arcanine are all SR weak.

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    - Substitute
    - DynamicPunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Bullet Punch/Ice Punch/Payback

Sub eases prediction and puts pressure on your opponent. Stone edge doesnt deal recoil damage and its only down side is poor accuracy which No Guard negates, use it- it gives great coverage alongside DynamicPunch. Bullet Punch for priority or Ice Punch to beat up Gliscor, Landorus and dragons. Payback is an option to nail Psychic and Ghosts harder. Don't use Poison Jab, ever...

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

If Salamenece isn't scarfed it appreciates Intimidate to ease set-up. Lum Berry helps set-up or to heal confusion from Outrage.

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Ice Beam
    - Destiny Bond

Taunt is a fantastic move on something as fast as Froslass, preventing the opponent setting up. Froslass doesn't hit hard even with full SAtk investment so 1 attack to check Dragons is more than enough, she's better off supporting than attacking. Destiny Bond allows her to take down a foe after she's done her job of laying down spikes and works well with her speed and Taunt.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

If Metagross isn't going to lay down rocks you may as well use Scizor. Its Bullet Punch hits much harder and it can scout with U-Turn. Superpower mangles most steels and Tyranitar. Pursuit is boosted by Technician and can catch fleeing Lati@s etc.

I'll play test the above and give you more feedback if you're keen for the changes.
  3. Racko27

Racko27

I will try those changes out, thanks. I was not to keen on Taunt as I have never found it too useful but I am willingly to try it again and I never considered Destiny Bond (that's genius).
    Thanks
  4. Racko27

Racko27

Ok just done quite a bit of testing of your suggestions and my orginal set again and I have concluded that I suck at making teams. I am going to start again from scratch, using some observations made from my testing.
    Thanks for your help though
  5. labarith

labarith

6. SA1TS

SA1TS

No problem, good luck

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)