1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

First Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Armin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Armin

Armin

Hey there everyone, I'm new to competitive Pokemon, and I've made a few teams, but none of them seemed to work. I've tried out every tier, and I decided to actually spend more time on the OU tier. I've made a team, and I'd really like some feedback on it. I've been having trouble with certain Pokemon, and I really don't know what is best to keep, and change. Well, here it is:

[​IMG]
    Garchomp @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    - Dual Chop

The reason why I chose Garchomp was because I needed a Pokemon to start with, and I was considering the other dragon types in the tier, but Garchomp stood out to me the most. Outrage, Earthquake, and Fire Fang are pretty much explanatory but the reason why I chose Dual Chop over Dragon Claw was to be able to break substitutes, and then do some extra damage. I hate substitutes. I'd like to use Garchomp for this team, but I'm open to suggestions for any other dragon.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 SDef / 12 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Lava Plume
    - Protect
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic

Oh boy, Heatran. I chose him cause he provides great coverage from certain types, and he's also really bulky. I gave him Lava Plume for some damage type, Protect for stalling/scouting, Rocks for hazards, and Toxic because I like toxic more than t-wave. Overall, great guy. He also deserves Toxic because I had Roar on him before but it felt easier giving Roar to Vaporeon. I just need to be more careful with ground moves.

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Surf
    -Trick

Old Choice:
    Show Hide
    Magneton @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Volt Switch

Switched Magnezone to Magneton for speed. Magneton was a tough choice. I chose him with Scarf because I needed some sort of revenge killer, and Magneton also provides good coverage from attacks, but it isn't bulky. I have all sorts of moves available to use, and I usually just switch out after Magneton does his job. He feels strong, but sometimes he feels weak. But I guess he is mainly for the revenge killing aspect.

[​IMG]
    Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Grass Knot
    - Volt Switch

I liked this choice. It's expert belt makes the enemy think whether it's holding a choice item or not. Expert Belt really has a good use for this set because I do tons of damage to certain Pokemon. I couldn't decide between Grass Knot, and Focus Blast so I just went for Grass Knot to counter certain things like Gastrodon. (Which I barely see so I may switch the two skills or even try an agility set thundurus-T)

Old Choice:
    Show Hide
    Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 72 HP / 252 Spd / 184 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Roost

Replaced Thundurus-T with this guy. He resists certain threats of my team such as Keldeo, and Venasaur.

[​IMG]
    Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 244 Def / 252 HP / 12 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Scald
    - Roar

Switched from Vaporeon to Slowbro, and now back to Vaporeon. Vaporeon is my other bulky Pokemon. I ran Starmie before this, but I realized I needed Vaporeon a lot more. The Roar saves my ass so much especially when they try setting up on me. Wish, and protect are there for when they are needed. Scald is the basic move here. I still need a rapid spinner but I don't know who. Cloyster didn't really work for me cause of the fighting weakness.

Old Choice:

Show Hide
    Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Slack Off
    - Thunder Wave
    - Scald
    - Psyshock

[​IMG]
    Breloom @ Fighting Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Spore
    - Low Sweep

- Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed

Old Choice:
    Show Hide
    Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Spore
    - Drain Punch
    - Facade

Okay, the main problems I have with this team is I feel like there's some stuff that really counters my team. It might be that I play bad, but I really don't know how to explain it. Whenever someone has Arena Trap, or something similar, I am screwed. I've also faught weather teams alot, it seems out of the 10 games I've played, 7 have been weather teams. I win a few, I lose a few, it depends how I play. I think I need a resistance to fighting, because I don't really have a safe switch in for a fighting move except Thundurus-T, or Vaporeon.

EDIT:Okay, I've made the necessary changes, but weather teams are really scaring me. Whether it's rain, sun, sandstorm, or hail, they all cripple me. Especially with no rapid spinner, and with some dangerous threats. Some things like Sandslash in the sand outspeeds my team. I'm thinking of who to replace for a rapid spinner, and more importantly someone that can outspeed others after Latios dies.

I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks for your time for reading if you have done so.
  2. Mr. Green

Mr. Green

Hi, there

The team is very weak Mamoswine to solve this weakness rather substantial suggest you try Slowbro> Vaporeon, Slowbro as well as providing coverage to Mamoswine, abusing Thunder Wave helps against Keldeo, another tough opponent for this team. Furthermore, since I've read that you did not have a valid counter moves to fight, Slowbro is perfect for taking the fight moves, thanks to Regenerator also recovers HP also once replaced.

Now I would like to change some things in moveset of Breloom, that as it is completely stalled by Jellicent, and is not able to hit even Hippowdon Defense and other Pokemon Ground similar, read from the description that Breloom that you like, but it would be more efficient using Seed Bomb> Facade, also to hit Jellicent Ground and in general, so you're stalled by many Pokemon, Focus Punch, is best suited for a set with Substitute, taking advantage of its many do more damage when hit than Drain Punch which the fact as a convenience to recover HP, which already recoveries with Toxic Orb, then I suggest Seed Bomb> Facade Focus Punch> Drain Punch, for a set Toxic Orber. While if you want to switch to a set Bulk Upper, then it is more convenient to set aside Substitute, as Breloom must already deal with use Bulk Up to attack, to worry even the Substitute, then it becomes too much and risk that goes KO yet until I have done some damage.
    I set Bulk Upper do not recommend it, just because it takes too much to attack, the moveset Toxic Orber prefer it for its ability to put immediate pressure and do damage with Spore and Substitute and of course the two STAB Focus Punch and Seed Bomb.
    Good luck, with your team!

tl;dr
    Show Hide

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Slack Off
    - Thunder Wave
    - Psyshock
    - Scald

Seed Bomb > Facade (for Breloom)
    Focus Punch > Drain Punch (for Breloom)
  3. Armin

Armin

Hey there, thanks for giving me a nice suggestion. I'm liking the Slowbro choice, but I still haven't played a game with this new team yet, and I'll let you know how it goes after a few games. I'm not a big fan of Focus Punch on Breloom, is there possibly any other set I could run that includes Spore and still benefits my team?

EDIT: Okay, I've played a few games, about 5 or so, and won 4 of them! I sort of need some kind of Rapid Spin, because entry hazards really cripple my team, or any team in that matter. I just don't know who to replace to have a rapid spinner. Also, I need some sort of way to stop people setting up on me, like a skill like Roar, or Haze would be nice. Also, is it viable to remove Psyshock/Scald for Yawn? Cause Yawn is a good alternative to Roar.
  4. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

For a first team this is quite good, nice job!

So the first things first, if you're going to use Choice Scarf Magnezone, I must recommend you changing it to a Choice Scarf Magneton. Magneton is one of the few Pokemon who actually becomes slower when they evolve, much like Scyther. Since your running a Choice Scarf you value speed over bulk in which case Magneton is the stronger choice. Two notable Pokemon +1 Magneton outspeeds over Magnezone are +1 Gyarados and Dragonite. Both of these Pokemon are large threats to your team as they outspeed everything at +1 and your best bet is to Roar with Vaporeon. Keep the set the exact same, simply swap Magnezone out for Magneton.

The two biggest threats I see for your team are Keldeo and Venusaur. While Vaporeon is actually a descent check to Keldeo, with Water Absorb and its high physical bulk for Secret Sword, your team has a lot of trouble against last stand Keldeo's. Vaporeon can no longer Roar it out and must hope for a Scald burn, which won't happen if Keldeo carries Sub, which they often do. Plus Magneton will not be able to revenge kill if it has a Sub, Calm Minds, or is Scarfed, again all common conditions. Venusaur is very much a problem, a set of HP Ice/EQ/Grass Move tears your team a new one, and is a common wall breaking set found on Sun teams. Also as you mention, many Sun teams carry Dugtrio to rid your side of Heatran, who when gone lets EQless Venusaur destroy you.

For these weakness I suggest running an Offensive Latias. With a set of its bulk and plethora of resistances it can handle both Keldeo and Venusaur. With just a little investment in bulk it will always survive +2 Sludge Bombs from Venusaur, and can handle at least one LO HP Ice to revenge kill. Its also pretty much the best offensive Keldeo check in existence. I suggest running Keldeo over Thundurus-T as it seems to be doing the least amount for your team.

Finally I want to suggest running a Technician set on Breloom. You're already running a very offensive spread and with Technician you'll find Breloom handles much more of the metagame. Plus its powerful priority will 'quicken' Breloom up as you noted you felt it was too slow, plus it allows you to revenge kill Terrakion who is definitely a large threat to your team. Also with a Jolly Nature you outspeed Adamant Mamoswine and can Mach Punch them before they Ice Shard you, which Mr. Green pointed out is a big threat.

Good Luck!

Sets (open)
    [​IMG]Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 72 HP / 252 Spd / 184 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Roost

[​IMG]Breloom @ Fighting Gem
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Spore
    - Swords Dance
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
  5. Armin

Armin

Thanks for the advice! I'm liking these new choices, but I wasn't sure if I should switch Latias for Thundurus-T, because Thundurus-T has been doing work for my team, because supposedly people assume it's a choiced Pokemon. But it's not. Either way, I haven't tried the new team out, and I'll do so later, and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help!
  6. Nova

Nova Samsung Alpaca
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Hi Armin

Welcome to Smogon! This is a really solid first team and I can see that your team has great synergy. Now as you mentioned, your team has some trouble with Fighting types such as Terrakion and Keldeo. Even with Slowbro, Terrakion's Close Combat can still severely damage your team as can Keldeo's Hydro Pumps and Secret Swords. Making the change from Vaporeon to Slowbro helps a bit with these weaknesses but Choice Band Terrakion has a chance to 2HKO Slowbro with Stone Edge with some entry hazards and as Joeyboy mentioned you still have a major weakness to Chlorophyll Venusaur. Under sunlight, Venusaur outspeeds your entire team and can hit hard with its standard coverage of Giga Drain and Hidden Power Fire while Sun teams usually pack a Dugtrio to get rid of Heatran so he can't reliably serve as a check. For these threats, I suggest replacing Scarf Magnezone with a Choice Scarf Latios with a moveset of Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Surf / Trick. Latios can outspeed Scarf and Salac Berry variants of Terrakion and Keldeo and hit them hard with a STAB Super Effective Psyshock. Latios can outspeed Modest versions of Chlorophyll Venusaur under the sun and take out the frog with a Psyshock. Draco Meteor is a powerful move to fire off whenever the opportunity presents itself and Surf offers some coverage against the likes of Heatran and Skarmory. Trick is a great move in the last moveslot as it cripples common checks to Latios that he can not break through such as Ferrothorn and Jellicent. Magnezone is the most replaceable member on your team as Garchomp, Heatran, and Breloom already beat most Steel types so his Steel trapping ability is not really required.

Now for a smaller change. I agree with Joeyboy in changing your Breloom set to a Technician Breloom but I would go with a moveset of Spore / Mach Punch / Low Sweep / Bullet Seed. Breloom poses a huge offensive presence and has the 100% guaranteed Sleep move in Spore that allows you to cripple an opposing Pokemon. Priority Mach Punch helps works around Brelooms rather middling speed. I suggest Low Sweep on this set as it allows you to 2HKO things such as Latios on the switch in by dropping his Speed by 1 stage, allowing you to outspeed and go for the KO the second turn.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Sets:
    Show Hide
    Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Surf
    -Trick

Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    -Spore
    -Mach Punch
    -Low Sweep
    -Bullet Seed

tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Choice Scarf Magnezone ----> Choice Scarf Latios
    Breloom ----> Technician Breloom
  7. Armin

Armin

Okay, I've made the necessary changes, but weather teams are really scaring me. Whether it's rain, sun, sandstorm, or hail, they all cripple me. Especially with no rapid spinner, and with some dangerous threats. Some things like Sandslash in the sand outspeeds my team. I'm thinking of who to replace for a rapid spinner, and more importantly someone that can outspeed others after Latios dies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)