FIVE ITEMS (playable on Aqua)

approved by Eevee General

PLAYABLE AT THE AQUA SERVER<<Click Here To Play

What if there were new items that introduced huge new possibilities for team building? This meta isn't about rearranging all the factors or buffing the weak pokemon, but rather introducing entirely new team roles. New ways to support your team, and new ways to threaten the opponent.

THE ITEMS

Bright Powder
Using a non damaging move switches out the holder.
Using a non damaging move switches out the holder, but only affects moves with 0 priority.
Allows for fast and frail pokemon to act as ninja pivots and speedy clerics, throwing status conditions, hazards, and creating safe entry for friends. Rewards pokemon with high speed and support movepools. Can be a devastating trick onto walls.

Example Users

Accelgor @ BrightPowder
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Bug Buzz
- Spikes
- Guard Split
- Toxic
Accelgor has an incredibly easy time setting up spikes, acting as an excellent lead and pivot throughout the game. Guard split punishes walls like heatran and gliscor who enter to absorb status. Defenses are dropped even lower to maximize guard split as accelgor can hardly take a hit regardless. Weakness to stealth rock means Accelgor will need team support to maximize his usefulness.

Serperior @ BrightPowder
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Aromatherapy
- Reflect
Serperior's speed and bulk allow it to enter multiple times during a game and provide its team with healing from leech seed and aromatheraphy. Reflect lets teammates enter on physically offensive threats, or simply provides setup chances for sweepers. Thanks to Contrary it can provide decent offensive support to the team as well.

Spell Tag
Doubles chance of secondary effects for attacks with stat drops and status effects.
Doubles chance of secondary effects for attacks with stat drops and status effects. (Moves can not drop accuracy.)
This item creates mildly offensive saboteurs, making moves like scald and discharge into reliable ways to spread status. Rewards bulky pokemon with diverse move pools.

Example Users

Milotic @ Spell Tag
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Dragon Breath
- Dragon Tail
- Recover
Spell tag gives scald a 60% chance to burn, and dragon breath 60% chance to paralyze. This make Milotic capable of spreading crippling status throughout the enemy team while gettitng chip damage from its attacks and being generally bulky.

Breloom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Technician
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
- Force Palm
- Bullet Seed
- Stone Edge
- Synthesis
With force palm receiving boosts both from technician AND spell tag, it becomes a powerful stab that can quickly put Breloom into favorable matchups against faster pokemon who might resist him like Latios.

Armor Fossil
Boosts the holder’s Defense by 1.5x, but they can only use damaging moves.
Boosts the holder’s Defense by 1.5x, but they can only use damaging moves.
The physical version of assault vest, this will create new dependable offensive physical tanks much like the current special ones like Goodra, or even new mixed tanks like Conkeldurr.

Example Users

Rhyperior @ Armor Fossil
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Megahorn
With a permanant +1 to its defense, Rhyperior takes less 50% from life orb Terrakion's close combat and OHKO's him in return. Non super effective/unboosted hits do even more pitiful damage, making him a consistently good check to physical attackers in general. Wish support keeps him around for a long time.

Celebi @ Armor Fossil
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Celebi is already an decent check to many offensive threats in the OU metagame, and Armor Fossil only enforces this further. Gigadrain and natural cure serve to greatly extend its longevity as it walls threats like Azumarill, even beating choice band knockoff 1v1.

Dragon Fang
Holder’s attacks do 1.33x damage, and has 1.33x speed, but loses 25% of their remaining HP each time they use an attack.
Holder’s attacks do 1.33x damage, and has 1.33x speed, but loses 25% of their remaining HP each time they use an attack. If the holder has 3 or less HP left when attacking, Dragon fang causes them to faint. Damage from this item is not prevented by magic guard or sheer force.
This item creates suicide sweepers, though it is not necessarily the go to item for all attackers. The risks are huge, and frankly choice items give a bigger boost while life orb is more reliable in the long run. Still, it lets a select few pokemon become incredibly dangerous sweeprs/wall breakers.

Example Users

Chandelure @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Memento/trick
Chandelure's 145 special attack is put to good use as it wipes huge chunks out of enemy teams with the largely unresisted Shadow Ball and powerful fireblasts. Memento lets Chandelure decide when it dies, and setup for its teammates once its job is done. Trick lets it steal the leftovers off a wall that was standing in its way and just really ruin its day. With Dragon Fang Chandelure outruns unboosted base 120s.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Explosion
Landorus outspeeds base 135s and hits like a truck. It can even blast through some physical walls like Gliscor with explosion to allow your dragon dancer to clean up the rest of the team.

Lagging Tail
When the holder uses the move dragon tail, instead of switching out the target it removes all hazards and leech seed from your side of the field.
When the holder uses the move dragon tail, instead of switching out the target it removes all hazards and leech seed from your side of the field. Dragon tail has 0 priority.
A new option for hazards removal, many pokemon can drop their sweeping/recovery items and one move slot to greatly support the team. Defoggers and rapid spinners still have the advantage of being able to carry another item.

Example Users

Scrafty @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Punch
With good bulk, stealth rock resistance, and a recovery move, scrafty can reliably enter the match multiple times to remove hazards and also provide support with knock off.

Hydreigon @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Focusblast
- Dragon Tail
Hydreigon takes advantage of its many resistances and strong offensive presence to act as an offensive hazard remover. It forces out many pokemon, allowing him to do his job easily. He can also opt to go for roost for longevity.

Ban list: The current OU ban list still stands. As far as I know, none of these items un-break the likes of genesect or Blaziken.

What move sets are working for you?

"What if some of these items are overall broken, or just don't add anything new/interesting to the metagame?"
I'm fully open to balancing the effects of these items, or replacing them with better ones.

"Will you want to add more items in the future?"
I have no plans to, but bad items may have to be reworked/replaced. We'll see how the first five play out.

Inspired by the noble items. Keep up the awesome work!

Last edited:
I super like the Brightpowder idea. Can't really speculate on what kind of impact it might have, but yeah. I guess Dragon Fang seems pretty redundant when Life Orb and the choice items are already around though.

Wait... does Spell Tag add on to Serene Grace's effects?
If so, Togekiss may be OU again...
Spell tag specifically only affects secondary effects that lower stats, or cause status conditions. There were three things I did not want it to do:
1-Boost your own stats. The top users would just be charge beam sweepers. We have plenty of setup sweepers.
2-Lower accuracy. Evasion, confusion, and luck shenanigans in general are unhealthy for the game. Smogon has already had multiple bans for that reason.
3-Cause flinch. Flinch is neither a stat drop nor a status condition, and so is not boosted by spell tag. It would just cause more luck based scenarios, or shut down any pokemon slower than Jolly Jirachi.

EDIT: Looking closer, the serene grace users do have crazy stuff going on with Spell Tag:

Never Move Again (Togekiss) @ Spell Tag
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Body Slam
- Air Slash
- Shadow Ball
- Roost
Body Slam is guaranteed paralysis, and Shadow Ball has an 80% chance to lower special defense. The flinch hax set is about the same, but could serene tag users potentially act as special wall breakers?

I'll look more into the Serene Grace+Spell Tag combo and see if it breaks any pokemon.

Last edited:

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "Five Items",
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite'],
        mod: 'fiveitems'
    },
mods/fiveitems/items.js
Code:
exports.BattleItems = {
    "armorfossil": {
        inherit: true,
        onModifyDefPriority: 1,
        onModifyDef: function (def) {
            return this.chainModify(1.5);
        },
        onModifyPokemon: function (pokemon) {
            var moves = pokemon.moveset;
            for (var i = 0; i < moves.length; i++) {
                if (this.getMove(moves[i].move).category === 'Status') {
                    moves[i].disabled = true;
                }
            }
        },
        desc: "Can be revived into Shieldon. Holder's Def is 1.5x, but it can only use damaging moves."
    },
    "brightpowder": {
        onAccuracy: function (accuracy) {
            return accuracy;
        },
        onModifyMove: function (move) {
            if (move.category === "Status" && move.priority === 0) {
                move.selfSwitch = true;
            }
        },
        desc: "Holder's non-damaging attacks with 0 priority switch out the holder with a chosen ally."
    },
    "dragonfang": {
        onBasePower: function (basePower) {
            return basePower;
        },
        onModifyDamage: function (damage, source, target, move) {
            if (source) {
                source.addVolatile('dragonfang');
                return this.chainModify(1.33);
            }           
        },
        onModifySpe: function (speMod) {
            return this.chain(speMod, 1.33);
        },
        effect: {
            duration: 1,
            onAfterMoveSecondarySelf: function (source, target, move) {
                if (move && move.effectType === 'Move' && source && source.volatiles['dragonfang']) {
                    if (source.hp - source.maxhp/4 <= 3) {
                        this.damage(source.hp, source, source, this.getItem('dragonfang'));
                    } else { 
                        this.damage(source.maxhp / 4, source, source, this.getItem('dragonfang'));
                    }
                    source.removeVolatile('dragonfang');
                }
            }
        },
        desc: "Holder's damaging attacks have 1.33x power; holder's Speed is 1.33x; loses 1/4 max HP after the attack."
    },
    "laggingtail": {
            if (move.id === "dragontail") {
                move.forceSwitch = false;
                move.self = {
                    onHit: function (pokemon) {
                        if (pokemon.hp && pokemon.removeVolatile('leechseed')) {
                            this.add('-end', pokemon, 'Leech Seed', '[from] move: Dragon Tail', '[of] ' + pokemon);
                        }
                        var sideConditions = {spikes:1, toxicspikes:1, stealthrock:1, stickyweb:1};
                        for (var i in sideConditions) {
                            if (pokemon.hp && pokemon.side.removeSideCondition(i)) {
                                this.add('-sideend', pokemon.side, this.getEffect(i).name, '[from] move: Dragon Tail', '[of] ' + pokemon);
                            }
                        }
                        if (pokemon.hp && pokemon.volatiles['partiallytrapped']) {
                            this.add('-remove', pokemon, pokemon.volatiles['partiallytrapped'].sourceEffect.name, '[from] move: Dragon Tail', '[of] ' + pokemon, '[partiallytrapped]');
                            delete pokemon.volatiles['partiallytrapped'];
                        }
                    }
                };
            }
        },
        onModifyPriority: function (priority, pokemon, target, move) {
            if (move && move.id === "dragontail") {
                return 0;
            } else {
                return priority;
            }
        },
        desc: "Dragon Tail frees the holder from hazards/partial trap/Leech Seed, and has 0 priority when used by the holder."
    },
    "spelltag": {
        onBasePower: function (basePower) {
            return basePower;
        },
            if (move.secondaries && move.id !== 'secretpower') {
                for (var i = 0; i < move.secondaries.length; i++) {
                    var t = 0;
                    if (move.secondaries[i].status) {
                        this.debug('doubling secondary chance');
                        t = 1;
                    } else if (move.secondaries[i].boosts && !move.secondaries[i].boosts.accuracy) {
                        this.debug('doubling secondary chance');
                        t = 1;
                    } else if (move.secondaries[i].boosts && move.secondaries[i].boosts.accuracy) {
                        this.debug('zeroing secondary chance');
                        t = -1;
                    }
                    move.secondaries[i].chance *= t + 1;
                }
            }
        },
        desc: "Holder's moves have their secondary effects doubled, if they inflict status or modify stats, but cannot lower accuracy."
    }
};

Oh, didn't expect all this. Thanks a lot guys! I'll put a link in the OP and get to testing these items.

*Reads the code*
Sometimes it's like "... Sure. That sounds like a thing." And sometimes it's like "oooh... I see what you did there."

If anyone plays, I'd be interested to see replays. :) I'll post some when my friends get the chance to play.

Last edited:
Spell tag specifically only affects secondary effects that lower stats, or cause status conditions. There were three things I did not want it to do:
1-Boost your own stats. The top users would just be charge beam sweepers. We have plenty of setup sweepers.
2-Lower accuracy. Evasion, confusion, and luck shenanigans in general are unhealthy for the game. Smogon has already had multiple bans for that reason.
3-Cause flinch. Flinch is neither a stat drop nor a status condition, and so is not boosted by spell tag. It would just cause more luck based scenarios, or shut down any pokemon slower than Jolly Jirachi.

EDIT: Looking closer, the serene grace users do have crazy stuff going on with Spell Tag:

Never Move Again (Togekiss) @ Spell Tag
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Body Slam
- Air Slash
- Shadow Ball
- Roost
Body Slam is guaranteed paralysis, and Shadow Ball has an 80% chance to lower special defense. The flinch hax set is about the same, but could serene tag users potentially act as special wall breakers?

I'll look more into the Serene Grace+Spell Tag combo and see if it breaks any pokemon.
Shaymin @ Spell Tag. 80% chance to drop Sp. Def by 2 stages. AKA half the reason Shaymin-Sky was banned. That is all.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a little thing I thought of while I was looking at this thread:

Entei @ Spell Tag
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- ExtremeSpeed
- Body Slam
- Stone Edge

Entei appears to be pretty good here, having a more reliable burning move than Will-O-Wisp that also gets STAB and is a powerful move in general. This set capitalizes on Spell Tag and it will probably be one of its best abusers, outside maybe bulky Waters with reliable recovery. Extreme Speed is still an awesome move with +2 Priority and 80 BP. Body Slam is kinda bad coverage, but you have 60% chance to paralyze something, and I guess it's good neutrally, as Rocks are p rare and Steels won't switch into this anyway. Stone Edge is just coverage as it doesn't get a lot of coverage. Fairly standard, but very promising!

Just a little thing I thought of while I was looking at this thread:

Entei @ Spell Tag
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- ExtremeSpeed
- Body Slam
- Stone Edge
This Entei is fearsome indeed. With guaranteed burn and chunk damage, few things will want to enter on it. I'd almost say swap body slam for more coverage, but without a damage boosting item perhaps it's best not to rely on its coverage. At the very least stone edge keeps Talonflame from entering without thinking twice. I can see magic guard clefable being a safe way to stop it. It also has heal bell and stealth rock to help deal with it. Clerics will probably be very important to deal with spell tag users in this meta, or even just pokemon immune to the effects. Things like Rotom Heat who are immune to two kinds of status would steal momentum from certain abusers. Bright powder users like Jolteon, Serperior, and Espeon can safely cleric for the team while avoiding most threats. Scarrily enough, bright powder users are just as good at spreading status as spell tag users. Anything fast with thunderwave has little reason not spam it every time they enter, especially if they have a move that can deck ground types that might try to absorb thunderwave.

But coming back a bit, I do think the scariest users of spell tag are the offensive ones. I had always considered adding a draw back like a speed drop, but I don't want to jump to conclusions too soon and start calling things broken.

Blacklustersoldier (Latios) (M) @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Luster Purge
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
This Latios can burst through almost anything in three hits, making it a mean wall breaker. Even Heatran can't really do anything to the substitute without roar. It lacks immediate power though, and so it must prey on walls it can take advantage of or use pokemon weak to its stabs as setup fodder. Also, if you jump the gun and launch Draco Meteor too soon, you lose the exchange. You could possibly run whatever coverage needed though to push past the pokemon you need broken. Surf, thunderbolt, Icebeam, Energy ball, etc.

EDIT: First battle in format. Yay.
[replay]aqua-fiveitems-27[/replay]

Last edited:
Hahaha, for a minute, I actually thought that these new item effects were added to ORAS!

And with that Spell Tag, Togekiss would get even more hate then she already has. At least Spell Tag still ups Ghost moves...

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO damage from the dragon fang should be negated by magic guard because the ability is so limited and this will make certain mons more viable.

IMO damage from the dragon fang should be negated by magic guard because the ability is so limited and this will make certain mons more viable.
Alakazam is the only pokemon who really benefits from that, being able to run a modest nature and still outrunning base 145s. Clefable maxes out at 319 speed, which is slower than base 100s. Trick room Reuniclus relies on its bulk to make the sweep, and would be hindered by the seed boost.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
that would give pokemon like alakazam extreme sweepyness. If it gets any free switch it can do some extreme damage
Alakazam is the only relevant sweeper that this affects, and he is frail af so that priority kills him easily. I just thought it would be fair if this worked for him, but being stopped by SF would make the nidos and lando incredibly overpowered. Besides Alakazam, there are no relavent sweepers that are SUPER powerful after the boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)