ORAS OU Flagrant Abuse - a sweaty cowboy's foray into Bulky Offense

* Click the kickin' Cowboy Bebop poster for some music! *
Hokay. Here we go. Don't screw this up.

HELLO PEOPLE OF SMOGON LAND I AM SWEATY COWBOY OVERLORDDERP. AM NOW HAVING CRIPPLING ANXIETY ATTACK FROM TALKING TO ANONYMOUS FACES SO LET US START SWEATY TEAMBUILD YES OKAY GO.

...Bam. Nailed the intro.
TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Bulky Offense just wouldn't be the same Bulky Offense we know today without this hambeast of a 'mon. With the advent of things like Landorus-I, M-Metagross and M-Altaria, some may claim that older additions to the roster, like M-CharX, have been pushed to the wayside. Personally, I think that's a giant load of guano fumes, but it sure makes a hell of a segue - M-CharX is still just as scary as it was on release, and is only getting more diverse and detailed as people slowly but surely build on its playstyle, movesets, EV spreads, the whole nine yards.

Wanna know what makes a cowboy real sweaty?

Other than the fact that I actually said that line on the internet and will probably never live it down, it's Tyrantrum. There are things that M-CharX can't get through, and Tyrantrum breaks them the same way I once broke a homeless man's legs with a pillowcase full of apples - hard, without warning, and in a highly illegal manner. Remember kids, don't get caught Head Smashing.

Water and Ground weaknesses suck. A lot. Not to mention, those two share a lot of checks, which doesn't give them a whole lot of switch-in opportunities if they get forced out somehow. Enter Rotom-W, the go-to annoying household appliance. Levitate, and sponges Water attacks like it's going out of style. Volt Switch gives me those switch-ins I do so enjoy, which provides valuable insurance to keep momentum in my favour.

Tornadus-T rounds out a very useful VoltTurn core with Rotom-W, checking most Lando-I sets and a fair number of special attackers like Gengar and Keldeo which can severely dent this team, or set up if given momentum. Also provides a great way of neutering Choice Scarfers by way of Knock Off, which otherwise annoy this team.

Sneaky Pebbles, part of a sweaty cowboy's wholesome breakfast. Provides both the Steel-type and Grass-type this team needs to sponge a huge array of physical attacks, special attacks and status effects (most notably Sleep Powder). A fairly common set, but provides an incredible stop to scarfers that just don't have the raw power to bust through this thing, racking up contact damage as it goes. And of course, sneaky pebbles.

Still needed a method of hazard removal ASAP, since enemy sneaky pebbles would severely bite into M-CharX and Tornadus-T's survivability and staying power. Starmie fulfilled these roles by having a very respectable speed tier, as well as Reflect Type to cockblock a giant array of Dark-types, bar Weavile. Sadly, this was not meant to last.

This team had really nasty problems with Electric-types like Raikou, Rotom-W and Thundurus, as it often had no safe switch-ins. Latias takes care of this problem by standing in their faces and refusing to die. Defog helps plenty, and while it seems like it makes my team total Bisharp/TTar bait, I have a little nasty surprise in here for that, too.

LA PANDILLA

ANALYSIS
DON LIZARD @
| Blaze -> Tough Claws | you can't keep ME locked up!
Jolly | 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

Dragon Dance | two of these in a row and it's GG
Dragon Claw | stab attack uno. not as strong as outrage, but a lot more spammable.
Flare Blitz | stab attack dos. steel-types begone (expect tran).
Iron Tail | i could have sworn there was a fairy-type right in front of me... where'd it go?

First co-star of the team, reppin' the house. Charizard-X is a deadly physical attacker, capable of powering through nearly everything in front of it, even walls like Hippowdon, after 1 or 2 boosts. Fire/Dragon is also a pretty useful defensive typing, reducing damage from Ice and Fairy attacks that can stop other dragons cold.

EVs are pretty straightforward; 216 Speed Jolly is enough to outspeed even positive-natured max speed Kyurem-B sets before the boost, and all Scarfed Kyurem-B sets after 1 boost. Max Attack because max attack, who wouldn't want that? 40 HP is just a dump stat for bulk.

As for the moveset, you can probably see something not commonly seen on most Char-X sets. While some people call this a lure, I prefer to use my Sweaty Cowboy™ patented phrase, 'The Shrek Move'. While the first three moves are standard fare, Iron Tail is unexpected and reams your target senseless, leaving them dazed and aching terribly in uncomfortable places.

Case in point, a Shrek Move.

Iron Tail has a 93.8% chance of OHKOing Mega-Altaria after Sneaky Pebbles, and can 2HKO Unaware Clefable without the recoil of Flare Blitz. Mega-Diancie, rest in pieces. While Earthquake lets you get past Heatran, it doesn't give you any chance against M-Altaria, especially before a boost.

You can run Roost or Earthquake in lieu of Iron Tail, but do so at your own peril, because this team catches hell from mega-fairies otherwise.

G REX @
| Rock Head | i'll wake you up right now!

Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Head Smash | step 1: donk. step 2: dead.
Outrage | hand-delivered to quag, hippo and chesnaught.
Superpower | earthquake is overrated anyways.
Toxic | go click head smash some more, i'll wait.

Sometimes, you don't want to just whittle down a check. Sometimes, you just want it dead on the floor like my dreams and aspirations, never again to rise and provide its owner with any semblance of hope. If that's the kind of soul-crushing torture you want to inflict upon total strangers on the internet, then Tyrantrum is your main man!...dino...thing. Rock/Dragon is a wondrous type for stopping Talonflame and Volcarona, as well as a plethora of weaker attacks used by defensive 'mons, and then threatening them out with your one-click-to-die move.

EVs are exactly what you'd expect of a CB one-move spammer.

As for the moves, Head Smash and Outrage make the most sense; one kills indiscriminately, and the other finds the things that Head Smash can't kill indiscriminately, then proceeds to kill them indiscriminately. Superpower will rarely be used, but it's rather useful when you know something like Ferrothorn is going to switch in and need to get some heavy damage off on it. Toxic is your Shrek Move, utilised solely in prediction scenarios where you want to cripple bulky targets like M-Sableye pre-mega or Double Dance M-Slowbro. It seems weird to put a status move on a Choice Band set, but considering you won't use any move other than Head Smash 99.9% of the time, you actually have the space for it.

WET SOCKS @
| Levitate | time never stands still.

Bold | 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Thunder Wave | it's like people forget you can do this.
Will-O-Wisp | burn, baby, burn.
Hydro Pump | sweaty cowboy needs to wash off someday.
Volt Switch | okay seriously, what did you expect, fuckin' signal beam?

Double Status Rotom-W. Ah, bliss. This is my Water and Ground attack check, as well as general annoyance and status spreader. This tanks a surprising amount from many physically inclined threats like opposing Charizard-X, Gyarados, M-Metagross and the like. Water/Electric also makes this a great general-purpose birdspam check if Tyrantrum somehow kicks the bucket early.

EVs are to outspeed 8 Spe defensive Landorus-T, so in essence, this is a speedcreep of a speedcreep. 208 Defense doesn't do anything different from 216 Defense, so there's nothing to worry about on that front.

Will-O-Wisp, Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are expected moves on Rotom-Wash, and their potential in busting open bulky Ground-types and providing momentum is highly coveted in OU. Thunder Wave is your Shrek Move, crippling the Latis, Charizard-X, DD Mega-Altaria and other setup sweepers and Scarfers that dare to switch in on you. This does, in part, take care of this team's Kyurem-B and M-Altaria weakness somewhat, but it is prediction-based, and for personal use, I'm just not good enough a battler yet to full take advantage of this without Charizard having an insurance Shrek Move in Iron Tail, just to make 100% sure these threats are gone.

BIG BIRD @
| Regenerator | don't leave things in the fridge.

Timid | 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Hurricane | statistically, torn-t sees the least usage in new orleans. (too soon?)
Focus Blast | why the hell does a move that advertises focus only have 70 accuracy?
Knock Off | eviolite and toxic orb can suck a large, warty one.
U-turn | nnnnnope nope nope nope soooo much nope. outta here. buhbye.

Tornadus-T completes the VoltTurn core with Rotom-W, giving this sweaty cowboy's team plenty of opportunities to bring in the two power players it so cherishes. Tornadus also provides respectable special bulk, stopping things like Keldeo and Gengar, as well as defensive threats like M-Venusaur and Amoonguss. 121 base Speed is also straight-up ridiculous, as it outspeeds nearly every non-scarfed threat in the game, which allows it to nope the hell out of whatever scenario it pleases with Regenerator-coupled U-turn.

EVs are standard Torn-T EVs, capable of OHKOing Keldeo in particular.

Moveset is also standard, but it's worth explaining anyways. Hurricane is your go-to move hitting many frail offensive threats very hard, and scaring away most Grass- and Fighting-types. Focus Blast gives you a fighting chance against Heatran, Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, amongst other Steel-types. Knock Off is good when you can catch a Toxic Orb off a Gliscor, or an Eviolite off of Chansey. It provides even more utility against the Latis' Life Orb or any relevant scarfer's Scarf. U-turn is what provides the fastest momentum for this team, letting you abuse Regenerator as well as stack up damage on Bug-weak targets, like Slowbro. No Shrek moves here, sadly. :(

HUG ME @
| Iron Barbs | i'm already a fairy, don't you know that?

Relaxed | 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sneaky Pebbles | 'oh god, it's in my eyes! i cant see!' 'get it? that's why it's sneaky!'
Leech Seed | can zarel code in a really nasty, ornery slurping noise every time leech seed drains hp?
Protect | panic button is best button.
Gyro Ball | kyurem-b smacker, fairy smacker, what doesn't it smack?

Hug him. He promises it won't hurt. HUG HIM.

Every sweaty cowboy needs a coherent defensive glue that dismantles the offensive threats the other 'mons can't take care of. Between Sneaky Pebbles and Leech Seed, this team gets huge OHKO potential with all the chip damage this one huggable beast alone can dish out.

EVs are standard. If there's a better, optimized set, I'd love to see it.

Again, no real Shrek moves here, unless you count the choice of Protect over Power Whip as one (it really isn't). Gyro Ball does a very good job of taking out Scarf Kyurem-B, especially when it's locked into Outrage. Against 3 Dragons, it's easy to lure out the move and finish off that threat easily. This can take a fair number of Electric attacks, namely Specs Raikou, which threatens Latias with Shadow Ball. This also pairs very well with Tornadus-T, as it gets rid of Heatran and other Grass-types so that Gyro Ball doesn't have a go-to sponge on the enemy team, and there are no Grass-types to flub Leech Seed on. Other than that, this plays like every other Ferrothorn you've ever seen.

SANIC BOOM @
| Levitate | remember, a snake cannot eat a dragon.

Timid | 180 HP / 136 SpA / 192 Spe
Defog | bisharp bait, hooray!
Roost | press button for life. it's fool-proof.
Reflect Type | dark-types are mad now. just the way i like them.
Psyshock | hello, calm mind. goodbye, calm mind.

Now this set is fairly experimental. It's been working quite nicely as of late, but it's the one set in this team that I'd appreciate feedback on.

Latias is my Electric and Water check in tandem with Rotom-W, as well as the team's hazard remover. Since Char-X and Tornadus-T really don't enjoy SR, and this team revolves around switch momentum which retaining the bulky offense feel, Latias makes a great choice.

EDIT: This set's been changed a fair bit. 192 Speed EVs to outspeed positive nature base 102s like Lum SD Garchomp. 136 SpA to 2HKO standard offensive M-Venu, and the rest is pumped into HP. Latias doesn't need Draco Meteor on this set for the sole fact that Ferrothorn is a better Dragon check, and I need something that fulfills the role of Reflect Type Starmie while still beating SubCM Keldeo and sporting far better bulk and resistances. Makes me bait against things like Bisharp/Ttar, but at least I can avoid a lot of Sucker Punch and Pursuit damage with Reflect Type.

EL FIN

IMPORTABLE + OTHER BIDNESS

G REX (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Toxic

DON LIZARD (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Iron Tail

WET SOCKS (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

BIG BIRD (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

HUG ME (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

SANIC BOOM (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Reflect Type
- Defog
- Dragon Pulse

Replays will come when I ladder up high enough after exams. I'd rather not give people replays of below 1400, as a baseline. Edjumacation comes first, though.

I... don't really have shoutouts. Competitive tutoring was largely quiet whenever I put a question out there, to my immense bad luck and timing. Nevertheless, there are two names I'll put out there for the help they provided, indirect or otherwise.

Croven for the sick TTrum + CharX + Rotom-W core, in the Good Cores thread.

brokenwings for actual legit help on the latias set.

EDIT: Completely slipped my mind, need to shoutout Trinitrotoluene for the RMT layout I borrowed/hastily jury-rigged from
[THREAD=3521917]here.[/THREAD]

The quotes on the side of each Pokemon description are lines from Cowboy Bebop. The music is The Real Folk Blues, one of my favourite tracks in the entire show.

To date, this is probably the nicest-looking RMT I've ever made. A small point of pride, if you will.

And with that, this sweaty RMT is complete.

See you, space cowboy.

Last edited:
"those two share a lot of checks" (between tyrantrum and Char-X)

Is this not the point of birdspam? This is somewhat considered a good thing, as that means the CHECK, not COUNTER has to chose. Either one can easily pick off a weakened variant of its check. You can choose your win condition based on the rest of the opposing team.

"those two share a lot of checks" (between tyrantrum and Char-X)

Is this not the point of birdspam? This is somewhat considered a good thing, as that means the CHECK, not COUNTER has to chose. Either one can easily pick off a weakened variant of its check. You can choose your win condition based on the rest of the opposing team.
That's true, but sometimes you're caught in a bad spot where you can't switch in either of them without some sort of padding, which comes in the form of Rotom-W's Volt Switch. Once they're in, their respective checks can be weakened and taken down. It's just that Rotom-W and Torn-T are insurance against momentum loss that CharX and Tyrnatrum can suffer if they're forced out.

Hey, really we'll made rmt and the team uses some cool pokes too! That being said I believe you need to fix up some of your sets to better fit the meta game, so without further a do, let's begin. Firstly, you should be running Roost > Iron Tail, Iron Tail is really not need for Fairies considering you aren't weak to them and Flare Blitz does a hell of a lot to not just Fairies, but everything that isn't Heatran or a like. Roost also provides you with an easier time setting up and a way to regain your health from Flare Blitz, which will benefit your potential sweeping ability. Secondly with the addition of roost change your spread to 120 Hp / +252 Atk / 140 Spe, this provides more bulk and also allows you to out speed base 70s without a boost and base 135 with one boost. Thirdly, you need to run Dragon Claw > Toxic, as it allows you to pick off kills without locking yourself into outrage and become fairy and steel food. Next use Pain Split > Will-O-Wisp, the need for two status moves is kind of redundant and Thunder Wave does its job nicely in being able to cripple opposing Zard X, as they can run through your team with a boost up. It also gives you some form of recovery, which is need for a Pokemon like Rotom, as it usually has to put in a lot of work and take multiply hits. Finally, I have no clue what Sneaky Pebbles is but you should be using Stealth Rocks instead. Your team has no hazard support which is nearly vital to have on every team, as it allows you to wear down your opponents Pokemon and secure kills more easily.

I hope you were able to get something out of my rate and I wish you and your team the best of luck with future endeavours!

Hey, really we'll made rmt and the team uses some cool pokes too! That being said I believe you need to fix up some of your sets to better fit the meta game, so without further a do, let's begin. Firstly, you should be running Roost > Iron Tail, Iron Tail is really not need for Fairies considering you aren't weak to them and Flare Blitz does a hell of a lot to not just Fairies, but everything that isn't Heatran or a like. Roost also provides you with an easier time setting up and a way to regain your health from Flare Blitz, which will benefit your potential sweeping ability. Secondly with the addition of roost change your spread to 120 Hp / +252 Atk / 140 Spe, this provides more bulk and also allows you to out speed base 70s without a boost and base 135 with one boost. Thirdly, you need to run Dragon Claw > Toxic, as it allows you to pick off kills without locking yourself into outrage and become fairy and steel food. Next use Pain Split > Will-O-Wisp, the need for two status moves is kind of redundant and Thunder Wave does its job nicely in being able to cripple opposing Zard X, as they can run through your team with a boost up. It also gives you some form of recovery, which is need for a Pokemon like Rotom, as it usually has to put in a lot of work and take multiply hits. Finally, I have no clue what Sneaky Pebbles is but you should be using Stealth Rocks instead. Your team has no hazard support which is nearly vital to have on every team, as it allows you to wear down your opponents Pokemon and secure kills more easily.

I hope you were able to get something out of my rate and I wish you and your team the best of luck with future endeavours!
First and foremost, I have been running Roost for a long time, and the change to Iron Tail was rather recent. A bulky Mega-Altaria is only 3HKOed by +1 Flare Blitz or EQ, and guaranteed 2HKOs back with Hyper Voice, or OHKOes with Draco Meteor as its lure move (which is becoming more common nowadays). DD sets with Fire Blast can easily set up in front of Ferrothorn, Latias and Tornadus-T, then proceed to get a guaranteed OHKO on CharX with Return after SR damage, or even just a little bit of prior damage, as it has a 37.5% chance of OHKOing without any prior damage. I know that the lack of Roost puts me on a timer, but it's necessary to deal with a potentially game-ending Altaria switch-in.

The EV spread is absolutely necessary to beat Scarf Kyurem-B, otherwise it just tears through this team if Ferrothorn is gone. Rotom-W can't always find an opportunity to use Thunder Wave on it, since it risks being neutered or even outright KOed with a little prior damage if it runs Earth Power, and gets 2HKOed by Outrage anyways. I need to be able to outspeed common scarfers at +1, which your spread does not allow me to do. Scarfed Lando-T is also a huge issue for this team if I can't get a good Head Smash off on it (which is difficult, given Tyrantrum's inherent weakness to Lando-T), so I need the speed to outrun it as well. While your Adamant spread allows me to 2HKO fairies with Flare Blitz, the dramatic drop in speed opens up way too many holes for Scarfers like Lando-T and Kyurem-B to at least 4-0 my team, if not 6-0 outright.

Dragon Claw on Tyranttrum does not 2HKO Quagsire, Hippowdon or Chesnaught, which are literally the only targets I care about with Outrage. Everything else gets a Head Smash. Between those two attacks, everything else is so seldom used that Toxic is genuinely a good idea to catch things like Double Dance M-Slowbro, for which I have no answer otherwise.

Pain Split on Rotom-W is unreliable, plain and simple. Double status is meant to be a lure, and has been mentioned in multiple sets in the Creative Sets thread and the Teambuilding thread. Showing WoW early makes it far easier to bait out things like Latios and CharX for a Thunder Wave, while retaining the physical bulk it so desperately needs with the Attack reduction of burns. I have rarely seen myself use Pain Split in any battle, just because the healing it provides is very inconsistent.

Sneaky Pebbles is the common joke-name for Stealth Rocks, by the by. Stealth = Sneaky, and Rocks = Pebbles, therefore Stealth Rocks = Sneaky Pebbles.

Thank you for the rate, nevertheless, and your inferences are appreciated.

EDIT: 100th message. Huh. That's a thing now, I guess.

Last edited:
cool team and congrats on 100 messages! I don't know what to change as its really solid, but it has a huge problem with mGarde and TG manaphy and kyu-b. mGarde forces your ferro to take like ~75% for you to revenge it, but even then it could switch out to come back in later and get a free kill. Also, you have no way of beating TG manaphy w/o sacking 2 mons bc hurricane and dragon claw together do about ~88% w/ lefties recovery. sorry i dont have any suggestions, but i hope you can find a way to fix these problems and gl with your cool team!

cool team and congrats on 100 messages! I don't know what to change as its really solid, but it has a huge problem with mGarde and TG manaphy and kyu-b. mGarde forces your ferro to take like ~75% for you to revenge it, but even then it could switch out to come back in later and get a free kill. Also, you have no way of beating TG manaphy w/o sacking 2 mons bc hurricane and dragon claw together do about ~88% w/ lefties recovery. sorry i dont have any suggestions, but i hope you can find a way to fix these problems and gl with your cool team!
I'll admit, M-Garde is definitely a pain, and I definitely need to paralyze it to keep it forced out. I've lost to it before, and I'm still trying to work out a decent solution to beating it. TG Manaphy is taken care of decently well by Latias, although it has some trouble with Ice Beam sets. Scarf Kyu-B is taken care of mainly by Char-X if it tries to come in to revenge it at +1, and Ferrothorn can switch into Fusion Bolt or a Dragon-type move, at the very least. Other than that, this team has to work with the fact that none of those threats want to switch in on my team unless it can do so for free. Luring Toxic and TWave onto threats is a bit difficult, but it does succeed quite often.

Edit: The only solace I have is that Char-X outspeeds Modest Gardevoir sets at +0 and OHKOes with Iron Tail, but it needs a clean switch-in. Prediction isn't always guaranteed, so it's a shaky check at best. Not great, but at least somewhat workable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)