flow

flow
As Gen V comes to an end I have decided to post my old bread and butter team, flow. This team was created not just to be a strong or successful team, but also one that is fun to play and showcases what I feel is the the best part of competitive Pokemon, careful play of resistances and weaknesses and the flow of one move into the other.

Sonic (Slowbro) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Grass Knot / Trick
- Fire Blast / Trick
- Psyshock / Trick

"Gotta Go Fast"

Sonic is a key member of my team, chosen because it fits really well into my playstyle with its ability to not only take hits, but retaliate for heavy damage and be useful throughout the match thanks to regenerator. Sonic:
  • Takes physical fire hits such as Darmanitan's Flare Blitz
  • Takes fighting hits such as Mienshao's Hi Jump Kick
  • Draws in and destroys grass types with powerful Fire Blasts or Psyshocks
  • Uses powerful coverage moves to break down other bulky waters such as Suicune and Slowbro
  • Provides a general check to physical types that aren't hitting it super effectively
  • Destroys Nidoking first turn by living a Thunderbolt and OHKOing with Scald
  • (Sometimes) tricks off its Specs to problematic walls such as P2 and Umbreon
I often play Slowbro as a lead as it matches up very well against not only bulky leads such as Rhyperior, Slowbro, Bronzong, and Registeel but also offensive leads like Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Flygon. It takes a good chunk from U-Turn but is able to hit the switch-in very hard, usually unexpectedly hard unless the opponent plays close attention to the U-Turn damage. Seeing as I don't have any perfect switch-ins to grass and am weak to spikes from the likes of Roserade, Slowbro's ability to draw in and eliminate these threats is invaluable. Scald was chosen for primary STAB over Surf as the 10 BP loss is significant but the ridiculously powerful chance to burn is simply too good to pass up.The choices for the rest of the attacks is very meta dependent but currently I run four attacks since Chandelure can already Trick. Fire Blast hits just as hard as Scald and is useful for smacking around grass and steel types. Grass Knot deals with opposing bulky waters and lets me OHKO Swamperts who really want Rocks up. Psyshock is a much later addition but something I'm finding almost indispensable. It kills Roserade just as bad as Fire Blast and hits many bulky waters as hard as or harder than Grass Knot, with the added benefit of beating CM Suicune. Psyshock also deals heavy damage to Snorlax and has decent neutral coverage in general. Trick is useful for dealing with Umbreon and Porygon 2, major threats to the team.

Dolly (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

"It's a good thing I was born a girl, otherwise I'd be a drag queen."

Dolly is one of the most useful Pokemon in UU, like Sowbro it has a host of valuable resistances alongside acceptable bulk and high damage output. While Nidoqueen lacks Regenerator it can support the team in key ways Slowbro cannot. Dolly:
  • Provides at least one safe switch in to most fighting types, particularly Heracross, allowing me to safely gauge their set, playstyle, and pivot into an appropriate resist
  • Deals heavy damage to just about anything and is rarely OHKO'd.
  • Sets up Rocks
  • Absorbs Volt Switches
  • Absorbs Toxic Spikes
  • Gets damage off on Togekiss and Sub CM Raikou
Nidoqueen is my other usual lead when I really want Rocks up ASAP and I don't expect anything too problematic like Flygon or Darmanitan. Nidoqueen also matches up against steel Pokemon like Registeel and Bronzong much better than Slowbro does. The way I play Nidoqueen varies a lot depending on the opponents team and if I don't have any particular need for it I can play it quite recklessly in the early game, getting up rocks quickly and firing off a lot of damage. However if there's a Volt Turn core I need to poop on or a spinner or a Toxic Spike setter or a Togekiss or something else that I need Nidoqueen for I usually try to get Rocks up safely and otherwise try to conserve her, as despite her strength she is ultimately a finite resource I have to spend carefully.

Frankie (Snorlax) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 196 SDef / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

"Relax."

This is UU. Therefore Snorlax.
  • Checks just about every damn special attacker
  • Checks a lot of physical ones too
Like most people the number one reason I use Snorlax is because of Chandelure, but it also does so much more. It checks a lot of big big scary threats such as Yanmega and any variant of Kingdra as well as a lot of stuff you wouldn't think about like Sharpedo. Defensively, it plays a very similar role to Nidoqueen. Like how Nidoqueen allows me a safe switch into fighting types before I start making the hard calls with Slowbro, Cobalion, and Chandelure, Snorlax provides a safe "no-brainer" switch-in to Pokemon like Raikou so that I can start making predictions between Nidoqueen and Slowbro (who I often switch into choiced HP Ice and Extrasensory). However like Nidoqueen Lax gets worn down easily and while it pretty much always gets something down I really have to prioritize its use. Body Slam chosen for the Para chance as the drop in power is noticeable but its really clutch against stuff like Togekiss. Thinking about it now though, Return is probably better. Crunch over Fire Punch as Pursuit is so obvious these days and the Def drops come in handy a lot as while Snorlax doesn't do much damage against walls like P2 it can stay in a long time, meaning it has a lot of chances to get that drop. Leftovers over band as Choiced Pursuit is gross and Lefties can end up recovering a lot on a mon as bulky as Lax.

Lumière (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

"Be our guest!"

Despite its large SpAtk stat, Lumière was not at all chosen for its offensive prowess, but rather for its excellent typing, ability, and access to Trick.
  • Insurance against Fire, Fighting, and Bug sweepers
  • Deals with bulky ghosts
  • Draws in and tricks problematic walls such as Umbreon and Porygon2
  • Lights up grass types
  • Revenge kills somewhat
Chandelure boasts a lot of excellent resistances and while I don't like switching it into moves it is waiting in the wings ready to take advantage of the opponent ends up killing ones of my mons with one of those moves. In fact Chandelure does a tonne of work even when I don't actually end up using him as his presence strongly deters fighting and fire moves. So rather than taking a big strong powerful Reckless Hi Jump Kick, my Nidoqueen only has to take a weak ass Stone Edge as most Mienshaos are far too afraid of Chandelure coming in. Chandelure is also excellent at forcing switches, drawing in Snorlax and Umbreon without delay, making it easy to play mind games, doubling into Cobalion and the like. Now Chandelure gets all this done without even making a move, so the pretty good damage he does when he does attack is just all gravy.

Versaille (Cobalion) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Swords Dance

"lol @ working class"

If it isnt abundantly clear at this point Umbreon and Porygon 2 are major threats to this team, which is why I have Versaille here to him them up with big strong fighting moves.
  • Capitalizes on Umbreon which just about every other member of my team draws in
  • Is able to get a heavy hit off of Porygon 2
  • Takes bug and dragon attacks
  • Revenge kills lots of weakened stuff with its great speed
Cobalion was chosen primarily for his great synergy with Slowbro. Slowbro covers Cobalion's critical fire and fighting weaknesses while Cobalion covers Slowbro's bug, dark, grass, and ghost weaknesses. With a little prediction the two of them are able to wall Heracross very effectively, only fearing the EQ once Slowbro is low enough. Cobalion is a little more situational than the other members of the team but he fills in the gaps with a lot of useful roles like switching into Snorlax and beating lead Smeargle. He is also very useful against hail.

Weed (Rotom-Mow) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 56 SDef / 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 136 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

"BLAZE 420 YOLO SWAG."

I really really wanted Rotom-W for this spot. Wash would just by way better for this team, but unfortunately its firmly situated in OU. That said Weed is able to fill a lot of the same roles as well as adding a few useful things like a 4x electric resistances and a 2x grass resistance.
  • Provides a critical ground immunity
  • Switches into and threatens out bulky waters
  • Burns and Pain Splits walls to wear them down
  • Outspeeds and burns Honchkrow
  • Wears down Umbreon and Porygon2 as I Volt Switch out into Cobalion
In this team Mow is trying really hard to copy Wash and is actually doing a pretty decent job. He can live a tonne of hits, outspeed a lot of key threats, and Pain Split to get a tonne of health back at any time. The spread is for outspeeding Adamant Honchkrow and living 2 Ice Beams from offensive Suicune. This set has worked really, really well for me though I think a more optimal bulky attacker set could be made.

Importable:
Code:
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock

Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Swords Dance

EVs: 56 SDef / 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 136 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
Threatlist (WIP):

Volt Turn
Hazards
Porygon 2
Azelf
Regenerator
Wish Passing
Spore
Good Players

I like the team a lot I have a couple suggestions tho:

1) I'd replace crunch on Lax w/ whirlwind, protect or sleep talk. The only real reason to use crunch is for OTR cofag which whirlwind deals with nicely and you can stall out trick room w/ protect.

2) I think you can afford to make Chandelure modest. You're already missing out on a lot of power with a scarf (which isn't necessarily bad) but literally the only thing you no longer outspeed is banded Crobat. Granted Crobat can be somewhat of a nuisance but it's up to you.

3) I'm not totally sold on HP ice for Cobalion. As strange as it seems, Magnet Rise may actually be a better option. Holy shit now that I think about this more magnet rise just seems too perfect for cob. Now gligar, Rhyp, bronzong claydol, Registeel, etc. can't do a thing to you. You could even shut down nidoqueen if it's only running earth power/ice beam. I'm making this a thing now lol this actually seems quite threatening. It started here, MAGNET RISE COBALION. lol

4) I'd just change the hp to 248 on rotom

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Hi Lovelace, I was planning on rating your team but I have been a bit busy lately, so I will rate it now.

You should run Focus Blast over Fire Blast on Nidoqueen. Porygon2 and Umbreon both are big threats as you stated in your threatlist, and Cobalion is the only thing you have to deal with them. Cobal gets worn down by repeated attacks, especially since it isn't carrying Lefties, and once he is gone you are pretty screwed against these two. With Focus Blast Nidoqueen can 2HKO both of these mons, if you hit them on the switch they will be dead next turn. The only problem with this change is Focus Blast accuracy, but overall I think it would be more helpful for your team than Fire Blast. Fire Blast is pretty much only useful in taking out Bronzong, which your team has no trouble with.

Use Trick over Grass Knot on Slowbro. Trick is a secondary measure against Umbreon and Porygon2, while still screwing bulky waters and dealing with CroCune better than Grass Knot. CroCune is a threat to your team because once Rotom-C dies, your team is swept clean by it, and Rotom can easily get worn down if you need it to check more than just Suicune.

Run Volt Switch over HP Ice on Cobalion. This allows Cobalion to Volt Switch out of Slowbro and other common switch-ins, keeping momentum on your side. Gligar is way too uncommon to warrant using HP Ice, and the rest of your team deals with Gligar just fine. Being able to Volt Switch out of a bulky Water or Ghost switch-in and into a counter is far more valuable.

I completely agree with Moose about replacing Crunch with Whirlwind on Snorlax. Cofagrigus doesn't threaten Snorlax at all, and you get a lot more use out of Whirlwind most of the time, phazing out bulky Calm Minders like CM Suicune and Slowbro. If you are desperate it allows you to take a hit a physical sweeper, like Kingdra, and phaze it out. Whirlwind both deals with Cofag and phazes out sweepers at the same time.

Suggested Changes:
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Modest Nature
- Scald
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock

Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Volt Switch
- Swords Dance

Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the great rates guys! I've probably used this team for hundreds of battles but never thought of these changes.

Re: Replacing Crunch on Snorlax: All these options sound great. Phazing, is really appealing as it's something I lack and so is Sleep Talk as I currently rely on doubling into Cobalion to avoid sleep. Even Protect sounds really good for getting a few HPs and screwing with Volt Turn. Crunch has been useful, most notably against offensive Azelf and certain situations against stuff like Cresselia and Slowbro but these other options sound overall more useful. Actually I seldom use EQ, what do you guys think about replacing that?

Modest on Chandelure: Great point, an obvious change. Crobat does give me a lot of trouble but I seldom see banded so not too much of a problem.

Magnet Rise on Cobalion: I got really excited when you first said but now that I think about it I don't know. Registeel and Rhyperior ain't staying plus I have a lot of things to deal with them. Bronzong is usually cleared out early by Nidoqueen/Slowbro. Claydol actually has stopped Cobalion in its tracks a few times so that's a fair point. Gligar makes me worry though as the main problem is Gligar switching in and U-Turning for free. Even aside from that +6 Cobalion is hard pressed to break through Gligar. I do have a lot of things to deal with Gligar but I really like something that unambiguously invalidates the Umbreon/Gligar core- though that's more due to preference than anything I guess. Hmmm definitely an idea with merit and I think Magnet Rise Cobalion could be huge but not for this teamI am totally using that idea for another team though, maybe with Taunt...?

HPs on Rotom: Done. Lefties number? What do you guys think about the spread in general?

Focus Blast on Nidoqueen: Brilliant idea. This would also help with Rotom-H and such. I would miss out on the nice lead matchup vs Bronzong but that's not such a big deal for having a better shot against my two main problems.

Trick over Grass Knot: Good idea, Grass Knot isn't doing a tonne from my team, only really hitting Milotic, non boosting Suicune, and other Slowbro. I don't think I've ever been swept by Crocune (despite having faced it plenty) but well played it theoretically destroys my entire team as even Rotom C is not going to be doing that much to it.

Volt Switch over HP Ice: This idea is quite appealing, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Again, thanks for all the feedback guys!

New team:
Code:
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock

Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Volt Switch
- Swords Dance

EVs: 248 HP / 68 SAtk / 56 SDef / 136 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
edit: I just realize I forgot to hide all my speed creeps... Lol that's a bit of a faux pas isn't it?

Last edited:
LO Offensive Roserade seems to be a big threat to your team. Cobalion still takes a chill 60% while Chandelure takes something like 50% or more. Snorlax can take some hits, but it'll be worn down so quickly. Chandelure can't really switch into it, so you must sack something. Because of a combination of raw power, good coverage, and sleep powder, I would suggest any variant of Crobat over Rotom-C. While Rotom-C does boast good resistances to Electric and Grass attacks, it doesn't do its job well. SubCM Raikou sets up on Rotom-C, especially ones that are not offensive. Zapdos carry Heat Wave or HP Ice. Grass Types also generally carry HP Ice, or in Roserade's case, Sludge bomb.

Having a Choice Banded Crobat with Brave Bird, U-Turn, Sleep Talk, and Cross Poison would benefit your team. Not only does it hit extremely hard, it has great typing for the UU Meta, and you can easily U-turn out on threats, such as Raikou and Zapdos. Having such a fast band user forces the opponent to have to attack it outright, rather than set up, examples being Rain Dance Kingdra and Calm Mind Suicine. Though Snorlax is your primary special wall, by virtue of typing, Crobat will be able to come in on special grass, bug, and poison types attack, all while countering and checking most fighting types. Just my thoughts.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Band bat is stellar, I echo this suggestion. Super fang sometimes gets a mention for a moveslot, but generally you want to just u-turn if youre predicting a switch to a common counter anyways. Cross poison provide a non suicide STAB for late game

I will say that itwill die fast if you just spam brave bird, so be conservative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)