ORAS OU Fluff Based Offense

That's right, I'm basing a team around fluff. Because who doesn't love Mega-Altaria... besides everyone who has to battle against it?

Disclaimer: I've been playing on showdown (and lurking/giving advice in competitive tutoring room) for years, but I've never really made a foray into smogon forums. I figure now was about the right time but I'm still pretty new, so I'll probably be making formatting edits as I learn more.

Team Line-up

In Depth

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Overview: Bulky Dragon Dance Sweeper

Full Analysis: Mega-Altaria is included because it's what the team is based around... and its also manages to be amazing and fluffy and still good at beating fools senseless. It provides the main offensive presence on the team in the late game, but I'm not just using it as a win condition, because I figure that if I find something good to set up on half way through the battle there's not reason not to lose it in a good exchange. The set is very standard bulky offense, and I'm running Heal Bell over Earthquake because I value my attack and speed stats (burn/paralyse) more than extra coverage, and because it has worked WONDERS in a most of the battles I've played with the team so far.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earth Power
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

Overview: Special-based Mixed Wallbreaker

Full Analysis: I added Kyurem-Black next because I figured it worked well with Mega-Altaria, though I don't remember quite why. Kyurem-Black supplies my team with great wall-breaking ability, especially on with the sometimes unexpected power of its special moves. It clears though some issues to Mega-Altaria (such as Heatran/Rotom-Wash/Other bulky water and steel types). This set is also fairly standard, running iron head over a dragon move to give fairies a bit of a hard time.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Overview: Special Scarf

Full Analysis: Keldeo is currently S rank for a reason, and I included it to use its great speed and revenge killing ability. As such, it handles quite a few fast threats that I might otherwise have issues with, and helps me out a bit against those pesky steel types (especially Heatran). The set is also super standard (not sure if you're starting to see a pattern here). Icy Wind was chosen over Hidden Power Electric because I already have Kyurem-Black.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Overview: Physical Attacker

Full Analysis: I included Bisharp as a powerful physical attacker because I already had 2 special attackers (which at this stage in team creation is highly unusual for me, at least in ORAS) and because I lacked priority. Bisharp proves a great attacking dark type, my only knock off user, and the most reliable fairy check on my team, as well as having the potential to be devastating if set up. I chose Swords Dance over Low Kick/Pursuit because I would prefer to have the potential to set up on good match-ups or predicted switches than to trap or add a small amount of coverage.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Overview: Special Attacker

Full Analysis: I chose Landorus because I had no ground types so far, and I value its great special movepool and power very highly. It provides consistently powerful special attacks against a range of threats, as well as cracking the 100 base speed tier (something my other unlocked special attacker, Kyurem-Black, fails to achieve). Ice has always been a great attacking type and Hidden Power Ice gives Landorus the ability to check the Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground- type pokemon that OU tends to contain. Sludge Wave is necessary to hit bulky Grass- and Fairy- type pokemon, something that my team tends to struggle with otherwise, and Psychic is my only move to deal with Mega Venusaur as well as various Fighting-types. This set does mean I lose out on Focus Blast, something I've used very consistently on Landorus in the past, but I think the other moves are much more necessary, and I have Keldeo to make up for it usually.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Overview: Physcial Wall, Defensive Pivot, Azumarill counter (becasue otherwise I get wrecked by that monster)

Full Analysis: I chose Ferrothorn because I had no other pokemon that I wanted to have entry hazards on, and because my team was lacking defensive options. Ferrothorn is necessary for my team to have something to switch in to powerful physical attackers, such as Azumarill, as well as providing a much needed counter to aggressive fairies (such as Azumarill). This set is designed to make Ferrothorn as long lasting as possible with Leech Seed/Protect, to set up rocks, and chip away with gyro ball, which has the added bonus of coming in handy against Dragon Dance set up.

The General Team Idea

This team basically revolves around Mega-Altaria: the pokemon are either designed to take out its counters and let it set up in the late game, or to benefit and close the match out after Altaria has crippled the opponent's team. Every pokemon on the team is high quality and highly capable of doing its job, as evidenced by the fact that they're all in or above the A ranks on Smogon's OU viability ranking. My play style tends to lean towards a cross of bulky offense and hyper offense, and I think it shows with my pokemon and set choices.

Conclusion

This is the first team in ORAS that I've created that I'm actually happy with in battle. I've recently come back from a 3-4 month break from competitive battling because the issue of not liking the teams I was using was so frustrating, and while I appreciate what this one does (as well as somehow managing to put in as many S rank pokemon as physically possible without actually checking the rankings) it has some issues that I was hoping to fix/get help with.

For example, I'm sure many of you have noticed long before now that I don't have a Spinner/Defogger, and while this isn't too much of an issue for anything other than Kyurem-Black and Altaria before it Mega evolves, I still don't appreciate taking all that free damage. Furthermore, I often feel that my lack of innovation with sets/pokemon means that my sets are highly predictable, and though I think this is an issue for a lot of ~1400 players I'm not sure what to do about it.

Hopefully I'll get some useful feedback from the thread, and to any looking to use my team, enjoy!

All Sets are PS! compatible, full team is here:
http://pastebin.com/hmvjHa0c

Shout-outs:
basedscald - showed me where to get sprites

Edit: V1.1, added some formatting (mostly bold), made the post a bit easier to read.
Edit: V1.2, added sprites, added shout-outs section, changed some outdated information in the intro section

Last edited:
Thanks a heap man, images help me keep people interested by not just writing a wall of text and make the thread look nicer. The site didn't have Mega sprites though, so I've just added normal Altaria.

Pretty solid offensive team. Not much I would change except maybe Altaria's set a little

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 64 HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

With out earthquake, ALtaria gets walled by the numorous steel types that liter OU and I know you have pokes for that, but I like to run eq just in case. The ev spread is to give altaria a little more speed and power, while still being bulky enough to sponge hits.

Other than that, great team :)

Thanks for the suggestion Gorechomp. I think the difference between the set you posted and the one I have initially is that yours is a much more aggressive set where as mine is optimized for maximum bulk. I'll try out yours, see which one I prefer, and talk about it in the OP when I've made a decision, though I have to concede that your aggressive set will probably suit my play-style more.

Thanks for the suggestion Gorechomp. I think the difference between the set you posted and the one I have initially is that yours is a much more aggressive set where as mine is optimized for maximum bulk. I'll try out yours, see which one I prefer, and talk about it in the OP when I've made a decision.
Fair enough. Although in hindsight, having heal bell isn't a bad option either :)

I've actually had a look at Smogon's Altaria analysis and the recommendation there is to run max attack and cut some speed for hp, because after a DDance it outspeeds most of the things it needs to anyway. Its pretty much the set you suggested though, so I'll definitely try it out and tinker with the evs.

So I made the change and immediately got destroyed by will-o/ddance zard x. Could just be variance but its definitely a threat that the original altaria set would have handled.

Edit: In the couple of matches I've played with the aggressive altaria I've found that the loss of bulk also changes some significant 3hkos into 2hkos, such as eq for lando-t, and some 4hkos into 3hkos, such as scarf keldeo's scald, as well as meaning I don't have a good TFlame check, especially to WoW variants, and this results in half my team getting burned. I've decided that I'll probably stick w/ the bulky altaria w/ heal bell, but I'll still experiment a bit to see if the aggressive version has some upside that I haven't found yet.

Last edited:
If I haven't already gotten Altaria in to mega evolve I kinda just have to predict and pray. Is there a way that I can get defog/spin onto the team with a tflame counter and not lose something important?

If I haven't already gotten Altaria in to mega evolve I kinda just have to predict and pray. Is there a way that I can get defog/spin onto the team with a tflame counter and not lose something important?
i dont think theres a poke that can get rid of hazards and counter talon

an OKish check would be scarf drill

I still wouldn't be able to switch the drill into the tflame most of the time, because it means I have to correctly predict a brave bird, something that I can do anyway with the team as it is. Furthermore, locking myself into spin seems like a terrible idea, and I'm not sure which pokemon I would take out for exca. Kyurem perhaps? Bisharp?

An alternative would be to run sand rush and not worry about scarf, but that would require me to switch at least one more pokemon to make space for ttar/hippowdown, and at that point it feels not like a correction for this team, but a whole new team entirely, one with a focus on sand and weather.

You raised a good point in showing that I don't have much against talonflame, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what I can do about it, and for now the lack of a way to remove hazards its grating on me more... but I'm not sure how to remedy that either. Which is, of course, why I made this an RMT and looked for suggestions. If you can think of anything else I'd still love to hear about it and maybe experiment with it.

alrite i came up with 2 options

1. mandibuzz
this fat bird can switch in on t-flame quite well and pretty much beat it 1v1 as long as its not the stallbreaker t-flame

2.aerodactyl
this thing gets defog and roost and is faster than t-flame. Not much to say about it.

Aerodactyl does work, it loses unless it gets a free switch in
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Aerodactyl: 156-184 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Same calc for Flare Blitz ofc

Obviously this is the banded set, which I could then play around by knowing what move it was locked into, but its still not ideal.
Aero does take out the SD set, even if an SD was set up on the switch:
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Aerodactyl: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Aerodactyl: 228-268 (75.7 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But it still loses the the Will-O set if the switch is predicted or if whatever I'm switching out of was worth burning anyway.
Running Mega-Aero doesn't even really help (even if I was willing to run it and kill the heart of my team, Mega-Altaria)
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 127-150 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
After a hit on the non-mega version this is more than 50% chance to 2hko, though I'm not exactly sure how to run that kind of thing on the actual calculator.

Mandibuzz is a lot more promising as I can basically stall the TFlame out, so it either kills itself with recoil, runs out of PP, or switches
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 180-213 (42.5 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And foul play hard counters the SD set:
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 132-156 (31.2 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 262-310 (61.9 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 300-354 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

And Mandi doesn't really care about getting burned, so the Will-O set isn't an issue.
Having said all that, I haven't had much success with Mandibuzz in the past, and I can't figure out what to take out of my team without either weakening its offensive potential or opening myself up to some other top tier threat.

I suppose I'll test the team running it over Bisharp, but if you have any suggestions on how I can pull this off, please do let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)