Flygon (GP 2/2)

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK here's Flygon. I am atm quite undecided about the mixed set, which I didnt like much myself but other people seem to. Also, I could be persuaded to add Hone Claws, or combine the choice sets, if necessary.

QC 3/3 (PK Gaming, Snunch, Oglemi)

GP 1/2 (Zdrup15, Telamonianajax)

[Overview]

<p>Dragon-types in UU are, to say the least, few and far between, and Flygon is probably the best. Although it has fallen from the heights of OU, Flygon plays in much the same way as in the previous generation. If anything, with fewer Steel-types, Flygon has become an even greater force in BW UU. Dragon-type moves have near perfect coverage alone, and when combined with Earthquake hit every Pokemon bar Shedinja and Bronzor at least neutrally. Its typing is also excellent defensively, giving it resistance to both Rock- and Ground-type moves, and only one common weakness in Ice. Importantly, its typing and ability give it resistance to Stealth Rock and immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. However, Flygon's main use is offensive; its respectable stats and decent movepool allow it to go revenge killing with a Choice Scarf or breaking walls with a Choice Band or Mixed set. On top of this, Flygon gets U-turn, which allows it to scout and to gain momentum for its team. Altogether, Flygon is a real team player, helping out immeasurably by taking out certain offensive and defensive threats, with very little support required. Though Flygon may rarely sweep a team 6-0, its contribution will almost never go unnoticed.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Outrage
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This was Flygon's flagship set last generation, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, has changed little; when equipped with a Choice Scarf, Flygon becomes a capable revenge killer, late-game cleaner, and scout. Flygon has good Speed and excellent coverage, allowing it to frequently turn the momentum of the battle in your favor. Even more importantly, it is virtually immune to entry hazards. Earthquake is Flygon's staple STAB attack, providing excellent power without any obvious drawbacks. Outrage provides great neutral coverage alongside it, failing only against Shedinja, and is Flygon's most powerful move; its unfortunate side-effect, however, relegates it to use in late-game cleaning and in desperate situations. Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage alongside Earthquake when Flygon does not wish to lock itself in. Finally, U-turn gives this set its scouting and momentum-changing ability, while also hitting Grass-types when Outrage is not ideal.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are several other options that can be used in the fourth moveslot should you need to revenge kill a specific threat. Fire-type moves can help in revenge-killing various Grass- and Bug-type foes without locking Flygon into Outrage; Fire Blast can be used with a Naughty nature, offering higher Base Power and a decent hit on physically defensive Pokemon, while Fire Punch can be used for accuracy, and to preserve Flygon's defenses. ThunderPunch can provide coverage against various Water-type opponents, though you might instead consider Toxic, which cripples many of Flygon's checks, including many of said bulky Water-types. Dragon Claw is very weak, offering little super effective coverage, but still provides great neutral coverage alongside Earthquake without the need to lock into a move. As far as alternative spreads go, few are recommended; the spread is terribly simple, maximizing power and Speed to focus on Flygon's strengths. A Jolly nature offers a tie with other +1 base 100 Speed pokemon, including Zapdos and Victini, but these are rare. An Adamant nature provides a much-needed power boost, as base 100 Attack is decidedly average.</p>

<p>Little is needed to support Flygon; Flygon itself supports the team by checking threats and providing momentum. The only thing that Flygon really loves is entry hazard support, as it forces many switches using U-turn. Additionally, UU's few Steel-types are all grounded, and as such Spikes can be used to wear them down, letting Flygon clean up with Outrage later in the game.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Earthquake
move 4: Dragon Claw / Stone Edge
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although this set may seem rather similar to the Choice Scarf set at first glance, the focus is entirely different; instead of revenge killing, Choice Band Flygon breaks through walls. Most people will expect Flygon to carry a Choice Scarf, and will receive quite a shock when they realize that Flygon can 2HKO virtually every Pokemon in UU. On this set, Outrage is the main move, packing truly excellent neutral coverage on its own, save the few Steel-types in UU; these are slammed by Earthquake. U-turn allows you to take advantage of the switches Flygon will cause, racking up damage on Flygon's counters by forcing them to switch in and out of entry hazards. Unlike on the Choice Scarf set, Dragon Claw has usable power, and as such replaces Stone Edge, which is redundant in terms of neutral coverage. Stone Edge still hits various Flying-types hard, including Zapdos, and so may still be considered.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature allows Flygon to outrun positive-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon, such as Roserade, Deoxys-D, and Porygon-Z, as well as to tie with other base 100s. However, most of these Pokemon will not expect to outrun Flygon, and you should remember that this set is all about power. Fire Punch offers an alternative for hitting Bug- and Grass-types, but generally Outrage or U-turn is superior. As Flygon gets near-perfect coverage with its STAB attacks alone, there is really nothing else of note.</p>

<p>This set generally plays the role of a wallbreaker; therefore, it is nice to have something to take advantage of the softening up of the opponent's team. Particularly noteworthy are Pokemon countered by Flygon's normal switch-ins; Dragon Dance Kingdra, for example, can be used in a "Double Dragon" strategy. Otherwise, Spikes is the most important thing when using Flygon; as mentioned previously, most of Flygon's checks, including every Steel-type, are susceptible, and as such can easily be worn down after a few U-turns. With Stealth Rock and Spikes, Flygon will be able to 2HKO virtually every wall, and OHKO virtually everything faster than it.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Outrage / Roost
item: Life Orb
nature: Rash
evs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to rip through many of Flygon's usual checks by hitting unexpectedly on the special side. Most of Flygon's switch-ins, including Slowbro, Tangrowth, and Hitmontop, take a very heavy hit from Draco Meteor, allowing another Pokemon on your team to take advantage. It should also be noted that this move is much less risky than Outrage, and as such this set relies much less on prediction than the Choice Band set. Earthquake and Outrage allow Flygon to hit hard on the physical side with perfect coverage; a combination of one of these and Draco Meteor is quite hard to stop with entry hazards in play. Fire Blast grants Flygon perfect coverage on the special side too, while specifically hitting Bug-, Grass-, and Steel-types, such as Tangrowth, Celebi, and Escavalier. Altogether, these moves turn Flygon into a flexible, unpredictable powerhouse that is capable of tearing through many of its usual checks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread on this set is fairly simple: the Speed EVs allow Flygon to outrun neutral-natured base 90s, Special Attack is maximized with a boosting nature to give Draco Meteor great power, and the rest is dumped into Attack to beef up Earthquake and Outrage. The spread is somewhat flexible, though; with this spread, Flygon struggles to get past Chansey, which is a problem for a mixed attacker, so instead a spread of 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Speed may be used with a Naughty nature. This guarantees a 2HKO on Chansey with Outrage, assuming Stealth Rock is up. However, Flygon will then struggle against the very Pokemon this is meant to hit: the likes of Slowbro, Hitmontop, and Tangrowth. Alternatively, you may wish to maximize Flygon's Speed with 252 EVs and a Naive nature, letting it tie with other base 100s while outrunning all base 90s. The drop in power is unfortunately very noticeable, however. As far as other moves go, Roost and U-turn are the main alternatives, allowing longevity and scouting capability, respectively. These should generally replace Outrage, although they may also be used over Fire Blast, depending on your preference.</p>

<p>As far as teammates go, you should be looking to take advantage of the weakening or elimination of the aforementioned physical walls. Virtually any physical attacker is viable, though Steel-types are of particular note, because of their synergy with Flygon. Entry hazards, such as Spikes and Stealth Rock, allow Flygon to KO numerous walls with a combination of Draco Meteor and either Outrage or Earthquake, and as such are also recommended. Deoxys-D is a good example of a Pokemon to set up hazards.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flygon finally received a boosting move in the fifth generation; unfortunately, Hone Claws only offers a small Attack boost, and Flygon cannot really take advantage of the accuracy boost outside of Stone Edge. Flygon will likely be too slow and weak to sweep effectively even after a boost. More defensive options are fairly notable; Flygon has a unique and useful defensive typing. Toxic works well alongside Earthquake, and can be used alongside Roost and maybe Substitute to stall out the opponent. Dragon Tail also provides Flygon with some utility, letting it phaze out set-up sweepers and rack up residual damage. Screech allows Flygon to force switches, but Flygon already does so adequately with U-turn. Crunch is the only coverage move of note not previously mentioned, offering a decent hit on the likes of Slowbro, Celebi, and Mew without locking Flygon into Outrage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything with reasonable bulk can check the Choice Scarf set; Chansey, Dusclops, Deoxys-D, Slowbro, and Hitmontop are among a long list of Pokemon that will easily shrug off its blows. The Choice Band set, however, is a different matter. To avoid a 2HKO from the appropriate move, great physical bulk is necessaryGligar is one of few counters. Your best bet is either to predict the opponent's move, or simply to outrun and revenge kill Flygon; this is especially easy when it is locked into Outrage. The Mixed set is somewhat easier to counter—for this decent mixed bulk is required. Chansey, Deoxys-D, and Suicune, for example, can counter it pretty easily. With entry hazard support, though, they may struggle, so you may want to consider packing a Rapid Spinner.</p>

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Usually i'm a huge proponent for speed boosting natures who am I kidding, i'm not but scarf Flygon is disgustingly weak without an atk boosting nature. Without Staraptor, I don't see many other common base 100's that run scarf(Zapdos is just barely seen I guess) Adamant should get the primary slash imo.

Everything else looks good.
QC APPROVED (1/3)

Edit: Don't, Flygon isn't like Garchomp its too weak to make good use out of Dragon Claw.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Why is the mixed set so weird? Running a rash nature and HP investment? No Fire Blast?

Maybe something like this:

Flygon @ Life Orb
Rash
72 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Outrage/Dragon Claw

Earthquake rips apart Registeel and Empoleon while Fire Blast takes out Escavalier, Cobalion, Celebi and Tangrowth. Draco Meteor just hurts things in general, ohkoing Flygon's common checks (like Donphan and Rhyperior). Outrage does a respectable 36% average to Chansey and is also good against specially defensive things in general.
Mention an alternate spread of 252 Atk / 72 SpA / 176 Spe Naughty. This lets you 2hko Chansey with outrage, guaranteed and also lets you hit harder with Earthquake/Outrage, which helps against Zapdos and bulky waters, while retaining Fire Blast's power against defensive threats weak to fire.

Covered it all, pretty much. Add Crunch and the elemental punches as outclassed options in OO.
And I agree some with FlareBlitz' comments about the mixed set. Fire Blast should at least be in AC. And do the HP Evs accomplish anything? Seems strange to not put the rest into Attack.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what does fire blast hit tbh? like i dont see the need for fire blast. registeel and empoleon run spdef sets

edit: ok maybe i missed that, but outa that list the only 2 that are really viable there are tangrowth and celebi to try and wall flygon. escavilier is pretty uncommon while cobalion will easily be 2hkoed by earthquake.

jc104

Humblest person ever
Why is the mixed set so weird? Running a rash nature and HP investment? No Fire Blast?

Maybe something like this:

Flygon @ Life Orb
Rash
72 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Outrage/Dragon Claw

Earthquake rips apart Registeel and Empoleon while Fire Blast takes out Escavalier, Cobalion, Celebi and Tangrowth. Draco Meteor just hurts things in general, ohkoing Flygon's common checks (like Donphan and Rhyperior). Outrage does a respectable 36% average to Chansey and is also good against specially defensive things in general.
Mention an alternate spread of 252 Atk / 72 SpA / 176 Spe Naughty. This lets you 2hko Chansey with outrage, guaranteed and also lets you hit harder with Earthquake/Outrage, which helps against Zapdos and bulky waters, while retaining Fire Blast's power against defensive threats weak to fire.
The HP investment was an error; obviousy (as mentioned in the comments) its meant to be in attack. As for Fire Blast, I was not so impressed with it. It was't overlooked - that's why it was already in AC. However, since I don't like the set in general, I'll take your word for it for now. As for that alternate spread, it sounds great. I had no idea you could 2HKO Chansey like that (I think you must need SR at least because CB does like 51% min). If anything that sounds better than the primary spread.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
LO Outrage from Naughty 252 Atk Flygon does 43.9% - 51.7% to Chansey, which is a guaranteed 2hko after Stealth Rock.

It's certainly a good spread, but the specially-oriented spread has significant advantages. With the physical spread, you miss out on a lot of power with respect to Draco Meteor - you go from straight up ohkoing Donphan to doing an average of 76%, for reference; this loss of power means you also have much more trouble with Slowbro, Gligar, Hitmontop, and other dedicated physical walls. You also miss out on the ohko on Tangrowth with Fire Blast, and do significantly less damage to Celebi.

The advantages of being able to get past Chansey and Umbreon much easier might make up for it though; it really depends on the team. However, since the Mixed set should primarily be played in order to lure and destroy Flygon's usual counters, I'd say the specially oriented spread is slightly more deserving of being the primary option :)

And feel free to test and get back - Mixed Flygon is extremely underrated.

Choice Band set has Choice Scarf listed as an item. You may want to change that.

Also, no Roost in the Mixed set? I always thought it was much superior to Outrage.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: SubRooster
move 2: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Roost
nature: Adamant

Opinions?

jc104

Humblest person ever
Redtype said:
Choice Band set has Choice Scarf listed as an item. You may want to change that.

Also, no Roost in the Mixed set? I always thought it was much superior to Outrage.
Thanks for the heads up. Protip: do not write up skeleton analyses late at night while mildly drunk.

Fire Blast is by far the most useless move on the mixed set as it is. I would certainly consider slashing Roost or U-turn with it. Outrage is really good for damaging specially defensive Pokemon, and can help finish off Pokemon weakened by Draco Meteor.

JT Swift said:
[SET]
name: SubRooster
move 2: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Roost
nature: Adamant

Opinions?

It would be nice if you could explain exactly what the point of this set really is. Certainly it wont work like any other SubRoost pokemon I've seen. One of the most crucial things about other SubRoost pokemon is stalling out super effective moves, and then walling stuff using resistances. Flygon is not going to do that, so I presume that the idea is to use Sub to scout a switch, and then hit stuff hard and roost when necessary. My opinion is that Flygon has no need to do this; dragon moves have such great coverage that you would probably be best simply smashing stuff off the bat rather than subbing first. I'm certainly not going to put this in the analysis unless someone presents a very persuasive argument for it along with an explanation of how it works.

Blue = Add
Red = Delete
Bold = Comment

[Overview]

<p>Dragon-types in UU are, to say the least, few and far between, and Flygon is probably the best. Although it has fallen from the heights of OU, Flygon plays in much the same way as in the previous generation. If anything, with fewer Steel-types, Flygon has become an even greater force in BW UU. Dragon-type moves have near perfect coverage alone, and when combined with Earthquake, (comma) hit every Pokemon bar Shedinja and Bronzor at least neutrally. Its typing is also defensively excellent, giving it resistance to both Rock-type Rock- and Ground-type moves, and only one common weakness in Ice. However, Flygon's main use is offensive; its respectable stats and decent movepool allow it to go revenge killing with a Choice Scarf or breaking walls with a Choice Band or Mixed set. On top of this, Flygon receives has (I may be nitpicking but "receives" gave me the idea Flygon got it this Gen, which isn't true) U-turn, which allows it to scout and to gain momentum for its team. Altogether, Flygon is a real team player, requiring little support, and helping the team out immeasurably by taking out certain threats, whether they be offensive or defensive. Though Flygon may rarely sweep a team 6-0, its contribution will almost never go unnoticed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This was Flygon's flagship set last generation, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, has changed little; when equipped with a Choice Scarf, Flygon becomes a capable revenge killer, late-game cleaner, and scout. Flygon has good speed, Speed, resistance to entry hazards, and excellent coverage, allowing it to frequently to turn the momentum of the battle into your favor. Earthquake is Flygon's staple STAB attack, providing excellent power without any obvious drawbacks. Outrage provides excellent great neutral coverage alongside it, failing only against Shedinja, and is Flygon's most powerful move; its unfortunate side-effect, however, relegates it to use in late-game cleaning and in desperate situations. Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage alongside Earthquake when Flygon does not wish to lock itself in. Finally, U-turn gives this set its scouting and momentum-changing ability, while also hitting Grass-types when Outrage is not ideal.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are several other options which can be utilised in the fourth moveslot should you need to revenge kill a specific threat. Fire-type moves can help in revenge-killing various Grass- and Bug-type foes without locking into Outrage; Fire Blast can be used with a Naughty nature, offering higher Base Power and a decent hit on specially defensive Pokemon, while Fire Punch can be used for accuracy, and to preserve Flygon's defenses. ThunderPunch can provide coverage against various Water-type opponents, though you might instead consider Toxic, which cripples many of Flygon's checks, including many of said bulky Waters Water-types. Dragon Claw is very weak, offering little super effective coverage, but still provides great neutral coverage alongside Earthquake without the need to lock in. As far as alternative spreads go, few are recommended; the spread is terribly simple, maximising power and Speed to focus on Flygon's strengths. A Jolly nature offers a tie with other +1 base 100s, including Zapdos and Victini, but these are rare. An Adamant nature provides a much-needed power boost, as base 100 Attack is decidedly average.</p>

<p>Little is needed to support Flygon; Flygon itself rather supports the team by checking threats and providing momentum. The only thing that Flygon really loves is entry hazard support, as it forces many switches using U-turn. Additionally, UU's few Steel-types are all grounded, and as such Spikes can be used to wear them down, letting Flygon clean up with Outrage later in the game.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>(no space)Though on the face of it paper this set may seem rather similar to the Choice Scarf set, the focus is entirely different; instead of revenge killing, Choice Band Flygon breaks through walls. Most people will expect Flygon to carry a Choice Scarf, and will receive quite a shock when they realise that Flygon can 2HKO virtually every Pokemon in UU. On this set, (comma) Outrage is the main move, packing truly excellent neutral coverage on its own, save the few Steel-types in UU which are slammed by Earthquake. U-turn allows you to take advantage of the switches caused, racking up damage on Flygon's counters by forcing them to switch in and out of entry hazards. Unlike on the Choice Scarf set, Dragon Claw has feasible power, and as such replaces Stone Edge, which is redundant in terms of neutral coverage. Stone Edge still hits various Flying-types, such as Zapdos, very hard, and as such may still be considered.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature allows Flygon to outrun positive-natured base 90s, such as Roserade, Deoxys-D, and Porygon-Z, as well as to tie with other base 100s. However, most of these Pokemon will not expect to outrun Flygon, and it should be remembered that this set is all about power. As far as alternate moves go, Fire Punch offers an alternative for hitting Bug- and Grass-types, but generally Outrage or U-turn is superior. As Flygon gets near-perfect coverage with STAB alone, (comma) there really is nothing else of note.</p>

<p>This Flygon set generally plays the role of a wallbreaker; generally, therefore, it is nice to have something to take advantage of the softening up of the opponent's team. Particularly noteworthy are Pokemon countered by Flygon's normal switch-ins; Dragon Dance Kingdra, for example, can be used in a "Double Dragon" strategy. Otherwise, Spikes is the most important thing when using Flygon; as mentioned previously, most of Flygon's checks, including every Steel-type, are susceptible, including every Steel-type, and as such can be easily worn down after a few U-turns. With Stealth Rock and Spikes, Flygon will be able to 2HKO virtually every wall, and OHKO virtually everything faster than it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to allow Flygon to rip through many of its Flygon's usual checks by hitting unexpectedly on the special side. Most of Flygon's switch-ins, including Slowbro, Tangrowth, and Hitmontop, take a very heavy hit from Draco Meteor, allowing another Pokemon on the user's team to take advantage. It should also be noted that this move is much less risky than Outrage, and as such this set relies much less on prediction than the Choice Band set. Earthquake and Outrage allow Flygon to hit hard on the physical side with perfect coverage; a combination of one of these and Draco Meteor is quite hard to stop with entry hazards in play. Fire Blast also allows Flygon to have perfect coverage on the special side too, while specifically hitting Bug-, Grass- Grass-, and Steel-types, such as Tangrowth, Celebi, and Escavalier. Altogether, these moves turn Flygon into a flexible, unpredictable powerhouse that is capable of tearing through many of its usual checks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread on this set is fairly simple: the Speed EVs allow Flygon to outrun neutral-natured base 90s, Special Attack is maximised with a boosting nature to give Draco Meteor great power, and the rest is dumped into Attack to beef up Earthquake and Outrage. The spread is somewhat flexible though; with this spread Flygon struggles to get past Chansey, which is a problem for a mixed attacker, so instead a spread of 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Speed may be used with a Naughty nature. This guarantees a 2HKO on Chansey with Outrage, assuming Stealth Rock is up. However, Flygon will then struggle against the very Pokemon this is meant to hit: the likes of Slowbro, Hitmontop, and Tangrowth. Alternatively, you may wish to maximise Flygon's Speed with 252 EVs and a Naive nature, letting it tie with other base 100s while outrunning all base 90s. The drop in power is unfortunately very noticeable, however. As far as other moves go, Roost and U-turn are the main ones, allowing longevity and scouting capability, respectively. These generally go over Outrage, although they may also be used over Fire Blast depending on preference.</p>

<p>As far as teammates go, you should be looking to take advantage of the weakening or elimination of the aforementioned physical walls. Virtually any physical attacker is viable, though Steel-types are particularly of note because of their synergy with Flygon. Entry hazards such as Spikes and Stealth Rock allow Flygon to KO numerous walls with a combination of Draco Meteor and Outrage or Earthquake, and as such are also recommended. Deoxys-D is a good example of a Pokemon to set up hazards.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flygon finally received a boosting move with the coming of the Fifth Generation; unfortunately, Hone Claws only offers a small Attack boost, and Flygon cannot really take advantage of the accuracy boost outside of Stone Edge. Flygon will likely be too slow and weak to sweep effectively even after a boost. More defensive options a are fairly notable; Flygon has a unique and useful defensive typing. Toxic works well alongside Earthquake, and can be used alongside Roost and maybe Substitute to stall out the opponent. Dragon Tail also provides Flygon with some utility, letting it phaze out setup set-up sweepers and rack up residual damage. Screech allows Flygon to force switches, but Flygon already does so adequately with U-turn. Crunch is the only coverage move of note not previously mentioned, giving a decent hit on the likes of Slowbro, Celebi, and Mew without locking into Outrage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything with reasonable bulk can check the Choice Scarf set; Chansey, Dusclops, Deoxys-D, Slowbro, and Hitmontop are among a long list of Pokemon that will easily shrug off its blows. The Choice Band set, however, is a different matter. To avoid a 2HKO from the appropriate move great physical bulk is needed - Gligar needed—Gligar is one of few counters. Your best bet is either to predict the opponent's move, or simply to outrun and revenge kill Flygon; this is especially easy when it is locked into Outrage. The Mixed set is somewhat easier to counter—this time decent mixed bulk is required. Chansey, Deoxys-D, and Suicune, for example, can counter it pretty easily. With entry hazard support, though, they may struggle, so you may want to consider packing a Rapid Spinner.</p>
  • Careful with set-up and setup
  • Always use the em dash

GP APPROVED 1/2

jc104

Humblest person ever
Ok made most of those changes. A few changes I didn't feel were right though - for example "on the face of it" and "on paper" have completely different meanings - and so I left a few things or changed them differently.

Looks good. One comment in there; make sure you address that.

[Overview]

<p>Dragon-types in UU are, to say the least, few and far between, and Flygon is probably the best. Although it has fallen from the heights of OU, Flygon plays in much the same way as in the previous generation. If anything, with fewer Steel-types, Flygon has become an even greater force in BW UU. Dragon-type moves have near perfect coverage alone, and when combined with Earthquake, hit every Pokemon bar Shedinja and Bronzor at least neutrally. Its typing is also excellent defensively excellent, giving it resistances to both Rock- and Ground-type moves, and only one common weakness in Ice. However, Flygon's main use is offensive; its respectable stats and decent movepool allow it to go revenge killing with a Choice Scarf or breaking walls with a Choice Band or Mixed set. On top of this, Flygon gets U-turn, which allows it to scout and to gain momentum for its team. Altogether, Flygon is a real team player, requiring little support, and helping the team out immeasurably by taking out certain threats, whether they be offensive or defensivehelping out immeasurably by taking out certain offensive and defensive threats, with very little support required. Though Flygon may rarely sweep a team 6-0, its contribution will almost never go unnoticed.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This was Flygon's flagship set last generation, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, has changed little; when equipped with a Choice Scarf, Flygon becomes a capable revenge killer, late-game cleaner, and scout. Flygon has good Speed, resistance to entry hazards, and excellent coverage, allowing it to frequently turn the momentum of the battle into your favor. Earthquake is Flygon's staple STAB attack, providing excellent power without any obvious drawbacks. Outrage provides great neutral coverage alongside it, failing only against Shedinja, and is Flygon's most powerful move; its unfortunate side-effect, however, relegates it to use in late-game cleaning and in desperate situations. Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage alongside Earthquake when Flygon does not wish to lock itself in. Finally, U-turn gives this set its scouting and momentum-changing ability, while also hitting Grass-types when Outrage is not ideal.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are several other options whichthat can be utilised in the fourth moveslot should you need to revenge kill a specific threat. Fire-type moves can help in revenge-killing various Grass- and Bug-type foes without locking Flygon into Outrage; Fire Blast can be used with a Naughty nature,—you can either use Fire Blast with a Naughty nature or Fire Punch; the former offerings higher Base Power and a decent hit on specially defensive Pokemon, while Fire Punch can be used for accuracy, and to preserve Flygon's defenses.the latter has perfect accuracy and preserves Flygon's defenses. [COMMENT: Are you sure you mean "specially defensive"? Wouldn't Fire Blast be lame against specially defensive mons, but decent against physically defensive ones? See: Tangrowth] ThunderPunch can provide coverage against various Water-type opponents, though you might instead consider Toxic, which cripples many of Flygon's checks, including many of said bulky Water-types. Dragon Claw is very weak, offering little super effective coverage, but still provides great neutral coverage alongside Earthquake without the need to lock into a move. As far as alternative spreads go, few are recommended; the spread is terribly simple, maximiszing power and Speed to focus on Flygon's strengths. A Jolly nature offers a tie with other +1 base 100s Speed Pokemon, including Zapdos and Victini, but these are rare. An Adamant nature provides a much-needed power boost, as base 100 Attack is decidedly average.</p>

<p>Little is needed to support Flygon; Flygon itself rather supports the team by checking threats and providing momentum. The only thing that Flygon really loves is entry hazard support, as it forces many switches using U-turn. Additionally, UU's few Steel-types are all grounded, and as such, Spikes can be used to wear them down, letting Flygon clean up with Outrage later in the game.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>TAlthough on the face of it this set may seem rather similar to the Choice Scarf set at first glance, the focus is entirely different; instead of revenge killing, Choice Band Flygon breaks through walls. Most people will expect Flygon to carry a Choice Scarf, and will receive quite a shock when they realisze that Flygon can 2HKO virtually every Pokemon in UU. On this set, Outrage is the main move, packing truly excellent neutral coverage on its own, save the few Steel-types in UU which; these are slammed by Earthquake. U-turn allows you to take advantage of the switches Flygon will caused, racking up damage on Flygon's counters by forcing them to switch in and out of entry hazards. Unlike on the Choice Scarf set, Dragon Claw has feasiusable power, and as such, replaces Stone Edge, which is redundant in terms of neutral coverage. Stone Edge still hits hard various Flying-types, such as Zapdos, very hard, and as suchand so may still be considered.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature allows Flygon to outrun positive-natured base 90s Speed Pokemon, such as Roserade, Deoxys-D, and Porygon-Z, as well as to tie with other base 100s. However, most of these Pokemon will not expect to outrun Flygon, and ityou should be remembered that this set is all about power. As far as alternate moves go, Fire Punch offers an alternative for hitting Bug- and Grass-types, but generally, Outrage or U-turn is superior. As Flygon gets near-perfect coverage with its STAB attacks alone, there is really is nothing else of note.</p>

<p>This set generally plays the role of a wallbreaker; therefore, it is nice to have something to take advantage of the softening up of the opponent's team. Particularly noteworthy are Pokemon countered by Flygon's normal switch-ins; Dragon Dance Kingdra, for example, can be used in a "Double Dragon" strategy. Otherwise, Spikes is the most important thing when using Flygon; as mentioned previously, most of Flygon's checks, including every Steel-type, are susceptible to Spikes, and as such, can be easily be worn down after a few U-turns. With Stealth Rock and Spikes, Flygon will be able to 2HKO virtually every wall, and OHKO virtually everything faster than it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to rip through many of Flygon's usual checks by hitting unexpectedly on the special side. Most of Flygon's switch-ins, including Slowbro, Tangrowth, and Hitmontop, take a very heavy hit from Draco Meteor, allowing another Pokemon on the user'syour team to take advantage. It should also be noted that this move is much less risky than Outrage, and as such, this set relies much less on prediction than the Choice Band set. Earthquake and Outrage allow Flygon to hit hard on the physical side with perfect coverage; a combination of one of these and Draco Meteor is quite hard to stop with entry hazards in play. Fire Blast grants Flygon perfect coverage on the special side too, while specifically hitting Bug-, Grass-, and Steel-types, such as Tangrowth, Celebi, and Escavalier. Altogether, these moves turn Flygon into a flexible, unpredictable powerhouse that is capable of tearing through many of its usual checks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread on this set is fairly simple: the Speed EVs allow Flygon to outrun neutral-natured base 90s, Special Attack is maximiszed with a boosting nature to give Draco Meteor great power, and the rest is dumped into Attack to beef up Earthquake and Outrage. The spread is somewhat flexible, though; with this spread, Flygon struggles to get past Chansey, which is a problem for a mixed attacker, so instead, a spread of 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Speed may be used with a Naughty nature. This guarantees a 2HKO on Chansey with Outrage, assuming Stealth Rock is up. However, Flygon will then struggle against the very Pokemon this is meant to hit: the likes of Slowbro, Hitmontop, and Tangrowth. Alternatively, you may wish to maximisze Flygon's Speed with 252 EVs and a Naive nature, letting it tie with other base 100s while outrunning all base 90s. The drop in power is unfortunately very noticeable, however. As far as other moves go, Roost and U-turn are the main onalternatives, allowing longevity and scouting capability, respectively. These would generally go overreplace Outrage, although they may also be used overreplace Fire Blast, depending on your preference.</p>

<p>As far as teammates go, you should be looking to take advantage of the weakening or elimination of the aforementioned physical walls. Virtually any physical attacker is viable, though Steel-types are of particularly of note, because of their synergy with Flygon. Entry hazards, such as Spikes and Stealth Rock, allow Flygon to KO numerous walls with a combination of Draco Meteor and either Outrage or Earthquake, and as such, are also recommended. Deoxys-D is a good example of a Pokemon to set up hazards.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Flygon finally received a boosting move with the coming ofin the Ffifth Ggeneration; unfortunately, Hone Claws only offers a small Attack boost, and Flygon cannot really take advantage of the accuracy boost outside of Stone Edge. Flygon will likely be too slow and weak to sweep effectively even after a boost. More defensive options are fairly notable; Flygon has a unique and useful defensive typing. Toxic works well alongside Earthquake, and can be used alongside Roost and maybe Substitute to stall out the opponent. Dragon Tail also provides Flygon with some utility, letting it phaze out set-up sweepers and rack up residual damage. Screech allows Flygon to force switches, but Flygon already does so adequately with U-turn. Crunch is the only coverage move of note not previously mentioned, givoffering a decent hit on the likes of Slowbro, Celebi, and Mew without locking Flygon into Outrage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything with reasonable bulk can check the Choice Scarf set; Chansey, Dusclops, Deoxys-D, Slowbro, and Hitmontop are among a long list of Pokemon that will easily shrug off its blows. The Choice Band set, however, is a different matter. To avoid a 2HKO from the appropriate move, great physical bulk is needed—cessary—Gligar is one of few counters. Your best bet is either to predict the opponent's move, or simply to outrun and revenge kill Flygon; this is especially easy when it is locked into Outrage. The Mixed set is somewhat easier to counter—this time—for this, decent mixed bulk is required. Chansey, Deoxys-D, and Suicune, for example, can counter it pretty easily. With entry hazard support, though, they may struggle, so you may want to consider packing a Rapid Spinner.</p>

Add
Remove

GP Approved 2/2

jc104

Humblest person ever
Thanks for the check. I have made most of the changes, though there is one specific change I disagree with. I obviously use the phrase "and as such..." way too much, but as far as I see it is wrong to put a comma as follows: "and as such, ..." without also putting a comma as follows: "and, as such, ..." Two commas just makes it harder to read.

I also added in some additional mentions of Flygon's resistance to entry hazards as recommended by Chou Toshio. I made sure the sentences were simple so I cannot see that any additional checking is required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)