Follow Me Wartortle

This may sound somewhat gimmicky, but after extensive online play, I've found that Eviolite Wartortle with Follow Me (Wartortle gets the move through a Japanese distribution) is quite a viable partner in Doubles.

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Calm / Bold
252 HP, Sp. Def/Def varies
-Follow Me
-Protect
-Icy Wind / Ice Beam
-Scald / Surf

Basically, Wartortle's role is to soak up hits and allow its partner to attack uninhibited. It can take quite a beating before going down, and sponges many moves (e.g., Bullet Punches, Ice Beams, Fire Blasts) very well, due to its typing, 59/80/80 defenses, and Eviolite. Not many people expect Wartortle to use Follow Me, so it can catch quite a few opponents by surprise.

The downsides are that it can't re-direct spread moves or - more importantly - Fake Outs from all but the slowest users of the move (such as Hariyama, Sableye, and Scrafty [whom it Speed ties with]).

That being said, it definitely offers a unique and useful way to re-direct attacks without being as telegraphed as, say, Amoonguss or Togetic/Togekiss... maybe?

I don't understand why you'd use Wartortle over Togekiss. Togekiss gets guaranteed FM vs all those Fake out users, has better stats, better support moves (Tailwind/Thunder Wave/+) and it can actually use real items.

Agonist

The day the world went away
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, why use Wartortle over Blastoise? Blastoise at least gets the jump on more Fake Out users than Wartortle (and has significantly better HP than Wartortle).

Code:
252+ SpA Mew Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Wartortle: 76-90 (23.6 - 27.95%) -- possible 4HKO
252+ SpA Mew Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Wartortle: 67-79 (20.8 - 24.53%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ SpA Mew Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blastoise: 94-112 (25.96 - 30.93%) -- possible 4HKO
252+ SpA Mew Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 87-103 (24.03 - 28.45%) -- possible 5HKO
Really, Wartortle isn't that much bulkier than Blastoise. Meanwhile, Blastoise still has a usable 85 SpA compared to Wartortle's weak ass 65 SpA, not to mention Blastoise is faster, thus having a higher change to Follow Me before a Fake Out. Also, Blastoise can carry an actual item as opposed to Wartorle, who must carry an Eviolite.

Overall, I see no reason to use Wartortle > Blastoise. The little extra bulk isn't worth your item or making yourself set-up fodder to anything with a sub.

Hmm... I guess even with the significant boost in (Sp.) Defense that Wartortle gets, Blastoise's higher overall stats make it more usable in the end - especially since it gets the jump on most Hitmontop variants, which is crucial.
Thanks for your input.