1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Follow Me Wartortle

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Pokemondothon, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Pokemondothon

Pokemondothon

This may sound somewhat gimmicky, but after extensive online play, I've found that Eviolite Wartortle with Follow Me (Wartortle gets the move through a Japanese distribution) is quite a viable partner in Doubles.

Wartortle @ Eviolite
    Calm / Bold
    252 HP, Sp. Def/Def varies
    -Follow Me
    -Protect
    -Icy Wind / Ice Beam
    -Scald / Surf

Basically, Wartortle's role is to soak up hits and allow its partner to attack uninhibited. It can take quite a beating before going down, and sponges many moves (e.g., Bullet Punches, Ice Beams, Fire Blasts) very well, due to its typing, 59/80/80 defenses, and Eviolite. Not many people expect Wartortle to use Follow Me, so it can catch quite a few opponents by surprise.

The downsides are that it can't re-direct spread moves or - more importantly - Fake Outs from all but the slowest users of the move (such as Hariyama, Sableye, and Scrafty [whom it Speed ties with]).

That being said, it definitely offers a unique and useful way to re-direct attacks without being as telegraphed as, say, Amoonguss or Togetic/Togekiss... maybe?
  2. Anas2k7

Anas2k7

I don't understand why you'd use Wartortle over Togekiss. Togekiss gets guaranteed FM vs all those Fake out users, has better stats, better support moves (Tailwind/Thunder Wave/+) and it can actually use real items.
  3. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

Also, why use Wartortle over Blastoise? Blastoise at least gets the jump on more Fake Out users than Wartortle (and has significantly better HP than Wartortle).
  4. hathater

hathater

Eviolite gives it better bulk
  5. Agonist

is a Forum Moderator

not really, when you consider Blastoise can actually use items that recover HP.
  6. hathater

hathater

well, it can stay in longer under certain circumstances
  7. The Reptile

The Reptile Wonderful Wiggling Wyrms!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Code:
    252+ SpA Mew Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Wartortle: 76-90 (23.6 - 27.95%) -- possible 4HKO
    252+ SpA Mew Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Wartortle: 67-79 (20.8 - 24.53%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
    252+ SpA Mew Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blastoise: 94-112 (25.96 - 30.93%) -- possible 4HKO
    252+ SpA Mew Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 87-103 (24.03 - 28.45%) -- possible 5HKO
    Really, Wartortle isn't that much bulkier than Blastoise. Meanwhile, Blastoise still has a usable 85 SpA compared to Wartortle's weak ass 65 SpA, not to mention Blastoise is faster, thus having a higher change to Follow Me before a Fake Out. Also, Blastoise can carry an actual item as opposed to Wartorle, who must carry an Eviolite.

Overall, I see no reason to use Wartortle > Blastoise. The little extra bulk isn't worth your item or making yourself set-up fodder to anything with a sub.
  8. hathater

hathater

Worturtle runs kind of like shuckle, crap hp, but great defence
  9. Agonist

is a Forum Moderator

and again, has no reason to be used over Blastoise.
  10. hathater

hathater

Ya, that is true. Just trying to defend the op.
  11. Pokemondothon

Pokemondothon

Hmm... I guess even with the significant boost in (Sp.) Defense that Wartortle gets, Blastoise's higher overall stats make it more usable in the end - especially since it gets the jump on most Hitmontop variants, which is crucial.
    Thanks for your input.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)