Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

TTar is my 2nd Wincon, Sheer Force is for Stone Edge, even if I dont use it that much :/
SD is my boosting move, Sucker Punch is Stab-Prio and Knock Off is just an amazing Stab move against bulky Teams.
Congrats on the peak! One thing I wanted to point out about the TTar set is that Stone Edge doesn't actually get boosted by Sheer Force because high crit rates of moves are considered primary effects instead of secondary effects and thus aren't affected by Sheer Force. Instead you'll want to use Rock Slide, which is just as powerful as Stone Edge after the Sheer Force boost and is both more accurate and gets rid of the Life Orb recoil. In addition, Sheer Force Crunch is slightly stronger than Knock Off against a target that still has its item and much stronger against a target that doesn't, but it's up to you which move you'd rather use since Knock Off's item-removing effect is still very useful.

Thanks for the idea to use Taunt with Gengar, by the way! Gengar is only capable of 3HKOing Chansey with Focus Blast, so Taunt goes a long way to both prevent Chansey from recovering if Gengar is forced into having to break it and accounting for the margin of error that is Focus Blast's shaky accuracy.

Congrats on the peak! One thing I wanted to point out about the TTar set is that Stone Edge doesn't actually get boosted by Sheer Force because high crit rates of moves are considered primary effects instead of secondary effects and thus aren't affected by Sheer Force. Instead you'll want to use Rock Slide, which is just as powerful as Stone Edge after the Sheer Force boost and is both more accurate and gets rid of the Life Orb recoil. In addition, Sheer Force Crunch is slightly stronger than Knock Off against a target that still has its item and much stronger against a target that doesn't, but it's up to you which move you'd rather use since Knock Off's item-removing effect is still very useful.

Thanks for the idea to use Taunt with Gengar, by the way! Gengar is only capable of 3HKOing Chansey with Focus Blast, so Taunt goes a long way to both prevent Chansey from recovering if Gengar is forced into having to break it and accounting for the margin of error that is Focus Blast's shaky accuracy.
Thanks for the Rock Slide tip, tbh I didn't noticed that but I'll change it! :)
I'll try Crunch > Knock Off too.

It won't let me lead with Volcanion; it gives me the like volcanion is only obtainable as an event mesage. It's not like shiny or anything, am I just dumb

It won't let me lead with Volcanion; it gives me the like volcanion is only obtainable as an event mesage. It's not like shiny or anything, am I just dumb
the problem is that your followers are shiny, and since they keep the illegialities of the leader, they cant be shiny. (EDIT: I assume the followers are shiny, that's the only thing I can think of.)

Capfoo

formerly Captain Combusken
So uh, can someone pls explain to me why Chansey/Blissey on Mew teams is ok? Transform Chansey just destroyed me. 250/255 HP on a 'mon without a defense stat made of paper is just not cool at all.

So uh, can someone pls explain to me why Chansey/Blissey on Mew teams is ok? Transform Chansey just destroyed me. 250/255 HP on a 'mon without a defense stat made of paper is just not cool at all.
It takes a turn to set up that Transform. Be more careful about setting up with things that can't KO Chansey, be aware that the pink blob can transform into what you have out, and be aware of anything on your team that can sweep you with that bulk. You'll be fine.

Since we are sharing sample teams here's a pretty basic Lucario team that I've been doing successful with.
Pros and cons of Lucario as leader.

Pros:
  • Movepool gives good coverage which gives pretty good diversity for offensive pokemon
  • Can hit hard from physical and special side. Great for offensive Pokemon.
  • EXTREMESPEED+ sword dance. Great for -ate users.
  • Boosting +2 on all stats but Speed. Looking at you Mega Slowbro for bulky win con.
  • Lucario is not a useless leader. In fact can be a great asset to the team.
Cons:
  • No hazards, nor hazard control
  • Not much in terms of defensive movepool. Leaves teams very one dimensional to hyper offense.
  • No high base power special moves.

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Extreme Speed

Keldeo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Facade

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

Cresselia @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Toxic/filler
- Me First/filler
- Circle Throw/filler
[Hide/]

I'm having fun with a Togekiss lead right now. It has access to a surprisingly deep movepool along with two nice abilities in Serene Grace and Hustle. While I can't set up rocks, at least I have access to Defog to get rid of opposing hazards and screens. Any Pokemon I use also gets Nasty Plot, Thunder Wave, Roost, Heal Bell, Extreme Speed, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Dazzling Gleam, Drain Punch, and much more.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Here's one teammate that I'm absolutely loving to use with a Togekiss lead. Mega Blastoise benefits so much from Togekiss's repertoire. Togekiss miraculously knows how to use Water Pulse, meaning Mega Blastoise not only gets STAB but it works in tandem with its Mega Launcher ability post-mega. Nasty Plot just drives up the power of its Mega Launcher-boosted attacks to sky-high levels, and Roost finally gives Mega Blastoise a form of reliable recovery. Use this with partners that can spread paralysis (Togekiss passes on both T-Wave and Serene Grace Body Slam) and this thing will sweep teams. If sweeping isn't possible, this thing WILL punch holes in to mons that don't resist its attacks. Can't think of a good EV spread atm, but it probably doesn't need max SpA in all honesty.

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Serene Grace/Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Extreme Speed
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Snorlax also gets a nice boost with a Togekiss lead. The Ability boils down to whether or not you want a 60% chance to paralyze something with Body Slam or if you want extra power in to your attacks but with the risk of a miss. I personally like to just spam Body Slam for the para chance so I stick to Serene Grace. Choice Band lets it hit hard enough anyway, but Hustle isn't a bad option by any means. STAB Extremespeed lets it pick off weakened targets before they can hit it (I'd love to see Snorlax use this move in the anime). Drain Punch lets it hit Rock/Steel types while Zen Headbutt is for Gengar.

So I've been tinkering with a sand team using Tyranitar as the leader and figure I'd share it here in case anyone is bored.
TTar is a really good lead if you build right around him. Great physical and special movepool, access to utility/status moves (including taunt, sub, SR, TWave, toxic, and roar), access to DDance, and allowing almost constant Sand which if abused can be deadly. BTW constant Sand Stream is a direct counter to any random Sun or Rain team you might run into if that isn't obvious.

My team is built kind of haphazardly, so I encourage anyone to adapt it to their needs. TTar as a leader allows you a lot of flexibility in the Mega slot. I've experimented with everything from DDance MegaChomp (Sand stream Pre-mega guarantees the Sand Force boost on top of a potential DDance), Offensive Mega Scizor (Movepool isnt amazing but Iron Head, EQ, and Technician boosted P-U-P and Pursuit is very nice), to finally going with Uproar Mega Gardevoir since my team was seriously missing a special attacking threat outside of Volcanion.

Tyranitar brings a bunch of very good things to a team, but severely lacks in a few roles making it far from the perfect Leader. You have no way of removing hazards so a Hazard stacking team is almost a guaranteed loss (My solution to this was running multiple Taunt users, but alternatively you could try out a Magic Bounce mega). Along with this, you have no reliable recovery aside from Rest and no priority at all. The lack of recovery is a major problem as stall teams can really wear you down if you can't find an opportunity to setup and sweep. Lack of priority blows, but I've found Scarf TTar is a more than reliable revenge killer since a lot of leaders lack priority as well.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
- Uproar
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power
- Taunt

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Five PP is not scarry at all. You can easly take it down if you can PP stall well, and Subs is imune to it

So I've been tinkering with a sand team using Tyranitar as the leader and figure I'd share it here in case anyone is bored.
TTar is a really good lead if you build right around him. Great physical and special movepool, access to utility/status moves (including taunt, sub, SR, TWave, toxic, and roar), access to DDance, and allowing almost constant Sand which if abused can be deadly. BTW constant Sand Stream is a direct counter to any random Sun or Rain team you might run into if that isn't obvious.

My team is built kind of haphazardly, so I encourage anyone to adapt it to their needs. TTar as a leader allows you a lot of flexibility in the Mega slot. I've experimented with everything from DDance MegaChomp (Sand stream Pre-mega guarantees the Sand Force boost on top of a potential DDance), Offensive Mega Scizor (Movepool isnt amazing but Iron Head, EQ, and Technician boosted P-U-P and Pursuit is very nice), to finally going with Uproar Mega Gardevoir since my team was seriously missing a special attacking threat outside of Volcanion.

Tyranitar brings a bunch of very good things to a team, but severely lacks in a few roles making it far from the perfect Leader. You have no way of removing hazards so a Hazard stacking team is almost a guaranteed loss (My solution to this was running multiple Taunt users, but alternatively you could try out a Magic Bounce mega). Along with this, you have no reliable recovery aside from Rest and no priority at all. The lack of recovery is a major problem as stall teams can really wear you down if you can't find an opportunity to setup and sweep. Lack of priority blows, but I've found Scarf TTar is a more than reliable revenge killer since a lot of leaders lack priority as well.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
- Uproar
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power
- Taunt
I've been playing around a T-Tar lead as well, and if you're looking for more special attackers, Keldeo works phenomenally well with T-Tar. It still gets dual STAB with Surf and Focus Blast as well as giving it BoltBeam coverage.

I've also been playing around with a Crobat sash lead. Unnerve so it doesn't break its own sash, T-Wave, Rocks, Taunt and Aerial Ace for STAB. Works really well since it's a fast Taunt/T-Wave user with a base 130 speed stat.

As with using T-Tar itself, I personally like Banded T-Tar more since it's a more effective wallbreaker/Pursuiter and like to run Scarf Excadrill since it can revenge kill Fairies (it's also waaaaaaay faster than ScarfTar, which can't outspeed anything past base 115 speed...). Banded T-Tar hits so stupidly hard. I believe it 2HKOs Quag with Crunch, if I'm not mistaken. If you're looking for something to beat stall, use Choice Band T-Tar, my friend.

From my experience using T-Tar as my lead, the issues it has are a lack of sturdy water resists that benefit from its movepool. I mean, you CAN run a Grass type, but it has no Grass type attacks outside Hidden Power...

Last edited:
Listing top five or ten Followers under each leader could be a way atound that. Mind you, that's not only debateably subjective but there's shit like Mew who can lead for virtually any team so that REALLY calls into question what's "best".

I think it could be possible to rank followers and leaders separately. While Mew can lead for any team, something like Kyurem-B can follow for any team, or at least a whole lot of teams, so maybe it could look something like

S-Rank

Mew (Leader)
Dragonite (Leader)
Kyurem-B (Follower)

And work down from there. Or rank them on a separate scale altogether. Or just don't rank Followers, that's fine too. The Leaders are the important part.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
I think it's important to rank both. Followers would be ranked highly if they were either splashable on a lot of teams, or extremely effective at what they did. Leaders should be ranked based on effectiveness and versatility.
(essentially very similar to the standard VR criteria, but modified to suit the nature of this meta)

I just started playing this ladder earlier this morning, and looked at the mons that were available as leaders, and I made this team from scratch. It currently has gotten me all the way to 32 on the ladder, with a rating of 1324, just from today.

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Toxic

Carracosta is my lead. I usually will lead off with Carracosta, get rocks off, then either sack it off or toxic something. Aqua Jet is there for stab, as if I go for rocks then I usually am brought down to my sturdy, and am too slow to go for a move like Waterfall. Knock off is also here for more utility if needed, but usually I just go for toxic.

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

This thing is an absolute monster. Just go for shell smash, then mega evolve and just kill everything. Earthquake is there for stab, and Rock Slide is there because it is another hard hitting physical move that handles flying types. I decided to give it Ice Beam as well, as most people during practice have brought in Lando-T against this for some reason, so it's just an easy way to kill off Lando, or even the occasional Gliscor.

Excadrill @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Excadrill is another of the 5 shell smash sweepers on this team. Excadrill is mainly here for a backup incase Garchomp or Lando-T die, and also is great for any fairies that are brought. Excadrill also has Stone Edge as a way to really hit hard against flying types that try to switch in on Excadrill predicting an Earthquake.

Keldeo @ White Herb
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Focus Blast
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Keldeo is my special shell smash sweeper. I usually bring in Keldeo against dragons, and go for ice beam. I rarely use shell smash on Keldeo, but it is there incase if i get the chance against a mon like Blissey or Gliscor, who would just go for Toxic.

Landorus-Therian @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Looking at the mons above, I have none that can really take on an earthquake, especially from a Lando-T. So I figured whynot put on Lando-T, as with stab Earthquake, once it gets setup with shell smash not many mons can really take a hit (from my experiences). Rock slide is there for flying types, and Knock off is there for physically defensive walls like Cresselia.

Gyarados (M) @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash
- Zen Headbutt

And finally, we have Gyarados. Gyarados is mostly the physical version of Keldeo, with the immuntiy to Earthquake. As my team doesn't really mind electric types, Gyarados is nice for setting up with shell smash late game, then with Waterfall, Earthquake, and Zen Headbutt just attacking what is left. Zen Headbutt was added as my team didn't really handle Keldeo well during practice, but now once setup Keldeo doesn't stand a chance.

Some Threats:

Mega Scizor has proven to wall this team a decent amount. It can still be taken care of through Keldeo and Landorus, but usually it can easily play around the team and pull through.

Fake out users with protean prove to be a very big threat to this team, as they break the sturdy, and most of them also have other priority like sucker punch, and from pokemon like Kyurem-B, most of the team can't take it very well.

If anyone has any tips to help improve this team that would be great.

Attachments

I was thinking both Leaders and followers get their own viability rankings to distinguish and avoid confusion. Im working on a leader viability rankings @tm.
I would think that would be for the best. The followers here are much more important than, say, in GaF. That being said, I think the leaders one is probably more important, maybe with some lists of followers.
S Rank
Clefable (Metagross-Mega, Heatran, Diancie-Mega, Volcarona, Azelf)

A+ Rank
Kecleon (Kyurem-Black, Salamence, Azelf, Landorus-T, Latios, Alakazam)
Mew (anything (Pidgeot-mega, Heatran))
Nidoking (Gengar, Latios, Thundurus)
Dragonite (Altaria-Mega, Pinsir-Mega, Pidgeot-Mega, Glalie-Mega, Salamence, Garchomp, Heatran)

A Rank
Arcanine (Aggron, Heatran, Pangoro)
Nidoqueen (Gengar, Latios, Thundurus)
Sableye (Cresselia, chansey, suicune)

A- Rank
Zoroark (Bisharp, Houndoom-Mega, GengR, Hoopa-C)
Breloom (cresselia, terrakion, hippowdon, blissey, snorlax, suicune, Regirock)

B+ Rank
Dragalge (Latios, Latias, Gengar, keldeo, Starmie, thundurus, Hoopa-C)
Mawile (Gengar, heatran, Metagross, Metagross-mega)
Slowbro
Slowking

B Rank
Gliscor
Jirachi
Lucario
Manaphy

B- rank
Noivern
Swoobat
Sylveon
Xatu
Corsola
Klefki

Also, could you please add gale wings to the listed bans, and remove the talonflame sample teams?

Honestly, I've found that I tend to come back to the overall same set of followers across myriad teams -and I don't just mean Kyurem-Black or stall staples like Chansey/Blissey. Like, Gengar is a good-to-great follower on basically any Leader that provides Shadow Ball and has an even marginally acceptable Special/Status movepool. It's at its best with leaders like Nidoking (Sheer Force Life Orb Focus Blast is an easy 2HKO on Chansey!) but it's basically only not a solid follower if the leader lacks Shadow Ball. A lot of the followers are like that -if a leader meets some fairly basic, minimal conditions, the follower is a good choice, and may be a great choice.

Contrary to my expectations, I haven't found it to be the case that more marginal potential followers really shine with extremely specific leaders while being terrible on most any other leader. Megas are the main exception here, where their own viability on a leader varies hugely based less on "Do you have STABs/recovery for stallmons/other simple requirements" and more on "What all does the team need to patch that the leader patches?" ie Mega Altaria and Mega Gardevoir can be big boons to leaders that lack native Fairy coverage and would really like Fairy coverage to beat specific foes that otherwise trouble their movepool, Mega Sableye is a big help to any stall-y leader that lacks actual hazard removal, Mega Altaria/Pinsir/Glalie are incredibly at ruining a number of offense teams if the leader has Extreme Speed...

But mostly I think it actually kind of works to rank followers in a general sense, rather than providing their ranking as a sub-heading of specific leaders.

I just started playing this ladder earlier this morning, and looked at the mons that were available as leaders, and I made this team from scratch. It currently has gotten me all the way to 32 on the ladder, with a rating of 1324, just from today.

Carracosta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Toxic

Carracosta is my lead. I usually will lead off with Carracosta, get rocks off, then either sack it off or toxic something. Aqua Jet is there for stab, as if I go for rocks then I usually am brought down to my sturdy, and am too slow to go for a move like Waterfall. Knock off is also here for more utility if needed, but usually I just go for toxic.
I approve of treating Carracosta as a suicide lead. It's a good role for it to fill, given that it's a bit underwhelming as a Pokemon and is really on the team as a leader.

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam

This thing is an absolute monster. Just go for shell smash, then mega evolve and just kill everything. Earthquake is there for stab, and Rock Slide is there because it is another hard hitting physical move that handles flying types. I decided to give it Ice Beam as well, as most people during practice have brought in Lando-T against this for some reason, so it's just an easy way to kill off Lando, or even the occasional Gliscor.
I'd invest in bulk (HP) rather than Speed. Or Special Attack to bolster Ice Beam, maybe.

With no investment and no nature boost, after a Shell Smash Mega Garchomp will outspeed fully invested +Speed Nature Pokemon all the way up to base 150 Speed. Fast Scarves (eg Keldeo) are basically the only reason to consider investing in Speed, and you still don't need max Speed investment to beat the most typical fast Scarves. Investing in bulk would make it less susceptible to priority revengers.

Excadrill @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Excadrill is another of the 5 shell smash sweepers on this team. Excadrill is mainly here for a backup incase Garchomp or Lando-T die, and also is great for any fairies that are brought. Excadrill also has Stone Edge as a way to really hit hard against flying types that try to switch in on Excadrill predicting an Earthquake.
Excadrill is slower than Mega Garchomp, so it's more likely to make sense to invest in Speed, but I would again consider shifting some investment away from Speed.

Landorus-Therian @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off

Looking at the mons above, I have none that can really take on an earthquake, especially from a Lando-T. So I figured whynot put on Lando-T, as with stab Earthquake, once it gets setup with shell smash not many mons can really take a hit (from my experiences). Rock slide is there for flying types, and Knock off is there for physically defensive walls like Cresselia.
Again, Landorus-Therian is only a little slower than Mega Garchomp, so investing in Speed is, again, often going to be redundant.

Gyarados (M) @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash
- Zen Headbutt

And finally, we have Gyarados. Gyarados is mostly the physical version of Keldeo, with the immuntiy to Earthquake. As my team doesn't really mind electric types, Gyarados is nice for setting up with shell smash late game, then with Waterfall, Earthquake, and Zen Headbutt just attacking what is left. Zen Headbutt was added as my team didn't really handle Keldeo well during practice, but now once setup Keldeo doesn't stand a chance.
Something to keep in mind is it might make more sense to run Mega Gyarados than Mega Garchomp, probably replace Zen Headbutt for Knock Off if you do -that way you can beat Clefable/Quagsire/Swoobat teams. (Bibarel lacks recovery, so it's not so hot at running Unaware walls)

Fake out users with protean prove to be a very big threat to this team, as they break the sturdy, and most of them also have other priority like sucker punch, and from pokemon like Kyurem-B, most of the team can't take it very well.
I'll note that this is part of why I'm recommending bulk over Speed as investment. With like half the team picking up bulk at essentially no sacrifice, priority is less likely to break a 'mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)