SM Ubers Forever Walking

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Introduction
Hi everyone. My name is CKW and I'm mainly an analysis writer for the Ubers tier. I've been playing Pokemon for some time now but only recently have I started to get seriously into the game. After playing a fair bit with this team, I've decided to RMT this and share it with everyone. From initial looks, anyone who has played the tier can tell this is a Psychic Terrain team that uses Deoxys-A as the main abuser. After observing and playing many games with this kind of offensive teams, I decided to try to build a team like that myself and here's what I've come up with! I wrote this late night so please excuse my poor English!

Teambuilding Process

The team is built around the core of Tapu Lele + Deoxys-A. Deoxys-Attack is a monster when under Psychic Terrain since very few Pokemon can outspeed it naturally and only Choice Scarfers like Xerneas and Yveltal can stop it. Tapu Lele is obviously there to set up Psychic Terrain and also weaken checks to Deoxys-Attack with Nature's Madness.

Picking this Pokemon as a teammate might sound confusing at first but do allow me to explain! Most kinda of Psychic Terrain teams end up being fairly weak to faster Psychic-types like Mega Mewtwo Y and Choice Scarf Lunala. Yveltal might be a good teammate as well but it gets crippled a lot because of Psychic Terrain and gets 2HKOed by ice Beam. To properly check those two Pokemon, Alolan Muk was added to the team. Its ability to Pursuit trap these threats is almost priceless, thus, making it a great teammate.

Next up, I needed a Stealth Rock setter and also a check to Xerneas. Primal Groudon performs both roles pretty well while also checking Steel-types like Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Magearna as well as Specially Defensive Pokemon like Primal Kyogre and Blissey which are all annoying for the core of Deoxys-A and Tapu Lele to deal with.

So far, there are still a few things i need. Mega Salamence is my Ground immunity and also a good check to Primal Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Lucario and the lot, thanks to Intimidate and its great natural bulk. Mega Salamence is also a great offensive partner to Primal Groudon and Deoxys-A as its able to come in mid-to-late game and sweep with the boost from Dragon Dance once its checks have been weakened.
(
)

Finally, to end it off, Arceus-Ground is added to the team and is my backup sweeper. With Swords Dance and EdgeQuake coverage, it's able to hit the majority of the metagame and check threats like Ho-Oh, Mega Lucario, Primal Groudon, Yveltal, and Dialga.

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Psychic

- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness / Aromatherapy

Tapu Lele is my Terrain setter and holds a Terrain Extender to increase the number of turns Psychic Terrain is active. Fairy+Psychic STAB lets Tapu Lele hit Pokemon like Rayquaza, Zygarde-C, Yveltal, Arceus-Dark, Tyranitar, Giratina-O, as well as OHKO Mega Sableye; one of the best defensive check to Deoxys-A. Taunt is good against bulkier teams as it lets u shut down bulkier Pokemon like Lugia and Clefable by preventing them from healing up. Nature's Madness removes 50% health from common switchins like Magearna, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn which helps Deoxys-A a lot for a late-game sweep. I've always used Nature's Madness but Aromatherapy can also be run to improve matchup versus stall teams.

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost

- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Psychic

Deoxys-A is a massive offensive threat just by itself. Now picture this Pokemon in Psychic Terrain; its an absolute monster. Being immune to priority moves when under Psychic Terrain helps this Pokemon a lot. Psycho Boost might as well be considered a nuke coming out of this Pokemon as its able to OHKO anything that is neutral to Psychic, other than Blissey and Chansey. Ice Beam allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Yveltal while also OHKOing Zygarde-C outside of Psychic Terrain. Superpower on Deoxys-A allows it to deal great damage Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Magearna, as well as OHKO Blissey. Psychic is used as the last move so that Deoxys-A can abuse Psychic Terrain without needing to drop its Special Attack by 2 stages by using Psycho Boost. The great coverage Deoxys-A allows it to be a great late game cleaner.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Clear Smog

- Shadow Sneak
Alolan Muk has a really important role of checking opposing Psychic-type Pokemon for the team. Being able to Pursuit-trap and KO Lunala, Mega Mewtwo Y, Deoxys-A, and Mega Gengar is almost priceless and makes it a great teammate. Knock Off is a great Dark-type STAB that can knock off Life Orb from Yveltal, Power Herb from Xerneas, and Leftovers from Pokemon like Ferrorthorn to name a few. Clear Smog allows Alolan Muk to check Ingrain Zeomancy Xerneas while also preventing it from being setup fodder to setup sweepers like Extreme Killer Arceus, Dual Dance Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, and Calm Mind Arceus-Ground. Despite being in a Psychic Terrain team, Shadow Sneak can still come in handy when out of the Terrain.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail
Primal Groudon provides the team Stealth Rock support, a check to Steel-types like Celesteela and Ferrothorn as well as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas, making it a great teammate for Deoxys-A. STAB Precipice Blades hits very hard and 2HKOes the majority of the metagame. Dragon Tail allows Primal Groudon to phaze out common switches like Giratina-O, Zygarde, Mega Salamence, and Arceus-Ground. It's often hard to justify not using this Pokemon since it's such as great role compressor.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Refresh
Mega Salamence is one of my main setup sweepers. It's also my Primal Groudon switchin as well as my only Ground immunity. The Speed EVs allows it to outspeed maximum speed base 100s. Nothing too out of the norm over here except for Refresh. Refresh allows this Salamence to setup on Celesteela and beat it 1v1 while also making it a decent switch in for Ho-Oh I usually mind myself either wallbreaker the opposing team with Mega Salamence then clean with Deoxys-A or vice versa.

Arceus-Ground @ Groundium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover
Swords Dance Arceus with Techtonic Rage is a great final addition to the team. Not only can it check Primal Groudon and Mega Lucario, this Pokemon can also setup fairly easily thanks to Recover and threaten the opposing team with EdgeQuake coverage that hits almost the entire Ubers metagame for supereffective damage, making this a great teammate to end off the team. +2 Techtonic Rage is able to OHKO Zygarde from 100%.

Conclusion
So that's basically my version of Tapu Lele Offense. If there is anything that I'm currently debating on, then it would be whether or if I should run Calm Mind Arceus-Ground. I hope you enjoyed reading my RMT. Feel free to make any recommendations, feedbacks are highly appreciated. This may only be my 2nd RMT but do expect one more to come within the next few weeks!
Here's the team!

Giroud (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail

Bicho raro (Tapu Lele) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Neutrino (Deoxys-Attack) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Psychic

Novelty Glide (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Refresh

Easifat Ramlia (Arceus-Ground) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Multitype
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover

Gains (Muk-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Clear Smog
- Shadow Sneak

This replay showcases the team pretty well. (Used Psychium Z and Earth Plate over LO and Groundium Z in this)

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The overall structure of this team is solid. There's attention given to having counter play against things such as opposing Deo-A, Scarf Lunala, and RP P Don, which is a mon that a lot of lesser Lele teams do not adequately cover. While this team does have options to combat pretty much every major threat, there are some common offense combinations that I'm concerned with.

The first is a double dance P Don paired with Geo Xern, Scarf Yveltal, or Scarf Lunala. When set up P Don is in against Muk you have two real options: deny set up with Clear Smog but risk sacking Muk or switch to Arceus-Ground / Mega Mence and risk the P Don setting up. For either choice you make, it's easy for the opposing offense to make headway for a win, either by forcing the sack of Muk so that their Xern / Yveltal / Luna becomes the win con or by losing to a +1 / +2 P Don. The origin of this weakness comes from using Muk on a HO team. While it certainly has multiple roles to play for this team, the unfortunate side effect is that even with its utility moves such as Clear Smog, it can end up giving the momentum to the opposing offense and putting you at a horrible disadvantage.

The greatest singular common offensive threats to this team are probably Primal-Kyogre, Arceus-Ground, and Yveltal. The team's counter play to a P Ogre against a P Don is to sack something. The team's counter play against a P Ogre against Arc Ground / Mence / Muk is to sack that mon, or allow chip on P Don, which depending on your opponent's team, could be unacceptable. Against a SD E Speed Arc Ground you don't really have a good check, which is exemplified in the replay you provided. If it tries to setup against Muk you have the same problem illustrated above against set up P Don. If it tries to setup against your Arc Ground and you lose the speed tie, which is what happened in the replay, you will probably lose. In reality the Arc Ground would have E Speeded your Deo-A, and now you have to go Mence (but loses to SE + ES) or sack Lele too. Against this mon in such a situation you may end up sacking more than half your team, or you just lose outright if you fail to predict that it has E Speed. The matchup against CM Arc Ground isn't very good either, which threatens multiple members and which you have no real switch-in to.

Although the team has a Dark resist in Muk, the reality is that Muk isn't actually doing much to Yveltal. Muk is going to care about getting chipped a lot more than Yveltal does, because Muk has to rely on its bulk to check Xern, Deo-A, etc. Other than getting Knocked Off or Poison Touched, the Yveltal doesn't really lose anything by staying in and just clicking Oblivion Wing. Muk has no recovery, and Yveltal can sit there and chill for awhile as its being supplied HP from Oblivion and you don't have a resist to switch to. It can even Knock Off your AV if it wants. Yveltal is frequently paired with Xern, which again compounds the issue as Muk is the primary defense against Geo Xern.

If you did want to do a structure adjustment, my advice would probably be to change Muk to a different Dark resist, one that doesn't give up so much momentum to opposing HOs. After this change, other touch ups will likely be required though. Ttar, Arceus-Dark, and Yveltal are all mons I've used with Tapu Lele and Deo-A on offense, but these have their own kinks associated with them. For example, Yveltal may not be usable alongside Mega Salamence and Arceus-Dark means you cannot use Arceus-Ground, thus you have to be more stringent about your set up P Don cover.

As for detailing this squad, I probs wouldn't use Psy Z on Deo-A. I mention this because it was used in your replay, and I don't really think it's a good fit. Deo-A is a mon that teams tend to check either by revenging, or by predicting and throwing in a reasonable resist / immune. Psy Z does not really improve the matchup against either while LO is able to improve the second. LO means you have additional power beyond one use of Psycho, it means you can hit harder with your coverage moves (important for getting around those chipped Psy resists), and it allows you to use a Z move on a mon better suited for a Z move.

If you ever find yourself not using Recover on Arceus-Ground (offense doesn't give many ops, and defensive teams will beat you with Tox, not just chip) then Tailwind is a tech I've used that can have good utility. On a team that doesn't have options for priority as a revenging method or as a wincon, a clutch Tailwind can potentially offer both. It even gives additional options when having to combat some of the weaknesses I noted above. Scarf Tapu Lele is also a way this team can speed things up and provide additional options against the weaknesses I mentioned. The use of Refresh on Mence seems to be pretty much exclusive to passive Tox mons and doesn't really do all that much to better your chances against switching into Ho-Oh as Facade already does that. I think that you should pick between using Refresh on Mence or Aroma on Tapu Lele, and I'll also throw out that a move such as Sub can potentially accomplish the same thing you want vs. Celesteela while having other moments of utility.

That's pretty much my breakdown of this team and the structure + detail work that could be done to increase ops vs. the things I noted. Consistently performing Lele teams are difficult to build, gl.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The overall structure of this team is solid. There's attention given to having counter play against things such as opposing Deo-A, Scarf Lunala, and RP P Don, which is a mon that a lot of lesser Lele teams do not adequately cover. While this team does have options to combat pretty much every major threat, there are some common offense combinations that I'm concerned with.

The first is a double dance P Don paired with Geo Xern, Scarf Yveltal, or Scarf Lunala. When set up P Don is in against Muk you have two real options: deny set up with Clear Smog but risk sacking Muk or switch to Arceus-Ground / Mega Mence and risk the P Don setting up. For either choice you make, it's easy for the opposing offense to make headway for a win, either by forcing the sack of Muk so that their Xern / Yveltal / Luna becomes the win con or by losing to a +1 / +2 P Don. The origin of this weakness comes from using Muk on a HO team. While it certainly has multiple roles to play for this team, the unfortunate side effect is that even with its utility moves such as Clear Smog, it can end up giving the momentum to the opposing offense and putting you at a horrible disadvantage.

The greatest singular common offensive threats to this team are probably Primal-Kyogre, Arceus-Ground, and Yveltal. The team's counter play to a P Ogre against a P Don is to sack something. The team's counter play against a P Ogre against Arc Ground / Mence / Muk is to sack that mon, or allow chip on P Don, which depending on your opponent's team, could be unacceptable. Against a SD E Speed Arc Ground you don't really have a good check, which is exemplified in the replay you provided. If it tries to setup against Muk you have the same problem illustrated above against set up P Don. If it tries to setup against your Arc Ground and you lose the speed tie, which is what happened in the replay, you will probably lose. In reality the Arc Ground would have E Speeded your Deo-A, and now you have to go Mence (but loses to SE + ES) or sack Lele too. Against this mon in such a situation you may end up sacking more than half your team, or you just lose outright if you fail to predict that it has E Speed. The matchup against CM Arc Ground isn't very good either, which threatens multiple members and which you have no real switch-in to.

Although the team has a Dark resist in Muk, the reality is that Muk isn't actually doing much to Yveltal. Muk is going to care about getting chipped a lot more than Yveltal does, because Muk has to rely on its bulk to check Xern, Deo-A, etc. Other than getting Knocked Off or Poison Touched, the Yveltal doesn't really lose anything by staying in and just clicking Oblivion Wing. Muk has no recovery, and Yveltal can sit there and chill for awhile as its being supplied HP from Oblivion and you don't have a resist to switch to. It can even Knock Off your AV if it wants. Yveltal is frequently paired with Xern, which again compounds the issue as Muk is the primary defense against Geo Xern.

If you did want to do a structure adjustment, my advice would probably be to change Muk to a different Dark resist, one that doesn't give up so much momentum to opposing HOs. After this change, other touch ups will likely be required though. Ttar, Arceus-Dark, and Yveltal are all mons I've used with Tapu Lele and Deo-A on offense, but these have their own kinks associated with them. For example, Yveltal may not be usable alongside Mega Salamence and Arceus-Dark means you cannot use Arceus-Ground, thus you have to be more stringent about your set up P Don cover.

As for detailing this squad, I probs wouldn't use Psy Z on Deo-A. I mention this because it was used in your replay, and I don't really think it's a good fit. Deo-A is a mon that teams tend to check either by revenging, or by predicting and throwing in a reasonable resist / immune. Psy Z does not really improve the matchup against either while LO is able to improve the second. LO means you have additional power beyond one use of Psycho, it means you can hit harder with your coverage moves (important for getting around those chipped Psy resists), and it allows you to use a Z move on a mon better suited for a Z move.

If you ever find yourself not using Recover on Arceus-Ground (offense doesn't give many ops, and defensive teams will beat you with Tox, not just chip) then Tailwind is a tech I've used that can have good utility. On a team that doesn't have options for priority as a revenging method or as a wincon, a clutch Tailwind can potentially offer both. It even gives additional options when having to combat some of the weaknesses I noted above. Scarf Tapu Lele is also a way this team can speed things up and provide additional options against the weaknesses I mentioned. The use of Refresh on Mence seems to be pretty much exclusive to passive Tox mons and doesn't really do all that much to better your chances against switching into Ho-Oh as Facade already does that. I think that you should pick between using Refresh on Mence or Aroma on Tapu Lele, and I'll also throw out that a move such as Sub can potentially accomplish the same thing you want vs. Celesteela while having other moments of utility.

That's pretty much my breakdown of this team and the structure + detail work that could be done to increase ops vs. the things I noted. Consistently performing Lele teams are difficult to build, gl.
Thanks for your rate man!
The replay that i posted at the end was actually one of the first games I had with this team and I ended up changing the sets abit. While Alolan Muk does a lot for the team, being used on an HO team makes it extremely hard to prevent setups since its such a momentum drainer and, like you mentioned, I'm either sacking it to stop a sweep or end up becoming setup fodder.
After deciding to try my hand on Lele, it didn't take me long to realise how matchup dependant this kind of teams will be. As I went on patching up holes, I kept creating newer ones and ended up with almost 4 variants with different Dark-types, Arceus forme, and Mega Evolution (even a different Psychic-Terrain abuser in one team). In the end, I found this team more consistent than the others and decided to share it. The recommendations you've made will help this team a lot and I'll definitely end up keeping the changes.
E: Thats why I named it Forever Walking :P

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)