Forget About Us? (Peaked #1) [Gen 5]

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Forget About Us?
(Peaked #1 On PO Ladder)

[Introduction]
This is easily my most successful non-Sunny Day team. I decided to post it to help show people that you don't have to use a weather team to be successful in OU and that 4th Gen OU Pokemon certainly shouldn't be forgotten in the wake of 5th Gen.

[Team Building]

These Pokemon were all chosen together as the original purpose of this team was to use 4th Gen Pokemon that were relatively forgotten but still not out-classed. Garchomp, Weavile, and Bronzong pretty much embody the early 4th Gen metagame and yet they're still far from out-classed in their jobs but, aside from Garchomp, haven't seen much usage at all in 5th Gen.

Rotom-W has always been a reliable Pokemon to take out Weather teams and many, if not all, Steel types and other common Pokemon like Scizor, Roobushin, Burungeru, and Evolution Stone holders. A bit off topic, but I think Rotom-W can fit perfectly on just about any team after using it on a Drought Team before. While a bulky Water is appealing, Specs Rotom has just too much usefulness to pass up on as my Water type.

As soon as I added Rotom-W, I knew I'd need a status absorber as well as something that could handle Nattorei and help Weavile take out Pokemon that are too fast but resist Ice Shard and Gyro Ball. Flame Orb Roobushin fit all those roles perfectly as well as giving me a bulky Fighting type to use.

Gengar was added to help with my lack of Fighting-type resistance. I chose Gengar over other Ghosts for his Speed. Substitute seemed like the best set to run with him. Hidden Power Fire was my first choice, but I later found a move that worked much better.​

[Individual Analysis]

Dirty Diana (Garchomp) (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Everyone knows this thing. Swords Dances and attempts to sweep after all counters are removed. She doesn't have nearly the effect it had 4th Gen with much faster Dragons flying around. but Garchomp is still pretty intimidating even before she comes out of her Pokeball. Since the opponent knows she's looming around, opponents seem to take extra care that their counters to Garchomp don't get KO'd which lets my other Pokemon score free KOs just by predicting what they will switch to when their Garchomp counters are threatened.

Garchomp herself on the other hand is very bland. After she Swords Dances, every opponent knows what to expect. It's always the same 3 moves...but they work.

Cruel Summer (Weavile) (F) @ Choice Band

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Weavile is my counter for a lot of Pokemon. Pursuit pretty much ensures Psychic and Ghost Pokemon that give Roobushin and Gengar trouble will be out of commission. Ice Shard takes care of any faster Dragons for at least over half their HP. Low Kick is for Rock, Steel, and Ice-types that like to switch in on Weavile once they know it's Choiced.

Weavile is really just a trapper and bait in most cases. Anything that likes to switch into Weavile is in for a nasty surprise as Gengar switches in. I really do need Weavile to help clear out Dragons since only Weavile and Bronzong have Ice-type attacks. Lati@s are the main Dragons I worry about as they can do a lot of damage to both Weavile and Bronzong, especially if they're Scarfed.

Blind Guardian (Bronzong) @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
IVs: 2 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis

Don't act like you didn't forget about Bronzong. Just about everyone did at the dawn of Nattorei. Bronzong is still one of the best utilities around. Stealth Rock, Gyro Ball, and Hypnosis let it stop sweepers like Doryuuzu and Randorosu pretty easily, but Hidden Power Ice makes it the Dragon slayer it's know to be.

It can also use Hypnosis to make Nattorei and other Pokemon looking to set-up end up with something completely different. Bronzong can't do much to Water-types unfortunately. Payback is an option, but Gyro Ball is a lot more effective for what I need Bronzong to do.

Rasputin (Roobushin) (M) @ Flame Orb

Trait: Guts
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Def / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Protect

"RA RA RASPUTIN! Lover of the Russian queen! They put some poison into his wine! RA RA RASPUTIN! Russia's greatest love machine! He drank it all and he said 'I'll be fine!'"

And much like the song goes; Roobushin gets poisoned, or in this case burned, in order to multiply his strength at the cost of some HP every turn. Burn with Guts can be considered having 2 and a half Life Orbs while being immune to status for the cost of taking extra Life Orb recoil each turn. This is balanced by Drain Punch, letting him stay alive much longer than he normally would.

Stone Edge has good coverage with Drain Punch. I can't tell you how many times I've predicted a switch and sliced up the switch-in with Stone Edge for a free KO. Payback would probably be a better move to use, but Stone Edge is really my only hope to take down Butterfly Dancer who otherwise can walk all over this team. The Crit Rate is pretty handy as well.

Thriller (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Disable

The best way to think of this set is Tormentran (Torment+Protect Heatran) but better. Gengar sets up a Substitute on a slower Pokemon or a Pokemon that has to switch out, then Disable the move they used to break his Sub. Chances are, Gengar will end up disabling their strongest attack or their only Super Effective attack. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast has unresisted coverage, so always having an effctive attacking option while getting rid of an opponent's attack AND possibly getting a free Substitute out of the deal makes Gengar pretty hard to take down.

Disable cause many switches, so having Stealth Rock up is always great. And the best thing about Gengar is the fact that he's Gengar! Even if Sub+Disable doesn't work, Gengar still has great Sp.Atk, great Speed, and the coverage to make it work. And if worst comes to worst, Weavile covers ALL of Gengar's weaknesses.

Funky Dealer (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Specs Rotom-W is AMAZING! Its coverage is great, has useful typing, a perfect ability, decent speed, and Hydro Pump OHKOs even Pokemon with decent bulk like Scizor and Roobushin. The only Pokemon that can completely shut it down are Gastrodon, Quagsire, and Gamageroge. Even Pokemon that resist Hydro Pump are going to take heavy damage on the switch. Most common defensive switch-ins are made virtually worthless by Trick with a little prediction.

I normally end up Leading with Rotom-W since it's coverage is just so good and it can OHKO most leads; especially Weather Leads. Most people expect defensive Rotom and try to set-up only to be out-sped and KO'd. Hidden Power Fire is almost exclusively for Nattorei as Rotom draws in Nattorei like nothing else. It also helps with Grass types, but if it weren't for Nattorei, I'd probably use HP Ice to help with Dragons.

[In Closing]

Well that's the team. It can handle most things OU can throw at it, from Sand to Rain to Stall to Trick Room. But no team can handle everything, so changing one move can close one weak point and open another. With that said, all suggestions are appreciated.

I've been playing around with things like Deoxys, Murkrow, and Borutorosu since Swift Swimmers are giving me some trouble. It's mainly just Ludicolo. I can take him out, but only after he takes out 2 of my Pokemon since Weavile, Roobushin, and whatever Pokemon he came in on together can take him out with priority and Life Orb damage. I'd love some help on that.

Hope you enjoyed it and thanks for reading.

[Importable]
Dirty Diana (Garchomp) (F) @ Life Orb Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Cruel Summer (Weavile) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Guardian (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis

Rasputin (Roobushin) (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Def / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Thriller (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Disable

Funky Dealer (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Great team, it's a wonder this team has no comments on it? I'm pretty sure we've versed on the ladder, and I was a big fan.

Bronzong is a beast in this metagame, and I like the originality of the team, your the only player I've seen use weavile, not only the individual members but also the unusual movesets. Kind of wondering why you would use a moveslot for protect on Roobushin?

I think you'll find that with the advent of Toxic Spikes and status in general, getting a burn or poison on Roopushin is not very difficult. I highly recommend Bulk Up over protect as one turn of Bulk Up equals the same power as a Guts boost in addition to boosted defense. As a result, Leftovers would be a better item that will highly improve your longevity.

I dont understand the usage of protect on Roobushin. I mean, you lose 12% of your health every time you use it. Wouldnt Bulk Up or Payback work much better?

I dont understand the usage of protect on Roobushin. I mean, you lose 12% of your health every time you use it. Wouldnt Bulk Up or Payback work much better?
It's to ensure an activation on Flame Orb, so it's an free activation + Priority putting the opponent in a tough spot.

I think you take Roopushin's bulk for granted. He's not so frail that he needs to use Protect since this guy forces switches all the time. You're way better off simply attacking with Drain Punch or Bulking Up.

I think you take Roopushin's bulk for granted. He's not so frail that he needs to use Protect since this guy forces switches all the time. You're way better off simply attacking with Drain Punch or Bulking Up.
Protect helps against faster status inducers, so it's pretty viable on Roobushin. I myself have had a lot of success with Burnt Roobushin sweeping a lot of teams. Let me just suggest that you at least CONSIDER Bulk Up over Protect. This allows you to EV your SDef more, take on bulky waters better, and boost your physical defense to take hard hits from physically based revenge killers.

Also, I think you should change your Chomp to a revenge-killing ScarfChomp, and make Specs Rotom your lead as it has the ability to OHKO pretty much all of the popular weather inducing leads. Politoed, Ninetales, Hippo, and TTar are all instantly destroyed.

Just consider it.

I wish you luck with your team.

Very nice work, this is honestly one of the best 5th gen teams I've seen so far. Ulgamoth or whatever its name is is the biggest threat I can see, and he will cause a lot of damage pretty much whenever he comes in.
I'd like to support Bulk Up > Protect first of all. Finding a free turn to activate the Orb on isn't difficult, and Bulk Up is clearly superior apart from that. In addition, this allows you to invest further in SpDef which should make taking on the moth somewhat easier (I said somewhat, e.g., you're still kinda screwed :)

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I've been trying some new things this past week.

Replaced Garchomp with Randorosu:
Randorosu (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Sand Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Hammer Arm

And I replaced Roobushin's Protect with Fling. I'm far from worried about Roobushin's SpDef since he almost always comes in on Physical Attackers and most of his switch-ins are countered by Weavile & Bronzong.
I might use Payback some point down the line, but Bulk Up usually just made me waste a turn like...here's a scenario:

Roobushin comes in on Tyranitar.
Tyranitar switches out to Azelf while I Bulk Up.

Well ****, now I have to switch out and I took 2 turns of Burn and Sandstorm damage for nothing. That's, more often than not, exactly what happens. I never found Bulk Up & GutsOrb ever useful together.

Ludicolo is still the biggest issue I'm facing. I have a few ideas, but I'd really like some of your opinions.

If you wanted to check Ludicolo, I could reccomend dropping weavile's Ice Shard for X-Scizzor. It may seem like a bad Idea, but it's a price to pay for Ludicolo.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Well here's the problem with that. Ludicolo in Rain out-speeds and OHKOs Weavile. All Weavile can do is Ice Shard for a chunk of damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)