Forgotten Moves

Hello. Over the course of my experience on the simulators and wifi battles (mostly watching Youtube battlers), I have considered several moves that are not the norm of competitive battling, but are or seem quite useful anyway. The prefix is OU, but I will mention some UU Pokemon. I apologize if I am using the wrong thread. The moves are the following:

1. Dragon Rush

I really like this move. I am dissatisfied with Outrage's lock and confusion, and Dragon Claw is too weak most of the time. Dragon Rush's accuracy may be offsetting, but it does have flinch, and a Dragon-type Earthquake sounds excellent to me. I would like to use this move more and see it be used, dash the poor accuracy.

Pokemon of note: Dragonite, Salamence and Garchomp

Dragonite
Rash Nature
114 atk/200 sp. atk/194 spe
Dragon Rush
Thunderbolt/Fire Blast
Extremespeed
Superpower

Dragon Rush over Draco Meteor. I never liked the special attack drop. You cannot OHKO Swampert, but at least you're more prepared. Superpower can be swapped for Earthquake.

2. Rock Climb

Machamp has base 100 STAB with assured confusion. Everyone fears him. Rock Climb is almost like Dynamic Punch, with a 30% chance of confusion. Moreover, it has the same base power as Thrash (merely 12 less than Return). A very intriguing move. Again, the accuracy (85) is off-putting, but I really don't mind.

Pokemon of note: Snorlax, Kangaskhan

Snorlax
Careful Nature
252 HP 252 special defense
-Rock Climb
-Crunch/Rest
-Body Slam
-Rock Slide

This works like a traditional Dunsparce set. Paralyze with Body Slam, confuse with Rock Climb, lower defense with Crunch (maybe) and flinch with Rock Slide. Rest is probably better than Crunch.

3. Snatch

I have a war story with Snatch. I once used a Honchkrow (Adamant, 252 Attack/Speed) with Snatch, Thunder-Wave, Drill Peck and Sucker Punch, and brought down a Gyarados with it. When it Dragon Danced predicting a switch, I Snatched it. Then it Taunted, and I Drill Pecked. It Dragon Danced again, followed by a Drill Peck. I finished it with Sucker Punch. Snatch is aweseome (it even takes Substitutes, Gengar). I think it should be used more often.

Pokemon of note: Honchkrow, Hypno

Honchkrow
Adamant
252 atk 252 spe
-Drill Peck
-Sucker Punch
-Thunder Wave
-Snatch

Thunder Wave can be substituted for Heat Wave (that will finish Scizor after you take a Swords Dance). This Honchkrow needs scouting to work.

4. Grudge

This is like Destiny Bond, only it takes away PP instead of a Pokemon. This may seem unappealing at first, but look again. If you are low on health, you will not have to PP stall a troublesome move. The Pokemon is fainting anyway, and you may as well use it for what it can do. To be sure, Grudge would only be filler, but it's mighty useful filler in my book.

Pokemon of note: Ninetales, Banette (Custap Berry, anyone?)

Ninetales
Timid Nature
252 sp. atk 252 spe
-Flamethrower
-Nasty Plot
-Energy Ball/Nasty Plot
-Grudge

You just KO'd a Breloom and a Tyranitar comes in. Tyranitar uses Stone Edge, but not before Ninetales takes all the rest of them away because he is KOd. A Nidoking comes in when you're finished with Cacturne. Nidoking loses all his Earthquakes. Your opponent has been crippled. Let's just say your flier was our of commission, and switching was inconvenient. I like Grudge over HP.

5. Hyper Beam

That's right. Hyper Beam. I think there are at least two Pokemon capable of using this attack well. Think about it: With STAB, this is more powerful than Draco Meteor. It's a destructive move, and it will definitely take out something not called Blissey if used by a high-special attack Normal type. Hyper Beam will always have a special place in my heart.

Pokemon of note: Porygon-Z, Togekiss

Porygon-Z@Life Orb
Modest natured
Adaptability
252 sp. atk 252 spe
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Hyper Beam

As you can see, Hyper Beam is only there for when Tri Attack is not going to work. You'd have to scout and get rid of things Porygon-Z doesn't like. Then Hyper Beam away. This really must be handled carefully. Like an endgame move. I kind of like the idea.

5. Hyper Beam

That's right. Hyper Beam. I think there are at least two Pokemon capable of using this attack well. Think about it: With STAB, this is more powerful than Draco Meteor. It's a destructive move, and it will definitely take out something not called Blissey if used by a high-special attack Normal type. Hyper Beam will always have a special place in my heart.

Pokemon of note: Porygon-Z, Togekiss
Togekiss used Hyper Beam!
Foe's Vaporeon fainted!
Foe sent out Lucario!
Lucario used Swords Dance!
Togekiss must recharge!
Lucario used Close Combat!
Togekiss fainted!
You got powned!

or worse

Togekiss used Hyper Beam!
Foe's Vaporeon fainted!
Foe sent out Tyranitar!
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance!
Togekiss must recharge!
Togekiss, come back!
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance!
You got powned!

Huh, I commented the others but... the undo button on smogon sucks ass.

I could see Dragon Rush being useful in some situations, but the accuracy really, really hurts. There's a reason people nicknamed a certain move "Focus Miss" and why the smogcast has once or twice called Stone Edge the worst move in the game.

In addition, this isn't really an article. You should PM a mod and ask them to move it to Stark.

*EDIT* And yes, Snatch is a pretty underrated move.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For this to be an article, you need an introduction and possible sets that the pokemon can run.

Just because a move has horrible distribution does not mean it sucks. Aura Sphere says hi.
Aura Sphere does not have terrible distribution; Togekiss and Lucario can use it to great effect. All OU Snatchers have better things to do. To effectively use Snatch, you need insane predicition skills (assuming you have a good opponent).

3. Snatch

I have a war story with Snatch.
No you don't.

Rock Climb is almost like Dynamic Punch

That's like saying Thunderbolt is almost like Zap Cannon. If Thunderbolt had terrible offensive typing, bad accuracy, and mediocre power.

Aura sphere does have terrible distribution. You know how many pokemon use Miss Blast and would definitely use Aura Sphere if they had it? Gengar, Ampharos, Zoroark, the list goes on. Sure, the pokemon that do learn it are OU or Uber (bar event Raikou, who must have a rash nature), and Mienshao (Kojondo) has a decent special attack but its attack is primarily used. Lucario and Mew are often used physically only, too.

Snatch and Dragon Rush are the only useful ones, though.

Rock Climb vs. DynamicPunch is like (maybe one turn) Bounce vs. Zap Cannon. Rock Climb is very useful on Bibarel though, especially in generation 4.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These are some interesting attacks for the most part, but Hyper Beam is waaay to situational and should only be used as a finisher move; in other words, it's a complete waste of a moveslot on Porygon-Z. You should definitely have more moves than just 5, and explain - in detail - the move's mechanics (type, base power, PP, secondary effect, percentage of said effect taking place) and distribution. Also, get rid of every instance of the word "I" (you can apply that to school/real life, too).

Porygon-z and Togekiss both get Tri Attack, which does more damage over two turns than Hyper Beam.

Yeah, Dragon Rush is completely inferior to Dragon Claw.

Rock Climb<Return, just like all normal attacks<Return. 30% chances aren't great. And that's not even factoring in accuracy, which makes it a 25.5% chance to confuse. Anyway, paralysis from Body Slam is far more useful, because paralysis sticks when they switch.

Grudge is useless. Sorry. Most of the users can Destiny Bond anyway. The ones that can't still get support options that are far more useful, that don't involve killing yourself.

Snatch isn't a bad move, actually. I saw a warstory with Snatch/Magic Coat/Focus Punch/Sucker Punch Kecleon sweep a team, and it was very, very lulzy. Most pokemon have better things to be doing. Clefable CMs/Softboils, Absol SDs, etc.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Grudge is cool on paper as you can get rid of a low PP Choiced attack and gain you a turn of set-up, but is completely outclassed by Memento IMO. It may be the best suicide move in the same unless you're facing a giant wall, for which Destiny Bond is always useful. On that note, there is a reason some of these moves are "forgotten," as they are outclassed and should be otherwise known as "forgettable." As for Dragon Rush, think of it as a worse Stone Edge, as if that can be possible. They are both walled by Steel Types, but at least Stone Edge can hit some non-Dragon-types for Super Effective damage.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think that Hyper Beam shouldn't really be used, as Tri Attack is better in almost every single way (unless the opponent only has one non-ghost Pokemon left). P-Z would most likely run Timid instead of Modest, since 90(?) base Speed isn't too great.

Tomahawk: Because Snatch is so uncommonly seen, it's quite easy to predict stat-up moves if you know that they are stat-up sweepers. The Honchkrow-Gyarados is a good example. Most, if not all, Gyarados have ResTalk or DD. This means that if your opponent is running a more offensive team, then chances are it'll have Dragon Dance and try to set up.

MONSTER, you may want to put up items for some of the other example sets.

IMO, the coolest one up there is Snatch. Most people won't be expecting it, and will set up on the first turn.

ex. Kingdra
Kingdra switches in
Kingdra subs
Honchkrow snatches the sub
Kindra DD's
Honchkrow snatches the DD
what do you do now? Honchkrow now has drill peck + sucker punch + t-wave.

It's only a theoretical situation, but snatch works well if your opponent is unaware of it.

If you use gravity then dragon rush won't miss. It becomes a move stronger than dragon claw, weaker than outrage, full accuracy and a handy chance at flinching. So a gravity user + garchomp...

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These moves aren't really forgotten - they are gimmicks at best. Also the writing isn't what we are looking for in an article on site. Please look at articles on site to see how they should be done.

Also this is more of a smog article.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)