Formula 1 2012

They wanted to promote racing for wins; the 39% increase in points between 2nd and 1st now is much higher than the 25% gain in points it used to be. I like the current system. It's a shame there will probably only be 22 cars next year but I don't think anyone actually believes it will have a drastic impact. The "new three" teams have had a disappointing join to the sport, and have never really looked like improving.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Why does less cars mean a change to the points system? MotoGP this season had between 17~19 riders, and they get points down to 15th. I'm confused as to why F1 didn't just adopt the bike system.

Not like anyone actually cares about HRT anyway. At least Marussia have KERs next season which is a step up from this year. I also read an article about Perez saying he would be disappointed if he didn't win the title next year.... :|

Yeah the different points systems have all been shown to give similar results, so in the end it doesn't really matter. Dunno how they came up with 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1
No no no I mean if they want to assess drivers who have scored the most points in their entire F1 career... had this points system been implemented from the very beginning then Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello would undoubtedly be at the top but it was not meant to be due to the new points system.

They wanted to promote racing for wins; the 39% increase in points between 2nd and 1st now is much higher than the 25% gain in points it used to be. I like the current system. It's a shame there will probably only be 22 cars next year but I don't think anyone actually believes it will have a drastic impact. The "new three" teams have had a disappointing join to the sport, and have never really looked like improving.

Why does less cars mean a change to the points system? MotoGP this season had between 17~19 riders, and they get points down to 15th. I'm confused as to why F1 didn't just adopt the bike system.

Not like anyone actually cares about HRT anyway. At least Marussia have KERs next season which is a step up from this year. I also read an article about Perez saying he would be disappointed if he didn't win the title next year.... :|
The points system should change if the number of cars change; it only makes sense. After all, if there were only 12 cars (OK just a theoretical point of view) they can't give points to 10 of them, can they? Otherwise there is no point (No pun intended) in competing at all; you could just drive conservatively and wait for some retirements which is bound to happen sooner or later and it's likely that you'll still finish in the points.

Yeah, HRT was most disappointing... Marussia had no KERS but despite that they could compete with Caterham on equal footing; next season they'll have KERS and I predict that they will actually score some points and even get ahead of the Torro Rossos.

Perez better not get his head inflated; I really have my reservations about him... does anyone else find it most unfair that he gets to race for McLaren whereas Kobayashi is most likely getting kicked out of F1? It's not that Perez totally wiped the floor with him, heck they are quite evenly matched in terms of points (66 to 60). I predict he will end up just like Kovalainen whom also outperformed his more experienced teammate Fisichella by a small margin only to disappoint in his two seasons with McLaren; he was not only outpaced by Hamilton at that period, he was also outpaced by both Ferraris and BMW Saubers. If Perez can prove me wrong in 2013 then be my guest, but as of now I feel that McLaren could have found a better driver.

Saubers drivers are close, but Kobayashi was screwed over by split stratergies a few times. so yea, he deserves a good drive.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I love Kobayashi! He's great. Such a shame it looks like he won;t have a drive next year :( Everyone in the paddock seems to like him and he is a very talented driver. I mean, podium at Suzuka? Good driver...

By any chance do you guys play either F1 2010, F1 2011 or F1 2012? The graphics are stunning, the physics are pretty good and basically, this game is nigh-flawless. My only gripe with this game is online mode where noobs feel that they can't be overtaken and attempt to ram you into the wall and make you spin when you overtake them -.- The penalty system is also questionable and often hands out penalties for no apparent reason. Apart from that though, the game is pretty good and any would satisfy most F1 fans if they have the commitment.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I had 2010 on 360, and have 2011 and 2012 on PC. 2011 runs like a dog but 2012 runs pretty well. I can't remember how much I've played it but I think I've done one or two of those challenge mode seasons cause they are pretty fun. No idea what I' doing in the career mode I can't really remember... :P

I use a PS3 pad to play it so I don;t have to combat with the keyboard, but I'd use my wheel if I had somewhere to set it up :(

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
By any chance do you guys play either F1 2010, F1 2011 or F1 2012? The graphics are stunning, the physics are pretty good and basically, this game is nigh-flawless. My only gripe with this game is online mode where noobs feel that they can't be overtaken and attempt to ram you into the wall and make you spin when you overtake them -.- The penalty system is also questionable and often hands out penalties for no apparent reason. Apart from that though, the game is pretty good and any would satisfy most F1 fans if they have the commitment.
I have 2010 and 2011, but haven't had a chance to get 2012 yet. I feel you with the penalties, had a 15 sec lead at Budapest, came up to lap Glock, he turns into me, and spins, bam, penalty. I am playing it on 360, don't have a PS3.

I enjoy Career Mode and I try to avoid using Flashbacks (Although it's very tempting) for the sake of being "pure". But I'm not exactly skilled so when Traction Control is off I tend to end up spinning when I try to accelerate from slow corners while in the midst of turning, which is most irritating.

Coronis

Impressively round
I enjoy Career Mode and I try to avoid using Flashbacks (Although it's very tempting) for the sake of being "pure". But I'm not exactly skilled so when Traction Control is off I tend to end up spinning when I try to accelerate from slow corners while in the midst of turning, which is most irritating.
Career mode is very enjoyable. Its great to make a team like Caterham into a winning force. However I just can't keep out of the walls on Monaco and Singapore lap after lap. Its true what they say, Monaco is too dangerous to be on the F1 calendar anymore.

Career mode is very enjoyable. Its great to make a team like Caterham into a winning force. However I just can't keep out of the walls on Monaco and Singapore lap after lap. Its true what they say, Monaco is too dangerous to be on the F1 calendar anymore.
Monaco is the worst circuit ever >_>
In online mode, there will be a crash in the first corner, I can guarantee that.

As in a crash happening or it being a menace to drivers? In the case of the former I was referring to the game and in the case of the latter... I abstain.

Anyways... Raikkonen's teammate has yet to be announced in 2013, what's up with that? Is Lotus seriously giving Grosjean the axe? If they did then the only reason they should is because Kubica is coming back; his performance in the 2010 season was very remarkable, scoring points in 15/19 of the races (And in 3 of those he retired through no fault of his own) and qualifying for the top 10 in all but one race. Assuming he doesn't end up like Massa (Whom after recovering from an injury has been reduced to nothing but a mere slave to Alonso) we could see an excellent duo of Raikkonen/Kubica whom I foresee can even give Red Bull a massive challenge.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Kubica will never come back to F1. He's signed up to do eurorally next season. They say its going to be a full year, but what that is I don't really know. But I would genuinely be very shocked if he came back to F1. He needs a special gear lever and stuff to compete in the rallies so...

He's a World Champion that never was. Truly skilled in all the right ways and blindingly fast. I would be surprised if they dropped Grosjean, over the course of the year he was only slightly behind Raikkonen in terms of absolute pace, and when he was on it he was really really fast. He did take some wonderful podiums as well. Problem was he tended to attack other cars a little too much...

Oh, i saw a hilarious stat yesterday, Maldanado lost 33 places over the course of the season through grid penalties xD

Kubica will never come back to F1. He's signed up to do eurorally next season. They say its going to be a full year, but what that is I don't really know. But I would genuinely be very shocked if he came back to F1. He needs a special gear lever and stuff to compete in the rallies so...

He's a World Champion that never was. Truly skilled in all the right ways and blindingly fast. I would be surprised if they dropped Grosjean, over the course of the year he was only slightly behind Raikkonen in terms of absolute pace, and when he was on it he was really really fast. He did take some wonderful podiums as well. Problem was he tended to attack other cars a little too much...

Oh, i saw a hilarious stat yesterday, Maldanado lost 33 places over the course of the season through grid penalties xD
That's just so sad for Kubica :/ Initially he was not very remarkable in BMW Sauber, being outperformed by his more experienced teammate Heidfeld in 2007 but quickly turned the tables in 2008; if BMW Sauber didn't start preparing for 2009 midway through the season he could have very well won the championship. After the Canadian Grand Prix in 2008 BMW Sauber totally lost pace against McLaren and Ferrari, which is an utter shame. 2009 was a laughable year for BMW Sauber, but 2010 is when Kubica's skills are finally showing, it's very similar to that of Raikkonen in 2012. Maybe for 2014... fingers crossed. Anyways, what's taking Lotus so long to announce Grosjean as Raikkonen's teammate, I'm starting to think that they have axed him in which case that's just harsh. Maldonado... good luck to Williams with him around, I think I'd much rather sign up Susie Wolff if only because I want a female F1 driver for the first time in over three decades :P

As of the time I'm typing this, there are only 4 vacant seats left for 2013... one for Caterham, two for Force India and one for Lotus.

Grosjean and di Resta will most likely be retained by their respective 2012 teams, so that leaves us with only two spots.

Who will partner Pic for Caterham in 2013? It's either Petrov or Kovalainen, some say that it may even be Senna. Though I wouldn't count on Senna since he has absolutely no history with Caterham whatsoever... so it's most likely Petrov or Kovalainen. Kovalainen initially had the edge over Petrov but by mid-season Petrov managed to turn the tables and he was the guy responsible for Caterham's 10th place - and consequently millions of dollars worth of additional prize money - in the Constructors' Championship by overtaking Pic at the closing stages of the race... in addition Kovalainen also said that he refused to be a "pay-driver" so that means his chances have further dwindled and Petrov will most likely retain his seat. Speaking of which, does anybody feel that Pic made it too easy for Petrov to overtake him? Sure, Caterham had KERS and all but Marussia had the pace to match them even without KERS and doesn't it arouse anyone's suspicions that Pic may have intentionally made it easier for his future team? :/

Force India is very heated, with Sutil, Bianchi and maybe Kobayashi fighting over the 2nd seat as di Resta's teammate. Although if by some freak of nature di Resta doesn't get a seat in 2013 then I'm pretty sure Sutil will easily get a seat due to his long history with Force India team principal Vijay Mallya. Bianchi is the promising test driver yearning for a chance to get a race seat and Kobayashi is the unfortunate person whom through a cruel twist of fate lost his race seat at Sauber despite a rather impressive year in 2012 :/ Some feel that with Sutil's criminal record he doesn't deserve a chance but hey, he easily outperformed his teammates in 2010-2011, one of them being di Resta and with his long history with the team that should be more than enough reason for him to get a race seat, but it's just me. Personally, I would like a Sutil/Kobayashi team for Force India, their driving styles are quite similar: Solid, consistent point scorers, even if they don't get on the podium often (or in Sutil's case, at all) at least they have the consistency which some drivers seem to lack (Grosjean, Maldonado, Perez).

Whom would you guys like to be in Force India and Caterham next year?

Coronis

Impressively round
I'd love to see Sutil back at FI. Di Resta has all but been confirmed, and sadly, Kobayashi has come out and saaid he has been unable to secure a drive for next year =/ Really hope Kovalainen will remain in F1, even if it is at Caterham

Force India: Sutil VS Bianchi

Odds are roughly the same for both drivers, each with their own reason to get the 2nd seat in Force India; for Sutil it's his long history with the team and dependability to score points and for Bianchi it's the promising test driver with a bright future ahead.

Caterham: Petrov VS Kovalainen

Petrov has the apparent edge here, being the man responsible for narrowly beating Marussia for 10th place in 2012, as well as turning the tables on Kovalainen in the later part of the season. Kovalainen has a chance, but in my opinion it's far slimmer, he didn't help Caterham in their rivalry with Marussia and in addition he refuses to be a pay-driver unlike Petrov, so it doesn't look so bright for him at the moment.

Would any of you like to race on the F1 2012 video game with me anytime soon? I would love to race against a human opponent; so far when I go online I don't see anyone playing, that or I'm doing something wrong.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I have F1 2012 on PC, would have to get my PC working properly to run it again :P But would be up for it.

In other news: Apparently a lot of people are putting down bets on 6 or 7 teams winning races this season. 8 weeks till the first race of the season :D Winter testing starts next week or the week after as well so we have a lot to look forward to :)

Are we going to start a new thread for 2013 or continue in this thread?

I have F1 2012 on PC, would have to get my PC working properly to run it again :P But would be up for it.

In other news: Apparently a lot of people are putting down bets on 6 or 7 teams winning races this season. 8 weeks till the first race of the season :D Winter testing starts next week or the week after as well so we have a lot to look forward to :)

Are we going to start a new thread for 2013 or continue in this thread?
I'll just keep posting in this thread until the 2013 season starts :P

I really want to know who they have in store for Force India and Caterham already; the suspense is driving me nuts. Di Resta almost certainly has a seat at Force India, now it's just Sutil VS Bianchi... if I were Vijay Mallya I would just kick Di Resta out and put both Sutil and Bianchi on the same team like seriously, Di Resta keeps bemoaning the fact that McLaren and Ferrari 'overlooked' him when his driving isn't exactly spectacular; clearly he doesn't have much loyalty to Force India and after his slump in the second half of 2012, there's even less of a reason to keep him for 2013. Sutil also outperformed Di Resta in 2011 (Along with every single one of his teammates except maybe Fisichella) and in addition, Sutil + Bianchi would make a good combination; Sutil has a long history with the team, being with them ever since they're known as Midland and Spyker so he certainly has the experience to guide Bianchi, the promising test driver who has a potentially bright future ahead of him. Pity that Di Resta is there to prevent such a situation from happening -.- Out he goes by the end of 2013, and then I would really want to see a Sutil + Bianchi combination.

For Caterham I hope they retain Petrov; his salary in 2012 was 400 000 Euros compared to 4 million for Kovalainen, but in the end it was the pay-driver who made the crucial pass that enabled Caterham to regain 10th place in the Constructors Championship instead of the driver who was paid for his perceived driving skills, so Petrov would certainly be the logical choice here, especially after turning the tables on his teammate in the second half of 2012 and proving to be a match for him. I heard Senna is a potential candidate but I really hope he gets kicked out of F1, he is nothing like his uncle -.- Call me prejudiced, but after he took over Heidfeld's Renault seat in the second half of 2011 it just left a bad taste; Heidfeld was clearly the better driver and the fact that his contract got terminated halfway through the season made me absolutely furious. Renault did pay the price for dropping Heidfeld though, they were 4th in the Constructors Championship and ahead of Mercedes initially but by the end of the season they were 5th and had less than half the points Mercedes had, barely holding on to 5th place ahead of Force India who would have almost certainly dropped them to 6th had there been 1 or 2 more races in the calendar. That's what you get for dropping an experienced driver who has knowledge of almost every engine under his belt (BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault), the only thing lacking from Heidfeld was his qualifying pace in 2011. 2007 was his best year, he was pretty much the only driver who could challenge the Ferrari/McLaren deadlock and even break through them on occasion. Pity he never achieved a win, but at least he has 8 2nd places and 5 3rd places.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I really want to know who they have in store for Force India and Caterham already; the suspense is driving me nuts. Di Resta almost certainly has a seat at Force India, now it's just Sutil VS Bianchi... if I were Vijay Mallya I would just kick Di Resta out and put both Sutil and Bianchi on the same team like seriously, Di Resta keeps bemoaning the fact that McLaren and Ferrari 'overlooked' him when his driving isn't exactly spectacular; clearly he doesn't have much loyalty to Force India and after his slump in the second half of 2012, there's even less of a reason to keep him for 2013. Sutil also outperformed Di Resta in 2011 (Along with every single one of his teammates except maybe Fisichella) and in addition, Sutil + Bianchi would make a good combination; Sutil has a long history with the team, being with them ever since they're known as Midland and Spyker so he certainly has the experience to guide Bianchi, the promising test driver who has a potentially bright future ahead of him.
Just want to bring up the points in bold... Di Resta's "slump" was found out to be a problem with the car which he damaged at Suzuka. The problem wasn't found until after he had switched to another chassis after 3 races at Dubai. Prior to that accident, he started 9th (4th before a penalty) at Monza and then finished a superb 4th at Singapore. Until that accident, Di Resta had out qualified Hulkenberg 9 to 5.

You also cannot count 2011 as any factor either. That was his rookie year, just to get the car home was the point (which he did in 18 of 19 races). He was never supposed to out perform Sutil (Sutil scored 47 to 27).

On the topic of Heidfeld, I never really rated him past being a good development driver. Never spectacular but fairly fast. He got several unlucky breaks I guess in terms of his career, but he just wasn't quick enough. He was demolished by Kubica as well. Alex Wurz was in a similar category to be honest. On Kubica, he's doing a DTM test next week to see how his arm is going. Looks like he will be rallying with an M Sport Ford fiesta in the ERC for the majority of this season though.

Just want to bring up the points in bold... Di Resta's "slump" was found out to be a problem with the car which he damaged at Suzuka. The problem wasn't found until after he had switched to another chassis after 3 races at Dubai. Prior to that accident, he started 9th (4th before a penalty) at Monza and then finished a superb 4th at Singapore. Until that accident, Di Resta had out qualified Hulkenberg 9 to 5.

You also cannot count 2011 as any factor either. That was his rookie year, just to get the car home was the point (which he did in 18 of 19 races). He was never supposed to out perform Sutil (Sutil scored 47 to 27).

On the topic of Heidfeld, I never really rated him past being a good development driver. Never spectacular but fairly fast. He got several unlucky breaks I guess in terms of his career, but he just wasn't quick enough. He was demolished by Kubica as well. Alex Wurz was in a similar category to be honest. On Kubica, he's doing a DTM test next week to see how his arm is going. Looks like he will be rallying with an M Sport Ford fiesta in the ERC for the majority of this season though.
Very well then, but Vijay Mallya should think twice about retaining a driver who doesn't intend to stay with them in the long-term; he has no interest in making Force India a better team.

I believe Heidfeld is one of the most underrated drivers of all time, in 2007 he scored points in 14/17 of the races, and in the 3 races he didn't score it was due to no fault of his own and he did outperform Kubica back then. Granted, Kubica was at his first full season but the fact that he could challenge the superior McLaren and Ferrari cars shows that he would have certainly won quite a few races had he raced for them at that stage. 2008 was an average season for him, I think he could have won a race had BMW Sauber continued developing their car instead of preparing for 2009 -.- Like seriously, they had a good chance of beating Ferrari and McLaren but yet they choose to squander that opportunity to prepare for 2009 which in the end turned out to be a disastrous year for them, but I digress. I should also point out that he was teammates with Raikkonen and Massa and he outperformed both of them, but yet they got seats at McLaren and Ferrari instead of him so he never really made the most of his potential. Granted, they were also in their rookie years but I still can't help but feel that he was always given the short end of the stick.

Coronis

Impressively round
Very well then, but Vijay Mallya should think twice about retaining a driver who doesn't intend to stay with them in the long-term; he has no interest in making Force India a better team.

I believe Heidfeld is one of the most underrated drivers of all time, in 2007 he scored points in 14/17 of the races, and in the 3 races he didn't score it was due to no fault of his own and he did outperform Kubica back then. Granted, Kubica was at his first full season but the fact that he could challenge the superior McLaren and Ferrari cars shows that he would have certainly won quite a few races had he raced for them at that stage. 2008 was an average season for him, I think he could have won a race had BMW Sauber continued developing their car instead of preparing for 2009 -.- Like seriously, they had a good chance of beating Ferrari and McLaren but yet they choose to squander that opportunity to prepare for 2009 which in the end turned out to be a disastrous year for them, but I digress. I should also point out that he was teammates with Raikkonen and Massa and he outperformed both of them, but yet they got seats at McLaren and Ferrari instead of him so he never really made the most of his potential. Granted, they were also in their rookie years but I still can't help but feel that he was always given the short end of the stick.
QFT! In fact I believe that 2008 was the only year he was outscored by his teammate.

Oh my goodness, F1 fans have been hit by a bombshell: Timo Glock is living Marussia D:

http://www.racingfanatic.net/2013/01/glock-leaves-marussia-amid-tough.html

This is very unfortunate, he was quite a skilled driver, evident from his days at Toyota and the fact that he can remain in a backmarker team for so long without moving out truly shows that he has plenty of commitment and loyalty.

EDIT: So... who are the list of people who can replace him? Glock bids farewell to Marussia because of economical reasons, although both would have liked to stay together it is not practical for the survival of the team... maybe Marussia might want to hire Petrov? They are a Russian team after all, and with Petrov's nationality and sponsors he is an attractive option, a compatriot and a source of funding at the same time. If that's the case then Petrov probably shouldn't have overtaken Pic at Interlagos last year, assuming that he'll race for Marussia he has just costed his team millions of dollars :P I wonder if Pic actually let his future team through at that stage... probably not, I doubt anyone would stoop that low but considering that he will be moving to Caterham the following year he probably wasn't that committed in helping Marussia retain 10th place ahead of them so yeah :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)