Other Forum Witty (yeti wins)

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Rules/gameflow:

1. When you sign up, privately send me any sort of writing prompt, or anything that could inspire a piece of writing. Links and pictures are allowed. Just obey the forum rules and common sense.

2. Once the game starts, I will post one of the submitted prompts. Each player is to write a story inspired by the prompt within 48 hours and privately send it to me.

3. Once the 48 hours have passed or all stories have been sent in, I will post each story without mentioning who wrote it. Each player is expected to vote for a story other than their own. Once each player has, or 48 hours have passed, the writers of each story and the votes are revealed. Players that did not vote receive -2 points instead of any they would otherwise have received. Each player receives an amount of points equal to the amount of votes received, and the player with the most votes receives an additional amount of points equal to the difference between the amount of votes they received and the amount of votes received by the second highest scorer. This means no bonus points are awarded in case of a tied first place.

4. The next prompt is posted and the process repeats until each prompt has been played.

5. The player with the most points at the end is the winner.

Playerlist:

Walrein: 8 points

jumpluff: -1 point

shade: 2 points

RODAN: 3 points

pupper!!!: 2 points

Shrug: 0 points

Yeti: 13 points

SomewhatOddish: 2 points

Also highlighting Empoof so he can begin organizing the underdog game

Remember that both stories and votes should be PMed to me instead of posted directly into the thread!

Players and spectators alike are welcome in the thread to discuss prompts and stories.

the first prompt:

three people are sitting around a table, doing...something, when one of them suddenly drops dead. The other two immediately get up from their chairs and run out of the room, neither of them noticing the fourth person still hiding in the room. What happened?

Last edited:
Oooh, nice prompt. I'm excited about this. I've already got some ideas. Probably gonna do a rough draft or outline before I start, shouldn't take too long if I start now.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
may I ask about the details of the second game? this sounded like fun and am disappointed that I wasn't picked D: especially because 7/8 of the picked people have badges :3

It's happening, I need to PM the other people and get prompts. My weekend is busy so it might take until Monday/Tuesday even if people respond quickly. If there's any questions about the underdogs send me PMs, I don't wanna clutter this thread.

GL on the prompt everyone!

internet

deadline extended by 12 hours or until I wake up tomorrow, which ever comes later. 12 additional hours means it is 19 hours from now if im doing my math right.

internet

kittenmay nervously sits beside the other 16 year old girl she brought with her to meet her internet boyfriend, the much-older, skeevy LonelyNess, for the first time. This was supposed to be a bustling coffee shop, but there were no other customers. Was it possible LonelyNess had lied to her, lured her into a secluded location after all?! Well, she had her fellow dramatic teenage friend to protect her, so it would be fine.

kittenmay keeps her eyes fixed on her coffee cup. Her mother had warned her that men of disreputable intentions might try and slip something into it. As such, she never got a very good look at her e-beau's face. Though she did wonder why a hipsterish coffee shop smelled so strongly of pizza.

"So, kitten, I must say, I really enjoyed your... images..." LonelyNess simpered with a grotesquely overdone wink.

kittenmay's friend brought her own coffee cup to her mouth but did not drink, instead using it to allow her to mouth to kittenmay, "You sent nudes to THAT?"

"Oh, well, um, thanks. Just remember to delete them, haha," kittenmay awkwardly chuckled, blanching under the lecherous leer of LonelyNess and the disappointed gaze of her friend.

LonelyNess smirked and filed that request under: nope.

"Anything you want, kitten. Now, how about we talk about something... I... want?"

LonelyNess at first seemed to smile, but his mouth began twisting into a distorted expression neither could recognize. He gurgled, spittle trickled out the corners of his agape lips. Wheezed a horrible, rasping sound.

His pepperoni-esque pimples began popping off his face onto the table. Splat. Splat. Splat.

He gave one last terrified screech and fell upon the table, smashing his coffee with his head and sending it splashing over both girls.

Dead.

kittenmay screamed. Her friend immediately started crying hysterically. They both hopped up from the table and stood there, trembling, jumping up and down, pointing at him, wordlessly blathering as if to ask the other if she could see the corpse before them was indeed dead.

The stench of rotting pizza began permeating the coffee shop. It finally triggered the flight part of the girls' fight, flight, or can't even reflex. They ran for the front door, bursting through it, shrieking in terror all the while.

Stillness. LonelyNess's face seems to bleed from the burst boils, yet it has a strange consistency. Almost... saucy...

From behind the counter, a stooped figure stands up and gazes at the scene. He wears the mighty expression of a hero. Someone who has saved the world, or perhaps just a girl, from a great wrong.

The door reopens. One of the girls is going to come back in and thank her savior - could it be kittenmay?!

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

pookar's hand clumsily flails for his alarm. He can't successfully turn it off. His mother enters his bedroom, turns it off for him, and shakes her head in disappointment at the waste of an egg lying before her.

She leaves. pookar does not get up quite yet. He remains in bed, wishing the dream had lasted longer.

Wishing... she loved him back...

Mahogany panels with an oddly flickering sheen, and the rusty gleam of a shotgun idle in the centre. The light is too dim for the three to see each other's faces; the only sound is haggard breathing. The cards the dealer throws down in the flop might be dog-eared, but there's nobody around to testify, or, for that matter, to accuse.

The first, the oldest, considers his cards and pauses thoughtfully. A lot rests on that pause; it is studied, and the other two prick their ears for the slightest cue. 'My wife,' he says finally. 'Bit mad. Loved her. Loved her. She walked into the river, just like that, she walked into the river one day and...' He shivers, aware suddenly of how much he has exposed himself to this sinister blankness.

The second responds almost immediately with a strange, raucous sound: half a cackle and half a rattle. The third feels instinctively it might be forced; the first is seized with doubt and fear. 'Only worth that much? Why'd you even bother?' There's a sound like riffling, a flourish maybe. 'Thirty years of my youth back. Raise.'

Silence. The dealer, a hunched and skeletal figure, paces, waiting on a premonition.

'Check.'

The tension breaks; the first and the second burst into sincere laughter. Rusty, creaking laughter, the disuse of which has already been in evidence. 'Can't believe our fucking luck.' 'Our odds just went up, friend! Statistically, you do have a chance here.'

Three, seven, ace.

Now the bets rise with a strange camaraderie. 'Her fortune! Raise!' 'I probably wasted more money on the opera than that, friend. Raise!' By the time they reach the river, the third, small and stooped, is all but forgotten.

'Fold,' she says gravely.

'You can't do that,' the first, a rather unoriginal type, blurts automatically.

'Some sort of pinko?' the second snaps, offended on principle. He's remembered why he's there; he is a butcher, an executioner, there to sentence his friend to life in death, and he is on death row, appealing for life, playing for keeps, and everything rests on the turn of a friendly card. 'Raise! Raise! The world, the world, it's much poorer without me. Who cares for her, it's life for me now, and the devil take anyone who,' and then suddenly, falling, red and dark and stabbing and being swallowed, and he reaches out slightly but is engulfed by the shadows. His heart attack has run its course, punctuated only by a hoarse cry. Two seconds later, his body stiffens. There's a thud, and Keynes is gone again.

They all know what death feels like, having been privileged enough to have experienced their own. The two remaining push their seats back violently and run—in opposite directions. The husband makes for the exit, blindly grasping for life and light and breath and inheritance; his footsteps are audible even squelching in the marsh, his terror palpable. The forgotten wife, rocks scattering almost autumnal from her petticoat, follows the river Styx along its old, familiar course; she has a ferry to catch, and secrets to carry, and she has played her hand to keep them, to return to that final place where eternity strips meaning from mystery.

Death smiles and runs its fingertip along the dependable edge of the Ace of Spades, face up in the firm grip of the corpse at the table. It pulls two coins out of the old statistician's pocket and almost tenderly lays them upon his eyelid, so that his passage to hell is paid, accounting for inflation.

The year is 2041, the country of Smogon is much changed place from what it was five years ago. The Great Cong Civil War is finally over, but the reverberations of the conflict are still being felt across the land. The vicious battle between the LGBTQ Thread loyalists and the 2nd Amendment Arms Bearers ended in almost total defeat for the LGBTQ loyalists, ultimately leading to TIK and his supporters holding the Congregation of the Masses.

It was just another normal post-war day for TIK as he and his councilmen walked into the council chamber. Three wooden seats placed on each side of a grand oak table awaited them. TIK sat down, eager to talk about guns or Donald Trump or how nice it is that God melted the ice caps and flooded half the world for him so he would always have a place to swim. Anthropogenic climate change, ha! he thought, as a beaming grin appeared on his face.

He had not been sat down long when he felt a strange moist feeling on his penis. He didn't think anything of it, it was a pretty warm day today and it was probably just dick sweat. This actually feels kinda... good? he mused, unable to concentrate on the important council topics at hand. "TIK?" Deck Knight said, eager to get his leader's attention so they could discuss how only guns can save people from any situation of minor peril. "Huh.. Oh.." TIK faltered, "I'm listenin' don't worry about me, just thinking about how awesome it was when Donald called Hillary a bitch that time.". Nods of approval from his two fellow councilmen, he was in the clear.

Suddenly, the moist pleasure turned to pain. Burning pain. He couldn't breathe anymore, his face going redder by the second. The other two councilmen didn't even notice his struggle, they were too buys compiling a post for the latest US election thread. After 5 minutes of battling, TIK was no more, his head slammed on to the table with a thud. "OH GOD, TIK?!", screamed Deck Knight, alerted by the thud. "QUICK, GET THE BIG GUNS!" shouted x5dragon, the Islamic Ambassador to he council. They both ran out to seek out their stash of sub-machine guns, eager to find something to shoot in relation to TIKs death.

When they left the room, a large bearded figure emerged from under the table - a freedom fighter for the LGBTQ loyalists, no doubt. He wiped the cyanide off his lips and carved a message into the grand oak council table before disappearing into the shadows.

Deck and x5dragon re-entered the room, firing bullets as they ran in. "No one here Deck," said x5dragon after scouting the room out in real James Bond style. "x5, look at this," Deck exclaimed, "the killer has left us a message.". x5dragon peered over the table and gasped as he read the words the bearded figure had carved into the table.

"I'm gay, lol"

what happened? love happened, more specifically the loss thereof:

two people sit in a room looking at their phones. engrossed as they are, they cannot see the third person with them, hovering just above. the phones are separate and different. the two people are in love, but the loves are separate and different. one shows their phone to the other - "what does this mean", they say. it's a text: "laughed at "[text]"". the other person laughs and says your phone isnt updated like that, let me show you: they text their telephonically laggard companion letters strung together, then hold it down and tap to add a laugh. another text rolls in: "laughed at [letters]". upon receipt, the person with the noncomplex phone laughs too, briefly. their love with the fully equipped phone's face lights up. they send a text with their slow lovers name and adds a heart. the text rolls in: "loves [name]". his deficient companion responds: "i would do that, but i dont have the physical capability". they both laugh for a second before they hear the third person in the room, before unseen, crash to the floor unmoving. a second of silence, then they dash for opposite doors, tears streaming down the face of one of them. The fourth person in the room slowly stretches their legs, cracks their neck, and prepares to talk to both at once.

“What will always get you laid?”

The sound of two people shuffling through their hand of cards followed the question. I felt a chill run down my spine and sighed as I looked over my options. None of these cards are winning me the game, I thought. Fuck it. I picked out a random card and slid it face down to Nadia, who was across from me.

I jumped a little when a sudden voice coming from my left broke the silence. “I’m not gonna lie,” Marie started, “this was just a throwaway round for me.”

“Same here,” I said. “All I’ve got left are shit cards anyway.”

Marie looked over at me. “So what do think, Cait? Think you can catch up to me?”

“I doubt it,” I sighed. “I really don’t think it’s a good card.”

Nadia spoke up. “How many black cards do you guys have?”

“Marie’s got nine. I’m at six.” I crossed my arms as the chill came over me again.

“Well, anything can happen,” Nadia stated. “All right. What will always get you laid?”

Nadia shuffled our cards, which was really just her alternating the cards between top and bottom with her eyes closed, eventually settling for the one on top. She looked over the card and made a sort of coughing noise, as if she was choking on her words. That usually happened when a card came up that she deemed “inappropriate.” She was always the innocent type.

“Road head,” she finally forced out. The laughter that came from Marie and I was light and unlively. It was the kind of laughter that happens after someone tells a joke that’s not that funny, but you don’t want to be rude. Road head probably would have been a funnier card in a different context. Or maybe we were just desensitized.

Nadia continued on to the next card. “And…establishing dominance.”

No one even tried to laugh this time. Yep, there’s my card. I knew it sucked. Go figure.

The room fell silent for a quick moment, before Marie abruptly spoke out. “Both of these cards suck.”

“Yeah,” Nadia agreed. “You guys really dropped the ball on this one.” Nadia set her arms up on the glass table in front of her, folding her hands and resting her chin on them. “I guess I’m just gonna go with road head.”

“That’s mine!” Marie reached over for the black card, throwing all her white ones down on the table.

“Figures.” I gathered the cards together and put them all back in the black box, not really caring for what order they were in.

Marie took out her phone and unlocked it. “Oops. Mom texted about an hour ago. Wants to know when I can come home.”

“So you’re heading out?” I asked.

“I have to. Got family coming over tomorrow.”

“I should probably go, too,” Nadia added.

“All right. I’ll see you guys out.”

We all stood up from our chairs in unison. I began to stretch my arms over my head, before immediately pulling them back down when I felt another chill. God… Why is it so damn cold in here? My arms and legs were covered in goosebumps. Sure, we were getting close to October. But this was Florida, and the rules of the seasons didn’t always apply to us. The evening sun poured in through the open window above my bed. It really should be much warmer than it currently is.

“Hey,” I began, “is anybody else cold in- “

My sentence was cut short by a sound that appeared to be a disgusting crack. Nadia and I both turned our heads to the source – Marie. Her neck was snapped so far back that the flesh had ripped, leaking blood and exposing raw tissue. Her face was twisted into a shape of permanent fear, eyes bulging out of their sockets, and mouth was wide open, as if she had attempted to scream. She made absolutely no sound as she dropped to the floor, falling on top of my glass table and breaking it.

Nadia let out an ear-piercing scream. I wanted to scream as well, yet had a hard time finding my breath. I wanted to run, but my legs wouldn’t move. I wanted to cry, but no tears fell. All I could was stare in disbelief at the corpse of one of my longtime best friends, shaking as the chill came over me once again, now stronger than before.

A sudden grasp on my arm broke me out of my stupor. I nearly struggled, before realizing it was Nadia.

“Come on!” Her high pitched scream hurt my eardrums.

She pulled so hard on my arm that I could’ve sworn it was going to come off. Somehow, my legs regained their mobility and I ran out of the room with Nadia.

We made our way to the front door of my house. “We have to call the police!” Nadia cried hysterically.

And tell them what? What would they believe? No one else was in the room but us. If anything, we’d be the ones in trouble.

I wasn’t given the chance to voice my thoughts. Nadia let out an agonizing scream as her back suddenly bent against her will. Her spine cracked as her body struggled against the strain. Inevitably, the skin began to give way, stretching apart until a large tear completely broke open the flesh. All I could do was watch as her limp body fell backwards, the white carpet now stained with blood, and the sight of her exposed insides burning into my memory. For a brief moment I retreated into the back of my mind, where images of the two friends I had known since middle school flashed before my eyes. It had only just hit me that never again would I play Cards Against Humanity with them on a weekday afternoon. Never again would we go out for drinks on a Saturday night. Never again would we eat lunch together and take turns sharing the various misfortunes of our respective lives.

This isn’t real. This just can’t be real.

The chill was at its strongest now, and I made no effort to protect myself from it. The only thing keeping me from going into a complete daze was the sound of footsteps. Footsteps that were coming my way.

I turned to the hooded figure that was now right in front me. It isn’t possible… Where were they hiding? How could no one have noticed?

I realized that I would never get to entertain those thoughts. All I could focus on in that moment was the figure's smile. An eerie, maniacal grin that stretched so wide, it almost didn't seem human. It was the last thing I saw before my entire world went black.

They say that in the olden days, miners used to take canaries with them down into the coal mines. Hell, maybe they still do - coal miners tend to be a traditional sort of folk. They don't change easily, and they don't change often. Even with the advancement of technology, today's mining operation is almost identical to one from a hundred years ago.

Anyways. Canaries. Miners aren't the sentimental type. They weren't bringing in canaries for shits and giggles. No, miners are utilitarian. They try to get a practical use out of everything, and that includes canaries. See, mining isn't exactly the safest job on the planet. There's all sorts of things that can go wrong - cave-ins, malfunctioning equipment, and worst of all, suffocation. When you dig a mine deep into the Earth, you need a ventilation system that can pump air all the way down to the end of the tunnel, so that the miners have fresh air to breath and aren't dropping dead on the rocks.

That's where the canaries come in. Canaries, as you may know, aren't quite as big as humans. In particular, their lungs are much smaller, and their respiratory system isn't able to handle quite as much toxic air as a result. As you may also know, canaries are known for singing essentially nonstop. This combination of traits makes them useful in a morbid sort of way. The miner takes a canary down into the mine, and it's singing. If it stops singing, it's dead, and the miner needs to get out of there as fast as humanly possible.

Is that animal cruelty? Maybe. The canaries sure don't like it. Miners, however, don't really care about things like that, not when their livelihood depends on it. They don't exactly live in the lap of luxury. They do whatever it takes to survive. It may be cruel, but it's life.

And if nothing else, it's coined a phrase. "Canary in a coalmine". Pretty nifty thing to call an early-warning system.

Of course, a canary's not much help if you don't know what it's alerting you to. When those two boys saw their friend drop dead at the dinner table, for example, they just ran. They didn't know what they were running from. But they knew he was a canary in their metaphorical coal mine. And if they had known about the presence of the man squatting in the corner, about how his head didn't quite seem to match up with the rest of his body, about his mismatched eyes that seemed to look right through you rather than at you, about the things he could do and the things he would do...

Well, maybe they would have run a little faster.

“Alright, so this first official meeting of the damn anthrax senders.” spoke Orville Redenbacher, secret mastermind. “Our first order of business is of course, testing the product for ourselves.” “Now before we open it, we need to put on our anti anthrax masks” What Orville didn't know that money couldn't buy everything, and even though he had a multimillion popcorn business he could not make anti anthrax masks a reality. The only person who truly knew that they would not work of course, was Jane Redenbacher – just outside of the room. She had hooked Orville up with the masks, knowing that they would fail and she could take over the family business once and for all. “Just another day in my twisted life >:]” she said out loud, to roaring applause. And the moral of the story is, if you join the damn anthrax senders you don't have to test it.

Huh? only 7? seems like someone missed the deadline...

Send me your vote privately! Do not vote for yourself.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I knew shade was #3 but I thought Walrein and Oddish were #5 and #6 respectively. I voted 6 cause it was 2spooky. i would've gone #3 if i voted off funniest

#2 was way too overwritten for me sorry jumpluff :( and #4 was just not to my written aesthetic

gj to all except dirty nonsubmitter pupper

I was almost certain that that #2 was Walrein. Kinda funny how me and jumpluff voted for each other. Good job on the story jumpluff. I loved it. :)

#1 was hilariously disgusting. And #3 was just hilarious. Gotta agree with Yeti on #4 though. I have the same opinion on #7 as well.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
correctly predicted all authors except 3 and 4 - thought 3 was pupper and 4 was shade with shrug being the nonsubmitter

all the others were fairly obvious through writing styles/use of dank memes/british spellings (pluff)

good work everyone tho

Damn is my writing style that obvious? I don't think I've ever written any stories on smogon before.

I didn't try to predict who wrote what except for the one I voted for

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
Damn is my writing style that obvious? I don't think I've ever written any stories on smogon before.

I didn't try to predict who wrote what except for the one I voted for
i remembered you saying something about outlining your story beforehand which matched up with the length, and it didn't really seem to fit anyone else's personality

i remembered you saying something about outlining your story beforehand which matched up with the length, and it didn't really seem to fit anyone else's personality
Hm, interesting. Now I'm curious as to what you perceive my personality to be lol

Interestingly enough, I ended up scrapping the outline all together. Though my story did go through multiple rough drafts, mostly for minor things.

internet

I'm sick and everything hurts and I'm going to sleep. I can't update or find a co-host in time. I'm very sorry, I should have found a co-host while I wasn't yet feeling so terrible.

deadline extended by at least 12 hours.

get well soon

I didn't submit, oops, I've had three appointments in a row. lets see if I can make it, I'm in a similar state :/

yeti's story would've been my second vote for the last prompt, interwebs can confirm. I pretty much shit something out at 1 AM really stressed over my aunt being in hospital from something longer Ive been working on but it didnt translate well, thanks though!

internet

Mantino “The Mook” Scarpetta was a feared man, he ruled the fisheries of the Florida Keys. When it came to the ocean, not many people had as discerning an eye as him. Every day he would wake up at 3 in the morning and travel to the docks, usually to check on his product. Today was different though, he had a very important meeting.

“Hey Mook!” bellowed a rather large man with a thick Brazilian accent. “How have you been my friend!” Mook looked at him, eyeing his gigantic build. He has definitely met this man before in the past but he can't remember who he is. Mook reached out to shake his hand, and the man pulled him close, whispering in his ear “I've got the stuff.”

Thoughts started zipping through his head, “what stuff could that be?” He was starting to sweat, this man was an intimidating presence, and he felt like if he even made one misstep he could possibly be snapped in half by this giant of a man. Acting on his feet he simply asked “Alright, so how much do you need?” Bingo. The man's face lit up like a wildfire. “That's gonna be around 4000$ buddy.”

Relieved that the meeting went as well as it did Mook decided to see what exactly it is he received. Upon opening the cargo he realized what he just got himself into, this was absolutely pure uncut cocaine. And now he would have to find a way to get rid of it, and profitably.

This was a new road for him, he only ever truly dealt in fish and fishlike products. So he thought to himself “If i ship out the fish with the cocaine in it, I can make a profit on both at once.” This at the time seemed like an extremely genius idea. The fuzz would never be able to catch him, because of his local fame as the fishman. Setting this plan into action was the hard part, who would want both expensive fish and powerful drugs? The answer he found was a lot easier than he thought it would be, rich people were notoriously hedonistic. He could upsell the fish at an extremely high price and then double it for the cocaine shipped inside.

For about a month this was going really smoothly, until the Giant suddenly arrived at his office. He had a grimace on his face. “Hey buddy, hows the business doing?' he asked in his trademark thick accent. “Here's the thing buddy, you are profiting far too much off my product. So I feel like we should get into business together instead.” At this point the man was crushing Mook with a firm grasp around his shoulders. “Because if you turn me down here, I got a feelin' the cops will be here sooner than you want bud.” “This is fine”, Mook thought. He felt like he had a very good relationship with the local fuzz. The large man couldn't handle his rage and leapt at Mook...

The next day the body of Luca “El Gigante” Vasquez washed up on the beach. Nobody knew what happened to this man, but there was a message in his pocket saying “It's whats on the inside that truly matters - M”

The time: 1927

The place: the grand Smogon Estate

The Cirque Celebration is in full swing, a lavish, elaborate party, funded by millions obtained from an unknown source. The coppers have been paid off to steer clear of the estate for the night, and perhaps well into the next day as well, as socialites don sunglasses and slink away in their bumpy, thin-tired cars.

A thousand eager participants parade across the property, flitting from one bustling crowd to the next. Downing glasses of freely-labeled alcohol, the first time they've been openly able to imbibe in almost a decade.

Except for a cluster of well-dressed teetotalers, who frown on the intoxicated guests. They are the owners of the estate, the party's hosts, one could say. As if the pressure of putting on such an opulent affair wasn't hosting them. The group consists of several males and one female.

A man approaches them, clad in a purple, green, and gold zoot suit. He staggers slightly. He's had more than he can handle, but he'll drink more anyway. This is The Hooker. Rumor has it he personally embezzled millions off various deviant businessmen with his flirtatious, loose charms.

He greets each of his fellow owners in turn:

A man lurking in the shadow of an awning, a wide fedora tipped over his face, darkening it so his features are difficult to discern. At times, he seems to despise the company of the others. Other moments, he deeply craves their attention. This is The Inspector.

A hulking, larger man, of foreign descent. He cannot run very fast, but he is exceedingly loyal. When he speaks, it is with a thick accent. His shrieks of laughter draw attention, more than the others would like. Though this is their party, who knows what unscrupulous sorts have snuck in among the hundreds of other guests. This is The Bodyguard.

A less imposing man, a boyish grin on his face. He looks so much younger than the rest. He stands against a wall, mostly hidden from those walking by so they cannot recognize him. The public face of decency, posing as an honest businessman to the masses. This is The Mole.

The last, a couple. Distinguished, dignified, determined. The woman glitters with an excess of diamonds strung around her neck, wrists, waist and cinched onto her fingers as rings. Wherever one goes, the other is sure to follow. These are The Lovers.

Another man shuffles past, wearing the clothes of a serviceman, but lacking any signs of hard labor: his palms are soft though his right hand is oddly red and muscular. No callouses or worn features. He is in disguise, posing as a lowly cleaner in order to infiltrate rooms occupied by nefarious sorts and listen in on their discussions. His expression is consistently bitter, for an undetermined reason. This is The Janitor.

Finally, yet another man joins them soon after The Hooker does. His accent betrays him as an Englishman, perhaps he has smuggled over exotic, foreign goods like arts, spices, women. This is The Killer.

They mingle, anonymous in the midst of a thousand other faces bustling about aimlessly, carelessly, wantonly. The hundred rooms in the mansion will slowly fill with lecherous men branching women used to much weaker moonshine who have now drunk too much away from their circles. Many of these men will drift to sleep once they have sated themselves on young, bubbly girls too blind to see beyond their own white noses. And then they will not wake up. The Killer with his skeleton key will roam the halls in the witching hour. Then The Janitor will shuffle in and drag soiled sheets back out with him. Oddly large, lumpy sheets. As The Bodyguard lurks the hallways, hiding behind tapestries and billowing, floor-length curtains. In case something goes wrong.

The Lovers will retire to their shared chamber and gracefully fall onto a four posted bed together. Following a lengthy, sensual interlude, they will plan the next day's schemes. The Inspector and The Mole will sleep early so they can venture beyond the estate, to where the common people flit aimlessly day in and day out, in the morning and infiltrate. Sleuth. The Hooker will pull the most promising mark into his own personal den of debauchery and enact seedy behaviors with him, whatever the mark desires. Until he has what is needed. And then The Killer will come. And The Janitor will follow. Unless, for some reason, the mark is more useful alive. But this is rare.

The party rages on around them, showing no signs of stopping. It will continue well into the next day as those who feel so unjustly oppressed by Prohibition will lose themselves in the wildness of it all. Fortunately, the police will indeed swing wide of the estate. Their word is good for a dollar. And that's more than can be said of most.

A hunched figure makes the rounds, greeting guests, far away from the owners. A daisy chained crown adorns their head. Each new person they meet is delighted to make their acquaintance and quickly desires to see them more, follow them around, spend a bit more time in their company.

The Hooker reports in: he's slept with the head of The Village. And they know the Smogon Estate is not home to fellow villagers. Along with guests who simply want to break free of their governmental chains, vigilantes and spies from The Village are mingled in with the crowds, ready to strike.

Be careful, Hooker. You never know who you may fall into bed with. He nods, carelessly, and swaggers back off to find another promising mark. The other owners nod and disperse. The Janitor beelines for the mansion to hopefully stumble upon a secret meeting of villagers in some room and overhear their schemes. The Inspector and The Mole separate quickly, one remaining in the shadows to obtain information via subterfuge and the other freely socializing with his 'fellow' villagers. The Killer reviews a list of known vigilantes with The Lovers and then sets out to pick them off. The Bodyguard lingers, do The Lovers desire him to stay with them? No, go with The Killer. They can take of each other. The Bodyguard nods, somewhat sadly, and follows at an inconspicuous distance.

The Lovers remain in place. Waiting for trouble to come to them, should it so foolishly choose.

Hours go by, and none of the others return. The Lovers have lingered in the same poolside courtyard the whole while, but it is past time. They warily set out to investigate. Small Colts concealed in their palms, ready to be fired.

What of The Hooker? He found a vigilante to seduce and milk, so to speak, for information. Or had the vigilante found him? While The Hooker was on his knees, mouth around the vigilante's member, the other man pulled out a sawed-off shotgun and blew a hole straight down The Hooker through his skull. This was personal, gruesome, bloody. The Hooker had slept with this man's wife for a month previously, in what was supposed to be a secret affair. But of course, the truth is always revealed. The Lovers found him first, in his usual sex dungeon. They made a note to tell The Janitor to take him to The Mortician for a proper burial.

What of The Janitor? They could not find him at first. The innermost hallways of the mansion, with no windows, were eerily quiet. The din of the party outdoors, still going but waning from the roaring riot it was earlier, could not penetrate the many layers of walls. Then The Lovers noticed a door ajar. It was a study, with a lengthy table. One they themselves used to discuss with The Goons. The chairs were all disturbed from their standard positions, someones unauthorized had been sitting in this room when The Janitor shuffled in to clean it. The Janitor who now swung from the glitzy chandelier in the room, dangling from it by a rope. His face was blue, pained, angry. The Lovers briefly thought to find The Janitor to take the body down, then realized. They cut him down themselves and left him on the table. They had other concerns.

What of The Inspector? They heard his muffled screams of defiance behind a locked door. The Male Lover kicked it in and they quickly fired their Colts right through the hearts of the three vigilantes holding The Inspector captive. He was tied to a chair, and those bonds were the only thing keeping him upright. All his fingers were missing, cut off in a torturous sequence to get him to talk. But he refused to the bitter end. His eyes rolled back, delirious from the pain and blood loss. The Lovers rushed to him, slapped his face gently to bring him back to reality. How deep did this situation go? The Village knew... everything... though the last word was slurred by blood gurgling up from The Inspector's throat as his last breath was hoarsely yanked from his mouth. The Lovers closed his eyes and departed the room, as his soul had just done.

What of The Killer and The Bodyguard? They found the latter in a hallway, riddled with bullets. From the position he had slumped to the floor in, it looked as though he had leaped in front of someone to block the shots. A trail of rushed blood lead away from the scene - he had not blocked every shot. The Female Lover gave him a last pat on the head, as one might a dog. The Lovers followed the trickled drops around several corners. The Killer had run as far as he could, but he had been outnumbered by vigilantes. Five of whom's corpses were between The Lovers and The Killer. He had taken many with him. And then whoever he hadn't, had wrestled his Smith and Wesson from him and shoved it into his mouth. Pulled the trigger.

What of The Mole? Hubris. He had thought himself safe, surely his cover was not blown. He was in the company of friends. Sitting in a room sporting with the other gents as overly bold ladies looked on, hoping to take the winners to an empty room for what little remained of the night. The games carried on without aggression. Until a vigilante slinked into the room and began nodding. The Mole did not notice at first, so assured of his situation was he. Then something in the ambiance of the room changed. The feel of impending death weighed heavily on it, disrupted the brevity. He nodded to the other chaps as he realized their attentions were fixating on him and backed away from a pool table as if to imply another man should take his turn. He backed up to a wall with ornate wooden molding carved into it. He pressed a secret button in the wall and the doors to the room locked. A powder descended from the ceiling. So many villagers were in this room, he would take out over half of them himself. And someone would be proud of him. So The Lovers were.

What of The Lovers, then? They realized their situation was compromised beyond repair and they had to depart. Yet, they did not head for the closest exit of the mansion. No, they headed up stairs, further into the interior. Into the trap. The vigilantes surrounded them. They shot as many as they could with their Colts, but it was not enough. The Male Lover took a shot through his heart. It pierced his body and left the other side, striking The Female Lover, who he had been shielding, right in her heart as well. It lacked the force to penetrate very deeply, but it was enough of a wound. She shot the last vigilantes in the room and staggered away with a final, mournful glance back at The Male Lover. His heart allowed him one final beat to tell her what he wanted her to last hear from his lips. I love you. She blew him a kiss and departed, kicking the vigilante who had mortally wounded the both of them in the head. Then she shot his penis.

She entered the deepest, most protected room of the mansion. And found the figure with the daisy crown. I'm sorry, she said, my time is up. We couldn't stop them. You need to go. The figure nodded and hugged The Female Lover one final time. She joined her soulmate in eternal slumber.

Vigilantes stormed the room. They celebrated, The Female Lover had not been able to kill the daisy crowned figure! Their entire ranks entered the room, all that remained of the village.

The figure pulled back their cloak, revealing their face for the first time...

And lifted their walker off the ground, revealing a pair of twin Tommy guns masquerading as support legs.

You've made a mistake today, said The Godfather, But don't worry. It'll be your last.

Rattatatat.

The Mafia have won.

The roaring twenties
Tommy wasn't like the others of his age. He had a big head, short arms and 60 bone-crunching teeth like everyone else but the blood lust just was not there. All the other 19 year olds were out tormenting herds of Gallimimus or trying to assert their dominance at the latest Triceratops corpses. Not Tommy though. Tommy hadn't spoken in years, not even a whimper. Chewing, slashing and gnawing just did not appeal to him and he preferred to tend to an old conifer tree - it was his only friend. He was bottom of the food chain in the most unforgiving of worlds.

Tommy's sister, Tina, was worried. Their mother hadn't raised him from an egg to see him slouch around like some sort of herbivore. 'Enough is enough,'she thought,'Our Tommy is going to learn how to be a Rex'. Tyrannosaurus Rex reached sexual maturity at around 20 years of age but only tended to live to 30 - the roaring twenties, as they were known. Tina knew all the Rex females laughed at Tommy and she wanted to make sure Tommy's roaring twenties lived up to their name.

"Tommy, are you coming on the hunt today?" Tina called over, knowing exactly what the response would be. As usual, Tommy let out a short whine and turned to face his beloved tree. 'That fucking tree,'Tina raged internally, the sooner they were rid of that tree the better. As Tina turned to leave for the hunt, a large herd of sauropods not far from them gave her an idea. She bolted away from the hunting party and headed straight towards the herd.

"Tina?!" "What are you doing?!!" "They're too big, they'll kill you!" came the cries from the crowd. They were right, the sauropods Tina was charging towards could be 10 times the weight of Tina and one swipe of their gigantic tails could do some lasting damage. Tina was undeterred and she began roaring and charging round herd, seemingly achieving nothing but to anger the gentle giants. Tina's friends had spotted this and rushed over to support their friend, hoping they could convince her to come back. However, the arrival of more Tyrannosaurs panicked the herd and the herd began to charge. Tina and her friends had blocked off one exit route, leading the herd to charge right towards Tommy and the tree.

"TOMMY, LOOK OUT!" Tina screamed, desperate for her brother to make a dash for it. Tommy lifted his head just in time and managed to dive out of the way of the marauding herd. When the dust settled, Tina appeared over him, "Are you alright Tommy?". He grunted in return, he was fine if only a little dazed.

As he regained his footing he was horrified as to what he saw: his tree was nothing more than a smattering of bark on the scorched earth. He stared at the mess for a moment, transfixed by the sight of his dead friend. Then, he raised his head towards to sky, released the most bellowing roar the Cretaceous had ever seen and sprinted off in the direction of the sauropod herd.

Tommy's roaring twenties were here.

For better or worse, Prohibition promised to be the change that America needed.

And change it brought. Traditional saloons became a thing of the past, and in their place, an underground business arose.

In hindsight, perhaps people should have known that the ban on alcohol would lead to...opportunities. After all, isn't that what America was known for? Coupled with the increasing popularity of jazz, the booming economy, and array of new social trends, America was seemingly at its prime. Could life be any better?

"South Side, please," a young woman said in a half-hearted, yet sultry tone. She needed this. With cropped, brown hair that framed a pale face, rosy cheeks, smoky eyes, and a loose-fitting red dress that stopped just below her knees, May was the very essence of a flapper, a unique type of woman that had emerged due to the social liberality of the roaring twenties. And by all means, May was riding the winds of change with enthusiasm. But lately, she hadn't quite been feeling like herself, and all she wanted now was to drink the bad times away.

The bartender placed the cocktail in front of her. "Thank you, darling." May sipped at her drink and glanced around the establishment. There was a choir of chatter from various tables. Coupled with the sound of jazz music, it helped breathe life into the room, but not into her.

From her left, May could see the owner of the speakeasy coming her way. Joseph Seidelman, a long time friend of hers. He had a large, muscular frame that filled a black suit. May set down her drink and flashed him a mischievous grin.

"So I saw Luis' name in the obituaries," May brought up. "Shot dead in his home."

Joseph took a seat beside her, folding his hands in front of his lips. "What are you getting at?"

"You really don't do very well under pressure, honey."

Joe shrugs his broad shoulders, turning away from her. "It's hard out here."

"Is that all you have to say? I thought you two were friends."

"There are no friends in business."

May set her drink down. "Scandalous. You've changed, Joe."

Joe let out a hollow laugh. "Everything's changing." He glanced down, the rim of his hat nearly covering his eyes. "Look, I feel bad about it, really. But everyone wants to run an establishment nowadays. You've gotta do what you can to stay on top."

"So is that what you're telling yourself to help you go to sleep at night?"

"It's the best I've got. Or I'll just end up wallowing in guilt."

"Well, you've always got alcohol for that. At least, that's what I use it for."

Joe looked over at her, cocking an eyebrow. "What could you have done to make you feel guilty?"

"It's not really guilt so much as it is sorrow." May sighed, eyes locked on her glass. "The marriage isn't getting any better. He's seeing someone else, I know it."

"I'm sorry to hear that, May."

"She's younger than me. Rich, too, though I doubt it's actually her money. I'm sure she makes him happy. Ever since he met her, he hardly pays me any attention." May stopped to sip at her drink again. "My birthday was last week, you know. I turned twenty-six. Had to remind him. He still hasn't gotten me anything." May's voice went quiet. "He hasn't even touched me in months."

For a moment, the two fell silent. Joe seemingly opted to get lost in his thoughts, but May didn't want to think. She briefly payed attention to the music, but she couldn't recognize the song. It seemed to be coming to an end anyway.

May downed the rest of her cocktail. "Drink with me, Joe," she abruptly spoke out. "I'm lonely."

Joe perked his head up, forcing a lop-sided smile. "All right."

Joe asked for a Highball, and May received another South Side. The two toasted to eachother, fully prepared to drown their sorrows in their drinks.

There wasn't too much talking after that, and May felt just as unfulfilled as she did walking in. Not like that was gonna stop her from ordering more. There was no way she gonna allow herself to slip into her own mind. Too many bad thoughts. Instead, she focused her attention on the background music once again, taking another swig of her drink. Maybe if she drank enough, she could empty her mind and completely lose herself to the music.

May closed her eyes as "Dead Man Blues" started to play.

The roaring 20s
There are few things more peaceful than a quiet, starlight night. One can gaze upwards into the vast abyss of spacetime and lose themselves to introspection among the cosmic infinities. The gentle whisper of a midnight breeze and the quiet murmurings of nocturnal wildlife only serve to support this experience of utmost serenity.

Unfortunately for Attilla F. "Light" Wolff, however, this night was neither quiet nor starlit. And it was his own fault.

Back at Wolff's extravagant manor, a party the likes of which would never be seen again after that night raged onwards into the wee hours of the morning. Nobody threw a party like Wolff, and everybody knew it. Every night for the past three years, what seemed like the entire population of the tri-state area had packed itself into that luxurious home for a night of drinking, dancing, and debauchery that you couldn't find anywhere else.

The din of voices and music from this party could be heard from three blocks away, so of course it could be heard from Wolff's own backyard. Behind the vast estate was a rather largish pond, and at the end of a dock in this pond sat Wolff, pensive. The noise of the party was nearly as loud here as it would be from inside the house, but he gave no indication that he heard it.

The night sky was an inky black - a consequence of the obnoxious light pollution the party produced. If it weren't for the lights from his and other nearby manses reflecting off the pond's surface, it would have been difficult to tell where the water ended and the sky began.

Wolff took notice of none of this. He was focused on one light in particular.

You see, across the pond, in a home nearly equaling Wolff's own in extravagance (and far surpassing it in tastefulness) resided one Samuel Edwards. Like Wolff, Edwards was a powerful and prominent figure in the community. He was a strong-willed, opinionated man - never one to back down or change his mind. Though he rubbed many the wrong way, he still managed to earn the respect of most, if not all, of his peers.

And he had one thing Wolff didn't. He had her.

You could have fired a rifle a foot from Wolff's head that night, and he wouldn't have noticed. There was only one thing he noticed. Across the pond, the light on Edwards' dock blinked lazily into the night. To most, it was just a light. To Wolff, it was everything he had once loved, and everything he had lost.

A man in a dark suit is sitting at his desk (a custom-made desk, mahogany, very solid, very beautiful). Now, this man is not just any man. He is special, and it’s not because of his desk. In a startling subversion of the human condition, this man is utterly content!

“There are only three things any person should look for in life: a good beer, a tastefully furnished room, and a nice suit.” The man has spent his whole life living by this credo. Currently in his possession: several thousand kegs of good beer, many nicely-furnished rooms scattered throughout the city; and hundreds upon hundreds of impeccable suits. Hence the satisfaction.

Never mind the fact that the man’s beer had been bought with (and sold for) blood, that his rooms were housing some worse-than-unsavory characters, and that his many suits had at one time or another been stained with blood. The man in the dark suit has never cared much for the details.

There is a mildly annoying dripping coming from somewhere in the ceiling. Rain? Faulty plumbing? The man doesn’t know, and doesn’t particularly care, because it’s sunset in the city, and the streets are swathed with ribbons of shimmering gold and bloody crimson—or at least that’s what the man in the dark suit is thinking, anyways (He fancies himself a poet). On that note he opens the right drawer of his desk and takes out a few pages of paper. One of the finer things in life is poetry. Any gentleman worth his spit should occasionally partake in putting their mind to the sheaf.

The man writes into the night. He has been taken by a creative fervor the likes of which he has never known before. He has filled three pages when there is a knock on the door.

From outside the door comes a muffled “Delivery for you, sir.”

“Come on in,” the man mumbles. The door opens, and three seconds another man walks in.

The other man is holding a gun. Shots ring out.

When the body is found, the finder does not go to the police, as one might expect in a case like this. They instead rush to their room, pick up a bright blue telephone and dial a number.

“The Mallard’s been stuffed. Stuffed and mounted.”

Silence on the other end.

“What should I--”

“Be quiet.” A gravelly voice on the other end. “And stay put. We’re sending someone over. You understand you will be punished after all this is over?”

“…I’m ready to accept the consequences.” The finder hangs up, the conversation over. He sprawls of the floor and sighs.

A few hours later a black automobile grumbles to a stop in front of the building where the man was found. A scruffy man in a brown overcoat climbs out and tramps up the steps. The car zooms off. Three brisk knocks.

The finder opens the door, and the two men greet each other, all business. The finder leads the man in the overcoat into the parlor, through the kitchen and up the stairs. They walk down a long hallway and arrive, finally, at the door to the study.

“I found him here. I was in the parlor like usual, watching the door, when I heard gunshots. I ran up the stairs but by the time I’d gotten there they’d already left through the window.” The finder opens the door, and the scruffy man walks into the study.

The study is a small rectangular room, dominated by the massive mahogany desk in the back. Bookshelves line the walls on either side. A large picture window covers most of the wall behind the desk, but one of its three large glass panels has been shattered. Glass shards and blood litter the floor.

Slumped in the chair behind the desk is a bloody corpse. The body is drenched in blood. The face isn’t visible because of the positioning of the body. It wears a suit, undamaged aside from the blood soaked into its linen folds.

The scruffy man looks over the scene once, twice, three times, nods. He starts by walking over to the bookshelves. The bookshelves are well organized, not filled to the brim but neatly filed. He runs his fingers over the spines. He turns to the finder.

“Impressive collection.”

“He was an avid reader.” The scruffy man holds up his hand and blows on it, releasing a small cloud of dust.

“Somehow I doubt it.” He turns back to the bookshelves. “How are these organized?”

“Alphabetical order.”

“Hm. You reckon I could take a peek at some of his stuff? I’ve never read. A, B, …E. Hm. I don’t see anything by him here.”

“You know how artists are. He disowned his work as fast as he could churn it out. The creator’s curse, if you will.” The finder gestures to the desk. “Now, if you could be so kind as to—“

“Yeah, yeah.” The scruffy man walks over to the table, which is covered in congealed blood. Some papers are visible under the mess. He pokes at the body, lifts up the head. “Where’s his face?”

“All over the walls and floor, I’m assuming.”

“…Yeah.” Where the body’s face should be is a gaping wound. The flesh has been gouged away, the bone behind it caved in and shattered. A thin crust of grey matter covers everything.

The scruffy man does some poking and prodding, and looks over the desk.

“Say, do you know what the guy was working on when he got killed?”

“Not exactly, no. My job description is just to keep him out of trouble. I don’t really talk much with him myself.”

“The hell is that supposed to mean?”

“You could say I’m a kind of bodyguard. As one of the most famous poets in the city, he has many admirers and many enemies too.”

“No, I mean do you know what he was doing, or not? It’s a yes-or-no question.”

“He writes.” The scruffy man lifts up the papers on the desk. Some are stuck together, but the pages not at the top of the pile are still intact. They’re all blank.

“Somehow I doubt it.” He sniffs and turns to the window. “Well, at the very least it’s obvious he was shot.” He looks at the glass lying on the floor, leans out the window. “So let me get this straight: You think the killer leapt in through this window, killed our guy, and then leapt out as you arrived.” The finder nods. “Why go to all this trouble? He could have shot him in the street, at night on his way home from the bar, whatever he wanted. Why here, where the evidence will stay intact?”

“Well, you see, he usually doesn’t leave the house.”

The scruffy man raises his eyebrows. “The papers call him a real party animal.”

“All his parties were held here, in-house. He never left if he could help it.”

“Never heard of that part of the story.” The scruffy man looked around. “In fact, I’ve never heard of this place.”

“He was a very private man. A bit of a paradox. People were sworn to as much secrecy as could be bought.”

“Mm-hm.” The scruffy man turns and walks out of the study. The finder hurries after him.

“Where are you going?”

“I’ve heard and seen enough.”

“What do you mean? You haven’t found out who killed him!”

“Well, there isn’t an answer to that question.”

“Why not?”

“Because he’s not dead. Just gone.”

A short pause.

“Then who’s the dead guy?”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Stop.” The finder’s tone has changed—no more business, no more politeness. It’s steely. “I don’t have time for your bullshit. Get back in that room and figure out what happened or they’ll have my head.”

The scruffy man stops at the head of the stairs, inclines his head. “Who’s they?”

“The ones who sent you. The guys who own this place. The people who own everything in this city, idiot. Who else? They want to know who did this and why. I’m already in enough hot water as is, and I can’t have you going rogue on me.” All of a sudden there’s a gun in his hand.

“I already know who did this, if you really want to know,” mumbles the scruffy man. He scratches his head. “I just can’t seem to understand why.”

“Spit it out,” says the finder.

“It was you, of course. You and your mark.” The scruffy man takes a step down the stairs. The finder cocks the gun. The click of metal on metal echoes through the stairwell.

“You really think I wasn’t briefed before I was sent here? You think they are that stupid? You think they would be that careless about an insult like this? Jesus.” The scruffy man takes another step.

The finder says nothing.

“You aren’t his goddamn bodyguard. You’re his guard, alright—a prison guard. He gets to have his parties but can’t leave this house because you won’t let him. But you still pamper him, let him have his parties, let him have his books, because you need him to write. Because they love his writing.”

“His writing is phenomenal, yes” says the finder softly. His gun is still trained on the scruffy man’s head.

“But he got tired of being a caged bird, tired of being some kind of trinket for them. He decided to escape, get out of town.” Another step. “And that’s where you came in.”

“I don’t see your meaning.” Almost a whisper now. The gun gleams.

“I don’t know why but he somehow got your turned around into helping him. You grabbed some patsy off the street with the same build as your man, then turned him into oatmeal and put him down on the chair.”

“Then how do you explain the blood? Blood all over, and the body the source…”

A pause, another step. “Simple, really. You killed the patsy right here, in this room. He sat in this chair and you or your man killed him dead.”

A chuckle from the top of the stairs. “Rather brilliant of you. But what man would willingly sit for his own execution? I don’t see much reason in that.”

“Obvious. You told him to come into this room, but not to be killed. He had no idea about that. Probably it was to try and steal something from the desk drawers. Then while he was sitting in the chair, rifling through the drawers, you shot him.” Another step.

“But then explain the suit. Why would any would-be thief wear such an ungainly suit to a robbery? Surely not to fool the master of the house, who has so few visitors when not holding parties…”

“You just said it yourself. It was during a party. No one knows who you are. In the midst of it all you find someone with the same figure as your man…scratch that, you probably invited him specifically for his figure, and in the midst of the party slip him a few hundreds and tell him to go up to the study and take something from the drawers for you, pretend to be some rival writer or something, follow him up and shoot him dead.” The scruffy man turns on the stairs, ever so slowly, to face the finder. “Isn’t that right?”

The finder’s eyes flash, but his hands do not tremble. “A plausible scenario. But then, how did the partygoers not hear this gunshot?”

The scruffy man looks at the finder. “They…you hid it. Somehow” His eyes widen. “Or…you didn’t.”

“Whatever could you mean?”

“You gave yourself away. You said you were in the parlor watching the door when you heard shots. Shots. Plural. The man in the study has only one wound—the hole in his head. So then what happened to the other bullets?” The scruffy man looks stoic, but his eyes are troubled. “There’s only one possible conclusion.”

“And it is…?”

“You killed everyone at that party. No witnesses--”

The finder laughs. “Foolish. Say I went on a shooting spree to stop anyone from reporting the one shot in the study. What is to stop the neighbours from hearing those shots and reporting them? Surely a barrage of gunshots coming from the house next to yours is something to be concerned about?” With the light at the top of the stairs behind him his face is a void. The gun glints.

A bead of sweat works its way down the scruffy man’s forehead. “A simple matter to resolve should you invite everyone in the neighborhood to the party.”

The finder hisses. “Hmm…seems you have me cornered.” He trains the gun on the scruffy man. “Yes, I admit it! I held a party here on that day, and shot a man in the study, and then afterwards killed everyone else to remove all the witnesses! But pray tell,” he says, “before I end your pitiful life, how then, was that window broken?”

“There were a variety of ways you could have done it. After all, you had all the time in the world after you slaughtered all the neighbours. You could have thrown a rock from the outside, or any number of things. Just a poorly made distraction.”

“Ha-ha-ha, yes. Very poorly done, no match for one of your intellect…intriguing, very intriguing.” The finder licks his lips. “I’m having fun. Lots of fun. Are you?” No response from the scruffy man, whose eyes are locked on the gaping maw of the finder’s pistol. “Fine. One more question. How are you so sure the man I killed was not my man? Just tell me that and it will soon be over, all over…”

“Simple. First, the missing books on the bookshelves. The book’s spines were dusty but the covers weren’t. They’d been pushed about, to give the impression of being packed tightly together. And the blank pages on the desk, which you’d tried to disguise with the blood. He may have disowned his work like you said, but that didn’t mean he didn’t care about it. When you helped him split he took his most recent work and all his collections with him. Not to mention, on your own you don’t have any reason to kill him. All you had to do was do your job and watch him. So…what changed?”

“Clever, clever as always.” The finder takes a step down the stairs. His pistol moves with him. “Yes, you’re right. I did it all to help my master escape. At first, I was just some mere thug. Hired muscle, to protect and smother. But the most jagged of stones will become smooth when exposed to the constant drip of pure water. My master is a genius. An utter genius. He has broadened my mind. I would do, and have done, everything for him. His work cannot flourish under their oppressive grip, he made me realize that.” The finder stops. Suddenly, he takes his pistol and holds it butt-first out towards the scruffy man, who almost loses his composure at the shock. “If you have any more questions, you’ll need something to threaten me with, yes?”

The scruffy man takes the gun, with trembling hands. The finder grins widely.

A hollow bang rings through the house and the finder flies backwards, his head smashing against the top of the stairwell. A bloody hole has appeared in his stomach. He presses his hand on the wound and begins to laugh.

The scruffy man takes aim again when the finder holds up a hand in surrender. “Stop,” he wheezes. “I won’t trouble you any longer. Just let me thank you.”

“What?”

“You’ve played your part wonderfully, just like master said you would.”

“Explain yourself.”

“Ha…ha…ha. It’s like I said! My master is a genius. An utter genius. But…he is also a romantic, you see. That is what makes him so amazing. He understands the power of the pure idea. That is why I love him, and that is why they love him. He could have easily made this the perfect crime, set it up so that he would have been written off forever. But he didn’t want that, oh no. He wanted those who had known his work in life not to disrespect him in death. Because he wanted to send a message. He wanted people to know of his daring plan, of his ingenuity in opposing them. So he crafted flaws, minute yet obvious flaws, ones that would attract perfectly the kind of mind they would send for an incident like this.” A rattling cough. “This way, you found out and will tell them what happened here. They will understand that he defied them and escaped. The word will spread to the people, and they will value and revere my master and his work all the more for his courage. And you have also killed me. Me, the one who organized my master’s escape, who paid for his transport and the shipping of his belongings. Now, I the humble servant, will gain the quick death I deserve, and will rob them of a target to torture the whereabouts of my master out of.” He locks eyes with the scruffy man. “He knew you, you know. Knew you were the best. Knew you didn’t care much for them, that you were just doing your job. Knew you would kill me, out of disgust for what I had done.” His words are beginning to become garbled now, from the blood bubbling up from his throat. “You can’t call them here in time. I’ll be dead either way. You’d do best to shoot me again. Painless death is the least I can ask for. I let you live, after all.” The finder smiles, teeth stained a blood red.

The scruffy man looks down at the finder. His eyes are full of disgust…and maybe a hint of admiration.

“I’ll find him regardless. No matter what kind of genius he is. I’m the best they have. They’ll send for me again in a few days and tell me to hunt him down, your master. And I’ll be damned if I don’t.”

“Ha-ha-ha. He told me that you are perfectly welcome to try. Only you, though! Only you! He knows you better than anyone else. It is going to be so romantic-“

The finder’s head explodes in a shower of gore.

The scruffy man walks down to the kitchen and pours himself a shot of whiskey.

He takes a sip and shivers.

He heaves a great sigh and listens to the silence for a few minutes. It’s a very quiet neighbourhood, he thinks for a moment, and it is a wonder no one had reported the shots to the police before he had arrived here. Then he remembers and retches slightly.

He drinks in silence.

Then he reaches for the telephone.

Nobody had ever asked them for their political opinions, but elephants and donkeys alike, they were united on Sanders. Free tuition, they maintained, was the path to inclusion in society. Social mobility, champagne on yachts, the hope of being condescended to enough to be called... articulate. Since the publication of Animal Farm, it had been widely assumed that animals, especially the labourers, were as anti-communist as they came. Of course, the millennials among them felt differently.

Their forefathers had been the really lazy ones, dozing to The Beetles and mating freely, substituting nihilism for political activity; since hitting their majority, they'd been protesting as peacefully as possible behind the bars of their cages, but people had mostly just taken pictures of them and called it cute. So they'd gotten together and decided they couldn't deal with Clinton's hawkishness or Trump's hunting trips, and would vote for Sanders in the primaries this year.

Although, like many humans, they were accused of being animals and thrown out of voting booths, some did manage to register and vote, and these votes were generally discarded. They did manage to get attention, but only a short segment on CNN: Wolf Blitzer reporting on an unusual spate of electoral fraud in Southern California that both sides blamed on each other. Most people in Southern California had been too blazed to show up at all for the primaries, so the fact there were any votes submitted at all was what drew attention in the first place. 'It's not like we wanted a trophy for showing up,' they said, disgruntled.

The final insult came in the presidential run, when frogs were declared a white supremacist symbol. Unable to protest this misuse of their image, the frogs became largely excluded from all political activity by the lions, who had become rather cliqueish and taken more to factional warfare than getting anything done as a sign of concession to the electoral climate. Worse still, many cane toads were mistaken for frogs and, instead of receiving a noble death pre-dissection in the laboratory, they were designated as roadkill. Even those in California who had been huffing them turned their backs, disgusted and worried about the judgment of their Facebook friends, and began lacing their kale chips again.

Comfortingly, this story had no conclusion, which was poignant and meta, and allowed them to make quite a lot of vapid art about the terrible sameness of everything, and so the electoral campaign was deemed too bestial even for the beasts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)