Framerate/lag issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
The lag is actually quite bearable for me, so I'm guessing it's client lag.

Client lag is... difficult for me to fix. :(

For those of you experiencing severe lag issues: What sort of lag issues? Is it while clicking stuff? Does the whole interface freeze up? Or is it just in terms of the time between when you type something and when it shows up on-screen?

I've been using Firefox and have absolutely 0 lag on server, if that means anything at all. My laptop is like 7 years old.

I've been using FF, my laptop is less than 2 years old and it took me around 2 min to pick one move in a random battle.

Nothing else is lagging just ps, so it isn't my internet. I'm not a fan of this sim but I need it to play a tour and right now it is pretty much unusable for me.

it started a few days ago but the lag for me on PS! now is really reallllllly bad. as in i cant even stay online sometimes before getting a message that PS is unresponsive and to kill the page. im not sure what the problem is, everything else on my comp works at a great speed so I doubt the problem lies there.

im on google chrome and the basic gist of it is: clicking something takes around 12 seconds to actually respond (for example, say i want to find a battle, clicking the dropdown for the tier takes 12 secs, then picking the team i want to use is another 12-15, then it will say: Your turn, Make a Move! (or w/e) but nothing will be on my screen for a good 10 seconds.

the only thing that works at a decent speed is the team builder. clicking peoples matches to watch is also a pain because it lags when i click, usually meaning the match i wanted to watch is a dif location than where my mouse clicked after it finally registers.

I have been getting lag on ps as well. I have been using chrome for it. The lobby is very painful for me to use just to get to the format I want and pick a team to use for it assuming the page doesn't die on me. Team builder is another pain for me to use however I can navigate the builder just fine since the lag isn't as bad as the lobby's.

I don't have as much problems with the battles themselves but the lag I get on it makes the fight an eyesore just to watch. It is also bad that I got disconnected from the server because of the lag I had to forfeit since the lag also glitched the battle and made it impossible to continue.

From my experience, the whole interface lags whenever I connect to the site. The chat box only updates in approximately 30 second intervals. When I hover over a button, it will take at least 20 seconds for it to be highlighted, and even if I click on it then, it takes a while for the client to respond.

Though I'm probably wrong in assuming this, if you are hosting the server on your own computer, then wouldn't it be obvious that you wouldn't lag on your client assuming it was running on said computer as well?

Anyway, in short, I think the issue lies with the coding moreso than peoples' connection speeds. Like others have said above, Pokemon Showdown is the only site that I consistently lag on.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There were like 500+ users and the lag was terrible, but there's only 100+ users now everything is fine.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The main proponent to most of the lag experienced on PS (socket.io) has just been replaced (with sockJS) and much of the lag is expected to go away.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I only lag when the server itself is having problems (that is, the mods themselves say that the server is currently laggy and such), even when there's close to 800 users. I think most people's lag problems are due to old computers, bad connections or multiple processes (I could be way wrong though, it just seems that way to me).

I'm using Chrome, if anyone's interested.

Basically confirming what others said; using Firefox 13.01 on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin with no lag whatsoever (before the attack!). Framerates look as good as cart animations, so no complaints.

But, is there any mobile device in the world that can smoothly run "PS!"? Is there any development for pokemonshowdown.mobile?

Basically confirming what others said; using Firefox 13.01 on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin with no lag whatsoever (before the attack!). Framerates look as good as cart animations, so no complaints.

But, is there any mobile device in the world that can smoothly run "PS!"? Is there any development for pokemonshowdown.mobile?
iPhone's runs PS! Smoothly from my experience.

Locking this thread until lag is no longer a system-wide issue (we're trying to optimize for the new server. Stay tuned).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)