Fraxure (QC 3/3)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Fraxure the stud of spuds

[Overview]
  • babby haxorus destroys everything just as well in NU
  • strongest dragon available in NU by far; other dragons try to sit behind their bulk and set up, but this fucker just smashes anyway
  • 117 attack + dragon stab + good coverage is definitely something to fear
  • mold breaker is an awesome ability; it can ohko almost all sr setters with a choice band (regirock...) and can just taunt regi
  • can set up somewhat well on most defensive walls with good defensive typing + taunt
  • just barely fast enough to outrun swellow at +1
  • susceptible to revenge-killing
  • somewhat frail despite eviolite
  • an admittedly rare threat that can easily run over teams if they aren't prepared
  • some puns about outrage probably (outrageous!)
  • man it's been forever since i've written a skeleton

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Low Kick
move 3: Dragon Dance
move 4: Taunt / Substitute
item: Eviolite / Life Orb
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • sets up on every defensive wall in the tier, outrage + low kick gives it unresisted coverage
  • outrage is your general spam move, is fairly powerful even without a boost
  • low kick is really only for steel-types or fat fucks like lickilicky
  • taunt is preferable as stuff like amoonguss can still break subs; taunt also prevents leech seed, roar, whirlwind, etc
  • on the other hand, sub takes advantage of its cool defensive typing and prevents random status from moves like scald / body slam. also stops sucker punch revenge kills
  • eviolite gives you reliability and opportunities to set up, while LO is for pure power although it makes it significantly harder to do anything (for example: no investment amoonguss's sludge bomb 2HKOes while +1 fraxure doesn't KO in return, even with adamant)

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • standard ev spread, max attack / speed
  • jolly lets you get swellow at +1, adamant fraxure can't even catch base 110s at +1 so you're best using a spread like 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe, which gets you base 100s (adamant is fkn strong tho)
  • dragon claw is for weaklings but can be used i guess
  • aqua tail can be used to maintain decent coverage + hit golurk without having to rely on outrage, but generally low kick is the much more reliable move
  • swords dance
  • spikes support is amazing as fraxure forces a lot of switches + takes advantage of weakened mons well (also every steel-type is susceptible to spikes). cacturne + garbodor best options, maybe extra mention for omanyte for adorable factor
  • fraxure's awesome coverage and incredibly offensive nature makes it difficult to pick out partners to remove counters, since it doesn't really have any. better to use things that can take advantage of the havoc it creates
  • pairs very well with something that struggles to break through rock- and steel-types, like swellow; even with jolly + evio, fraxure 2HKOes regirock at +1 and can taunt to prevent SR from coming up ever
  • also works well with pkmn that struggle with tangela because it sets up all over it; thinking stuff like torterra / golurk / kanga / sawk, even though former two share ice weaks with frax
  • pkmns that resist ice are good, as are those that can deal with common revenge killers; samurott can handle ice-types and break down steels so it can spam outrage later, and the previously mentioned tort / lurk can handle rotom-s and other pokemon for scarfers idk
  • zangerse
  • steel killer probopass
  • gothitelle! traps and koes steels with hp fight / ground
  • other mons that are fun to use with it

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Aqua Tail
move 4: Dragon Claw / Dual Chop
item: Choice Band
ability: Mold Breaker
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • not too familiar with this set still, but whatevs
  • cb smash all, cb adamant outrage is incredible especially when steels are removed
  • does a chunk to tangela / alom / regi, but can't break through them as well without taunt
  • OHKOes all hazard sturdy setters sans carracosta
  • outrage is your primary spammy move
  • superpower is your strong coverage move
  • aqua tail is for those rare situations where you need the coverage of superpower but can't risk the -1 drops or you need to KO golurk but can't lock yourself into outrage
  • atail also ohkoes golem
  • dragon claw for weaker, non-locking, accurate stab
  • dual chop breaks subs but misses!

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • standard spread, jolly lets you outrun all emboar (fastboar best) as well as neutral samu / ludi and that's about it i think
  • bulk is for pussies (no seriously if you want bulk use shelgon)
  • low kick
  • pairs well with sr-weak mons since it can KO almost everything that sets rocks
  • also lures and does a ton of damage to your standard physical walls, meaning it pairs really well with stuff like sawk, swellow, zangoose, etc. zangoose in particular because zang can clear out the steels for frax, and frax can spam outrage on the stuff zangoose cant directly ohko like alom, tangela, amoong, etc
  • bring something to get rid of armaldo / regirock (powerful special attackers like special rott, ludicolo) if you plan on relying on fraxure to keep rocks away
  • really needs spikes support to get anything done (iirc a few layers of spikes lets you 2hko tang), as well as steels removed so you can just spam outrage
  • para support
  • trapper support (goth / probo)
  • volt switching / u-turning into frax gives it more opportunities to wreck shit since it's relatively frail without evio and still really slow

[Other Options]
  • dig 9.9
  • toxic
  • night slash
  • return
  • x-scissor
  • rivalry
  • dual chop for subs
  • sash
  • liechi / salac
  • endure
  • reversal
  • roar

[Checks and Counters]
  • ok it doesn't have very many of these at all
  • your standard physical walls like tangela are very shaky at best, especially if they don't carry hp ice; taunt prevents sleep powder / stun spore / spore / leech seed etc
  • much easier for offense to handle as it has many more options to revenge it since you really can't switch in
  • piloswine for ice priority tho it apparently gets donked by outrage
  • scarfers
  • status of all kinds
  • absol's sucker is incredibly strong
  • luring it into outrage and using a steel type is a strong way to kill it
  • gurdurr can tank even a +1 adamant lo outrage if it's at full HP and has access to ice punch + mach punch (it needs a bit of prior damage if it's an evio variant to be koed)
  • scarf ditter
  • mawile can intimidate + doesnt take shit from low kick
  • golbat walls
  • luxray can intimidate + tank a hit but uhhh doesn't do much back (does it get ice fang?)
  • articunoob mayB (reasonably fast mons can revenge the cb set, like ludicolo, samurott, simipour, cuno, etc)

yes to CB set, ive used it and is strong. Add priority from Absol to c&c, and status, Fraxure hates status. k its late must sleep will add more tomorrow

• Once Fraxure has locked itself into Outrage, Steel-types such as Probopass, Klang and Bastiodon all become good checks.
  • Dual Chop could probably mentioned somewhere (OO or AC) because it's useful for breaking Substitutes.
  • Focus Sash??? You don't have the "bulk" or the power that Eviolite and Life Orb give, but it gives Fraxure an opportunity to set up a Dragon Dance for free. Although it does leave Fraxure vulnerable to priority moves, and the popularity of Stealth Rock often breaks its Focus Sash. (OO/AC I guess?)
  • Tangela can take on Jolly Eviolite Fraxure, however it falls to Life Orb Adamant Fraxure. A shaky check at best.
  • Max/Max Piloswine is also 2HKO'd but it has Ice-type priority so that's all dandy
  • Choice Scarf Ditto can steal its boosts and sweep him back with Imposter
  • Use the word "Outrageous" somewhere :pimp:
  • I suppose Swellow can go in C&C as a shaky check, it outspeeds Adamant Fraxure, and if not, it has a decently strong priority move in Quick Attack
  • Salac Berry / Endure / Swords Dance a cool set for OO
  • Liechi Berry / Salac Berry

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^Keiran has got checks and counters covered nicely there. Also yes to CB set, its strong af.
Gothitelle as a partner. With Hp Fighting / Ground it can remove anything capable of taking an Outrage, and normally means Fraxure can sweep after one DD. Also removes Tangela / Amoonguss and Alomomola (apart from Shed Shell...)

I'll comment some more when you put up the CB set :)

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
CB set should definitely be a thing. I've mentioned it too many times in my analyses for it to not be a thing. ;_;

But yeah, it OHKOs all of the Sturdy setup leads apart from Carracosta, so it definitely fills that role well enough. Just have a special attacker that can beat Regirock / Armaldo, since they can be OHKO'd normally.

k I'm not tired now so I can give this a proper check

[overview]
  • I'd talk about how it is much more offensive than the other Dragons, as they usualyl play the role of a bulky booster, and Fraxure prefers to just smash.
  • Mention how BW2 gave it some huge buffs

[Dragon Dance set]
  • I don't think Adamant should be slashed, thats a lot of speed you lose, AC it
  • expand on teammates a bit, since Fraxure does a lot to stall, I think 4 attack Zangoose makes a good partner since Fraxure eases prediction for it.

[Choice Band]
  • Low kick in AC
  • teammates pls

[OO]
  • Swords Dance should be here instead of AC, since Fraxure needs the speed.
  • I agree with Keiran about Dual Chop
  • Fraxure has Reversal!
  • A support set is bad but Roar / Toxic / Dragon Claw might do something

[C&C]
  • Fraxure is really susceptible to status so id put that here
  • Ditto does well like Keiran said
  • MAWILE dgaf about Low Kick
  • Golbat can do quite a bit
  • Intimidate Luxray really weakens it
  • Gurdurr can tank a hit, Ice Punch then Mach Punch
  • Articuno can tank a +1 hit if its not LO

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I updated this according to all of your suggestions! Thanks, guys - it should be ready for final look-overs and QC checks now.

One question, though: Is it worth slashing Dual Chop on the last moveslot of the CB set?

I'm pretty sure Low Kick hits all the targets that Superpower does equally as hard. I'm thinking things like Regirock, Bastiodon, etc. maybe Klang is the only exception, but I think Low Kick is an easier move to spam repeatedly. Perhaps a slash is worthy?

Edit: I forgot, a mention of Lum Berry should be present in at least the OO for the Dragon Dance set.

jake

underdog of the year
I'm pretty sure Low Kick hits all the targets that Superpower does equally as hard. I'm thinking things like Regirock, Bastiodon, etc. maybe Klang is the only exception, but I think Low Kick is an easier move to spam repeatedly. Perhaps a slash is worthy?

Edit: I forgot, a mention of Lum Berry should be present in at least the OO for the Dragon Dance set.
I'll add both of these things. Thanks, Omi. :)

Thanks for the checks, guys! I'll get this written up soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)