1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Frigid Wrath (Hail OU team featuring Kyruem-B

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by superkyogre223, Dec 26, 2012.

1. superkyogre223

superkyogre223

Hello, this is my OU RMT. As you can tell from the title it is a hail team, and I have to used it to pretty good success. Anyway here's the team~

[​IMG]
    Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - Protect
    - Blizzard
    Abomasnow has a very important (albeit very obvious role) of setting up hail for the rest of the team. I chose the Sub-Seeder for the fact that it can severely damage basically all grass type who could other wise take the seeds. Also it's recovery and bulk lets it survive longer than other weather starters and win the weather war. EVs are standard Smogon EV's on Abomasnow's review. 248 HP EVs to round down SR, Spikes, and etc damage.

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Endeavor
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    Mamoswine is the SR setter for the team and my check to dragons. I used the Focus sash set so I can get up a near guaranteed SR. Also with endeavor I can stop any out of control sweeper's not behind a sub and let hail or ice shard take them out. Finally, EQ is for obvious powerful Stab. EV's are standard also, no need to explain. Adamant is used for maximum attack.

[​IMG]
    Kyurem-Best (Kyruem Black) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 116 Atk / 176 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Substitute
    - Blizzard
    - Outrage
    - Fusion Bolt
    Honestly, Kyruem-B is the reason this team exists. I really waned to try a mixed sub set in OU and I have to say it's worked amazingly well. Sub is basically the most important move as it allow's me to not get not get statused, which Kyruem-B is vulnerable to every one of them (not counting freeze). Blizzard is there to break through Ferrothorn which with the listed EV's & Nature it can always beat the most defensive Ferrothorn I believe. Last moves are standard no need to explain. Finally Spe EV's are used to out-speed max speed Adamant D-Nite. Rest is dumped into attack.

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Blizzard
    - Rapid Spin
    Starmie is my spinner of choice, as when running a hail team this is mandatory. Starmie was chosen for it's ability to beat most common OU Ghosts and also for it's very nice raw power with Life Orb. Hydro pump deal's extremely high amounts of damage to things that don't resist it (and aren't chansey or blissey) and is my Stab of choice. T-Bolt is for coverage, and Blizzard is also for coverage and to take advantage of the endless hail. Finally, rapid spin's purpose is obvious, to take away hazards which this team detests. Ev's & nature are standard and meant to give maximum offensive presence.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Thunder Wave
    - Spikes
    Ferrothorn is the two part of my defensive core and the other being Jellicent. Anyway, Ferro's role in the team is to spread paralysis which help's Kyruem Black immensely, as it is out-speed by many common poke's. Ferro also lay's down spikes for the team, increasing residual damage accumulated through hail, SR, spikes, and leech seed. Last slot is protect to scout choiced poke's and to gain leech seed recovery. Impish nature and EV's are distributed to physical attacks as well as possible.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    - Scald
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Recover
    Jellicent is the last member of the team and a very important one at that. His role is to keep entry hazards on the field and to wall some rain sweeper's that would otherwise be trouble EX: Keldeo, Tornadus-T. Taunt is to shut down defensive poke's and force them out most of the time. Scald and Will-O are too burn poke's that don't mind being paralyzed like Ferro and most defensive pokemons. Finally Recover is for well recovery. EV's and Nature are to Take Special hits as best as possible.

Thank you for reading my RMT and I hope you can help me improve this team.
    PS! Name: pokelord223 PO Name: Kaylon
  2. High Impulse

High Impulse

Hey there, this looks like quite a good team, so props to you for that.

Anyway, on to the rate.

So I have been looking at your team and I noticed 1 thing that could be really annoying to your team, and they are: Sun teams. You have nothing that can switch into a chlorophyll sweeper such as Venusaur. So to help with this, I suggest using a Specially Defensive Heatran > Jellicent , you already have a bulky water type, Starmie, and you need Starmie to spin and beat Deo-d teams. Also, I suggest using a bulkier Starmie set as with your current set, Hail + Life Orb will cause you to die a lot faster, and you won't be able to stick around long enough to Spin away hazards.

Sets
    Show Hide
    Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Roar
    - Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin

One more thing, if you do decide to try these changes, I suggest that you use a Life Orb Mamoswine.

Anyway, nice team, hope I helped!
  3. Alexander.

Alexander.
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hello there,

I have no so much to tell anyway let's start with the rate! First, I suggest you to change Blizzard into Ice Beam on Kyurem-B. Ice Beam can be used even if hail isn't up and it has more PP, however you don't lose so much fire power. Then, Starmie is a very important pokèmon for you team because it have to spin the entry hazards which are dangerous for your team, therefore I suggest you to change Starmie's EV spread into 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd and use Leftovers in place of Life Orb, too. This EV spread allows to spin the entry hazards more easily and to take better Keldeo's attacks which is a dangerous threat for your current team, especially the Calm Mind one. Finally, on Ferrothorn I suggest you to use Gyro Ball in place of Thunder Wave, your team doesn't need Thunder Wave support and Gyro Ball is useful to hit the dragon types which are quite problematics if Mamoswine dies. Hope I helped with this rate, gl.
  4. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

Hi SuperKyogre223.
    It is a very solid and very effective Stall Hail, ,a style of game that I like a lot but that is impossible in bw2 OU with big sweepers as Landorus-T(Landorus Sheer Force)/Tornadus-T/Thundurus-T/Keldeo..., then I see that your team is disadvantaged against Tornadus-T, Tornadus-T 2HKO Ferrothorn with Hurricane and Kyurem-B/Jellicent also, the opponent can switch if you put Abomasnow or Mamoswine. But I know that you want to keep Ferrothorn for Spikes and I see that you are very disadvantaged against Scizor Bander because even if Jellicent is a ghost-type Pokémon. It can not tank the Scizor Bander's Uturn correctly, it has 4 ev in defense, it is not enough (252 + Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Jellicent: 126-148 (31.18 - 36.63%) - guaranteed 4HKO) and if the opponent puts a grass or electric-type Pokémon it can force you to switch, and then after 4 Uturn (3 If Stealth Rock) Jellicent can not come to Tank ,I suggest you to Forretress on Ferrothorn , Forretress can come on Uturn's Scizor and can tank his attacks, then it is a good spinner and it is your only counter to Terrakion Bander, Mamoswine is outspeed and the opponent can anticipate focus sash, Jellicent is OHKO with Stealth Rock.

Forretress
    Show Hide
    Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    0 Ivs Speed
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes
    - Gyro Ball
    - Volt Switch

But now that you have a rapid spinnerr you can remove Starmie, I see that you are very disadvantage against Reuniclus because Kyurem-B cannot kill him with Outrage (116 Atk Kyurem - B contempt vs. 252 HP / 252 + Def Reuniclus: 192-226 (45.28 - 53.3%) - 0.39% chance to 2HKO)
    I suggest you to Jirachi Specially Defensiv, Jirachi is a good very good pokemon for your team, it can come on Reuniclus for paraliser + Flinch with Iron Head, then it is also a very good counter to Tornadus-T.

Jirachi
    Show Hide
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 216 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - U-turn/Protect
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Wish

And then for Jellicent I suggest you put this distribution for the Ev's
    because Jellicent Specially Defensive cannot Lucario tank if it has Crunch, now you can resist and use Will-O-Wisp.
    Tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Ferrothorn--->Forretress
    Starmie--->Jirachi

Jellicent--->EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef,Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

Hope I Helped and Good Luck with your team.
  5. Nova

Nova what i have done cannot be undone
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Hi superkyogre223

Welcome to Smogon! Nice hail team you have here, I really enjoy seeing people use this playstyle especially at this time of the year. Now looking at your team, a major threat to it is opposing Sun teams. Chlorophyll Venusaur, the most common Sun sweeper, outspeeds your entire team if sunlight is up and can pretty much run through it with his standard coverage of Giga Drain and Hidden Power [Fire]. Another threat to your team are Dragon Dance users such as Dragonite, Haxorus, and Salamence who also have the outspeed and take out your team after setting up a DD boost. Mamoswine handles both of these threats to a degree, but it seems as if you are running a designated lead set that is also filled with the task of setting up Stealth Rock. Mamoswine does not have the greatest bulk so once he's gone, you really have nothing to stop Sun and Dragon-types. For these threats, I recommend replacing Jellicent with a Specially Defensive Heatran with a moveset of Stealth Rock / Lava Plume / Earth Power / Roar and the item of choice being an Air Balloon. Heatran's great typing and Flash Fire ability make him one of the best checks to Sun teams being immune to Fire-type attacks and 4x resisting Grass. He is also able to resist Outrage and severely cripple DD users with a burn from Outrage. Air Balloon is a critical item to have on Heatran as it allows him to dodge Earthquake from the likes of the DD Dragons, the rare Earthquake from Venusaur, as well as avoid being trapped by Dugtrio. Earth Power is used to hit opposing Heatrans as well as Tyranitar and Terrakion and Roar is used to phaze out boosting sweepers and rack up some residual damage from entry hazards and hail.

Another threat to your team is Breloom. The only check you have to Breloom is Starmie who does not have the greatest bull and also is a shaky check with Blizzard if Hail is not active. Since you are now carrying Stealth Rock on Heatran, you no longer need the move on Mamoswine. To provide a better Breloom and Dragon type check, I recommend replacing your Endeavor Sash Mamoswine with a Life Orb Mamoswine with a moveset of Ice Shard / Icicle Spear / Earthquake / Superpower. LO greatly increases the mammoth's damage output and he has great coverage with the 4 listed attacks. Icicle Spear may seen strange in place of Icicle Crash but it's advantageous in that it has 100% accuracy and is a multihit attack that can deal with Pokemon behind Substitutes. A Jolly nature is required on this Mamoswine in order to outspeed opposing Jolly Brelooms and nail them with an Ice Shard before they can Mach Punch.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Sets:
    Show Hide
    Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    -Stealth Rock
    -Lava Plume
    -Earth Power
    -Roar

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    -Ice Shard
    -Icicle Spear
    -Earthquake
    -Superpower

tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Jellicent ----> Specially Defensive Heatran
    Endeavor Sash Mamoswine ----> Life Orb Mamoswine
  6. superkyogre223

superkyogre223

Hello, and thank you for taking time to comment.
    @Novaray & @High Impulse for your response on adding Heatran, I do believe I will and I think I'll use the set Heatran and I will use the set that has been suggested
    Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Roar
    - Will-O-Wisp
    Earth power was not chosen due to Mamoswine's already powerful EQ and I don't see a particularly amount of good coverage with it on Heatran. Protect was not due to no leftovers, air balloon was chosen to check EQ Vena, Common Sun Pokes, and dragons in the event of Mamoswine's fainting or removal

@Novaray & @A l e x a n d e r

I'll also take your advice for getting a more defensive Starmie but I'll improvise a bit with set's, Starmies coverage is extremely valuable and very important. Ice beam replaced Blizzard for some reliability outside hail. Leftovers for reasons stated.
    Starmie @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Scald
    - Thunderbolt
    - Psychic
    - Rapid Spin

@A l e x a n d e r on your Kyruem-Best suggestion I'll keep blizzard, as Kyruem-Best is meant to punch holes in the opponents.

@Leftiez I think I'll take your advice but replace Ferro with Rachi. Both spread para and Rachi Does well against Torn-T, also though spikes were useful didn't find my self using them that often. Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 216 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Protect
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Wish

And Last change (So many, but all were nice) @Novaray I shall replace Sash Mamo with LO Mamo. Icicle Spear was not used due to the fact of Crash's reliability and I don't see many significant threats that are typicaly behind a Sub that Icicle Spear would break, only one wuld be dnite with multi but hail breaks that
    Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    -Ice Shard
    -Icicle Spear
    -Earthquake
    -Superpower

@green gadgets, ok I wasn't aware of these damage calculations, thank you for sharing them. I'll keep blizzard & Fusion Bolt, as both heatran and SuperPower Mamo damage ferro very well, and while blizzard does not 2HKO as you have demonstrated it will still be used. Also Elec/Ice/Dragon coverage is extremely nice as it hits basically everything for neutral damage. Speed EV's were used for outspeeding Adamant Dragonite as stated in the review. Thanks again for the important damage calculations.

I have tested these changes and they seem to be working out very nicely, dragons are much less of a problem and Torn-T is loads easier to handle. Thank you all once again. (Sorry absolutely noob question how do I do those hide text things? I will edit once I know how to do these things. Tell me what you think of changes. Too drastic or good. Sorry about all these questions this is my first RMT.) Lastly anyone who wants to rate the team feel free to use the team.
  7. green gadgets

green gadgets

Sorry, but that's wrong. Kyurem-B needs HP Fire to 2OHKO Ferrothorn. With Blizzard you can only 3-4OHKO Ferrorthorn
    Show Hide
    176 SpAtk Kyurem-B (+SpAtk) Blizzard vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Ferrothorn (+SpDef) : 35,8% - 42,05%
    3-4 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

I would play it with this set

Outrage is even worse, only 5-6 hits to OHKO it.
    Show Hide
    116 Atk Kyurem-B Outrage vs 252 HP/4 Def Ferrothorn: 24,72% - 29,26%
    5-6 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Fusion Bolt is the worst case 10-13 hits to OHKO it
    Show Hide
    116 Atk Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs 252 HP/4 Def Ferrothorn: 13,64% - 16,19%
    10-13 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

But when we switches the Attacker with the Defender..
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball vs 0 HP/0 Def Kyurem-B: 78,26% - 92,84%
    2 hits to KO

Even with 0 Atk it is a 2OHKO on Kyurem-B.

You need Hidden Power Fire to 2OHKO it.
    Show Hide
    176 SpAtk Kyurem-B (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Fire vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Ferrothorn (+SpDef) : 55,68% - 65,91%
    2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

I would play it this way:

Kyurem-Best (Kyruem Black) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
    Naive Nature (+Spd / -SDef)

- Substitute
    - Blizzard
    - Outrage
    - Hidden Power Fire

You have the most Atk and SAtk who is possible and even outpace Breloom's Spore, Gliscor's Toxic and Scizor's Superpower. Scizor and Breloom are dangerous because there priority moves.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)