Frillish

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus

Name: Pururiru (プルリル)
National Dex Number: 592
Type: Water / Ghost
Abilities: Water Absorb - Restores up to 1/4 of the users HP when hit by a Water-type move, Cursed Body - 30% of inflicting the "disabled" status upon contact, Damp - Prevents Explosion and SelfDestruct from working (Dream World)
Egg Group: Indeterminate

Base Stats (Min - Max)
HP: 55 (20 - 25)
Attack: 40 (8 - 14)
Defense: 50 (9 - 15)
Special Attack: 65 (9 - 17)
Special Defense: 85 (11 - 19)
Speed: 40 (9 - 14)

Level Up moves:
Lv1: Bubble, Lv1: Water Sport, Lv5: Absorb, Lv9: Night Shade, Lv13: Bubblebeam, Lv17: Recover, Lv22: Water Pulse, Lv27: Ominous Wind, Lv32: Brine, Lv37: Rain Dance, Lv43: Evil Eye, Lv49: Hydro Pump, Lv55: Wring Out, Lv61: Water Spout

Egg Moves:
Acid Armor
Confuse Ray
Pain Split
Mist
Recover
Constrict

TMs and HMs:
TM06 - Toxic, TM07 - Hail, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM12 - Taunt, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM20 - Safeguard, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM29 - Psychic, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM32 - Double Team, TM34 - Hydro Wave, TM36 - Sludge Bomb, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM53 - Energy Ball, TM55 - Boiling Water, TM61 - Will-O-Wisp, TM70 - Flash, TM77 - Psych Up, TM85 - Dream Eater, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM92 - Trick Room, HM03 - Surf, HM05 - Waterfall, HM06 - Dive

If I were to allow one 5th Generation Pokemon back into 4th Generation Little Cup, Pururiru would be it. Pururiru's typing, movepool and stats make it look like it was made for Little Cup. The primary draw to Pururiru is its typing. In Little Cup, being a Water-type is always good, aside from having so much competition, and being a Ghost-type is always good too. Of course, being a Rock-type is good and so is being a Steel-type, and we saw what happened to Shieldon. But in Pururiru's case, the combination of typing is a huge blessing. It gets near unresisted STAB in Little Cup, which is awesome, but its the typing's defensive capabilities that make it shine. Being immune to Fake Out, ExtremeSpeed, Quick Attack, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave is great, but resisting Bullet Punch, Ice Shard and Aqua Jet as well? That's incredible. If it wasn't weak to Shadow Sneak, it could easily be called the "Anti-Priority Pokemon." Aside from things with Fast Guard, but i digress. It's typing also boasts useful resistances to Fire and Bug. But it does give Pururiru a dreaded weakness to Dark and now a horrifying weakness to Grass, which makes it Tsutarja bait. But while those weaknesses hurt, its typing is still nothing short of great.

But what about its stats? Are they good enough defensively to take advantage of its typing? Well, Base 55 HP and 50 Defense are only considered average. But Pururiru's base 85 Special Defense is fantastic. It should be able to shrug off most neutral special attacks fairly well with that Special Defense. Offensively, Pururiru's boasts an above average base 65 Special Attack and an okay base 40 Speed. Base 40 Speed allows it to reach 21 with Choice Scarf, which is considered the minimum Speed mark for a scarfer. It's stats are all around good, aside from its great Special Defense, but not amazing.

When it comes to movepool, Pururiru has a bushel of options. Recover, Boiling Water, Will-O-Wisp and Evil Eye make for a great defensive moveset. Evil Eye is a special attack that doubles in power if the foe has a status condition, making it a perfect move to use alongside Will-O-Wisp. And Pururiru isn't no slouch in the attacking department either. Shadow Ball, Surf, Energy Ball, Psychic, Hidden Power and the always adored Water Spout offer Pururiru many options for an attacking set. It can even use its lower-than-average Speed to its advantage with Trick Room. Lastly, it has Taunt, which is always a great move to have.

And when it comes to abilities, Pururiru shines once again. Damp may be utterly useless in singles (it's immune to Explosion and SelfDestruct), it's other abilities are not. Water Absorb is almost always the way to go. It gives Pururiru another fantastic immunity, along with an immunity to another priority move, and more opportunities to switch in. Cursed Body is a decent option as well, having a chance of utterly destroying a Choice Scarf user's lategame sweep.

Overall, Pururiru is a fantastic Pokemon. Excellent typing, decent stats, great movepool and fantastic abilities all add up to a welcome addition to Little Cup. Too much hype? No way. Duskull better step down, because this royal Pokemon has just taken the throne.

Sets:

Name: Defensive
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Item: Berry Juice
Ability: Water Absorb / Cursed Body
Nature: Calm
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Evil Eye
~ Recover
~ Boiling Water

Pururiru's best set. This set can take on pretty much every priority move bar Shadow Sneak. Worried about super-effective Sucker Punches? Burn them with Will-O-Wisp! When your opponent is burned, let loose with a powerful 100 base power Evil Eye. Use Recover to heal when you get the chance. Boiling Water is a great STAB move and gets excellent coverage with Evil Eye. It also comes with a nifty 30% chance of causing burn, making it even better to use with Evil Eye. The choice between Water Absorb and Cursed Body is completely up to preference.

Name: Choice Scarf
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Timid
~ Water Spout
~ Shadow Ball
~ Ice Beam
~ Energy Ball

This set is focused less on walling and more on sweeping lategame. A max power Water Spout coming off 15 Special Attack is going to put a dent in anything without Water Absorb and a 4x resist. When your HP is lower and Water Spout is weaker, use Shadow Ball for attacking. Ice Beam and Energy Ball are there for filler. Ice Beam hits pesky Flying-types like Ishibon who are immune to Shadow Ball. Energy Ball hits Rock-types if Water Spout's damage output is too low.

Name: Trick Room
EVs: EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpA
Item: Berry Juice
Ability: Water Absorb / Cursed Body
Nature: Quiet
~ Trick Room
~ Recover
~ Surf
~ Shadow Ball

And here Pururiru attempts to sweep and set up Trick Room. Use Recover to heal when you get the chance so Pururiru can keep supporting the team with Trick Room. Surf and Shadow Ball are your STAB moves and your tools for sweeping. Self-explanatory set, really.

Pururiru looks like it's going to be a very promising poke with very good versitility etc. However, it seems like it has a case of 'jack of all trades master of none.' It looks to me like It's most popular set may end up being the trick room one just because TR teams are always in need of pokemon to set trick room up and also sweep under it.

Pururiru looks like a very interesting pokemon. It pretty much boots Duskull out of it's place as special defensive ghost, and goes very well paired up with gligar. Water/Ghost is a fantastic typing, and with water absorb, it has a whopping three immunities, two of which are a great boon for a specially defensive pokemon. It gives munchlax a run for it's money for sure, being able to handle some physical threats that may want to switch in with boiling water.

I can definitely see a Gligar/Pururiru core being common place this generation in LC, as between the two, only ghost is a problematic attacking type, and they cover each other's weaknesses defensively, with purururin resisting ice and being immune to water with water absorb, and gligar handling pesky ground and electric typed moves.

I love how it resists all priority pretty much. That really helps this pokemon out. Fantastic design too! I think it'll be a pretty popular pokemon but of course as you said OP Tsutaja will most likely be prominent too.

Wahey!
If what Heysup says it true, about everything being unbanned, there'll be quite a bit of competition between this and Missy.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really love this thing. But as Kannon said, it doesn't really have that much of an advantage over anything EXCEPT for the defensive set, which is beaten by too many things.

i remember facing this thing ingame and having no idea what type it was, so i used jump kick and take down on it -_-

whoa, so LC's getting unbanned as well?

PRINCESS VS WITCH, BATTLE OF THE AGES

I'm dead serious, expecting epicness in LC.

Back on topic, while this ballooney thingy has the special defense to wall, she doesn't really pack enough punch. Unlike the witch (Missy) who has 80 base SpA (CMIW), the princess' SpA is mediocre and is unlikely that she will be dealing major damage. The princess though, has better resistances and almost perfect coverage with her dual STABs. Her problem is that she is weak to the prince (smugleaf lol. why am I doing this) with his perverse leaf storm. The likeliness of the prince raping the princess itself presents the princess a stiff competition from the witch. So, will the princess prevail, or will the perversity of the prince allow the witch to rise back to the top? Only time will tell.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is one of the more promising Pokemon I've seen this generation. While it does have issues taking over MissyD's spot as top Ghost-type, it can easily show up in double Ghost teams, thanks to it's wonderful typing and defensive stat distribution. As previously said this thing will easily become the premier defensive Ghost-type in Little Cup, especially with Recover. Unfortunately, it won't be able to shine all that much in a metagame without bans.

Why don't you run Pre Evolution Stone over Berry Juice to make it sturdier? It multiplies its Def and SpDef by 1.5 and it has Recover to heal back its health.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
The pro's for having Willowisp and Boiling Water on the same set are what now?
So it can burn the both opponents with Sucker Punch and Taunt, but I personally wouldn't run both on the same set. How about Confuse Ray instead of one of WoW or Boiling Water? With a little luck, it could shut down your opponent, or at least it could force a switch.

Edit: Maybe Swagger would work on the Recover set, but that is extremely hit-or-miss. I play for fun, though.

Dracoyoshi8 said:
...a horrifying weakness to Grass, making it Tsutarja bait.
Do I smell Shikijika partnering up? With Herbivore, Leaf Storm is useless, and most fire types are taken with ease by Pururiru.
Just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)