XY OU From the Depths - Bulky Offense (Peaked at 1909, #16)

From the Depths - Bulky Offense (Peaked at 1909, #16)

From the depths of 5th gen NU crawled out Pinsir.. battered and defiant. For his determination, he was awarded another chance by lord Arceus.. another chance to leave its mark in OU.

“M’lord, I swear on my life that I’ll fight to the death for you with my new form.” He said..

Proof:

Introduction

Changes in red

Most people know me as Ant / Anttya. I hang out mostly in the Monotype Room, or in Frost. I play a lot of Monotype, but I've always enjoyed almost every single tier (I'm hopeless at Doubles..) and I've always been a cuteness over viability person which is why I'm using stuff like Breloom. I started playing competitive near the end of BW2 and I'm proud to say, I've improved a lot. :)
No more Stalling, I present to you, welcome to From the Depths a XY Bulky Offense team!​

Team Building Process

As you already know, this team is revolved around Pinsir. Arielate is the hidden gem. With it, it makes Pinsir a brilliant late game sweeper.

The second Pokemon that I decided to add on was Breloom. There is no reason why, Breloom just happened to be Pinsir’s bff.

It was then when I noticed that I had a crippling Fire and Flying weakness (a.k.a Talonflame) and I looked for a sufficient counter to it, and Tyranitar was the answer. Tyranitar’s second purpose is to hunt and kill the Lati twins who outspeed Pinsir.

I was pretty worried about was Mawile and Bisharp. Their STABs can pretty much wreck my current team, I eventually decided on Heatran. With max investment in the physical spectrum, Heatran can tank all of their moves with pleasure. It also patches up my Fire weakness.

The next issue was Stall. Now that stall became popular again I needed something that had the power to break through walls, and be able to cripple them at the same time. Latios was perfect. It has Psyshock for special walls and Draco Meteor for physical ones.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I need a Defogger right? Isn’t this why Mandibuzz got moved from NU to OU? Well, that’s why I’m completely dissing Mandibuzz and getting Zapdos instead. Why? Well, Zapdos looks cool, gets Defog, is decently fast, has a usable HP Ice that will fuck Gliscor up which happens to counter my team with Toxic stall. It also has enough bulk to win a fight against Bisharp.

After a lot of testing Zapdos just didn't do as well as I hoped. Yeah, he was a great Defogger and all, but Zapdos was just too much of a Charizard X lure. I still needed some form of hazard support so I tried Sand Rush Excadrill. With its increased speed, it can easily take advantage of Tyranitar's sand and revenge kill set up sweepers and spin pretty easily with its Steel typing.

After even more testing, Excadrill started to become more and more useless. Not only that, Excadrill's Ground / Fighting weakness was too much for my team to handle which is why I brought back Zapdos. RIP Mole-ster

An In-Depth Look <- Ha

The Beetle who didn’t give up

Hedge Clippers (Pinsir) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Return
- Swords Dance

EV Explanation

Standard stuff. The Jolly nature is chosen over Adamant because I want to outspeed the ever common base 100s. Although I lose some 2HKOs because of it, it doesn’t matter that much when you have the support. Moxie is chosen over the other abilities because I can revenge kill with Quick Attack and get a free +1 :] Also, CC over Earthquake because it hits Skarmory and Rotom-W unlike Earthquake.​

The Sweeper: Get +2, then proceed to sweep. Ggwp

Skarmory: Gets handled by pretty much my whole entire team.
Aegislash: Screw you
Zapdos: I have my own, and T-tar can Pursuit Trap / Stone Edge it
Rotom-W: Latios spams Draco / Psyshock
Landorus-T: I’d send Heatran to scout if it’s scarf, then send out Zapdos for the obvious Eq / Rocks / U-turn if it isn’t. Although +2 after Intimidate 1HKOs Landorus-T.
Gyarados / Mega Gyarados: Same thing. I 1HKO after Intimidate. If they want to switch out, then switch back in, you can just Swords Dance again.
Defensive Mega Scizor: It lives one Return, but it can’t really do anything in return. <- Ha Puns
Mamoswine: Ice Shard does around 60% with Life Orb. But Return 1HKOs.

Synergy:

- Breloom, (Choiced) Heatran
- Heatran, Tyranitar, Latios
- Heatran, Tyranitar, Zapdos
- Don’t Mega, (Special) Tyranitar, Heatran
- Don’t Mega, (Special) Tyranitar, (Physical) Heatran, Breloom, Latios

The Mushroom

Shroomz (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

EV / Move Explanation

The EV choice is self explanatory: Max speed, so I can put anything slower asleep and max attack so I can sweep easier. Obviously I used Technician over Poison Heal because of my set. Bullet Seed is to patch up my water weakness, and Mach Punch is for priority spam. Swords Dance lets Breloom be a late game sweeper like Pinsir.​

The Sporer: With maximum speed Breloom can outspeed slower leads and put them to sleep, giving me a chance to either set up a Swords Dance or switch to someone else. Although Spore was nerfed, Latios can easily handle the common Grass switch ins with Psyshock and Hidden Power Fire.

Ferrothorn (Latios, Heatran, Tyranitar and Pinsir) Heatran and Tyranitar don’t mind a Thunder wave but Tyranitar doesn’t like Power Whip.
Celebi (Heatran, Tyranitar, Pinsir) Heatran doesn’t mind Celebi at all, it can set up rocks and phase Celebi out if it tries to set up on it. Pinsir needs a safe switch in but it can 1HKO Celebi easily.)
Breloom (Zapdos, Latios, Pinsir) Me, being the stupid idiot uses Bullet Seed on the opposing Breloom and hope it hits 5 times, if it doesn’t, then hope that I win the speed tie for Mach Punch. Zapdos can take a Bullet Seed decently but it’s more of a check. Latios can take a Mach Punch before killing it but it’d still do a decent amount. Pinsir, once again needs a safe switch in (Rock Tomb)
Mandibuzz (Zapdos, Heatran) If I see a Mandibuzz, I would still lead out with Breloom but switch out to Zapdos to take the Foul Play / Brave Bird / Knock Off. Heatran and Mandibuzz is a stalemate since Mandibuzz can Defog my rocks and its attacks won’t do anything to Heatran. All I can do is burn it to somewhat cripple it. I win the stall war if Heatran’s currently carrying Toxic.
Overcoat Forretress- Seriously, who would use that? I do, I mean what

The Sweeper / Wall Breaker: Breloom makes an excellent priority sweeper with its Technician Mach Punch. It also rips apart many common walls like Chansey and Rotom-W who happen to be weak to Breloom’s STABs, how convenient. Breloom can also handle the ever present Rotom-W + Scizor core pretty well (Put one to sleep, and proceed to set up Sword Dances before severely damaging them both. Or just switch into Heatran).

Skarmory (Heatran, Zapdos, Tyranitar, and Latios) Heatran threatens Skarmory out with Lava Plume letting me set up rocks pretty easily. Zapdos can Defog anything that Skarmory sets down while killing it with Thunderbolt. Skarmory can’t do much to Tyranitar but Tyranitar can 2HKO it with Fire Blast. Latios can Trick Skarm or kill it with HP Fire.
Talonflame (Heatran, Tyranitar, Zapdos) Funny how I added these 3 Pokemon just for that bird. Heatran resists every move Talonflame carries ~~except if you’re that one guy who uses Fighting Natural Gift.~~ Set up Rocks then Roar it out if it’s setting up. Tyranitar’s purpose is to Pursuit trap Talonflame. It takes minimal damage from Brave Bird and Flare Blitz and it counters back with Stone Edge or Pursuit. However, a Banded U-turn does quite a lot. Zapdos is more of a U-turn absorber if Heatran’s dead but it can tank a banded Flare Blitz and kill it with Thunderbolt.
Mega Pinsir (Zapdos, Latios, Mega Pinsir) If this thing gets +2 then something is going to die. Zapdos can tank a +2 Return / Close Combat if it’s healthy enough and retaliate back with Thunderbolt. Latios isn’t really a counter since it can’t take a Return but it outspeeds Pinsir and has enough bulk to live a Quick Attack. Pinsir is my last hope. Teambuilder recommends Max HP and Attack but I run max speed for opposing Pinsirs.
Aegislash (Heatran, Tyranitar) Well, I can’t really do anything here except to put it to sleep and switch into Heatran or Tyranitar. But if I have to, I’ll Bullet Seed it when it’s in its Blade form. Tyranitar hates Sacred Sword.
Thundurus (Tyranitar, Latios, Zapdos) Basically, I pray it doesn’t have Focus Blast. Tyranitar can tank a Focus Blast but it’s pretty much crippled (~52-63%). If it gets +2 then prepare to be swept :) A healthy Latios can barely live an Hp Ice from Leftovers Thundurus then kill it with Psyshock or Draco Meteor but Life Orb variants will 1HKO. Same with Zapdos, non Life Orb variants will do around 80-90%.
Volcarona (Heatran, Pinsir) Heatran walls Volcarona to death, end of story. But if Heatran dies for some reason then Pinsir can kill it with Quick Attack and hopefully it doesn’t get burned.

The Bait: This may sound weird, but Breloom is one of the best baits available. It lures in tons of Psychic types (and Talonflames) for Tyranitar to Pursuit trap. Latios, which would otherwise have a field day with my team is quickly taken care of with a single Pursuit, and with Tyranitar’s Sp Def he won’t feel a thing.

Latios and Latias - Tyranitar kills them both Ezpz, although I have seen Earthquake on Latios which does do a decent amount.
Starmie - Life Orb Surf does a decent amount, but most people switch out giving T-tar an easy kill.
Greninja - Does a decent amount with U-turn but Tyranitar damages it beyond repair with Pursuit
Celebi - I haven’t seen a lot of it, but Pursuit tells me if it’s specially or physically defensive. If it Baton Passes, then whatever comes in gets a nice Crunch
Deoxys D - Crunch does around 70% but it doesn’t switch out most of the time.
Deoxys S - Please, send it back to Ubers. Too diverse for me. Super Power for Heatran and Tyranitar. Psycho Boost for Zapdos, Pinsir, Breloom and lets not forget Ice Beam which hits Latios <3 My best counter would be a healthy Heatran since it has more than enough defense to tank a Superpower.
Alakazam - Tyranitar kills it ezpz, Focus Blast doesn’t do that much unboosted.
Landorus-T - I stay in to see if it’s scarfed or not. If it isn’t scarf then I should most likely go first and if it is scarf then I have a plethora of Pokemon that can wall it (hopefully).
Landorus - A slight problem since Tyranitar’s sand boosts its attacks. It can live a Focus Blast 90%+ of the time but if there’s rocks... Latios would be the best switch in since it’s immune to its STAB and HP Ice doesn’t do too much.
Dragonite - Eh, just put it to sleep and send in Tyranitar to break Multiscale, or send in Zapdos if it’s already broken.
Mega Gardevoir - Annoying as fuck, but Tyranitar can live a Hyper Voice and kill it with a Stone Edge. Otherwise, it’s going to be a problem. Heatran can easily live a Hyper Voice but Focus Blast hurts :[

Synergy:

- Heatran, Tyranitar, Zapdos
- Heatran, Tyranitar, Latios
- Heatran, (Special) Tyranitar
- Heatran
- Heatran, Latios, Tyranitar

The Dinosawr

Godzilla (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

EV / Move Explanation

Tyranitar’s role is to trap and kill special attackers. Nothing else (hopefully). After some calcs, I discovered that Max Sp Def is more beneficial than max HP which is why I invested in Special Defense instead. Although Tyranitar is made to be a sponge, I still wanted it to be strong thus explaining the nature and the max Attack EVs. The 8 Spd is the usual speed creep. The first 3 moves are self explanatory, but Fire Blast is for Skarmory and Ferrothorns. If they try to to set hazards, they get 2HKOed.​

The Trapper: Tyranitar is one of the best Pursuit trappers for a reason. It has above average defenses, which are increased by sand and its Assault Vest. Also, it gets STAB Pursuit which is a nice bonus.

Whatever Breloom lures in.

The Tank: Sandstorm + an Assault Vest lets Tyranitar boost its Special Defense even more letting it tank special attacks with ease. It also acts like a pivot since Tyranitar forces many switches letting me either Pursuit it, or just go into a counter of my own.

Psychical Attackers (Heatran, Zapdos, Pinsir) Without investment, Tyranitar is a lot frailer on its physical side making it frail to U-turn, Earthquake and a plethora of other moves. Heatran acts as an U-turn absorber but it can’t take a STAB Earthquake. Zapdos is also an U-turn absorber but it’s also immune to Ground, and resistant to Fighting. Pinsir is for Conkeldurr who is diverse enough to hit the other 2 super effectively. It can take anything except for a Stone Edge and retaliate with Return or just set up a Swords Dance.

STAB Super Effective Moves (Special) - Tyranitar is bulky, but w/o recovery it gets worn out fast. Life Orb Greninja and Starmie all do a decent amount to Tyranitar and Greninja gets the STAB U-Turn (Tyranitar can tank uninvested U-turns pretty well and Pursuit it.)

Mixed Movesets - I guess Pursuit Tyranitar’s the reason why some Latios’s carry Earthquake, but mixed Pokemon that are meant to break through walls (Infernape with Close Combat + Focus Blast stuff) can easily kill with the surprise factor. Another example would be Aegislash- I would switch into a Shadow Ball and get hit with a Sacred Sword the next turn.

Assorted Fighting Types - Zapdos, Latios, and Pinsir keep them in check most of the time.

Synergy:

- Latios, Pinsir, Zapdos
- Breloom, Latios, Pinsir, Zapdos
- Breloom, Latios
- Heatran, Breloom, Latios, Pinsir, Zapdos
- Heatran, Mega Pinsir, Zapdos
- Heatran, (Special) Tyranitar, Excadrill
- Heatran, Zapdos

The Fiery Spider Thing

Vulcan (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Toxic
- Roar / Protect
- Stealth Rock

EV Stuffs

My team is hurt pretty badly by Mawile, so I found a solution to it. Combined with its Physical investment and Roar, Mawile can’t touch Heatran if played correctly. Except if you’re that person who runs Focus Punch Mawile :\ The 8 Speed is to speed creep other Heatrans and 2HKO them with Earth Power.​

The Wall: Heatran loves those Play Roughs from Mawile and hitting back with a near fatal Lava Plume. If I get the burn, then that’s even better. Basically, Heatran’s job is to absorb hits, burn stuff, Roar anything that tries to set up, and get dem rocks.

Fighting / Ground Types: (Zapdos, Pinsir, Latios) It doesn’t matter how much investment you’ve got when you’re facing a pissed off Garchomp. The Tyranitar and Heatran duo are hurt pretty badly by these 2 move types.
Water Moves: Not much of an excuse, but I use Breloom to absorb them before scaring them out with a Bullet Seed or a Spore. Zapdos does a decent job as well since a majority of Water types don’t like a Thunderbolt. There are also times where I send in Latios to take hits before threatening it out with a Draco Meteor / Psychock. It all depends on the situation at hand.

Setup mons: RAWR BBY RAWR

The Rocker: Heatran is able to force a lot of switches since they’re scared of being burnt by Lava Plume. Also, if I’m carrying Toxic instead of Earth Power, I can Toxic stall every Defogger out there.

Mandibuzz: Toxic it, you may lose your item but resistance to Brave Bird, and Immunity to Toxic is great.
Charizard: Uh, this isn’t Monotype. If you are one of those people, then the set is most likely Fire Blast / Flamethrower, Solar Beam, Roost, and Defog. No worries there. If they carry Focus Blast then Latios can easily switch in.
Dragonite: I give up on OU :[
Latias: Toxic Spam it. If you don’t have Toxic, then you still win the stall war. Defog Latias’s carry Hp Fire and Draco Meteor.. 90% of the time. (Not responsible if you get swept by an offensive Defog Latias with Surf)
Latios: Same thing applies. I’d just switch into Tyranitar regardless of set and Pursuit trap it.
Scizor: Rofl, who wants a Lava Plume.
Togekiss: Hopefully you Toxic it before it para flinches you to death. If they decide to Superpower, then Heatran takes it fairly well and kills it with Lava Plume.
Zapdos: Toxic it / Lava Plume spam it until it gets burnt. Or you can just switch into Tyranitar to Pursuit trap it / Stone Edge it.

Anti-Heatran: Opposing Heatran’s give me trouble, so I went through the trouble of giving mine Earth Power and a Speed Creep. My Heatran will end up being bruised, but I’ll end up winning the Earth Power war if I go first.

That moment when you see a offensive Heatran high in the ladder... Then again, I can’t complain since I’m using an offensive Zapdos. #TheStrugs

Synergy:

- Pinsir, Breloom, Zapdos
- Pinsir, Latios, Zapdos
- Breloom, Latios

The Airplane

Delta Airlines (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 12 SDef / 244 Spd
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

EV Explanation

Standard Latios EVs. I chose Timid instead of Modest because I wanted to outspeed max speed Keldeos. Draco + Psyshock for STAB, and HP Fire for Steel Types that get lured in.​

The Lure: Latios lures a lot of bulky stuff. If you predict carefully, you can easily trick a choice item and cripple their support mon. Although Draco does a clean 60% (~80% to Bisharp) to Scizor, I’d prefer to kill it on the switch to avoid being Pursuit trapped (Or give it the advantage with U-turn). Thus explaining HP Fire as my last move.

Mega Gardevoir: Now that Aegislash is banished to Ubers, Mega Gardevoir seems to be the prime Latios check. Although Psyshock 2HKOs, if I end up Draco Meteoring I end up losing something. Esp if it carries Focus Blast. Otherwise, I rely on Heatran, Tyranitar and Pinsir to kill Gardevoir.
Heatran: Since I don’t carry Surf, Heatran is free to Toxic / Set up rocks. Tricking Heatran could be a good play since I have my own to absorb Lava Plumes but it all depends on the situation.
Tyranitar: Pursuit / Set up bait :[ However, you can always double switch into Breloom..
Mawile: Gets 1HKOed by HP Fire if it hasn’t mega evolved yet. Otherwise, it gets 2HKOed. If I predict a Sucker Punch then I just switch in Heatran.

The Wallbreaker: Specs Latios is no joke. Draco Meteor hits even harder with that 1.5 boost making Latios an effective wallbreaker. Boosted in Physical Defense? No problem when you have STAB Psyshock to spam. And the best part is that if you expect a healing move, just trick them your item.

Chansey / Blissey: Y u gotta be in OU. Psyshock fails to 2HKO Physical Chansey, but it can 2HKO Blissey. If Chansey’s going to prevent me from sweeping, I’d just Trick something. If I can’t, then Heatran walls Toxic Chansey variants pretty well.

Nothing else avoids a 2HKO from the right move :]

Checking everything that could possibly ruin my day: #BestTitle2014. Anyways, not a lot to explain there. It checks Infernape and Keldeo, and outspeeds everything else bar Greninja.

Greninja: Duh
Thundurus: Latios can kill it at the cost of being paraed by T-wave. Latios also needs to be pretty healthy to sponge a HP Ice.
Random Scarfed Mon:
Admit it, that gets everyone every once in a while.

Synergy:

- Heatran, Pinsir, Zapdos
- Tyranitar
- Heatran, (Special) Tyranitar, Excadrill
- Breloom, Pinsir,(Physical), Heatran, Tyranitar
- Heatran, (Garchomp, Excadrill

Big Bird :D

Gangster Stork (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 220 HP / 36 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

EV Explanation

Zapdos has a pretty.. interesting EV spread. Mostly because it’s a offensive support mon that’s not named Latios. It also has a weird 36 speed that allows it to outspeed Gliscor and KO it with Hidden Power Ice which would otherwise screw my team over. Modest HP Ice lets me outspeed and kill Landos who think they can set up rocks on me. The rest of the EVs I dumped into HP. Surprisingly, Zapdos can live a lot of things at full health, including a +1 Ice Fang from a Mega Gyarados / +1 Dragon Claw from an Adamant Charizard X (Not that it’d too much back anyways)​

The Defogger: Every team needs some sort of hazard control and I chose Zapdos for 3 reasons.

1. It says Screw you to Pinsir and Keldeo
2. It’s immune to Ground moves / resistant to Fighting moves
3. I could name it Gangster Stork.

The Lure: Come here Bisharp, I have candy :]
Every Bisharp is genetically attracted to Defoggers. Zapdos rejects him the hard way.

-252+ SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 211-249 (77.5 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, Zapdos attracts a lot of Ground Rockers and an odd Poisoness Scorpion who think they can scare away Zapdos with their big rocks. Lolno

-252+ SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 340-400 (106.2 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-252+ SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 320-380 (89.3 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Rip

Also, Keldeo which would otherwise wreck my team is kept in check by Zapdos / Latios.

Synergy:

- Breloom, (Choiced) Heatran

Cool replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ou-411839 An awesome replay against a stall team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-162066032 A replay against an HO team. A little hax, but you can see how the team works.

More to come If I remember to save them

Threat List

Conkeldurr - I’m not kidding, this thing is way too versatile. A buffed Knock Off for Latios, Drain Punch for Heatran, and Tyranitar, Ice Punch for Zapdos and Breloom. (Normal) Pinsir is my counter, but then there’s Skarmory to deal with.

Life Orb Greninja - Diverse, and gets STAB on everything. It’s also faster than my whole entire team and since Heatran’s Physically Defensive he can’t take multiple Surfs / Hydro Pumps. Tyranitar can take a water move (and hopefully not get burnt with Scald) and try to Pursuit trap Greninja, but if my team’s weakened (or if it carries Shadow Sneak) it’s going to be swept.

Mega Medicham - Plz ban, 2 OP. Fake Out, High Jump Kick, Ice Punch, Bullet Punch, Psycho Cut, Gg. I cri

Mamoswine - Honestly, that thing is a threat late game. It outspeeds Breloom and is able to take it out with an Ice Shard if Breloom’s weak enough. My only checks to this are a healthy Latios and Breloom, and maybe Pinsir if it hasn’t mega evolved.

Gardevoir w/ Focus Blast - RIP Smogon Sord, RIP Stall :’(

Anyways, it’s only trouble when Pinsir hasn’t Mega evolved yet. Sets that lack Focus Blast are walled by Heatran, and Tyranitar can live a Hyper Voice pretty easily.

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 162-192 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 78.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 224-264 (65.6 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Setup Mons- The fact that I don’t have a scarfer means that I have a hard time stopping them. However, a combo of Quick Attack, Mach Punch and Sandstorm is normally enough to KO them.

Max Speed Landorus-T - They aren’t that much trouble. But they generally surprise me when they outspeed Zapdos and U-turn out.. Although, since they carry Speed instead of HP it means that they’re more weak to Pinsir.

Thundurus - Broken, have you seen this thing sweep with Nasty Plot? It has perfect coverage to sweep with, barely outspeeds Latios (which is the fastest thing on my team), and gets priority Thunder Wave letting it be both a supporter and a sweeper. Thunderbolt for Pinsir, Zapdos, Hidden Power Ice for Breloom and Latios and Focus Blast for Heatran and Tyranitar. It also resists Mach Punch and (Aerilate) Quick Attack.

Charizard X w/ Earthquake - When this thing gets +1, I either predict carefully and still lose half of my team or just get plain outright swept. The problem with Charizard is that I don’t know if it’s X or Y. I can counter Y easily with Tyranitar / Latios but I often switch it in and see a Charizard X setting a Dragon Dance in my face before wrecking everything with Earthquake.

~ A moment of silence for those who didn't make it to this day ~

The Ever Spinning Top

Excadrill (Ballerina Prodigy) (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin​

EV / Move Explanation

Rapid Spin is self explanatory. Earthquake is for STAB, Iron Head is for hitting Fairies like Togekiss who’d love to exploit its immunity to Earthquake. Rock Slide is for Talonflame and other Flying types like Zapdos. EVs are standard for a sweeper. Adamant is chosen over Jolly because Excadrill doesn’t need the extra speed in sand.

The Spinner

Excadrill has a decent 88 speed and a scary attack stat thus making it a great offensive spinner.

Bisharp:
Excadrill takes a Sucker Punch pretty well since lead Bisharps are generally sashed. I can EQ Bisharp and bring it to sash, then Rapid Spin.
Diance: For once, Iron Head is used over Earthquake. Ha, Diance doesn't stand a chance. (Go back to UU!)
Garchomp:
In all honestly, I’m better off letting somebody else deal with it. However, if I must Rapid Spin, I can easily do it if I have my balloon intact.
Ferrothorn:
It can’t do much to it with Iron Barbs and everything. Heatran can easily deal with Ferro tho.
Gliscor:
Like Possibility said, Gliscor can’t touch Balloon Excadrills unless if they carry Knock Off.
Heatran:
Fears a Lava Plume, but Earthquake demolishes it. Immunity to Earth Power and Toxic are added bonuses
Hippowdon:
Can’t touch me unless if it carries something besides EQ. Kind of a standstill since I can’t do much in return.
Landorus-T:
Landorus wins because of Intimidate. Stone Edge / Knock Off can break the balloon before Earthquaking.
Mamoswine:
I win this one as long as I don’t switch into a Superpower. Sash may be a pain tho.
Shuckle:
IRON HEAD IT :D Gotta love Toxic immunity!
Skarmory:
I have a concerning love hate relationship with this.. thing. Maybe I should see a doctor about this. Anyways, Heatran can generally threaten Skarmory out with a Lava Plume.
Terrakion:
I can beat this if I have Sandstorm behind me. W/o it.. then no way.
Tyranitar:
Thanks, I’ll take your Sandstorm and use it against you :] How does an Earthquake to the face sound?

The Sweeper

With sandstorm, Excadrill can reach a stunning 550 speed with a neutral nature. With that, it can easily outspeed most of OU’s set up threats like Charizard and Tyranitar. Since I don’t have Smooth Rock on Tyranitar, Swords Dance isn’t the best option. However, Excadrill can sweep late game along with Pinsir.

Synergy:

- Latios, Pinsir
- Latios, Breloom
- Balloon, Latios, Mega Pinsir, Breloom
- Heatran, Tyranitar, Latias

Past Threats!
(Cuz we 2 gud 4 u)

Thundurus - Broken, have you seen this thing sweep with Nasty Plot? It has perfect coverage to sweep with, barely outspeeds Latios (which is the fastest thing on my team), and gets priority Thunder Wave letting it be both a supporter and a sweeper. Thunderbolt for Pinsir, Zapdos, Hidden Power Ice for Breloom and Latios and Focus Blast for Heatran and Tyranitar. It also resists Mach Punch and (Aerilate) Quick Attack.

Offensive Deoxys S - Whoever thought of this.. Kys. Combined with a Life Orb and a mixed set, Deoxys can potentially sweep my team mid - late game. Ice Beam screws over Zapdos and Latios. Superpower for T-tar and Heatran, and Psycho Boost for Breloom and Pinsir. :[
Edit: Go back to Ubers and don't come back!

Copy and Paste
Hedge Clippers (Pinsir) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Return
- Swords Dance

Vulcan (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill (Ballerina Prodigy) (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Delta Airlines (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 12 SDef / 244 Spd
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Godzilla (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Shroomz (Breloom) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey there Anttyaz , this is a really cool team you got here :) I don't really have a lot to say here, as it's really well-built, but I have a few changes in mind that can help you patch up some of your weaknesses.

First off, both Sludge Wave and Knock Off Landorus pose big threats to your team. It basically gets a kill every time it comes in, and after Latios is whittled, Pinsir has to already have Mega's for you too be able to handle it. Another huge threat to your team is Excadrill under sand, as your only option is sacking something for Breloom to be able to rkill. To make up for this, I suggest running Specially Defensive Zapdos with Heat Wave > Offensive Zapdos and Bulky Landorus-T > Heatran. This makes Zapdos a great switchin to Landorus, and it also makes your defogger gain more longlivety. Having an easier time defogging, Pinsir succesfully sweeping will happen more frequently. Heat Wave also makes it a great switchin to Scizor, who is annoying once Heatran is gone. Landorus-T maintains a good check to Mawile, but also makes opposing Pinsir and the aforementioned Excadrill less of a problem. It also helps taking on CharX, which otherwise has a field day against your team.

As you mentioned, pokes like Gardevoir, Greninja and Mamoswine are hard for your team to deal with. A change that could easen up matcups against these pokes would be running Mixed Ferrothorn > Tyranitar. As Ferrothorn is still a good switchin to many of the threats Tyranitar is used to cover, like Lati@s, and in addition deals with many of the pokes on your threat list, I think this is a change that your team would benefit from :)

Lastly, I would consider running Focus Sash > Life Orb and Rock Tomb > Swords Dance on Breloom, as having an emergancy option to stop pokes from sweeping your team, or having a generally solid lead that usually cripples or takes down the opponents lead (which is often their rocker, and having the opponents hazard setter is always nice) is often nice.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 192 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

->

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 224 HP / 192 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn

->

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Thats a I had, good luck with your team :D

Hey fren, that's a pretty good looking team, and I can notice how you are taking advantage of Aegislash being Uber, using those forgotten threats like SD Loom and Specs Latios.

Talking about this last one, I'm just going to suggest you to run 244 EVs into Spe since you are running HP Fire which lows your Spe IVs by one, you're not going to speed tie with other Latios or Gengar anyway, so you can use the remain evs to give you a little bit of bulk while outspeeding base 108 aka Keldeo and Terrakion

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 32 HP / 232 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick

That's a very creative team and it's obvious that the surprise factor with the offensive zapdos, sd loom and assault vest tyranitar is helping you a lot!

bai :]

Last edited:
Hey there Anttyaz , this is a really cool team you got here :) I don't really have a lot to say here, as it's really well-built, but I have a few changes in mind that can help you patch up some of your weaknesses.

First off, both Sludge Wave and Knock Off Landorus pose big threats to your team. It basically gets a kill every time it comes in, and after Latios is whittled, Pinsir has to already have Mega's for you too be able to handle it. Another huge threat to your team is Excadrill under sand, as your only option is sacking something for Breloom to be able to rkill. To make up for this, I suggest running Specially Defensive Zapdos with Heat Wave > Offensive Zapdos and Bulky Landorus-T > Heatran. This makes Zapdos a great switchin to Landorus, and it also makes your defogger gain more longlivety. Having an easier time defogging, Pinsir succesfully sweeping will happen more frequently. Heat Wave also makes it a great switchin to Scizor, who is annoying once Heatran is gone. Landorus-T maintains a good check to Mawile, but also makes opposing Pinsir and the aforementioned Excadrill less of a problem. It also helps taking on CharX, which otherwise has a field day against your team.

As you mentioned, pokes like Gardevoir, Greninja and Mamoswine are hard for your team to deal with. A change that could easen up matcups against these pokes would be running Mixed Ferrothorn > Tyranitar. As Ferrothorn is still a good switchin to many of the threats Tyranitar is used to cover, like Lati@s, and in addition deals with many of the pokes on your threat list, I think this is a change that your team would benefit from :)

Lastly, I would consider running Focus Sash > Life Orb and Rock Tomb > Swords Dance on Breloom, as having an emergancy option to stop pokes from sweeping your team, or having a generally solid lead that usually cripples or takes down the opponents lead (which is often their rocker, and having the opponents hazard setter is always nice) is often nice.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 192 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

->

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 192 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn

->

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Thats a I had, good luck with your team :D
Thanks for the help!
I'll be sure to try all of them out, but I have a few questions. What are the speed EVs for on Zapdos and Landorus? I'm sure I'll figure it out when I test it on the ladder tho :]
Also, I may change Breloom. But I'll see how it works out~

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Zapdos is EV'd to always live Sludge Wave from Timid Landorus after SR, outspeed neutral base 70's, and rest in bulk. Landorus is also to outspeed neutral base 70's, rest for max phys bulk.

Hey there, nice team, 'gratz for the peak!
First of all, I noticed that you are a bit weak against greninja, mamoswine and terrakion.
Thanks to priority ice and faster speed than breloom mamoswine can easily wreck you with a ice+ground coverage, great speed and priority.
greninja is faster than all your team members and can easily cripple them thanks to its great coverage
terrakion is also a problem for you you, since he can easily set up against tyrantiar, scare of pinsir by being faster with stone edge, heatran and zapdos are also easy pickings for him.
As such I would suggest you to replace breloom with Assault Vest Azumarill, this way you get a counter for Greninja, and a check for terrakion and mamoswine, azu also helps you against keldeo who might be problematic too.
I would also suggest you to replace heatran with excadrill, this way you get a reliable spinner, since using a stealth rock weak defog 'mon with a stealth rock weak sweeper (pinsir) is quite problematic
and easily "pressurable", this way I would consider kyurem-b over zapdos, kyurem-b is a fantastic problem, not only helps you even more against greninja but he's one of the best wallbreaker in the tier atm and as such can easily help pinsir sweep.

Sets:

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 52 Atk / 252 SAtk / 148 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Azumarill (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Excadrill (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar (F) @ Smooth Rock
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Kyurem-b has 56 hp evs in order to survive chansey's seismic toss.
I made tyrantiar pdef with fire blast in order to help pinsir sweep by killing of talonflame and skarmory.

And you can use standard healing wish latias on specs tios... Because now you have a way to to beat stall, not also, healing wish is a nice support for your team and for pinsir... Good luck with the team and i hope be helpful ;D

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
Hi antyyaz, nice team.

If Char-X and the statup are a big treaths for your team you can replace Zapdos with BalloonExca.

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
- Earthquake
- Iron Head/Sword Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide/Sword Dance
This Exca can counter Gliscor without Knock Off, and can revenge killing the statup pokèmon like Charizard-Mega-X, Mega-Gyarados, Mega-Tyranitar,etc..

Change the 4 EVs in HP to S.Def on Latios.

Give to Latios and Heatran, 0 IVs in Atk for minimize the Foul Play damage, and the confusion recoil.

Hi antyyaz, nice team.

If Char-X and the statup are a big treaths for your team you can replace Zapdos with BalloonExca.

This Exca can counter Gliscor without Knock Off, and can revenge killing the statup pokèmon like Charizard-Mega-X, Mega-Gyarados, Mega-Tyranitar,etc..

Change the 4 EVs in HP to S.Def on Latios.

Give to Latios and Heatran, 0 IVs in Atk for minimize the Foul Play damage, and the confusion recoil.
I really, like Excadrill and it's working perfectly. I'll make this change permanent~ Thanks for the help ^^
Rip Gangsta Stork

As a lot of you said, Mamoswine's a bitch to my team along with set up sweepers and Fighting types. I'm thinking about switching Breloom and using this Gyarados set. It may look sketchy, but I assure you it works great.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail

Calcs!

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 101-121 (25.6 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 132-165 (33.5 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 146-172 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 53-63 (13.4 - 15.9%) -- possible 7HKO (Strongest Move)

-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (A lot of Charizards try and set up)

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 150-177 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

-1 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 109-130 (27.6 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 164-192 (41.6 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 144-172 (36.5 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 161-191 (40.8 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 146-172 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 124-147 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 85.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 83-98 (21 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 156-185 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Diggersby: 260-308 (83.3 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 87-104 (22 - 26.3%) -- 10.9% chance to 4HKO

-1 252 Atk Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 124-147 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 85.4% chance to 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 138-163 (35 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I think you get the idea.
So Should I add Bulkydos into my team, or not? If not, please give suggestions.
If Yes, is there a different set that I should use? Keep in mind that I have no Heal Beller.
Thanks!​

Last edited:
Hey fren, that's a pretty good looking team, and I can notice how you are taking advantage of Aegislash being Uber, using those forgotten threats like SD Loom and Specs Latios.

Talking about this last one, I'm just going to suggest you to run 244 EVs into Spe since you are running HP Fire which lows your Spe IVs by one, you're not going to speed tie with other Latios or Gengar anyway, so you can use the remain evs to give you a little bit of bulk while outspeeding base 108 aka Keldeo and Terrakion

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 32 HP / 232 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick

That's a very creative team and it's obvious that the surprise factor with the offensive zapdos, sd loom and assault vest tyranitar is helping you a lot!

bai :]
I agree with the 244 Speed, but why the lesser Sp Atk? Good catch btw :]

Hey there, nice team, 'gratz for the peak!
First of all, I noticed that you are a bit weak against greninja, mamoswine and terrakion.
Thanks to priority ice and faster speed than breloom mamoswine can easily wreck you with a ice+ground coverage, great speed and priority.
greninja is faster than all your team members and can easily cripple them thanks to its great coverage
terrakion is also a problem for you you, since he can easily set up against tyrantiar, scare of pinsir by being faster with stone edge, heatran and zapdos are also easy pickings for him.
As such I would suggest you to replace breloom with Assault Vest Azumarill, this way you get a counter for Greninja, and a check for terrakion and mamoswine, azu also helps you against keldeo who might be problematic too.
I would also suggest you to replace heatran with excadrill, this way you get a reliable spinner, since using a stealth rock weak defog 'mon with a stealth rock weak sweeper (pinsir) is quite problematic
and easily "pressurable", this way I would consider kyurem-b over zapdos, kyurem-b is a fantastic problem, not only helps you even more against greninja but he's one of the best wallbreaker in the tier atm and as such can easily help pinsir sweep.

Sets:

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 52 Atk / 252 SAtk / 148 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Azumarill (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Excadrill (F) @ Air Balloon
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar (F) @ Smooth Rock
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Kyurem-b has 56 hp evs in order to survive chansey's seismic toss.
I made tyrantiar pdef with fire blast in order to help pinsir sweep by killing of talonflame and skarmory.
Thanks! I tried all of these sets but I miss Heatran which is why I switched Zapdos with Excadrill instead. I'm thinking of between your Azumarill set and my BulkyDos since they both check / counter a lot of my threats. They both have their ups and downs so I'll test some more.
Thanks again for the help ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)