FU, Metagame

Hey Smogoners, I'm back with another team for you to rate. I know my last team, Rain Stall, was uploaded fairly recently, but honestly, that team bored me. It just wasn't fun to play with. So, I made a new team based on my favorite pokemon, Breloom.

The teambuilding process:

Breloom is what I build the team around. He's by far my favorite pokemon, and his trusty Bulk Up set is not too shabby. The most important thing when deciding on my next move was picking a good offensive partner for Breloom, and after trying out a few different special and mixed sweepers, I decided on Latios.

Latios and Breloom have great offensive synergy, as they make excellent checks for the other's common switch-ins. Breloom handles Tyranitar, Scizor, and the blobs, while Latios smashes Gliscor. However, they both had a weakness to common steel-types, Skarmory in Breloom's case and just about everything else in Latios' case. So, the next course of action was obvious: I needed a Magnezone.

With Magnezone, I felt that my offensive core was complete, allowing me to move on to my defensive core. For starters, I needed a way to mitigate my fire weakness, as both Breloom and Magnezone take 2x damage from it. So, I decided to put in Heatran for my special wall.

At this point, I noticed that I was now weak to common fighting types, such as Terrakion and Conkeldurr, so I needed a physical wall who could handle those pokemon especially well. I tried out a few different pokes in the position, but the most effective one by far turned out to be Regenerator Slowbro.

Since I had 2/3 of a Fire/Water/Grass defensive core at this point, I thought at first that I would just throw Ferrothorn into the last spot. But then, I realized that the team I created was essentially an anti-metagame team, with the majority of my team practically being designed to handle OU's top threats. Breloom stops Volt-Turn and sand/rain teams cold, Magnezone murders every single steel type out there, Heatran laughs at sun teams, and Slowbro handles the tier's most popular offensive threats. So, I decided that my last pokemon should capitalize on this theme, while providing me with the check to dragon types that I still lacked. The answer? Abomasnow.

After a suggestion made by BTzz, I replaced Abomasnow with a Jirachi to use as my special wall, as well as changing Heatran's set to the Sunny Day one to neutralize the opposing team's weather after their inducer had been defeated, which was 90% of Abomasnow's purpose on the team anyway.

I am much more comfortable with this setup, as Abomasnow often felt like he had little use outside of changing the weather.

A closer look:

Breloom
Poison Heal w/ Toxic Orb
Careful: 236 HP / 212 SpD / 60 Spe
-Spore
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Seed Bomb

I don't care what anyone says about Stealth Rock, the best move in the game is definitely Spore. With the new mechanics, it essentially brings the opponent down to 5 pokemon permanently and allows a free turn of set-up. Bulk Up Breloom is extremely hard to kill, and I love it. He hits like a truck after a Bulk Up, even with a careful nature, and can tank hits like a champ. As the pokemon that this team was built around, he's not going anywhere.

Latios
Levitate w/ Choice Specs
Timid: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Psyshock
-Trick

Latios' job is to hit hard, and to hit fast, and he does both of these things very well. Draco Meteor wrecks everything that doesn't outright resist it, and even 2HKO's some that do. Surf provides coverage against Tyranitar, Scizor, and the like, while Psyshock allows me to bypass Chansey/Blissey. Trick gives me a way to cripple opposing walls, such as Jellicent, Jirachi, and once again, Chansey and Blissey.

Magnezone
Magnet Pull w/ Air Balloon
Timid: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Charge Beam

Magnezone's job is simple: see a steel type, switch in, kill it. It makes life so much easier for my sweepers, especially Latios. Even so, Magnezone can't stop Scizor from revenge killing Latios with Pursuit, so I try to draw him out and kill him before sweeping with Latios. Using him well can take prediction, but Magnezone is an invaluable member of the team.

Heatran
Flash Fire w/ Leftovers
Timid: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Sunny Day
-Fire Blast
-SolarBeam
-Earth Power

This Heatran set allows me to effectively send opposing weather teams to their graves after the inducer has been dealt with (usually by Breloom). Sunny Day is the least common weather besides Hail, and I rarely have issues with opposing Sun teams anyway because of this guy and Latios. Fire Blast is his main STAB, SolarBeam takes advantage of the sun to hit water-types and the like, and Earth Power is for Tyranitar, opposing Heatran, etc.

Slowbro
Regenerator w/ Rocky Helmet
Bold: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave
-Slack Off

It boggles my mind that this guy isn't OU. Really, he's the best physical wall I've ever used, especially against those darn fighting types. Scald is his main STAB, and Psychic is for the fighting types that he was designed to counter, particularly Conkeldurr. Slack Off is for self-recovery, and Thunder Wave is greatly appreciated by my sweepers, especially if Breloom has already put someone to sleep. Rocky Helmet is used over Leftovers because he has plenty of self-recovery with Regenerator and Slack Off, and using Leftovers would be redundant.

Jirachi
Serene Grace w/ Leftovers
Calm: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
-Iron Head
-Wish
-Body Slam
-Stealth Rock

Jirachi is my special wall, Wish supporter, and Stealth Rocker, and it comboes quite well with Slowbro defensively. Iron Head is its main attacking move, Wish provides invaluable support for the other team members, Body Slam has a 60% chance to paralyze with Serene Grace (and it allows Jirachi to act as a paraflincher with Iron Head), and Stealth Rock is pretty self-explanatory.

So, there you have it. I'm rather proud of this team, since it as evolved from a fun team built around Breloom to a successful anti-meta team. Even so, the team does have it's share of weaknesses, and that's where you guys come in. Rate away.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi. Cool team, but Abomasnow seems really out of place here. The hail doesn't really do anything for your team and hurts it when you need to switch into threats. Abomasnow plays the role of dragon killer so I suggest using a Scarf Latios for that role as well as replacing Aboma for a specially defensive Jirachi. Jirachi forms an awesome defensive combo with Slowbro and it provides a much needed switch into Reuniclus and Tornadus (and a seconday check to Scizor). Jirachi also provides Wish support, which would greatly help your team, as most of it lacks reliable recovery + you have no spinner.

If you're really worried about opposing weather, you could try Sunny Day Heatran to combat opposing weather inducers and neutralize weather once you kill thier inducer. You can't stop sun, but Heatran and Latios can give sun teams headaches. Now about your Slowbro; Rocky Helmet is an option*as you have regen, Slack Off and Wishes keeping Slowbro healthy. You should also consider using Flamethrower over Psychic. Flamethrower let's you deal with Skarmory and Ferrothron, which somewhat compensates for your lack of spinner. Scald + Rocky Helmet is usually enough to stop physical sweepers.

Heatran | Air Balloon | Flash Fire
Modest | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Sunny Day | Magma Storm | SolarBeam | Stealth Rock

Jirachi | Serene Grace | Leftovers
Calm | 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Wish | Iron Head | Body Slam | Fire Punch

Hope this helps and good luck with the team!

YES. That Jirachi is just what I needed. I knew Abomasnow needed a replacement, but I couldn't decide what to put in. Changing Heatran's set and using Jirachi as my special wall works perfectly though, thanks.

As far as Slowbro goes, the Rocky Helmet sounds like a great idea, since Leftovers are a bit redundant on him, but I think I'll replace Psychic with Ice Beam rather than Flamethrower, since I have Heatran and Magnezone to deal with steel types, and I'm uncomfortable with having no Ice type attack after Heatran's set is changed and Abomasnow is removed.

Thanks again, BTzz.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just some short comments - if you want Heatran to take on Dragon-types, try Dragon Pulse. Though HP Ice offers coverage against Grass-, Flying- and Ground- types too.

Also, with Latias as your Levitators, I don't think you'd switch Heatran in on Earth Power / EQ. Therefore, try replacing Air Balloon with Leftovers. It'll help your Heatran survive a while longer, which could give you an edge.

And yes, I'd agree with BTzz that Sunny Day would be better, since Snow Warning Hail puts most of your team on a timer, ruining its chances.

Hey there. You may want to refresh the page, as I just edited in the changes. I'll try out Lefties on Heatran, but I think Air Balloon will be especially important now that he is running a more offensive set. Thanks.

Updating. Switching Ice Beam back to Psychic on Slowbro, since Scald is more than enough to handle most threats that Ice Beam covers (Gliscor, Landorous, and physical dragons) and I really don't want to rely on Scald while facing Conkeldurr, who would only benefit from the burn chance.

I don't usually do pointless bumps, but I'm bringing it to the top one more time to see if anyone else has suggestions for me. If not, I'll let it die.

Hi! I've got a couple of things. I really like your team, btw, and I think I might try it out.

Anyway, I run the same Sunny Day Heatran set, but I've found that Air Balloon honestly does quite little. Usually it just gets broken. Possibly it is a better choice on this team since you only have one ground immunity (I'm running 3), but I think Air Balloon is underwhelming on Heatran. I'd go with lefties.

Also, that is an offensive Heatran set, and as such, I'd recommend moving Stealth Rock to Jirachi. I don't think Jirachi really needs fire punch, especially as that is a defensive set, so it doesn't deal that much damage anyway. Freeing up a fourth move on Tran gives it the ability to run either HP Ice or Earth Power, depending on if you're having more trouble with enemy Tran or dragons. I'd probably recommend Earth Power since you seem to have no other ground moves on the team.

I was also going to recommend changing Magma Storm to Fire Blast for accuracy, but the trap effect is valuable enough that I think I'm just going to change mine. What I usually do is Sunny Day on the switch, but that leads to problems since they don't always stay in to eat the SolarBeam.

Lastly, my personal favorite Breloom set by far is a slightly altered version of the SubPuncher, so I'm going to recommend that you test it out as a possible replacement for Bulk Up, but it really depends on if you want your Breloom to be more of an offensive mon than its current defensive role; the SubPuncher really doesn't stand being switched into even resisted moves, so you have to be more careful switching around. Of course, it hits quite a lot harder, so the decision is up to you, but I feel like especially with Rachi's wish support, you could keep the offensive set alive longer than otherwise.

Anyway, cool team, I might try it out, and I hope I helped.

I really like this team. I can't seem to build a team myself that I really enjoy - in fact, I'm half-tempted to steal this team. I don't have any suggestions for it that I feel like can make it any better. My only suggestion is probably to try LO + 3 Attack Latios since it allows you to switch up moves and have HP fire to abuse the sun

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fire

Edit: Well earned Luvdisc!

Hi! I've got a couple of things. I really like your team, btw, and I think I might try it out.

Anyway, I run the same Sunny Day Heatran set, but I've found that Air Balloon honestly does quite little. Usually it just gets broken. Possibly it is a better choice on this team since you only have one ground immunity (I'm running 3), but I think Air Balloon is underwhelming on Heatran. I'd go with lefties.

Also, that is an offensive Heatran set, and as such, I'd recommend moving Stealth Rock to Jirachi. I don't think Jirachi really needs fire punch, especially as that is a defensive set, so it doesn't deal that much damage anyway. Freeing up a fourth move on Tran gives it the ability to run either HP Ice or Earth Power, depending on if you're having more trouble with enemy Tran or dragons. I'd probably recommend Earth Power since you seem to have no other ground moves on the team.

I was also going to recommend changing Magma Storm to Fire Blast for accuracy, but the trap effect is valuable enough that I think I'm just going to change mine. What I usually do is Sunny Day on the switch, but that leads to problems since they don't always stay in to eat the SolarBeam.

Lastly, my personal favorite Breloom set by far is a slightly altered version of the SubPuncher, so I'm going to recommend that you test it out as a possible replacement for Bulk Up, but it really depends on if you want your Breloom to be more of an offensive mon than its current defensive role; the SubPuncher really doesn't stand being switched into even resisted moves, so you have to be more careful switching around. Of course, it hits quite a lot harder, so the decision is up to you, but I feel like especially with Rachi's wish support, you could keep the offensive set alive longer than otherwise.

Anyway, cool team, I might try it out, and I hope I helped.
I think I'll keep Heatran's Balloon, since like you said, I do only have one ground immunity. And two 4x weaknesses.

Good call about giving SR to Jirachi. I'll make that change, but I think I'll replace Body Slam instead of Fire Punch since I've actually used Fire Punch quite a bit, and I rarely use Body Slam.

I actually do have a SubPunch Breloom that I sometimes use on this team. Whether I use it or the Bulk Up set really depends on how I'm feeling, but I really like using them both. If I start feeling like one generally outperforms the other, I'll let you know. :)

Thanks for the rate!

Edit: Changing Fire Punch back to Body Slam, since I found myself missing the paraflinch capabilities more than I expected to.

I really like this team. I can't seem to build a team myself that I really enjoy - in fact, I'm half-tempted to steal this team. I don't have any suggestions for it that I feel like can make it any better. My only suggestion is probably to try LO + 3 Attack Latios since it allows you to switch up moves and have HP fire to abuse the sun

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fire

Edit: Well earned Luvdisc!
By all means, steal away. Just don't forget to give me credit. :) I'll give that LO Latios set a shot. Thanks for the rate and the luvdisc!

Updating with some changes, mostly on Heatran. I found Magma Storm to be rather useless, as I rarely switched Heatran into an opposing weather inducer, rather letting something else kill it and then switching in and setting up sun. For that reason, I replaced Magma Storm with Fire Blast. I am also testing out Leftovers on Heatran over Air Balloon, because I've found that I was often able to switch Latios in without any trouble whenever I predicted an Earthquake. Lastly, I'm giving Heatran a Timid nature over Modest, since being outsped by Timid base 70's and the like has really caused problems for me, and I don't think Heatran minds the loss of power too much.

On a seperate note, I'm considering replacing Latios with Latias because of her ability to switch in on special attacks, something that Latios cannot do quite as well. Thoughts on this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)