1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 2 Fuck DP...100+turn battles are where it's at

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by cookie, Feb 4, 2008.

1. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

I've fancied playing a little GSC lately and dug up one of my old teams, and gave it a little tweaking.

Ampharos (M) @ Leftovers
    - Fire Punch
    - Reflect
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt
    For lack of a better starter. Reflect is excellent: most of Ampharos's switch-ins are physical so it makes good sense.

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
    - Cross Chop
    - Curse
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    I had Heracross with the same set (Megahorn>Cross Chop) but my sweeper is already walled to hell by Skarmory. I was thinking of using Counter somewhere to catch Skarmory and let Quagsire run riot, but in that case I'd change Cross Chop to a move that isn't so threatening to it (thinking of Vital Throw, which also stops p-hazers).

Rhydon (M) @ Leftovers
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Roar
    - Rock Slide
    Hits like a motherfucker. Also thinking of Counter>Curse to deal with Curselax.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
    - Dynamicpunch
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder
    - Wing Attack
    A sexed up version of my own set. Thunderbolt and HP Fighting can go over DPunch/Thunder. HP Fighting will never 2HKO Blissey without a CH, but reliably kills Tyranitar.

Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
    - Ice Beam
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Surf
    Thunderbolt would be nice to stop Suicune/Tentacruel setting up on it, maybe over Ice Beam since Rhydon covers Zapdos.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
    - Belly Drum
    - Earthquake
    - Protect
    - Sludge Bomb
    This thing is awesome. Nobody sees Belly Drum coming and before they know it half their team is dead.
  2. trader

trader

Nice team but you might have some trouble with tauros
  3. Lil-P

Lil-P

Bellylax can mess you up

Lol @ Tauros
  4. Hawkings 11

Hawkings 11

Cool team. GSC is cool, and I can understand playing an old game you like because you felt like it. I have to admit, GSC does look tempting since I saw on serebii.net's GSC pokedex that Shuckle could learn curse as a TM. After setting a few curses up, Shuckle could actually deal damage perhaps semi-effectively.
  5. Borat

Borat

So we can claim standards now?
  6. green_flash

green_flash

I do not like the fact that you have no reliable way to kill Skarm while your main sweeper can't do anything to him. I've used bellySire once and in my team I had a Marowak with Fire Blast to lure out Skarm, dealing around 50% damages to it, and my Quaggy had hp rock to finish it off after the belly drum.
  7. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Pretty much the first 5 Pokes can rape Skarm. Thunderbolt, Curse+CC (CH OHKOs after a Curse IIRC), Curse+Roar, Thunder, STAB IB/Surf. Is there really a problem? I mean the only way you can get more anti Skarm is if you shark on a nonexistent Magnet Pull Magneton. And if all fails, just slap a BellyZard in that position instead.
  8. green_flash

green_flash

the problem is not that he has no way to kill skarm I'm afraid, but that skarm would never switch in on one of those pokés with the ability of killing him (except MAYBE on Machamp, in a pinch). Also a cursed chop fails to guarantee the ohko (it is something like a 90% minimum damage, if I recall correctly). On the other hand, I think that Bellyzard could be a really interesting choice for this team.
  9. Trax

Trax

So Skarm won't by choice switch in on over half his team..

You're saying it like it's some kind of problem.
  10. Karrot

Karrot plant
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Meaning Skarmory will be saved to deal with Quagsire and only Quagsire. Because Skarmory is not switching in on anything else, Quagsire is rendered useless as Skarmory, in theory, will never take damage. It's almost like battling with 5 Pokemon on each side isntead of 6.
  11. Borat

Borat

ST Raikou + ST Suicune.
  12. Clefairy{m}

Clefairy{m}

I would suggest making your Ampharos and Lapras be Female. Obviously you know that doing this lowers their attack stat. But as their using Special Attacks its no problem.

The reason for this is that a Perish Song Misdreavus with Attract could definitely cause you problems. Yes Quagsire could come in and Belly Drum and hopefully get through one of Misdreavus's protects and potentially Ko. But the odds are against you.
    And yes I know Rhydon's Quake hits hard, and it has Roar. However as you use Rhydon to counter curse Lax as well, it definitely is going to get paralysed from Body Slam eventually which is going to makes things a hell of a lot easier for the Ghost pokemon.

Ampharos being Female means that your able to get in a Thunder wave, which is going to go a long way to helping the rest of your team from being trapped easily.

As you haven't stated, I'm guessing you use this team against Standard teams. However I feel there has to be another poke who can paralyse on your team to give Quagsire more of a chance. Most of the better battlers are going to presume Quagsire has Belly Drum to be honest. I guess against slower teams, or people who Spam Rest + Heal bell. There could be certain openings to unleash Belly drum, but I wouldn’t think you'd take down a whole team. I would more say 1 poke which would them open up his team to more attacks from the rest of your team.
  13. Borat

Borat

This is the only true statement tbh. No one's going to face Quagsire and prepare for a potential game-ending HAZE.

Everything about Missy is completely situational and biased; you're assuming he sucks major ass and his opponent rapes fucking face. That's not the case. Missy takes a good 45+ from Rhydon IIRC; most people only switch in Missy when they're expecting a switch, in which case unless you have a female/genderless p-hazer, it's all up to prediction/luck.

Also, no one let's Missy get para'd unless it's a guaranteed kill and/or the team has a beller.
  14. green_flash

green_flash

using female ampharos also guarantees since the very beginning of the battle that it has no hidden power :(
  15. Clefairy{m}

Clefairy{m}

I'm not assuming he sucks major ass, Sir. I pretty sure he has Gsc skills, but I can see from how I worded my comments why you think that. And I’m also not assuming his opponent has major skill neither. That Misdreavus set doesn't take skill to use, as its straight forward.
    What I would say takes skill is the set up, getting his teams pokemon paralyzed. Its not like this team has a set pokemon to absorb status.
    Something like Slowbro (Psychic,Surf,Thunder wave), or Starmie alone can potentially status all his team. If used properly.

I've already stated that Rhydon's Quake would hit hard. Rhydon's quake actually does 55% to 65% to Missy, which surprised me. I don't think what I've said is completely situational or biased, there is some truth behind what I said.
    I did however think Quake was a 3 hit Ko but its a guaranteed 2hit Ko. After doing a few tests i think Rhydon is actually quite a solid counter, seeing as Para/Attract/Protect was less effective than I remember. Rhydon doesn’t even need to go for the kill as it has 3 potential opportunities to get in at least one attack to Roar Missy away.

So I take back what I said, at least about Rhydon anyway. Thanks for setting me straight Borat

Well yeah, TRUE. But I'm guessing the opponent is going to be carrying a beller.

I'm not saying the teams crap, I do like it. Never been a fan of "All out attacking" Dragg, as Thunder and Dynamic punch always misses for me ;_ ;
  16. Borat

Borat

What I don't like is the fact that he's trying to get creative just for the sake of being different; Snorlax will run that set better every single time.
  17. cookie

cookie Adominnustrata
    is a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Soc. Forums Leader

Well excuse me for wanting to use something a little less boring, besides:
    Quagsire is uncommon, much less Belly Drum variants. Quagsire gets sweeps because in one turn it gets 999 Attack that nobody sees coming. It outruns Steelix/Snorlax as well, which is a minor advantage as well.
  18. Borat

Borat

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, actually, yes I am. Different sets/pokemon that serve different purposes are awesome, but when you're just taking an overplayed set on an extremely overplayed Pokemon and putting it on something different, that's boring and uncreative. You don't see people running p-trap Haunter, or Luna Smoochum. And when people ran Curse Ursaring, no one ran around deeming it "OMFG FUCKING CREATIVE, NOT LIKE CURSELAX AT ALL".

Belly Drum is the only variant there is (apart from the Hazer, but honestly, is Haze threatening?). Belly Drum will be expected by anyone with half a brain.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)