1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!

Discussion in 'Internet Renaissance' started by cantab, Dec 20, 2009.

1. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

i liked the storyline in Love, Actually about the christmas #1 slot so i knew all about the significance of this
  2. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I stand by my comments.

People seemed to be supporting this campaign as some way to spite Simon Cowell, which is sure as hell not what the result of this campaign is. I have definitely heard people say they bought the single despite not liking RATM. I cant see it in this thread so it must have been irc. Stupid kids buying music for stupid reasons.

And quite frankly irrespective of how much british people care about their christmas number ones, this is dumb. If you want to support a band support it properly, dont buy into some contest that is clearly supporting something you dont like (evidenced by the need for the campaign in the first place).

So what point was it that you proved with this campaign?

Have a nice day.
  3. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Have you ever found a Rage Against The Machine fan making coherent points as to what they are rebelling against?

It almost seems fitting, really, that their music encourages unspecified rebellion, to the point that no one has a consistent idea of what they're doing...
  4. cookie

cookie Administrator
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Soc. Forums Leader

on the surface this campaign was a good laugh, a nice change from the usual christmas no.1's

it was also good to see something done about x-factor churning out music that's guaranteed success just because it won some contest and not necessarily beceause it's actually good music

if you didn't know what you were talking about then why say anything, seriously
  5. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

wow what a poignant and useful contribution to the thread you excessively boring individual

excellent anecdotal eviden-wait it was just some random kid on IRC who told you this? heres some more anecdotal support: everyone i know who bought the song likes it. since i actually live in britain and know exponentially more people who got behind this, you can take my word that this would not have happened if we didn't like RATM.

i understand what you're saying about the charts. i get it. you ignore it, rise above it and get on with your life and support the music you enjoy. i agree. but sometimes it is fun to get involved and unite in protest against something you think shouldnt be happening. the majority of the people buying into this don't really give a shit about the charts - personally i'm not bothered if this joe kid gets the #1 this week, he probably will. the point is that if we really cared about the charts then this is what would happen. the #1 spot would have good music; music that has actually endured over decades that people still listen to. not this crap that gets into the charts purely because it is broadcast on tv at 8pm on a sunday night.

that is the point we were making, and we succeeded.
  6. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Stay on topic. Trying to derail the thread into a piracy debate will not be tolerated.
  7. cantab

cantab

That we had HAD ENOUGH of the Christmas Number One being decided by the winner of a stale talent show, who will as often as not fade into obscurity, but not before getting the number one spot not because of creating good music, but because of the massive TV exposure and marketing machine behind the X-Factor.

Maybe we should have got behind a deserving new release, rather than an ancient song. But the RATM campaign is the one that took off. I guess it's because of the anti-establishment nature of the song and the band.

And I generally agree with (and am duplicating) what M0nkfish said.

@Firestorm: Did you delete some posts? Because otherwise your post makes no sense.
  8. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

not knowing about your Xmas #1 list doesn't change the fact that RATM is a parody of itself and a shadow of what it used to be/stand for
  9. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yes.

As far as the current discussion, it's the job of the OP to properly inform people of what it's about.
  10. Luduan

Luduan

Really.

Anyway, the point of my post is the same point that Hip is making: I have certainly seen multiple people say something to the effect of "i dislike RATM but bought this anyway just to fuck over simon cowell". I mean, who needs to do the growing up here? An example from this thread:

I think this is just silly.
  11. Doctor Heartbreak

Doctor Heartbreak

i bought the song so i could blast it from my ipod speakers when my mum tells me to clean my room or i won't get any dessert
  12. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

even subjectivity has its limits. by bad music in this context i mean the soulless, bland "schmaltzy ballads" as tom morello put it. nobody likes that shit they just let it wash over them in a wave of mediocrity and disappointment, then buy it because they recognise it and they want to be like cheryl cole because she came from rough tyneside to sparkly-eyed stardom and is now fawned upon
  13. Altmer

Altmer rid this world of human waste
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

tyneside isn't rough

try moving to abuja, or the rio favelas, or anywhere in africa

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)