Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i liked the storyline in Love, Actually about the christmas #1 slot so i knew all about the significance of this

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
no spirit? i honestly don't know how you can say that. a lot of people spent a lot of time promoting the campaign because it was something they wanted to happen. if you think supporting a band you like is "dumb" then that's your prerogative. oh, and the guy who started the campaign is 35 so your condescending remark about "dumb kids" doesn't really work there.
I stand by my comments.

People seemed to be supporting this campaign as some way to spite Simon Cowell, which is sure as hell not what the result of this campaign is. I have definitely heard people say they bought the single despite not liking RATM. I cant see it in this thread so it must have been irc. Stupid kids buying music for stupid reasons.

And quite frankly irrespective of how much british people care about their christmas number ones, this is dumb. If you want to support a band support it properly, dont buy into some contest that is clearly supporting something you dont like (evidenced by the need for the campaign in the first place).

So what point was it that you proved with this campaign?

Have a nice day.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Have you ever found a Rage Against The Machine fan making coherent points as to what they are rebelling against?

It almost seems fitting, really, that their music encourages unspecified rebellion, to the point that no one has a consistent idea of what they're doing...

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
on the surface this campaign was a good laugh, a nice change from the usual christmas no.1's

it was also good to see something done about x-factor churning out music that's guaranteed success just because it won some contest and not necessarily beceause it's actually good music

sheesh, it's not like I actually researched anything about this before I ranted about it, you're acting like I actually knew what I was talking about
if you didn't know what you were talking about then why say anything, seriously

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Have you ever found a Rage Against The Machine fan making coherent points as to what they are rebelling against?

It almost seems fitting, really, that their music encourages unspecified rebellion, to the point that no one has a consistent idea of what they're doing...
wow what a poignant and useful contribution to the thread you excessively boring individual

I stand by my comments.

People seemed to be supporting this campaign as some way to spite Simon Cowell, which is sure as hell not what the result of this campaign is. I have definitely heard people say they bought the single despite not liking RATM. I cant see it in this thread so it must have been irc. Stupid kids buying music for stupid reasons.

And quite frankly irrespective of how much british people care about their christmas number ones, this is dumb. If you want to support a band support it properly, dont buy into some contest that is clearly supporting something you dont like (evidenced by the need for the campaign in the first place).

Have a nice day.
excellent anecdotal eviden-wait it was just some random kid on IRC who told you this? heres some more anecdotal support: everyone i know who bought the song likes it. since i actually live in britain and know exponentially more people who got behind this, you can take my word that this would not have happened if we didn't like RATM.

i understand what you're saying about the charts. i get it. you ignore it, rise above it and get on with your life and support the music you enjoy. i agree. but sometimes it is fun to get involved and unite in protest against something you think shouldnt be happening. the majority of the people buying into this don't really give a shit about the charts - personally i'm not bothered if this joe kid gets the #1 this week, he probably will. the point is that if we really cared about the charts then this is what would happen. the #1 spot would have good music; music that has actually endured over decades that people still listen to. not this crap that gets into the charts purely because it is broadcast on tv at 8pm on a sunday night.

that is the point we were making, and we succeeded.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stay on topic. Trying to derail the thread into a piracy debate will not be tolerated.

That we had HAD ENOUGH of the Christmas Number One being decided by the winner of a stale talent show, who will as often as not fade into obscurity, but not before getting the number one spot not because of creating good music, but because of the massive TV exposure and marketing machine behind the X-Factor.

Maybe we should have got behind a deserving new release, rather than an ancient song. But the RATM campaign is the one that took off. I guess it's because of the anti-establishment nature of the song and the band.

And I generally agree with (and am duplicating) what M0nkfish said.

@Firestorm: Did you delete some posts? Because otherwise your post makes no sense.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
if you didn't know what you were talking about then why say anything, seriously
not knowing about your Xmas #1 list doesn't change the fact that RATM is a parody of itself and a shadow of what it used to be/stand for

m0nkfish said:
the #1 spot would have good music; music that has actually endured over decades that people still listen to. not this crap that gets into the charts purely because it is broadcast on tv at 8pm on a sunday night.
m0nkfish said:
wow i thought you were smart but perhaps you have some growing up to do. bad music? hi, music taste is subjective. i thought that was Internet Renaissance 101 but apparently not.
Really.

Anyway, the point of my post is the same point that Hip is making: I have certainly seen multiple people say something to the effect of "i dislike RATM but bought this anyway just to fuck over simon cowell". I mean, who needs to do the growing up here? An example from this thread:

Cooky said:
I bought the song just to fuck over simon cowell, which probably wasn't RATM's idea of their own appeal.
I think this is just silly.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
even subjectivity has its limits. by bad music in this context i mean the soulless, bland "schmaltzy ballads" as tom morello put it. nobody likes that shit they just let it wash over them in a wave of mediocrity and disappointment, then buy it because they recognise it and they want to be like cheryl cole because she came from rough tyneside to sparkly-eyed stardom and is now fawned upon

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
tyneside isn't rough

try moving to abuja, or the rio favelas, or anywhere in africa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)