Fulgrate Art thread.

In order to eventually get to the point where the above game could be made in 3D, I have to make lots of smaller games and earn enough capitol to be able to develop it.

I went ahead and started to learn a program for game making, and just drew graphics as I went along. This game will be some kind of hyper, anti-gravity game for touchscreen devices.

Both these vids are from the same game, but I might split them off into two different games entirely.

Just something simple that's quick and fun to play is what I'm going for with these. The game from the above post is meant to be competitively complex, in a different way than pokemon or arcade fighting games, which is why it would need a lot of resources as well as having a system that isn't familiar to players.

I made a second game, this time a platformer.

All the art I've done myself as well as learning how to work the game engine to make things happen. I was thinking that maybe I should redraw the sprites for the main characters as vector art, but maybe not. The effects of the mountains scrolling by is so awesome.

Princess gameplay:

Knight gameplay:

The enemy sprites were drawn quickly, so it needs improvement, their A.I. is simple too.

The full art of the main characters:

Early gameplay build:

Versus a Dragon. What do you think of the sprite art of the Dragon? I made sure to make it look dragonish.

Versus Knight

Versus Princess

I've been browsing your thread and I really like the look of some of your earlier work. Those big, bold lines are amazing! Don't stop what you're doing now but you should definitely do some more of that other stuff as well.

Chill: Oh yeah, I wasn't sure how people felt about the big bold lines so I eventually phased them out, but I have the method recorded. I call it the lightning fork. Yeah, I'll try giving it a shot again soon, thanks for the feedback.

Anybody: I drew a TON of characters on this page, designs for a game I'm working on. To see it larger, just click on it. To anybody that sees it, which character would you pick?

And some new sprites for said game:

Last edited:
Also, I've almost finished updating all the enemy sprites as of today. Last remaining sprite, plus a new enemy thats a high speed dragon, and I begin level development.

Here is a link to the updated version of the game I'm working on:

http://gsrca.de/124278

New Dragon graphics, shown against the old graphics:

And a picture of some alternate colors for the hero characters. I'm thinking the Knight's name is Grafto and the Princess will be Pyf.

The last two colors are what I want to use for a webcomic story I hope to draw someday, different characters, but that very same color scheme.

Game link:
http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/124278

As for the nature of the game, it will go two ways. Depending on if I can make the September 19th deadline. It will be a survival arena if I have little time and will only be in that level and a second level that has graphics in place already. You survive wave after wave of dragons, with occasional health drops. IF I go this route, the characters speed and attacks will be slowed down by a lot, around the speed of his basic red button attack. The enemies attacks, even endgame enemies, will have slower projectiles, or they have shorter firing range.

The other way is that its a five level platformer, where you can just run as fast as possible through the level and avoid enemeis or destroy all the enemies if you wish.

In either case, I plan to have an HP display for the enemies. Kind of like in this demo, made with a different game engine and the buttons work with idevices, its very, very unfinished and just has basic stuff.
http://franco.netau.net/nyt.htm

Also art of the last enemies and some level art:

Finally got most of the sprites done, it's now 4 playable characters to choose from and stuff. What do you think of the new characters and what do you think of the new color scheme and add ons for the old characters? I've added gloves to the knight, now it's done!

Hi, I've got 12 pages already inked, but I don't want to post them all until I colored them. My only problem is if I should go with the shaded or non-shaded version? Which do you prefer?

Shaded:

Non-shaded:

Here are some more character designs:

Protagonists, although their game character design already changed, which I'll post later.

The comic would need 5-6 more hours of work to be ready. = _= But I wanted to make it for monday night at the latest, I can't really post it on a tuesday. I'm trying to get a weekly schedule that is either every monday, friday, saturday, or sunday. Whatever start date will be the weekly date. I should probably post the rest of the comic, as the first few pages are an interview and then the scene switches to the protagonist.

I have 31 pages drawn out, just have to put the dialogue and colors now, I'm trying to finish before the end of the day. I'll show some pages, and an alternate to page 3 with some gradients. Gradients clash too much with the style right? I've also randomly posted page 12 to show the other method I'll be using instead of gradients, which is to just detail the background with lines. And I also posted page 26 to show that most of the comic is just lines right now.

Here are pages 12, showing that I began using detail lines for the background, page 26 is just to show that most of the comic is in a black and white state as of this posting.

Here are the alternate shading methods. I guess it still clashes with the style, and I don't think I can shade the characters properly to match.

I guess I'll be going with lines to detail stuff like on page 12, but with more lines{I put those after I put the dialogue}, and forget shading.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some thoughts

First off, try to avoid footnotes as much as possible, and instead try to incorporate the info into the dialogue instead. It's easier to memorise the info if it's inserted into the situation naturally, while as a footnote, the reader is force to take a break and read it, thus getting the impression that they need to memorise it (which they need to), and thus makes for a less optimal learning experience.

Also, see if you can have someone else proofread the text. I am fairly sure you meant Immediate Energy, so that changes the abreviation completely.

We're following the hero's fall towards the ground, but instead of having the lines focused on him, the action lines are instead focusing on a patch of ground while the hero is left in the sidelines. Not sure if you had a paricular idea behind this panel, but the impression that he's falling is much weaker with this setup.

If you're going to draw from this angle, use the shading and environment to further emphasize what perspective it is. As it is now, you don't get what's going on right away and instead need to spend another second or two to interpret this image.

I get that he had his reasons not to partake in ProGaming again, but just ending the Episode with a bunch of faces will make the reader react the same as her.

Your drawing style seems to be fine, but I'm unsure if it's good enough for something as actionpacked as a webcomic about virtual fighting. It takes a lot of pressure on knowing how todraw the characters in various positions, shading and lighting to complement all the effects, and also have the right backgrounds when appropriate. Personally, I feel that your comic is particularly lacking in the background department, where you consistently make the panels large but that doesn't have the backgrounds to complement them (and instead using pure colors to fill the void). And while it may be something that your comic host seems to promote, the way the panels are ordered with a lot of white space in-between them makes for a strange way of reading the comic.

However, if this is a laid back comic where you're more free to experiment and improve yourself, then continue doing it as long as it feels rewarding. But if this is something that's been in the works for quite some time and that you're finally begun working on (based on the large amount of art I've seen preceding this comic), then you may consider shelving it a while longer to improve your own art and make your idea justice.

You're a good artist, but in terms of other webcomics, this one doesn't stand out so much, even with its early age taken into consideration.

Cerib :Thanks, not yet, my coloring is like the ground type move Magnitude, sometimes its got high bp, sometimes its low.

Bummer :Thank you for the input. Yeah, it is a laid back comic for experimentation and improvement, but I wil incorporate your advice into future episodes. Footnotes are out, I remember a method for showing instead of telling info is to have a character that doesn't know anything ask questions about certain features of the game, I'll most likely use the girl at the end of ep.2 for that role in the upcoming eps. Let me know if you of a superior method you would like to share.

Even though it's an experimentation, I'll take any advice to improve it within its given weekly time limit. Like adding more backgrounds. I'll proofread before a release too, in fact, I should go back and fix 01's spelling errors too.

Somebody told me ep.02 has something off about it but they weren't too sure what it was. I did try a new drawing method with the intent of increasing speed, but it didn't work out too well perhaps.

In-game character designs for the upcoming episodes.

I almost forgot to post some sketches dating back to almost a month ago. It's about the other main characters, since I've tried a few times to redesign them. The top pic is recent, but the bottom left was copy and pasted from the original sketch of episode 01, where it was his friend he was fighting rather than a random guy. He uses a Harvest Fly/Cicada motif to his ingamer, the techniques he uses are short ranged sound attacks mixed with melee attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)