Metagame Full Potential

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
approved by imas and scpinion

(new banner coming soon from the lovely HotFuzzBall)​

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if a Pokemon with lackluster attacking stats was able to take down their opponent based on pure power? This metagame aims to do just that. In this metagame, every Pokemon uses their highest calculated stat as their attacking stat.

Council
nv
Funbot28
Kris
TylerWithNumbers

Rules:

Mechanic: A Pokemon's highest calculated stat is now used when calculating their attacks.
Clauses: OU Clauses + the following:
  • Item Clause: No two Pokémon may hold the same item.
Bans: OU Bans + the following:
Abilities
Speed Boost
Unburden
Weather-based Speed boosting abilities (Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, Slush Rush, Sand Rush)
Pokémon
Shuckle
Alolan Raichu
Tapu Koko
Items
Swampertite
Unbans:
Pokémon
Marshadow
Aegislash
Blaziken

Strategy:

The goal of this metagame is to allow any passive or defensive Pokemon the ability to shine alongside offensive Pokemon. This metagame is bound to be more defensively-inclined as a Pokemon with high defenses can now compete offensively with a Pokemon that has high offensive stats while still being able to tank hits as needed.

Q&A:

Q: Will moves that boosts defenses, such as Amnesia and Iron Defense, boost the power of attacks coming off of that stat?
A: Yes.

Q: What happens if a Pokemon happens to boost a different stat other than their highest calculated stat and bypass said stat once boosted?
A: The Pokemon will now use its new HCS (Highest Calculated Stat) to calculate the damage.

Q: Is HP included in the calculation of a Pokemon's HCS?
A: No. This is due to the way HP scales and the fact that Pokemon with a HP stat that is higher than the rest of their stats, even invested, would have to deal with a Water Spout-like effect on all their attacks, making them unreliable, and most likely unviable, in the metagame.

Q: Where is this playable?
A: This is playable on Dragon Heaven courtesy of Spandan and ROM thanks to urkerab!

Q: How do moves that lower stats work in Full Potential?
A: They will still lower the stats included in the moves as changing that would be changing the move's coding in a sense so therefore moves like Draco Meteor and Superpower, if not using a Pokemon's Special Attack or Attack / Defense stats respectively, become very powerful nukes (credit to drampa's grandpa for this question n_n)

Q: What does the Burn status do in Full Potential?
A: Burn halves the base power of physical moves, so those moves will still do half damage, even if they come off of another stat such as Defense or Speed. (credit to drampa's grandpa for this question n_n)

Q: How does Tailwind work?
A: Tailwind doubles you and your allies' Speed, meaning it doubles your damage if Speed is your HCS after Tailwind is taken into account. (credit to drampa's grandpa for this question n_n)

Q: How does Unaware work?
A: Unaware will not ignore boosts to damage coming from the opposing Pokemon's Defense, Special Defense, or Speed. (credit to drampa's grandpa for this question n_n)

Examples:

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 216 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Head
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse / Hidden Power Fire
- Stealth Rock

Steelix is one of the best wallbreakers in Full Potential and for good reason. Thanks to its wonderful ability, Sheer Force, it is able to power up its STABs and coverage and power through quite a lot of the metagame.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe or 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stone Edge
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Earthquake
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Tyranitar is a really good Pokémon in Full Potential. This is mainly due to it being able to effectively get an immediate Amnesia with Assault Vest and its Sand Stream ability. This allows its moves to hit very hard and it has plenty of coverage moves to customize itself very easily to any team.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Full Potential Viability Rankings
Created by Funbot28, Kris, nv, Felis, and Faded

Ordered Alphabetically

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the Full Potential metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

Tyranitar

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the Full Potential metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be overlooked when compared to their positive traits.

A+

Scizor-Mega
Stakataka
Steelix

A

Kecleon
Latias
Swellow
Sylveon
Toxapex

A-

Chansey
Diancie
Dusclops
Ferrothorn
Furfrou
Regice
Whimsicott
Zygarde-10%

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the Full Potential metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

B+

Altaria-Mega
Celesteela
Heatran
Jolteon
Lopunny-Mega
Mew
Skarmory
Talonflame
Tyranitar-Mega

B

Accelgor
Aerodactyl
Aggron-Mega
Alakazam-Mega
Cobalion
Doublade
Electrode
Greninja
Greninja-Ash
Hitmontop
Regirock
Sableye-Mega
Slowbro-Mega

B-

Audino-Mega
Aggron
Blacephalon
Crobat
Cryogonal
Diancie-Mega
Goodra
Magearna
Ninjask
Noivern
Onix
Porygon-2
Registeel
Steelix-Mega
Umbreon
Volcanion

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have notable niches in the Full Potential metagame, but have just as many notable flaws that prevent them from being effective. Pokemon in the C tier often require significant support to be effective. Pokemon from this rank tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Pokemon.

Arcanine
Bastiodon
Blissey
Claydol
Cloyster
Comfey
Florges
Forretress
Gigalith
Galvantula
Mandibuzz
Mudsdale
Nihilego
Ninetales-Alola
Probopass
Suicune
Tapu Fini
Tornadus
Uxie

D(on't use) Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are nonviable in the Full Potential metagame and have no concrete advantage to make them worth using. Pokemon from this rank have multiple crippling flaws that prevent them from being successful a majority of the time, and are severely outclassed because of it.

Malamar
Raichu
Rhyperior

Last edited:

Conni

katharsis

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect / Toxic
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic / Shadow Ball

I'm not that good at set making, but if I understand this OM's concepts correctly, then I imagine Blissey would be pretty monsterous due to its absurdly high HP stat and its already commonly used defensive EV spread making it quite bulky AND powerful, and I swapped the SpD evs with SpA evs to make it hit a tad bit harder. Like I said before, I'm not that good at set making, but what I had in mind for this set is to make it a bulky attacker where it can take a lot of moves and hit very hard back with moves such as Hyper Voice which hits already very hard neutrally and can bypass Substitute, and Psychic can be used to hit Fighting-type Pokemon on the switch and if Blissey is sure that it can take a Fighting-type move, then it can possibly 2HKO the Fighting-type opponent, although Hyper Voice might already do solid damage; Shadow Ball can be used to hit Ghost-types that are immune to Hyper Voice. I guess this set is pretty walled by special walls because Blissey is a much better special attacker but Toxic might be able to get them to switch out or at least taint them so Blissey can roam free laterwards. As with Wish and Protect, I got that from the original set as Blissey can still recover itself to keep on slow sweeping throughout the match. Blissey should be equally bulky with both defenses so mons that can take this Blissey set out is special walls with Fighting-type moves or Ghost-types with Fighting-type moves unless Blissey runs Shadow Ball.

If someone comes up with a better set with the same concept for Blissey in mind please do tell me! Anyways this is a cool concept nv :)

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect / Toxic
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic / Shadow Ball

I'm not that good at set making, but if I understand this OM's concepts correctly, then I imagine Blissey would be pretty monsterous due to its absurdly high HP stat and its already commonly used defensive EV spread making it quite bulky AND powerful, and I swapped the SpD evs with SpA evs to make it hit a tad bit harder. Like I said before, I'm not that good at set making, but what I had in mind for this set is to make it a bulky attacker where it can take a lot of moves and hit very hard back with moves such as Hyper Voice which hits already very hard neutrally and can bypass Substitute, and Psychic can be used to hit Fighting-type Pokemon on the switch and if Blissey is sure that it can take a Fighting-type move, then it can possibly 2HKO the Fighting-type opponent, although Hyper Voice might already do solid damage; Shadow Ball can be used to hit Ghost-types that are immune to Hyper Voice. I guess this set is pretty walled by special walls because Blissey is a much better special attacker but Toxic might be able to get them to switch out or at least taint them so Blissey can roam free laterwards. As with Wish and Protect, I got that from the original set as Blissey can still recover itself to keep on slow sweeping throughout the match. Blissey should be equally bulky with both defenses so mons that can take this Blissey set out is special walls with Fighting-type moves or Ghost-types with Fighting-type moves unless Blissey runs Shadow Ball.

If someone comes up with a better set with the same concept for Blissey in mind please do tell me! Anyways this is a cool concept nv :)
HP can't be used as an attacking stat, but a similar set based on Special Defence could be amazing:

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect / Toxic
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic / Shadow Ball

It's the same idea as yours, except it invests fully in Special Defence to maximise its attacking power. Add an Eviolite to your Chansey and you've got the equivalent of a 105 SpA 'mon with full investment and a Choice Specs boost from Eviolite, in addition to Chansey's great bulk. The set is the same as yours and the EVs are optimised for mixed bulk and offensive power.

How does Foul Play work here? Not that it's likely to be used much, but...

Prankster Thunder Wave should come in handy for all these speedy sweepers that'll probably be running around, not only slowing them down but also giving you an effective Aurora Veil.

Bring the Water Absorbers, though. AV Araquanid hits like something straight out of BH, OHKOing Mew on down.

This meta game is going to be intense

Yeah might want to suspect Araquanid, that thing will be a nightmare for anything that doesn't have water absorb and bug resist. (Volcanion?)

Anyway, something I've been wanting to use for a while.

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Air Slash
- Roost / Energy Ball / Shadow Ball

Fairly speedy at base 114, enough to outspeed Araquanid (but then again, what doesn't) Firing off base 100 Stored Power with 718 after a single CM is pretty scary.

If you set up two calm minds, you can do this though

+4 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Araquanid: 348-411 (102.3 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Which when you think about is pretty intimidating about how much Araquanid can take.

Yeah seriously suspect that bug

(Well edit in more calcs later)

All calcs done with modified stats on both sides

252 Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Registeel: 326-386 (89.5 - 106%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Steelix-Mega: 360-424 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-Defense: 306-362 (100.6 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Regice: 168-198 (55.6 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+ 1 for assault vest ^
In return, regice without vest;

252 SpA Life Orb Regice Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 213-252 (55.6 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

36 Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 257-304 (70.6 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Every time Buzzwole gets a kill, his defense goes up. It's basically bulk up, also boosting attack by one.

Some questions.
A. Do the highest stat goes to both Special and Physical attack? That would mean mixed attackers will be extremely potent here.
EDIT: Araquanid Surf has 5 more power than Liquidation if this would work. Small, I know, but you could run both to counter pure physical or pure special walls.

B. Am I to understand that an assault vested Goodra can fire off Draco Meteors without penalty, does does that reduction of SpA get calculated in?

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
To clarify, the category of a move no longer matters for attacking, only for defending (similar to Got Talent)? Ie Earthquake can be calculated by any stat (SpA, etc), but will always target the defending mon's defense stat.

If I understand this meta right, Swellow becomes a huge threat, only really being walled by rock types and Heatran, and even those take significant chip:

Swellow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Frustration
- U-turn

Frustration takes care of Chansey.

252+ Atk Choice Band (simulating Scarf boost) Swellow Frustration vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 354-417 (55.1 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Swellow Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 238-280 (59.7 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 126-149 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Swellow Frustration vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 126-149 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Regirock: 131-155 (35.9 - 42.5%) -- 96% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Diancie: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 2.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Some other cool metagame threats will be Megabro and the Regis. Slowbro gets Iron Defense to boost its already incredible defense stat, while the regis bring raw power to the table. Regice has nice Boltbeam coverage, while Regirock has equally nice Edgequake coverage.
Merciless Toxapex might actually be viable!
Scarf Ninjask is a funky revenge killer. Infiltrator isn't as good as Speed Boost, of course, but 160 base is nice. It also gets Agility if you're into that. On the other hand, Accelgor is only slightly weaker and has much better coverage.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Ninjask Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 283-334 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

For more cool threats read the Got Talent thread imo

Avalugg @ Power Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Skull Bash
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Earthquake

Power Herb + Skull Bash lets you boost your defense (and therefore your damage) and then hit your opponent with a 130 BP move in one turn. Pretty neat combo, especially since Avalugg already has gargantuan defense.
The remaining coverage just lets you smash people to pieces with your enormous defense-attack. You'll die to any special attack unless Sturdy is still working, and you're really slow, but anything you do hit is gonna get annihilated.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

It's basically just Kyurem-White with Fusion Bolt instead of Fusion Flare. Kyurem White manages to do well in Ubers so this should be pretty good.
Unlike White, it has to worry about Intimidate and it doesn't worry at all about Draco Meteor's Sp.Atk drop.
Pretty powerful.

Torkoal @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin

Sun boosted Overheat off what's effectively base 140 sp.atk without having to worry about the drops. Ouch. Can also rapid spin effectively and has alright coverage - you should probably run stone edge over Sludge Bomb but I hate inaccurate moves.

Electrode @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Explosion
- Signal Beam

Electro Ball is going to have really high BP a lot of the time, and Electrode really enjoys the Pheromosa ban. You know what Volt Switch does. Explosion is a noice nuke. Signal Beam is a filler, you can run whatever you want really.

Mantine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Even with Mantine's low Defense and SR weakness it can still deal with Araquanid fairly nicely as well as just doing some serious damage with its good coverage and high Sp.Def.

Regice @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

That's gonna sting a bit. Does this even need an explanation?

HP can't be used as an attacking stat, but a similar set based on Special Defence could be amazing:

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect / Toxic
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic / Shadow Ball

It's the same idea as yours, except it invests fully in Special Defence to maximise its attacking power. Add an Eviolite to your Chansey and you've got the equivalent of a 105 SpA 'mon with full investment and a Choice Specs boost from Eviolite, in addition to Chansey's great bulk. The set is the same as yours and the EVs are optimised for mixed bulk and offensive power.
btw how about using Return over Hyper Voice?

just share my idea.

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Merciless / Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam / Recover
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Venoshock / Sludge Bomb
- Liquidation / Scald

or

Toxapex @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Calm Nature
- Liquidation / Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Filler
- Filler

Pick your poison. this meta will be so good with mixed defenses. it just means toxapex stats will be like 50/152/152/152/152/35 or 50/142/142/142/142/35. getting mixed defenses means your opponent can't know are you attacking with defenses or spdef. Mercilles actually become "usable" with nice attacking stats. btw i want to know if i use Ice Beam with pokemon with high defense stat, will it be targeted opponent defense stat or spdef stat? if still spdef stat, then it means every pokemon will almost be special attacker btw.

Registeel @ Assault Vest / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature / Bold Nature
- Iron Head / Flash Cannon
- Filler
- Filler
- Filler

Literally same with toxapex, only this using Steel Types and no recovery outside lefties

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest / Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald / Waterfall
- Filler
- Filler

attacking while lowering their attacking options and defense options might be good

Steelix @ Assault Vest / Leftovers / Life Orb
- Flash Cannon / Gyro Ball
- Earth Power
- Filler
- Filler

200 Def? yummy. sad mega aggron not released yet, otherwise

Aggron @ Aggronite
- Heavy Slam
- Filler
- Filler
- Filler

and no uber drops? we have pokemon that having crazy stat already .. :/

Last edited:
Really cool meta.
Sad thing that Gale Wings is nerfed XD That 126 speed.
This is the bulky offence meta, in practice.

So Got Talent is still here with us in spirit. That's nice.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP /252 SpD / 6 Speed
Careful Nature

-Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Ancient Power
-Pursuit / Crunch / Payback / Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam /Flamethrower / Thunderbolt / Surf / Earthquake
-Ice Beam / Flamethrower / Thunderbolt / Surf / Earthquake

This monster is back from Got Talent, and is better than ever. Like it was in Got Talent, Tyranitar has two sources that boost its Special Defense sky high, and now has all the moves it ever wanted. It hits everything in the tier for absolutely massive damage, and is one of the best Swellow answers out there. Pursuit remains a powerful option, due to the number of threats that don't want to stay in on this monster, and even has a good Rock STAB this time. That coverage is icing on the cake, and even running Ancient Power is an option, simply due to the fact that Tyranitar becomes pretty much unstoppable after a boost, outside of Ninjask/Accelgor U-turns.

Last edited:
mach punch?
Tyranitar does have acceptable bulk to take one from full from most sources... excluding Assault Vest Hitmontop, who shouldn't show up terribly often (but is a threat in Full Potential anyways).

Edit: So this isn't just a terribly short post, some more interesting threats.

Comfey @ Leftovers / Big Root
Ability: Triage
Calm Nature
- Amnesia
- Draining Kiss
- Leech Seed
- HP Ground / Petal Blizzard / Synthesis

I don't know, but Comfey seems like it has potential. The premise of this is simple... Amnesia up, and then start firing off priority Draining Kisses. Leech Seed is there to be annoying, and HP Ground is the best coverage Comfey has.... unless you want Petal Blizzard. Or... acrobatics. Bulky Steels are too much of a threat to pass up on HP Ground.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Pain Split/Aura Sphere/Energy Ball

Now this is interesting... and possibly lethal. Magearna can now fire off Fleur Cannons without consequence. Iron Defense is the boosting move, and the rest is coverage or unreliable recovery. You can also run Heart Swap to mess up your opponents attempts to sweep, though good luck using it against a Fire and Ground types...

Last edited:
I just want to highlight the huge potential trick room can have in this metagame. Because of the fact that you can double up your defensive EVs as offensive EVs, slow, bulky attackers are definitely the best option in this meta. Here is a quick team that I built which could outline what a trick room team would look like and also so I can claim of these sets as mine before anyone else posts them. :^)
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Pain Split
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Regice @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake

Steelix @ Life Orb
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Shell Armor
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psychic

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

As you can tell these mons are extremely bulky and extremely powerful at the same time. Most of them such as AV tyranitar can outright OHKO most non-defense invested mons, and with the aid of trick room, speed is not a problem. Even outside of trick room these mons are very bulky and so even the most powerful of threats will struggle to even 2hko them.

Last edited:
So with all these slower mons taking over the game, Smeargle can actually outspeed many of them and do fun things. Base 75 Speed at +2 does some alright damage, but when you factor in Smeargle's massive movepool it becomes rather threatening.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Agility
- Coverage 1/Baton Pass
- Coverage 2/Baton Pass

Spore one of the many slow mons, set up an agility or two and proceed to smash the opponent into tiny pieces. Focus Sash'll let you take a hit unless hazards or damaging weather is up (Or Magic Room/Embargo but nobody uses those).
A Z-Crystal for the coverage move of choice would also work fine, so long as said move isn't Frost Breath or Storm Throw, which aren't worth the crystal.

With 2 moves it's pretty hard for Smeargle to get perfect coverage, and if one of those is a STAB it's impossible, but since the opponent has no idea what you're running it doesn't matter. You can also use Baton Pass to give an ally speed when Smeargle finds something it can't kill.
Here's many good coverage options:

Boomburst+High Jump Kick/Superpower/Storm Throw gives you perfect coverage on everything that isn't a Ghost. Against ghosts, however, Smeargle is dead weight except for Spore. Make sure to use Technician instead of Own Tempo if using Storm Throw, which is the most powerful of the options.

Boomburst/Return/Head Charge/Last Resort+Moongeist Beam allows you to deal with ghosts but leaves you walled by Tyranitar. Boomburst leaves you unable to deal with Chansey while the other normal options have less power or, in the case of Last Resort, forces you to use MGB first.

Moongeist Beam+High Jump Kick/Superpower/Storm Throw hits every mon in the game but leaves you without any STAB. Use Technician with Storm Throw.

Draco Meteor+Overheat/Blue Flare has very good neutral coverage although it misses out and things like Fini, Carbink and Diancie, but again leaves you with no STAB. It's usually worse than the combo above, but the moves have higher overall BP.

Frost Breath+Bolt Strike is Boltbeam coverage. None of the mons that resist this combo are really relevant and it has even better SE coverage than Ghost/Fighting, but Ghost/Fighting hits some important things such as Dusclops, Cresselia and Tyranitar better. No STAB again.

Other coverage options that don't really need explanations and/or are outclassed by one above:
Moongeist Beam+Flying Press (In this case I just don't know how to work out what it hits. Flying Press is weird.)
Precipice Blades+Diamond Storm
Frost Breath+Storm Throw w/Technician
Boomburst+Frost Breath w/Technician
Bolt Strike+Blue Flare
Frost Breath+Blue Flare w/Technician
Everything Else

canno

formerly The Reptile

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z / Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor / Extreme Speed / Earthquake / Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast / Thunderbolt / Draco Meteor
- Dragon Dance / Draco Meteor

Dragonite in general has a lot of powerful options with its expansive special movepool, which it can now use with its high Attack rather than its middling SpA. This allows it to have a reliable STAB in Hurricane, which works well with it. It also has access to Draco Meteor; a spammable base 140 Dragon-type STAB move. I still use Flyinium Z on the set due to Hurricane having 70% accuracy, but another item like Lum or Life Orb (or another Z-Crystal for specific threats i.e Electrium-Z for Tapu Fini and Slowbro). In general a lot of those mons who had expansive special movepools with no real way to abuse them benefit a lot from this metagame.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Okay. Aku Mau Ngetroll, aggronite and steelixite are unreleased, meaning that your last two sets are illegal.

Secondly, when nv and I were testing and theorymonning, we came up with some sets:

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Recover

A bulky set that Mega Sableye can run while still being scarily offensive, self explanatory. Limited coverage, but there are teammates for that.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

A physically defensive set that still allows Ferrothorn to set up Stealth Rock; however, this time, Ferrothorn now has access to strong, STAB-boosted recovery, as well as having nice coverage in Knock Off and a strong STAB move in Gyro Ball to cripple Choice Scarf users. A specially defensive set with an Assault Vest and more coverage instead of Stealth Rock can be used as well.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam / Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Rock Slide
- Surf / Fire Blast

With sand boosting the Special Defense of Rock-types, alongside Tyranitar's already decent Special Defense and item in Assault Vest, gives it a really high stat to hit off of, KOing a majority of the metagame with ease. It also has a wide movepool to take advantage of, allowing it to be unpredictable and act as a good teammate.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush / Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor / Focus Blast / Brick Break / Shadow Claw
- Sludge Bomb / X-Scissor / Rapid Spin

While Choice Scarf Excadrill might seem outrageous when it has a base 135 Attack, Sand Rush allows it to get an extremely high Speed stat to attack off of, hitting everything for a lot of damage. It also has a unique movepool that gives it access to numerous strong moves and utility moves.

Nihilego @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Poison Jab
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave / Hidden Power Fire

Nihilego has a decent Speed stat and outrageous Special Defense stat that allows it to run a Timid nature with maximum Speed investment and still get the Beast Boost and attacking power from its Special Defense. Nihilego is like the specially defensive variant of Ferrothorn per se.

(also, nihilego + tyranitar + exca + ferro is a great start to a team)

First off, let me say: YAY it's finally here! So I gathered some mons I knew of from Got Talent, as well as some new potential threats. I'll switch in between here:

#1 Underrated mon is.... Kecleon.

Hi I'm Paul (Kecleon) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
Calm Nature
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak

So Kecleon takes Greninja's place in terms of the "Viable Protean" user in this metagame. In GT, he was fantastic. So why is he good?
3 forms of priority, each with at least one form of significant resistance to a type. Fake out causes him to go normal type, which is immune to Ghost. Sucker Punch causes him to be immune to Psychic-type, and Shadow Sneak gives him two forms of immunity: Normal and Fighting. However, keep in mind that thanks to Psychic Terrain, he is less viable in this metagame than he was in GT. However, terrain can be worked around based on what your team is. Finally, he gets access to drain punch, which is a very good move for him. Also consider that with the assault vest, his sp def total is = to 558, which gives him immense power on top of being able to change his type.

Speaking of Terrain... I'm going with a gen 7 mon here who I suspect might be dangerous.

FEHEENY! (Tapu Fini) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Smart Strike
- Ice Beam

First off his sp. def is equal to 591 with an assault vest. Which is a lot of power to be reckoned with. Secondly, he works great as a special wall like this, not to mention his defence is a force to be reckoned with. Paired with a cleric that has access to wish, or just if you want someone who will be able to take hits and hit hard, this guy is your man. He can now have access to a decent steel type move in smart strike, he's got scald, moonblast and ice beam for coverage and stab. I don't know yet how hard he'll hit, but be on the lookout for this one.

Continuing with the assault vest trend, we have a gen 6 GT favourite...

Fierce (Meloetta) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Secret Power
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Psychic

So Meloetta has access to an immense Sp Def stat and the fun of Serene Grace. Secret Power's chances of paralysing are 60%, and he no longer has to worry about a poor attack stat. This gives him the ability to use Close Combat, U-Turn, and Secret Power without worrying about a damage drop. He can also use Psychic for coverage. He is also a great pivot, although his speed stat could definitely be better with his mediocre defence.

Something I'd like to point out before I continue...

Eviolite and Assault Vest are the specs and band of this meta. The only difference is... if you have a dusclops or some mon you'd like to put an assault vest on, instead of only being able to use one move, you can use any attacking move. Also, these items boost defensive stats, which make your mon more survivable, which was very important in Got Talent. Things hit a heck of a lot harder in Full Potential, just like they did in Got Talent. So don't expect to run hyper offensive mons and be as effective as you've been in other om's, or in OU, etc. Also, if you want to mess with people's teams, run a mon with trick. It's a good way to not only mess with their power but also their defence.

Shall we go with another defensive mon? Ok, sounds good! (I swear I'm not crazy) Let's go with a gen 7 mon, shall we?

Ohai (Toxapex) @ Leftovers
Ability: Merciless
Shiny: Yes
Impish Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Sludge Wave
- Liquidation
- Recover

Alright folks, so I think this mon has the potential to just destroy. He has access to incredible defences, and of course one has the option to go with assault vest, but I'd recommend against that. Because well, he's... MERCILESS (hue pun).

So... not only will he be hitting off of defensive stats that are respectively base stat wise: 152 and 142, this version's defence gets up to 443. Keep in mind that if you poison the opponent with baneful bunker or sludge wave that he will always get crits as well thanks to merciless. He also has access to a great water move in liquidation, and to top it off he has recover. So will this mon be good in this meta? I'd be shocked if not. Keep in mind, however... that there are mons out there like Regirock that have earthquake. So be careful of his weaknesses, although it's not like he can't tank a few hits here and there.

So I'll grab one more mon, specifically from Got Talent's viability rankings... and this mon is...

Cobalion. I don't have a set for Cobalion because I didn't personally use him. But he was dangerous in Got Talent, and I suspect he'll be viable here as well. He also doesn't have to compete with Mega Aggron, who is not available in this meta due to an unreleased mega stone. Cobalion's defence base stat is 129, and he has a great typing here. He really only has to worry about fire and to some extent mons like Rhydon.

Lastly, I'd like to say I'm glad to see Full Potential is finally out, very happy for you NV!

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Ninjask @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf / Focus Sash
Ability: Infiltrator
- Agility / Giga Drain / U-Turn
- Bug Buzz / Leech Life / Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Double-Edge / Hidden Power [hits steel se]

Wow Ninjask has no movepool. It's still hella fast tho, and can make itself faster (no autocorrect I don't mean gayer). There might be better coverage than this but honestly Ninjask doesn't have much else. No calcs im on mobile.

EDIT: Ninjask hits 460 speed before scarf or boosts, which means it hits 690 speed with a scarf, or 920 speed at +2. Tell me that isn't terrifying. It has problems with Stealth Rock, especially the Scarf set which will be switching a lot, and priority.

Electrode @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof / Static
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Explosion
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Another low movepool high speed mon,this time with Explosion. Faster than Tapu Koko, with Explosion but weaker Electric moves.
EDIT: This set is probably generally inferior to Tapu Koko, but if used alongside it would make for a devastating electric-spam combo.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Iron Defense
- Surf / Scald
- Psyshock

EDIT: Mega Slowbro has base 180 defense and a way to double it in one turn. For reference that's 504 defense if fully invested, and that doubles to 1008 in one turn. Weak to special moves, which keep in mind can come from anything.

Onix @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Explosion
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

This set abuses Onix's great base 160 defense, access to Eviolite, and access to speed boosting to clean. It's still kinda slow, and it's typing is awful, but I have high hopes for our forgotten rock snake.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Frost Breath
- Haze

Woo bulky stronk haze gud. EDIT: Like 5 people have posted Toxapex sets by now just take it as said its going to be amazing. Don't forget Regen exists when you're playing with Merciless.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- Sacred Sword

Another bulky set up sweeper... nothing surprising. Has priority, Eviolite, set up, and a ridiculous defense stat, and one of the best typings in the game.

I THINK WHAT'S BELOW IS IMPORTANT
I think priority will be extremely important in this meta, because I predict it being highly offensive, not just because of the prevalence of insane attacking stats, but because every single Pokemon can, and should, be hitting both defenses, so dedicated physical/special walls like Chansey or Skarmory got a LOT worse at walling, although a lot better at attacking.

Last edited:
Okay. Aku Mau Ngetroll, aggronite and steelixite are unreleased, meaning that your last two sets are illegal.
steelix is legal because i'm using leftovers / life orb sheer force. it just regular steelix. yeah i know both stone are unreleased, that's why i say "sad Mega Aggron not released yet" because the last set is just theorymoning "if mega aggron are released".

ah i'll add some idea

Politoed @ Assault Vest / Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Calm Nature
- Waterfall / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Rest / Filler

or

Politoed @ Leftovers / Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Bold Nature
- Waterfall / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / U-Turn
- Hurricane
- Roost

my idea is just ruining tyranitar sand and playing with rain as offense. i listed politoed because pelipper will be so weak with tyranitar. or you can have both to your team so you have dual rain setter. then pair it with this

Floatzel @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Waterfall / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Crunch / Focus Blast
- Agility / Switcheroo
Floatzel with Max EVs & IVs in Speed, in the Rain with Swift Swim ~ 658
Floatzel with Max EVs & IVs in Speed, in the Rain with Swift Swim and a Choice Scarf ~ 987

then add Araquanid for strong Water Bubble in the Rain. Need i say more?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)