1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Fun in the Sun

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Nenloth, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Nenloth

Nenloth

Welcome,
    I decided to build a sun team and after few test battles it seems that it doesn't work out pretty well, so I'd like to have your opinion on it, what to change.

TEAM AT A GLANCE
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Team in details:

Ninetales
    [​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP/120 SpD/136 Spe, Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    Moveset:
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Flamethrower
    - Substitute

The one and only sun summoner. Fills the role of attacking and crippling lead. Will-o-wisp can absolutely stop incoming Tyranitar, main enemy, the Sand Streamer. Also HP Fighting is there to 2HKO him in the Sandstorm. Flamethrower is ridiculously powerful in the sun, able to deal significant damage to anything that doesn't resist it. The last one, Substitute, is there to scout moves and provide a free attack after a switch.

Venusaur
    [​IMG]@ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP, Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    Moveset:
    - Sleep Powder
    - Growth
    - Solarbeam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

The main and my favourite sun sweeper. Put to sleep any incoming threats making it useless for a moment, Growth on the switch, bringing Venusaur's special attack to ridiculous levels and proceed do deconstruct teams with Solarbeam + HP Fire combo, extremely dangerous in the sun, although completely walled by Fire-types that not already put to sleep or at low health.

Vaporeon
    [​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD, Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    Moveset:
    - Scald
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Baton Pass

The main supporter of the team, also able to block physical sweepers with the Scald, not doing much damage, but causing burn. This Vaporeon is also very durable, having the Wish + Protect combo, allowing it to stay alive for long long time. Low speed allow Vaporeon to Baton Pass Wish last and not imperil low health dudes to die on any attack targeted at Vaporeon.

Heracross
    [​IMG]@ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP, Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    Moveset:
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Night Slash
    - Stone Edge

The guy I absolutely adore, the second main sweeper in the team. It simply spreads fear in enemy's ranks with its powerful STAB moves Close Combat and Megahorn. That does lots of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Night Slash and Stone Edge are there only for coverage, but also really strong. He's also the team's status absorber with its Guts, becoming more of a beast with it.

Dragonite
    [​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP/212 Spe/44 Atk, Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    Moveset:
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Punch
    - Roost

The standard Bulky Dragon Dance set. Everything that resists Dragon Claw will be handled with Fire Punch in the sun. Dragon Dance gives it an extra kick, which Dragonite may need with that little investment in attack. Roost allows to go back to full and activate Multiscale, so much needed for Dragonite.

Starmie
    [​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP, Timid Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    Moveset:
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder
    - Surf

Ninetales, being very fragile to entry hazards and sometimes having to set up sun a few times, needs a Rapid Spinner, and Starmie fills that role pretty well. That also allows Multiscale to activate, because of no damage to D-nite when switching in. I know that Thunder may seem redundant on a sun team, having only 50% accuracy, but it counters Politoed nicely, 2HKOing it and Starmie can take a max SpA Specs Hidden Power Grass from Politoed 85% of the time. And when this is done, Starmie can deal some damage with other moves before dying and setting up the rain again.
    I consider turning it into a normal set (Thunder->Thunderbolt) or giving it more bulk at cost of speed to make it survive HP Grass 100% of the time.

Please, tell me, what should I change to make this team a bit more effective. Thanks in advance.
  2. M. Rock

M. Rock

Will (hopefully) come back to make a more detailed critique later, but it's extremely vital that you have more than one sun setter in the team.
  3. Harsha

Harsha Rest In Beats
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Umm, I'll reply soon. To the poster above, you don't need more than 1 sun-setter per team. It's not necessary.
  4. Danilo

Danilo
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Really cool team.

Firstly, your team really struggles with Heatran, especially the Specially Defensive variant. The only pokemon on your team that can fight Heatran is your Heracross. Having only one check to Heatran is obviously not good, but I think I can remedy that. My first change would be switching Venusaur to a mixed attacker with Earthquake. Generally, Venusaur lures in Heatran which means that Venusaur can take it out with an Earthquake. Here's the set that i run:

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 64 Atk / 188 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Growth
    - Energy Ball
    - Earthquake
    - Sludge Bomb

Secondly, you need to update your Ninetales set. Opposing weather inducers(with the exception of Abomosnow) can switch into Ninetales with ease. The set that you are currently running is not very proactive in dealing with the main weather inducers. The set that I run is a Sub-Toxic set. This sets main goal is to stall out the other weather inducers by using Substitute as they switch in, and then using the residual damage of Toxic to stall them out. Additionally, it's useful for stalling out any other pokemon that Ninetales forces a switch out. Here's the set that I run

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic
    - Protect

Finally, your team lacks a dragon resist. In this metagame, it's almost suicide to not be running a steel type. Additionally, you have no Stealth Rock user. Luckily, Heatran fills both of these roles! Here's the set that I would run

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earth Power

Just a small little thing: Run Recover on Starmie over Surf. Surf won't be doing much in the sunlight, thus, it doesn't seem very useful.
  5. Nenloth

Nenloth

Yeah, thanks for remarks and I believe Heatran should replace D-nite or I'm wrong and I should get rid of Vape?
  6. Danilo

Danilo
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Oh I'm sorry. Heatran should replace Vaporeon. I like Dragonite, it's the scariest thing in the metagame so i suggest that you keep it. Good luck!

Edit: Run Thunderbolt over Thunder PLEASE. Thunder only has 70 accuracy in the sun so it's kind of crazy to run it.
  7. Nenloth

Nenloth

Actually, I'vee figured out, that I could delete Vaporeon AND Dragonite, put in that Heatran and Latias:

Latias @ Leftovers
    Levitate, Timid, 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Calm Mind/Dragon Pulse/HP Fire/Wish

How do you see that? I think that my team needs a bit of Wish support and Latias can do it nicely.
  8. Danilo

Danilo

Latias is a bad wish supporter. try implementing my rates.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)