Furosuto's Art Shack

Heeeeeere's an update!

In my opinion, fearow reminds me more of a crane than a rooster, mostly because of it's beak. So I decided to give fearow a realistic look.

Woot, more skarm! As you can see, I am a fan of bird pokemon.

I think my lineart is getting better. ;D

Although.... I sort of like the thin rough edging a bit better. Gives it a more serious look, which I think is where I want to be heading. I'm still pretty new at this though, so I'm happy I'm making progress in such a short amount of time.

EDIT: Also, please please please please please please PLEASE give me some comments and critizism. Otherwise I won't have any idea what to focus on. I'm thinking that I need to work on shading my art better, to give it a more softer look. But what do you guys think?

Update. I need help when it comes to textures. Cause I am tanking it.

http://i.imgur.com/LMPYu.png

So basically here's my pic. I've found out how to do textures now (woot), but I haven't found out how to make em stay only in my wanted area.... the cradily. So to the pros out there who are experienced in this kind of thing, help I guess? It will be greatly appreciated.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nj has a textures tut, definitely check that out. In my PSElements, I have a thing called a pattern stamp. This ie basically a brush using whatever texture. What I have to do is select the portion of the picture I want and use the pattern stamp over it (in a new layer). So you should be able to put a box around cradily and control what part you are adding texture to; afaik, textures don't blanket the image. Hope this help, idk much about actual photoshop since I use PS Elements.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So basically here's my pic. I've found out how to do textures now (woot)
I'd be nice if you could tell us about your method, makes it easier to form a diagnosis.

I haven't found out how to make em stay only in my wanted area.... the cradily.
If you added texture the same way as with your Uber Threat List image, did you use a filter in Photoshop? If so, that affects the whole layer, so if you have Cradily's colors on a separate layer then you just need to apply the filter there.

But if you use textures by adding other images on top of your drawings and then changing their blending mode, you can either just erase those parts of the layer you don't want with the eraser, or make a selection for the area of your choice and then delete everything outside it (easiest way in this case would be to Ctrl+click the layer with your Cradily, and then Select>>Inverse).

There are also many other options, like making use of layer masks so you don't erase parts of the layer and instead just makes it invisible. Either way, I can post some screenshots if you don't follow. But since you work with Photoshop, I hope you know how to work with layers and how to keep everything separated (like one each for background, color, lineart, texture). Otherwise it'll be a royal pain to edit them aftwards.

If you didn't put everything on separate layers (in future, if you don't already, always do this, it makes editing much, much easier), there are still some ways to accomplish it.

If it's through a Photoshop filter or Layer Options, try this. You work on a Mac and I work on Windows (and we may use different versions), so there might be some differences, but you can always look up how to translate these commands if they don't show in the menu. You can duplicate your image by right-click on the layer in the Layer pane -> Duplicate the layer (or Layer > Duplicate), or by Merge Visible (Layer > Merge Visible, on Windows Shift+Ctrl+E), then apply the filter to that layer. Then erase or layer mask the bits you don't want filtered, so the original layer shows through. If it's through a texture, like Bummer said, just eraser / mask away.

It's a difficult way to do it, but it'll work.

I use photoshop cs5 on a mac, and while I'm not that great at using it, I can try getting you screenshots or stuff if you need them :)

Thanks for the help guys. I found out how to do it.

Basically the pattern gets brought to a new layer automatically. But if I right clicked on that layer, I would have been able to simplify that layer, and that would allow me to erase the pattern part of it, so it would only be in the cradily. :D

I'll post the finished pic later on today, but thanks so much for helping everyone!

EDIT: Here is my final pic! I'm really proud of how this came together.

Sup guys. Another update! This time however.... I'm totally stepping up my game from the past pics. Here's one of my fav ancients, Carracosta.

Texture is finally working right, and the dark colours are actually working for me. You guys will definitely be seeing better pics from me later on in the year, that's for sure. This is just a little taste of what's to come.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sup guys. Another update! This time however.... I'm totally stepping up my game from the past pics. Here's one of my fav ancients, Carracosta.

http://www.iaza.com/work/120112C/iaza11656267208600.png

Texture is finally working right, and the dark colours are actually working for me. You guys will definitely be seeing better pics from me later on in the year, that's for sure. This is just a little taste of what's to come.
WOW
That is fantastic, definetely my favourite of yours so far (aside from my makuhita :D)

http://www.iaza.com/work/120112C/iaza11656267208600.png

Wow! It looks great. My only thing is that I think you should go a little easy on the textures, though, as they're somewhat overpowering the picture.

Hehe, thanks guys. You flatter me!

@Ziposaki: Since Carracosta is an ancient pokemon, and would have been stuck under layers of mud for a long time, the mottled look sort of needed to go with it. But I can see what you mean. This was my first real piece of taking advantage of all the things in photoshop, so it's a start. But I'll definitely be pumping out more and more good pieces like this later on.

I love that Kingler, especially how you made it look so cute! Great job. I would love to see how a Starmie from you would turn out, so if you're interested in trying that out, go for it!

Hmmm.... Starmie....Starmie.....Hmm.... Starmie.....

I'll keep that in the back of my head for if I feel motivated. But yeah, thanks for the compliment! I'm gonna work on the MAC entry for now though.

Hmmm.... Starmie....Starmie.....Hmm.... Starmie.....

I'll keep that in the back of my head for if I feel motivated. But yeah, thanks for the compliment! I'm gonna work on the MAC entry for now though.
Good luck with the Monthly Art Contest :]

Bump. Anyways, here's some new work! Feather's, you want to see what an insane looking shiftry that's laughing looks like? Well, here it is!

This is based on a pokemon in my team. I'm gonna be uploading my whole dream team, so here's the kamakaze pokemon on my team, Windstep!

Shiftry (Windstep)
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
- Seed bomb
- X-scizzor
- HP fire
- Air cutter

Personality: Outside of battle, Windstep seems like an ordinary, reserved pokemon that likes to joke around. However, on the battlefield, his personality completely changes to a crazy close combat fighter, who Quartz's entire team makes sure to stay away from. He's not insane though. He has a saying. "I'm not insane, I just love a good challenge. And right now, I'm facing against the ultimate challenge. Death!" He knows he can't overcome death, so he's happy that he get's to fight against a challenge he can't beat. Quartz understands this. So he let's him fight. Of course, only as a trump card. Against foes such as tyranitar and scizor, Quartz shows no hesitation in pulling out Windstep in battle. And it doesn't matter what injuries that Windstep gets. He'll just blast right through an attack or take it and throw it right back at his opponent. Truly a formidable opponent on the battlefield.

you can just put the link in between
tags like so:

Quote this if you still cant figure out how to do it :p
Also the larger ones should be in hide tags, so
like this
I love this so much.
The texture add a timeless element to the piece. It would make a sexy hardcopy print :naughty:

Another quick thing I'd like to add. While I am happy I have an art thread, and that I've got the tablet, I just don't seem to be improving that much. So I have a question to the more experienced artists around here.

How long did it take you guys to get where you are?

I'm not impatient or anything. I just want to keep on improving. However, I'm struggling with painting my works, and that is dragging me down. So I need help. Suggestions?

Here's another one. I'm happy how this turned out. Since I'm not that good at line art, I've taken up rough edging, which I think looks much better.

Marowak (Skull)
Held Item: Thick club
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
- Bonemerang
- Thunderpunch
- Stone edge
- Bone club

Personality: Skull is Quartz's starter pokemon, and they both share a close bond to each other. Both of them are quite alike in many ways, as Quartz's personality has rubbed off on Skull during the past time spent together. The two are inseparable and Skull is often outside of his pokeball, only put in there if he is injured, or needs to sleep.

Skull is able to become good friends with just about anyone, and likes to battle, as does the rest of Quartz's team. Skull focuses on close combat techniques such as thunderpunch and bone club, and can catch opponents off guard with thunderpunch, as most foes think that taking out his main weapon makes him defenseless. Skull has small little blue markings on his helmet, which he claims is warpaint, and becomes very defensive whenever someone mocks him for it.

A running gag that has happened is that whenever Torch (the rapidash) and Kraken (the tentacruel) get into a heated arguement, Skull whacks them over the head with his blade and tells them to knock it off and stop being so violent to each other (while in fact he is the one being violent to them).

EDIT: Next up on the list, bibarel!

Bibarel (Timber)
Nature: Naive
Moves:
- Surf
- Body Slam
- Super Fang
- Hyper Fang

Personality: Timber is the youngest of Quartz's team and while he's not the strongest, he makes up for standing down any challenge ahead of him. At first he may seem scared if faced with an intimidating opponent, or a foe that is stronger than him, but he wants to show everyone that he's stronger than he looks, and he'll prove it if he has to.

Despite being the youngest of Quartz's team, he shows an abnormal amount of maturity, and will remain calm at times even if the rest of his teammates are freaking out. However, he is quite naive and curious of the world around him, and sometimes doesn't understand the concepts that the older members of Quartz's team know and as he is always trying to find out new things, this means he gets into quite a bit of trouble at times for straying too far. But all in all, he is a respected team member and will continue to strive for excellence.

So what do you guys think of the new style I used for this pic? Should I try combining the outlines from my marowak pic and the shading of this bibarel pic for something? Or should I just keep on sticking with this soft shading for now?

Found some new inspiration from a graphic novel I read, so here's what I made! I actually quite like this style. What do you guys think?

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm surprised you haven't got too many comments recently, these are great! I'd give you some art critique but i know nothing about art, so what i will say is: that bibarel is one BAMF!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)