Fury Cutter+Metronome

Dunno if this is useless or has been brought up before. And I don't know how to run some damage calculations...so yeah. Oh, and if this doesn't work or something dumb like that, please lock or delete or whatever.

Fury Cutter

Power doubles with each consecutive hit. If Fury Cutter misses, power is reset. If a move other than Fury Cutter is used, the power is reset. The power maxes out at 160*.

Type: Bug
Physical
Accuracy: 95%
PP: 20

That means that after 5 turns, you got a bug move stronger than one of the hyper beams, without the charging turn :o!

*Not sure if this stops Metronome from working.

Notable Users:

Scyther
Scizor
Flygon
Floatzel
Gliscor
Gallade

Nice list huh? Some of those are kind of beefy and can increse their defenses. But still, 5 turns is quite a while to wait. But DP introduced a new item, metronome!

Metronome

The power of an attack is increased by 10% on each consecutive use, up to a maximum of +200%. The boosts are lost if the holder uses another attack or switches out.

So what exactly does that mean?

Damage*

Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 1: 10
Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 2: 22
Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 3: 48
Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 4: 104
Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 5: 224
Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 6: 240
Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 7: 256
Fury Cutter+Metronome Turn 8: 272

Chances are you won't be getting that high. Anyway, 224 damage after just 5 turns it a small price to pay. Throw in some STAB and some sort of crazy baton passing skills and you have one hell of a move.

Of course there are some drawbacks, no switching out means Skarmory and Foretress comes in and laughs at you. However, take down their physical wall, stat up some defense and start the 5 turn frenzy!

Yeah, anyway this seems like a high risk-high reward move, as it takes a while to set up, and is so easily stopped. Your thoughts/possible movesets?

*If someone can check these, I'm not sure if I did them right. I used the incresing base power=x, and the increasing % that metronome was adding=y

x+y

Kind of simple :P.

That makes it sound even better... Technician + STAB + natural fury cutter effect + metronome = A very strong attack. That would be a very nice move for a late-game sweeper once all of scizors counters are gone.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As great as Fury Cutter sounds on paper, on pencil it just doesn't cut it. Scyther and Scizor are probably the best of them. Even though they loose the Technician boost after it exceeds 60 BP, it could still rack up some damage.

You also have to realize however that there are countless of better options, namely just putting X-Scissor in. It would take 4 turns to at least overthrow X-Scissor in terms of raw power, except that X-Scissor in 4 turns would've done 320 damage without the boosts.

If you could swap back and forth from attacks (in other words, use 2 Fury Cutters, one Brick Break, then use Fury Cutter again), it might be a bit more worth it. Otherwise, I can't see it working very well, sadly.

Technician-wise, you would get something like this:

1 Fury Cutter: 15
2 Fury Cutters: 33

You get the picture, right? It wouldn't last long in other words.

too slow to get good damages for it to be practical unless your somehow able to mean look + baton pass a Choice user using a attack the user is immune to you'll never be able to get it to highest damage levels

Choice band + Fury Cutter makes a heck of a lot more sense IMO. It takes 5 turns before Metronome is the same power as a Choice Banded Fury Cutter, and until then Choice Band is stronger.

Unfortunately, the chances of Fury Cutter hitting 5 times in a row, nomiss would be 77%.. which unfortunately isn't terribly high and something to depend on.

I'd say X-Scissor still beats this out.

Maybe if Scizor was at the receiving end of a Baton Pass chain, and had some defenses and speed passed, it could work - in theory. It'd need Flash Fire Support, of course.

I'd rather just use a normal Scizor then...anything can work if that much support is given.

It takes ages for Fury Cutter alone to reach the power of something like X-Scissor, and then that attack is 100% accurate as well. Don't bother, really.

I tried using Fury Cutter once before on Shoddy but it never did work. The damage increase never came about so i cant vouch for its usefulness.

The set i was running was a Defensive Vespiqueen with DefendOrder, Roost, FuryCutter. DefendOrder and Roost to allow Queen to slowly build up your FuryCutter hits. Max out defend order and keep roosting to regain health and start fury cutting once you have good enough defences.

And Fury Cutter hits do not have to be consecutive for the powerup, so you can roost in the middle or fury cutting. But like i said, it doesnt work in Shoddy so i dont know how effective this could be.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In D/P, the uses of Fury Cutter do not have to be consecutive in order to keep the boost. However, a miss still resets the power like it used to. Of course, non-consecutive use of the move would still mean no Metronome boost, but I'd rather use Wide Lens anyway to make sure Fury Cutter never missed.

Regardless, I have to agree with most of the posters here that even with the various boosts, Fury Cutter doesn't seem practical. If they'd started the power at 30 or even 20, I'd consider using it.

In the same amount of turns Scizor could have gotten three sword dances up, which would be less limiting in turns of move use and more practical.

It was great in GSC ingame where the opponent would just spam Leer and tackle and you would set up a fearsome juggernaut Scizor/Scyther/Pinsir/whatever.

If your foe has either a brain or any amount of power then you would die/switch before getting powered up. Use Giga Impact instead.

It might be OK for some late game sweeping, but bug is resisted by Flying, Poison, Steel, Fighting, and Fire... IE most of OU.

In UU it could do some damage... but wouldn't the Choice Band be better for Fury Cutter?

This sounds very well on paper, but just that. You won't get the five hit row (at least against a decent player):

1-You send scizor in.
2-He switches to a counter-you attack for the first time
3-The counter OHKO's you or 2HKO's you you can't use roost.
4-You have to switch out so as to not get KO'd

One or two hits sounds very shitty, you will hurt a lot more with repeated x-scissor on the switch.

Meh. I could work late-late game, but this works very well ingame. Gym leaders fail to the fury-cutter scizor you got from your friend.

Alright, someone just attempted this strategy on me Shoddy and it failed hardcore, his scizor did finish me off late game, but not with fury cutter metronome, rather swords dance boosted iron head. The first two turns of extremely minuscule damage just don't seem to be worth the sweep. In the battle I took an insignificant amount of damage and simply roared him away with hippowdon, foiling this strategy.

But fury cutter iirc lets you switch on and off between other moves.

Roll out/ ice ball lock you onto that move, which means no switching at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)