Gen 1 Fyrefox vs AraShaun, A RBY OU Warstory

First Warstory here!
This game was between me and a good friend of mine FyreFox on PS
The teams were:
Team Dai-Kanto! A standard as anything team of misfits:

Versus FyreFox's team of Anime Showponies (Subtle Brony Pun somewhat intended)

Let the Battle begin!

Code:
Fyrefox joined.
AraShaun joined.
Format: 
[Gen 1] OU (beta)
Sleep Clause: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
Battle between Fyrefox and AraShaun started!
Fyrefox sent out Charizard!
Go! Gengar!
So FyreFox leads with Charizard, and I lead with Gengar. I expected FyreFox was hoping for an Eggy lead to Flamethrower, but sadly no dice, Gengar however is top in this match-up.

Code:
Turn 1
Gengar used Hypnosis!
The foe's Charizard fell asleep!
The foe's Charizard is fast asleep.
Turn 2
Gengar used Thunderbolt!
A critical hit! It's super effective! The foe's Charizard lost 100.0% of its health!
The foe's Charizard fainted!
Fyrefox sent out Alakazam!
And Gengar makes short work of that. Next up is Alakazam, who probably has the upper hand here, but nethertheless I decide to trust my dear Gengar and keep him in.

Code:
Turn 3
The foe's Alakazam used Psychic!
It's super effective! Gengar lost 69.3% of its health!
Gengar used Hypnosis!
The foe's Alakazam fell asleep!
And get lucky again, hitting Hypnosis, however at the cost of 70% of my life. Gengar decides it's time to go out in a blaze of glory, as all gengar should, and goes for the kamikaze...

Code:
Turn 4
Fyrefox withdrew Alakazam!
Fyrefox sent out Chansey!
Gengar used Explosion!
The foe's Chansey lost 79.2–79.9% of its health!
Gengar fainted!
And gets the Chansey for 80% on the switch! Chansey silently weeps, Gengar departs into the afterlife with a smile on his face, and we are now 5 - 5 but me with the upper-hand.

Code:
Go! Tauros!
Turn 5
Tauros used Body Slam!
A critical hit! The foe's Chansey lost 20.1–20.8% of its health!
The foe's Chansey fainted!
Fyrefox sent out Tauros!
And The King of Kanto proves how lame FyreFox's Chansey is, and sends it to hell to be bullied by Gengar for eternity, at which point FyreFox gets mad and sends in his own Tauros.

Code:
Turn 6
Tauros, come back!
Go! Golem!
The foe's Tauros used Body Slam!
It's not very effective... Golem lost 11.0% of its health!
Golem is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
My Tauros has an existential crisis upon seeing himself, and tag-teams out Golem to take the Body Slam, breaking his Spinal Cord in the conflict

Code:
Turn 7
The foe's Tauros used Earthquake!
A critical hit! It's super effective! Golem lost 76.6% of its health!
Golem used Earthquake!
The foe's Tauros lost 39.7–41.7% of its health!
Eager to reclaim his dignity, Golem goes for Earthquake, and Tauros also goes for Earthquake, unfortunately Golem botches the job and loses 75% of his life, however manages to take a fair chunk of Tauro's also. The two ignore the unbelievable damage to Earth of a double Earthquake.

Code:
Turn 8
Golem, come back!
Go! Tauros!
The foe's Tauros used Earthquake!
Tauros lost 22.4% of its health!
Turn 9
The foe's Tauros used Body Slam!
Tauros lost 30.9% of its health!
Tauros is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Tauros used Body Slam!
The foe's Tauros lost 25.1–29.1% of its health!
The foe's Tauros is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
My Tauros brings himself together and comes back in, however fate is cruel and bestowed the same wheelchair ridden state to My Tauros! However in revenge, my Tauros brings FyreFox's to the red.

Code:
Turn 10
The foe's Tauros used Rage!
A critical hit! Tauros lost 14.2% of its health!
Tauros used Hyper Beam!
The foe's Tauros lost 31.3–33.3% of its health!
The foe's Tauros fainted!
Fyrefox sent out Raichu!
FyreFox's Tauros is angry at this, and has a Rage, however it's no use, and gets obliterated by a Hyperbeam, Restoring Order to the universe, and leaving me 5 - 4.
Raichu (Who evolved from Pikachu in the last match) comes into the fray.

Code:
Turn 11
Tauros, come back!
Go! Golem!
The foe's Raichu used Thunder!
The foe's Raichu's attack missed!
It doesn't affect Golem...
However it's still s**t, and misses it's attack on my switch-in.

Code:
Turn 12
Fyrefox withdrew Raichu!
Fyrefox sent out Dragonite!
Golem used Earthquake!
It doesn't affect the foe's Dragonite...
Golem has trouble adjusting to his new, wheelchair ridden lifestyle, and hence is a bit slow to realise Dragons arent affected by Earthquakes. The team cuts him some slack though, seeing what he has been through.

Code:
Turn 13
Golem, come back!
Go! Starmie!
The foe's Dragonite used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective... Starmie lost 12.1% of its health!
Starmie was frozen solid!
Unfortunately, Lady Luck Falcon Punch's me in the stomach, then knees me in the balls on the way up. Fellow Comrade Starmie is frozen in his prime! The team accuse Dragonite of being a dick, and ask what Starmie ever did to him. Dragonite just smirks and proceeds to beat up a block of Ice, to the teams horror.

Code:
Turn 14
Starmie is frozen solid!
The foe's Dragonite used Thunder!
The foe's Dragonite's attack missed!
Turn 15
Starmie is frozen solid!
It's super effective! Starmie lost 59.1% of its health!
Turn 16
Starmie is frozen solid!
It's super effective! Starmie lost 28.8% of its health!
Starmie fainted!
Go! Chansey!
Everyone is too scared to do anything, until Chansey steps forward. "I've had enough of this!" She proclaims.

Code:
Turn 17
The foe's Dragonite used Substitute!
The foe's Dragonite put in a substitute!
The foe's Dragonite lost 23.0–25.0% of its health!
Chansey used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! The foe's Dragonite's substitute faded!
Fyrefox mistakes this for Hoenn, and makes a Substitute. Chansey gets distracted by it, and somehow fails to aim for the giant Dragon, and instead hits the small doll in front of it.

Code:
Turn 18
Fyrefox withdrew Dragonite!
Fyrefox sent out Raichu!
Chansey used Ice Beam!
The foe's Raichu lost 23.0–25.0% of its health!
Turn 19
The foe's Raichu used Thunder Wave!
Chansey is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Chansey used Ice Beam!
The foe's Raichu lost 23.0–26.9% of its health!
Turn 20
Chansey lost 16.6% of its health!
Chansey used Ice Beam!
The foe's Raichu lost 23.1–27.0% of its health!
Turn 21
The foe's Raichu used Thunderbolt!
Chansey lost 15.1% of its health!
Chansey used Ice Beam!
The foe's Raichu lost 20.9–26.9% of its health!
And so Chansey spams Ice Beam, like any true Chansey should. Dragonite runs away, and later on Chansey recieves a Bachelor of Chanseyness for spamming so much.

Code:
Turn 22
Fyrefox withdrew Raichu!
Fyrefox sent out Alakazam!
Chansey used Ice Beam!
The foe's Alakazam lost 18.8–20.8% of its health!
Raichu runs away yet again, and Chansey decides to tag out to Snorlax in order to take a break and try to get its head around why it didnt notice anything other than the doll.

Code:
Turn 23
Chansey, come back!
Go! Snorlax!
The foe's Alakazam is fast asleep.
Turn 24
The foe's Alakazam is fast asleep.
Snorlax used Hyper Beam!
The foe's Alakazam lost 79.2–81.2% of its health!
The foe's Alakazam fainted!
Fyrefox sent out Dragonite!
Snorlax makes short work of Alakazam, proving that Brain is truler lesser than sitting on your ass all day.
Dragonite makes a return, still certain it lives in Hoenn.

Code:
Turn 25
The foe's Dragonite used Substitute!
The foe's Dragonite put in a substitute!
The foe's Dragonite lost 23.0–26.9% of its health!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite's substitute faded!
Snorlax now truly understands Chansey's trouble, falling for the same trick. The two later start a support group for Pokemon with Similar Problems.

Code:
Turn 26
A critical hit! Snorlax lost 35.2% of its health!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 27.2–31.2% of its health!
Turn 27
Snorlax lost 17.2% of its health!
Snorlax used Hyper Beam!
The foe's Dragonite lost 20.8–22.8% of its health!
The foe's Dragonite fainted!
Fyrefox sent out Raichu!
Snorlax avenges Starmie, and finally slays Dragonite.

Code:
Turn 28
The foe's Raichu's attack missed!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
The foe's Raichu lost 0.1–4.1% of its health!
The foe's Raichu fainted!
AraShaun won the battle!
AraShaun: GG :P
Fyrefox: Hate you
Finally, Snorlax flicks off the pittance of a Raichu.
The glorious winds of victory ride through Team Dai-Kanto once more!

FyreFox graces us with his sportsmanship, and my Pokemon and I ride off into a sunset.

Hmm... I am just starting RBY, but it seems like your opponent made some rather poor choices with already poor team and moves, running Dragonite with Ice Beam instead of Blizzard for one, and leaving their sleep fodder out to just be killed by Gengar who put yet another Pokemon to sleep.

Move 7 seemed odd from your part, as Golem can only take one Blizzard, which he should have used, if you were aiming to attack Tauros from the get go, why not Explode to do more damage? I realize Golem was helpful vs Raichu, but you didn't know he had it at that point.

I do give you credit though for actually making this, and overall the moves from your end were pretty solid.

Hmm... I am just starting RBY, but it seems like your opponent made some rather poor choices with already poor team and moves, running Dragonite with Ice Beam instead of Blizzard for one, and leaving their sleep fodder out to just be killed by Gengar who put yet another Pokemon to sleep.

Move 7 seemed odd from your part, as Golem can only take one Blizzard, which he should have used, if you were aiming to attack Tauros from the get go, why not Explode to do more damage? I realize Golem was helpful vs Raichu, but you didn't know he had it at that point.

I do give you credit though for actually making this, and overall the moves from your end were pretty solid.
Yeah he was pretty new to the whole competitive scene, so his team was pretty bad.

Golem into Tauros was a mistake on my half, I completely blanked out that Tauros ran anything other than Body Slam and Hyper Beam XD my bad.

Yeah he was pretty new to the whole competitive scene, so his team was pretty bad.
He also played like a total moron and you did some pretty dumb things too (seriously, leaving Golem in on unparalysed Raichu? It has a guaranteed OHKO!).

(Your own team isn't crash-hot either, you've got no Ground resistance and no sleep that I can see besides Gengar (unless your Chansey had Sing?).)

EDIT: Okay, that was cuttingly harsh. I should probably phrase it better as "if your thought process is as you've claimed, you still have a considerable amount to learn about competitive RBY".

He also played like a total moron and you did some pretty dumb things too (seriously, leaving Golem in on unparalysed Raichu? It has a guaranteed OHKO!).
To be fair, most, if not all, of the Raichus I have seen on showdown lack Surf because people see the 'illegal' and don't choose it. Also, its not like that Golem had a lot to live for anyway, being paralyzed and low in health.

(Your own team isn't crash-hot either, you've got no Ground resistance and no sleep that I can see besides Gengar (unless your Chansey had Sing?).)
Having more than one sleeper is considered standard? I haven't seen that anywhere, I just run one sleeper and seem to be doing pretty good I think :v.

Having more than one sleeper is considered standard? I haven't seen that anywhere, I just run one sleeper and seem to be doing pretty good I think :v.
One sleeper is fine if you're not using it as a lead and it has decent accuracy and bulk - ie, Egg.

Using Gengar as a lead, though, is risky because it can be OHKOed on turn 1 by Alakazam or Starmie critting STAB Psychic, and it also has only 60% accuracy on its sleep move. You need some sort of backup.

EDIT: Regarding Raichu, literally the only reason to use it in OU is because it has Surf. Jolteon and Zapdos are oodles better in every other way.

EDIT: Okay, that was cuttingly harsh. I should probably phrase it better as "if your thought process is as you've claimed, you still have a considerable amount to learn about competitive RBY".
That's ok man XD
My team wasn't the best, usually I have Exxeguttor in place of Gengar, but I felt like using Gengar in this battle. It started as a friendly match, then afterwards I decided to war story it XD

I assumed his Raichu wouldnt have surf as I was fairly certain he never knew about it, so I thought Golem didnt have much left in him being paralyzed and on so little life, so I could absorb the Thunder/Thunderbolt and get in some last damage with Earthquake.

I've also never heard of having more than one sleeper being normal, but you know more than me so I wouldnt be surprised XD

I've also never heard of having more than one sleeper being normal, but you know more than me so I wouldnt be surprised XD
The issue's not with having only one sleeper. The issue's with having only one sleeper, leading with it, and that sleeper lead being Gengar. If he'd led Zam and critted Psychic (23% chance), you would have had no sleep. If he didn't, but you missed Hypnosis (40% chance), you would have had a half-dead sleeper that would now die to anything that could hit it. You need a backup to give you more options. I typically use Sing Chansey, but Egg would also work against Zam (don't switch it into Starmie, though).

Having just one sleeper in the non-wrap meta is OK as long as you have another pokemon as your dedicated sleep absorber. In the case of using gengar as your sole sleeper, it's not a good idea to risk it against alakazam, because as Magic said there's a decent chance you'll lose your gengar without achieving anything. Zam isn't even that great to sleep, so it really isn't even worth the risk when you just go to chansey or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)