Pokémon Galvantula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex #: 596
Type: Bug/Electric
Stats: 70/77/60/97/60/108
Abilities: Compoundeyes/Unnerve/Swarm

Didn't see a thread for this guy yet, so thought I'd try to understand our little shocker bug friend. With crappy defenses at 70/60/60 this guy is quite fragile, BUT his good defensive typing only gives him 2 weaknesses, Fire and Rock.

So the only savior this guy has is Sticky Web, our new hazard. In my opinion(which isn't entirely based on the metagame, Galvantula is a favorite of mine :p), Galvantula is one of if not the best Sticky Webber. So this is the only reason to run him, although I will give some alternative non-SW sets just for fun.

Bug Zapper
Nature: Modest/Timid
EV Spread: 252 SpA 252 Spe 4 HP
Ability: Compoundeyes
-Bug Buzz
-Thunder
-Sticky Web
-Volt Switch/Energy Ball/Giga Drain
Item: Life Orb/ Leftovers

This set takes full advantage of Galv's good stats and Sticky Web, while giving him an option to escape with Volt Switch due to his poor defenses. Compoundeyes Thunder is 100% accuracy and hits pretty hard with his decent special attack. If you got balls and think you dont need Volt Switch, give him giga drain for more coverage and a way to heal outside of Lefties. If you got more balls and dont wanna heal then go Energy Ball for maximum firepower. Items are pretty explanatory, Leftovers is probably the best choice because Life Orb is better on a sweeper, but Galv's Thunder can get pretty strong with Life Orb.

Trap Em' and Zap Em'
Ability: Compoundeyes/Swarm
-Bug Buzz/Thunder
-Volt Switch
-Infestation
-Sticky Web
Item: Assault Vest

This set aims to give Galv just a little more bulk with Assault Vest and give it a specific/very situational job. The purpose is to have Sticky Web up, switch in on a special attack you know you can survive thanks to Assault Vest, and use Infestation to trap a fool. Then depending on whether or not you can take them out yourself, Volt Switch out to someone who can. Thunder will do more damage but will only give you electric attacking coverage, while Bug Buzz will give you more coverage. Use Compoundeyes for Thunder and Swarm for Bug Buzz.

Bug Booster
-Bug Buzz
-Thunder
-Charge Beam
-Thunder Wave/Electroweb
Item: Leftovers/Assault Vest

This set forgoes Sticky Web for a chance to give Galv a sweep. With Thunder Wave, the plan is to cripple the opponent and begin Charge Beaming to get that extra power. Even with 1 boost and a paralyzed opponent, you can at least get 1 kill hopefully. If you gotta have that extra bulk, roll with Assault Vest and Electro Web instead to cripple their speed and then hopefully force a switch out to get that Charge Beam off. A very niche set which many other mons do much better, but hey, bugs are fun.

Ideas?

I don't think he can use the vest very well with his pretty low defenses (also can't use sticky web with it). You're best bet would probably be to run focus sash if it's outsped or absolutely needs to set up sticky web.

Last edited:
yeah i tried to explain it but i shoulda just made 2 different sets out of the last one. Electroweb if you wanna use Assault Vest, otherwise Thunder Wave with Leftovers

I have used this thing in 5th gen and even though it doesn't have too many weaknesses, he's not exactly very good with bulk and 70/60/60, along with a weakness to stealth rocks. Considering he has a niche with sticky web and high accuracy thunder (which unfortunately for him got nerfed), his offensive stats should be taken advantage of with life orb or specs since his special attack is just average.

Thunder's accuracy is 95% and there is absolutely no point in running AV as you can't use sticky web, like the above poster said he should be ran with either LO or Specs

I admit the first set I have is the most viable and the one people will be running if he is going to be used at all. I was just playing around with the other sets, because he has a couple cool moves that he cant really take full advantage of :/

Galvantula can't take a hit very well, so I gave him a Focus Sash so when the other team lead is CharizardMega or another poke that OHKOes it, it can at least use Sticky Web.

I just don't believe having one good move has made Galvantula viable in OU. You basically have to carry and spin blocker to make Galvantula worth it. I'd rather use Smeargle and at least get Spore and Rocks added into the equation.

Can't see the use for Leftys here. I've used Galv in the previous gen and I assure you that even mild neutral hits often leave it far below 50%. So 1/16 recovery won't do anything for survivability. As for me, I'd recommend pretty gimmick but also surprisingly effective support set.

EV Spread: 248 HP / 252 Spe / 8 SpA
Ability: Compoundeyes/Swarm
-Thunder/Bug Buzz
-Toxic
-Sticky Web
-Gastro Accid
Item: Choice Scarf

Item is actually the pearl of the set. Scarfed Galvantula otspeeds everything including new 150Spe Megas, so it is absolutely shure to set up SW and switch out the next turn. Thanks to HP investmestment it gets a nice chance to keep appearing here and there throughout the game, throwing toxics. And the secondary supportive potential is hidden within Gastro Accid. It cripples a number of potent threats relying on their Abilities like Azumarill, Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Pinsir, lets it escape Mega Gengar and also may kick Talonflame's butt being neutral to his Flying STAB. T-Flame and Pinsir should be caught on the switch though.

Of course, Leftovers variation might be viable, but be shure to have Timid Nature.

Last edited:
I just don't believe having one good move has made Galvantula viable in OU. You basically have to carry and spin blocker to make Galvantula worth it. I'd rather use Smeargle and at least get Spore and Rocks added into the equation.
Galvantula with focus sash actually threatens magic bouncers, as they are all weak to this EleSpider's STABs. Smeargle just gets walled to no end...

252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 392-464 (117.71 - 139.33%) -- guaranteed OHKO (WHOOPS, accidentally did calculation with 120 BP Thunder.... fixed~)

252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 254-300 (76.04 - 89.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO while 0 SpA Espeon Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Galvantula: 190-224 (67.61 - 79.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
while 252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 254-300 (93.38 - 110.29%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Absol: 408-480 (150.55 - 177.12%) -- guaranteed OHKO while
252 Atk Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Galvantula: 220-259 (78.29 - 92.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ADD: Sticky web is actually really important. It effectively slows down MeLucario enough to be easily hit with an attack and MeGengar is grounded so Sticky web can really pull it's weight for a team, as most of the teams i'Ve seen on showdown do not galvantula. My cute little espeon has so much fun dealing with Smeargles that the opponent just forfeits a lot of the time.

While I love Galvantula to death, he will most likely not get to OU.

Which is nice since even in lower tiers Galvantula can shine even without Sticky Web, still it's the best user of the move, so it will have a niche in OU no doubt.

Although how does Thunder's Power nerf affect Galva? does anybody got some calcs?

If you want to "shot web", you're looking at a bunch of gonna-die Pokemon. Right now, Galvantula and Shuckle are likely the top of that list, and Galvantula has the advantage of actually generating a decent enough punch to potentially force people to switch. (Shuckle is...well, at least he's got Sturdy and can theoretically trap someone for a while with Infestation.)

Galvantula can be used in OU because of Sticky Web but only because he's got some ok attacking stats for cleanup, too. I've run a scarfed set with HP Ice before and it's useful for outspeeding/OHKOing Greninja, Gyarados with a DD up, Scarf Chomp, Gliscor, Starmie, Hydreigon (just a 2HKO I think) probably some other threats I can't think of

Galvantula @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sticky Web

I had Volt Switch on there but I never used it. I think the other 3 attacks are too important for coverage to give up, could possibly switch out Bug Buzz for Giga Drain when it comes out

Last edited:
Support
Nature: Timid
EV Spread: 252 Health 252 Spe 4 SpA
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Sticky Web
-Volt Switch/Giga Drain
Item: Focus Sash

Support
Nature: Timid
EV Spread: 252 Health 252 Spe 4 SpA
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Sticky Web
-Volt Switch/Giga Drain
Item: Focus Sash
If you're running Sash why bother investing EVs in HP?

Might as well put those in SpA to put more punch in Thunder.

Personally I think SW is one of the main reasons to run galvantula now. His speed tier guarantees the webs getting up. Plus hes a goid teammate for say goodra and venusaur who both love the SW help

Yes, this is generally the only reason to run galvy.
It's not in a bad place. If it's got a good opening matchup, you'll likely get in a free Web if their lead can't tolerate a Thunder/Bug Buzz and have something with decent firepower Galvantula will likely have a speed advantage on it can hit switching into Web. If you're a little whacky, you can even predict, Electroweb the likely Flying/Levitating switch-in, and leave most Pokemon who don't care about Web with a -1 Speed stat anyway, plus likely get one more cheap shot in before something swats the creepy thing.

It makes a really good speed bump in Gen VI, and it naturally can ladle hate on many of the Pokemon who would Defog the hazard away. This or Leavanny, with Shuckle as a suicide lead in third.

Leavanny and Shuckle aren't suicide leads in the slightest. The former has reliable recovery in the form of Synthesis and usable resistances (and abusable weaknesses that hinder it when it wants to check Fighting-types), and the second has huge bulk and Contrary Shell Smash to wall shit and set Sticky Web multiple times throughout the match.

Galvantula has the nature of a suicide lead due to its speed and frailty but does not want to be one either. Anyone remotely competent won't lead with their Defogger until SW has been laid down, and Galvantula has a good matchup against those Defoggers as well preventing them from coming in. Golem, Rhyperior and Gigalith all OHKO Galvantula with their Rock Blast assuming two hits, giving them free SR against Galvantula as they force it out - or a free kill otherwise, but two of them will reside in NU and the third remains UU, but Galvantula would not be OU either, so it will be somewhat common matchup in the lower tiers depending on where Galvantula ends up finally settling down.

No love for this cat?

I just traded for one, and I'm about to HAM CHEESE and BOLOGNA wit it.

1. Fastest Sticky Web user.
2. High accuracy thunder. And don't forget about the high chance to proc paralysis that comes with it. Yum. I've always been a fan of Discharge over Thunderbolt, but with Garvantula I can have both!
3. I think being a high speed mon with Volt Switch will work beautifully so he can deal damage, and not necessarily have to suicide lead after getting the webs up like a lot of entry hazard leads. Will work beautifully with bulky teams.
4. Rapid Spin aside, Defog will be seeing its use this gen, so it's nice to be able to hit super-effectively against most defogers (flying types.)
5. High-speed Substitute smasher with Bug Buzz! AND, with bug buzz, you'll be hitting everything for neutral damage, which is great considering how bad of offensive typing bug-type has.

Biggest problem will obviously be earth types, especially Mamoswine as a lead.

I mean, in my opinion, he should be seeing far more love this gen. He ONLY gained sticky web, but that made him a big threat in my opinion. He reminds me of Mamoswine, if you just slightly altered each little thing about him. Change the typing, alter the entry hazard, and exchange the priority for pivoting.

Look out world. Big daddy G is comin' for ya'!

His weakness is predictability; like everyone who sees the team preview will know hes the lead.

Then again, he has a sash so he can lay the sticky web, take the hit to 1 hp, and then switch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)