Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I'm confused why they gave Tywin the role that Roose was supposed to have. The show is making it seem like Tywin is a good and reasonable man which is completely untrue. The way he interacts with his lowly cupbearer are not indicative of how a ruthless lord would act.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You are confusing ruthless and outright evil. The Lannisters as a whole are complex group, only Joffrey is really evil. Though I do agree that this should have been Bolton's part.

Are you kidding me? Tywin is pure evil. Tyrion's entire life has been intentionally destroyed by his own father. Not to mention the plan that he comes up with about a particular wedding.... how is he not evil?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
If you've read that far ahead, you should know that his deal with Tyrion is complicated (and some of the back story is very vague). He is very ruthless, and he's done a lot of bad things without remorse but he's always done them to protect his family. Lannisters do have their own code of honor (A Lannister pays their debts), and it was Joffrey who dragged his family into war not Tywin.

A Song of Ice and Fire is much like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Tywin is Cao Cao. He's a hard and cunning man, but what exactly do you want him to do with his cupbearer, backhand her occasionaly?

At the same time...
the guy ordered the gang rape of a young girl in order to teach his 13 year old son a lesson about not marrying below his station, and forced Tyrion to take part (granted, the latter part probably isn't canon in the show).

I guess it depends on your definition of evil, but personally, I don't think you can claim he isn't after something like that. Yeah, he has his reasons for doing what he does (as opposed to people like Joffrey and Gregor Clegane who are basically only motivated by sadism)... but his actions are still pretty obviously evil. At the very least he has to be tied with Randyll Tarly for the Worst Father in Westeros award.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
But again, what exactly do you want him to do? Backhand Aria for no reason? That's not the kind of man he is, and at this point it's pretty silly to ask for less subtlety.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If you've read that far ahead, you should know that his deal with Tyrion is complicated (and some of the back story is very vague). He is very ruthless, and he's done a lot of bad things without remorse but he's always done them to protect his family
i wouldn't say the way he treated tyrion with the whole tysha thing was "good for him," that was just disgusting... but again i won't say he's "pure" evil either. i remember martin saying in an interview that none of his characters are pure good or pure evil, and used adolf hitler as an example to show that even a man like him was compassionate toward animals.

But again, what exactly do you want him to do? Backhand Aria for no reason? That's not the kind of man he is, and at this point it's pretty silly to ask for less subtlety.
Ah damn I thought I had actually addressed that in my last post. I don't agree with Justin in terms of how Tywin treats Arya, just that I do think he is an evil person. Tywin isn't all bad, and shouldn't be shown that way, but his bad qualities outweigh the good by far. It's sort of like with Cersei and Theon, they aren't cartoon villains and you understand why they make the decisions that they do... but the actions they take are so awful that they can (IMO) be labelled as evil people. This might just be because we think of the word evil in different terms, since I think someone can be a grey character while still being evil.

I've heard that quote before as well Atticus, though I'm not sure it holds up very well when you consider that Ramsey, Gregor and Joffrey are characters he's thought of. They're just pure sociopaths it seems, not a whole lot of justification for the truly disgusting stuff they pull.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I never thought I could hate a fictional character so much.. (I mean Joffrey, btw.)

I haven't really watched season 2 yet, but I am reading the book. Even though I stopped right now because I have exams and finals coming, so yeah. Plus I only reached like, page 25-30 lol.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I hope the writers let Tywin do something smart that Ned Stark would have baulked at - and have it work. It would raise some very interesting questions.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Uhhh... They didn't take out the Freys. Robb pledged to marry one of Walder's daughters in exchange for his support + crossing of the Twins, same as in the book.
okey
well I hadn't seen that happen, and then von said here that they had been taken out?
I was confused.

Are you kidding me? Tywin is pure evil. Tyrion's entire life has been intentionally destroyed by his own father. Not to mention the plan that he comes up with about a particular wedding.... how is he not evil?
Tywin may be a douche, but I think he's also sorta
I don't know
the good guy here?
What exactly has he done/does he do wrong? Besides seizing power from a shit king.
He can rule a fuck of a lot better than Robert can.

Robb's (stark) the one who shits everything up with his war. The population can starve to death before the winter because a crazy king killed your father? Booo fucking hooo

Speaking of Joffery (was considering posting this in the headlines thread but whatevs):

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I hope the writers let Tywin do something smart that Ned Stark would have baulked at - and have it work. It would raise some very interesting questions.
EDIT: I read that as Tyrion, sorry. Re-writing my thingy.

Well, already Tywin removed some members of his counsel at Harrenhal. One for being lazy, and one for making lots of mistakes in reading. Though those are small things, perhaps he'll be able to snoop out one that's untrustworthy-something that his son Tyrion did as well. To me, Ned's biggest problems were politics and trust-mostly among southerners.

And to the whole Tywin being evil thing; I think he's a good character in his own mind and his view on the world, with all this war shit going on and the three worst children you can ever have-a smartass, another smartass, and a bitchy self-loathing whore. I still can't stand him though. Not after what he did to a certain someone in a third book.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
They took out the Freys and the Crannogs from Bran's scenes in Winterfell.
ohhhh
I didn't even remember the frey's being at bran's dinner thing, thought it was only the widow who had that land
(who bolton's bastard marries? temporarily before 'arya')
Donnella! thank you awofai!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Oh yeahhhhh... Now I remember...

But yeah Tywin should do something necessary like butcher a bunch of babies for the greater good.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Just bought a Dance with Dragons today. Can't wait to continue reading this colossal beast. Tyrion's 1st chapter certainly was interesting.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Picked up this series as a summer read this year. Bought the first book and taking my sweet damn time reading it, since I want to read all the little details, and it's worth every minute.

Also, Tyrion Lannister is pretty damn amazing. His siblings are dicks however.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
No Jamie is a boss. One of my favorite characters, and the Cersei chapters are great to read since you have to realize that everyone always lies to her and pick out what is the truth and what isn't.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No Jamie is a boss. One of my favorite characters, and the Cersei chapters are great to read since you have to realize that everyone always lies to her and pick out what is the truth and what isn't.
Jamie has come off as overtly arrogant most of the time; I haven't been able to like him yet (maybe it'll change as I read the book? I don't know).

Not sure about Cersei, but I'm basing my opinion of her from the series. Again, maybe it'll change as I read the book.

They took out the Freys and the Crannogs from Bran's scenes in Winterfell.
This has been bothering me a LOT actually

So Rickon is just expected to die when Bran and Hodor go off? Because if Osha has to be the seer, then Rickon is boned.

Otherwise, I've been generally happy with this season, just like I was with last season. Minus the fact that a lot of the characters just don't look like how I want them to look. I made a point of reading the books before seeing the series, and overall the characters looked right-enough to me (the Stark children maybe not the best, but that's the long hair more than anything). But this season... Melisandre, Stannis, Davos, Asha (Yara or somesuch nonsense), Balon... it just seems like they're really off somehow. Brienne not as much, but I guess I missed the part where she was blonde :/

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I dunno, I enjoyed the episode today. Ygritte finally said her famous one-liner. Overall, drastic changes, but still, pretty enjoyable. Not something to get worked up over.

Anyway, just read Jon's first chapter in ADWD. Sucks being Lord Commander, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)