NU Garbodor [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Overview
########

Garbodor is one of the best Spikers in NU because it has a great defensive typing in Poison that complements its natural bulk and allows it to check common threats such as Slurpuff and Sceptile. Additionally, it does a decent amount of damage even without investment, making it difficult to switch in offensive Pokemon and stop Garbodor from setting up entry hazards. It also has a wide movepool to threaten its would-be safe switch-ins, such as Rhydon and Kabutops. When its job is done, Aftermath lets it act as an emergency check to most contact attackers. Garbodor mainly suffers from its lack of reliable recovery, which makes it very vulnerable to getting worn down, especially by opposing entry hazards.

Spikes
########
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Gunk Shot
move 3: Drain Punch
move 4: Toxic Spikes / Toxic
ability: Aftermath
item: Rocky Helmet
evs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Spikes wears down the opponent's entire team, and Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB move that deals a lot of damage to offensive threats that may try to stop Garbodor from setting up multiple layers of Spikes. Drain Punch hits Steel-types, namely Klinklang and Pawniard. Toxic Spikes is Garbodor's second source of passive damage and is great for wearing down defensive teams while putting bulky threats such as Kangaskhan on a timer. On the other hand, Toxic is useful if the opponent has a Poison-type to play around Toxic Spikes and especially shines against Levitate users such as Uxie and Mismagius. Alternatively, Seed Bomb is a specialized coverage option to use against Rhydon, Kabutops, and Seismitoad; however, it does pitiful damage even to targets weak to Grass, 3HKOing Rhydon and offensive Sandslash at best. Pain Split is unreliable, but it is Garbodor's best way of recovering HP without having to rely on Wish support. Finally, Clear Smog prevents most opposing setup and is especially good against Malamar and Gurdurr.

Set Details
========

96 Speed EVs allow Garbodor to outrun neutral-natured max Speed base 55s, such as Exeggutor and Cacturne. Max HP investment gives optimal overall bulk, and the remaining EVs are put into Defense with an Impish nature to better handle Belly Drum Slurpuff, Fighting-types, and often-physical contact moves. However, putting those EVs into Special Defense with a Careful nature allows Garbodor to serve as a premier check to specially attacking Grass-types, such as Sceptile. Aftermath makes Garbodor an emergency check and good sacrifice to contact move users, such as Kangaskhan and Feraligatr. Rocky Helmet inflicts further chip damage, not only synergizing well with Aftermath but also preventing opposing spinners from removing entry hazards if they go down to its recoil damage. Black Sludge can also be used instead to give Garbodor some passive recovery while discouraging opposing Pokemon from using Trick and Switcheroo.

Usage Tips
========

Set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes depending on the opposing team. Spikes cripples common bulky offense teams that rely on their bulk to check offensive threats, while Toxic Spikes wears down more defensive teams with constant passive damage. Preserve Toxic Spikes by keeping up offensive pressure to prevent opposing Poison-types from switching in. Use Toxic to punish predictable Uxie and Mismagius switch-ins. Because Gunk Shot does plenty of damage and has a high chance to poison, if the opponent's team relies on offensive pressure to check Garbodor, simply throw out a Gunk Shot, as Garbodor will either take minimal damage from something it checks and take it down, or hit one of its supposed checks for a good amount of damage on the switch. Do not bother with using Drain Punch against Rock-types with high Defense; setting up entry hazards on a predicted Rock-type switch-in is usually the better option. If Garbodor carries Seed Bomb, wait until Rhydon and Sandslash are worn down to the point where they can be 2HKOed and catch them by surprise. However, hitting Kabutops on the switch with Seed Bomb prevents it from spinning even if it were to survive with a sliver of HP. If Garbodor carries Clear Smog, it can set up Spikes against Gurdurr without letting it get out of hand.

Garbodor's selling point compared to competing Spikers, such as Accelgor and Crustle, is its strength as a mid-game pivot with solid bulk and damage output, making Garbodor by far the best Spiker on bulky offense teams. Switching it into Fake Out and U-turn will hurt the foe while Garbordor takes minimal damage; however, it should be careful of taking such chip damage, as it has no way to regain health bar the unreliable Pain Split. Don't let it take damage just to give Rocky Helmet recoil, especially if you need to preserve it to check another threat. Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Hariyama can also opt to use Earthquake, bypassing Aftermath and Rocky Helmet while doing massive damage to Garbodor. If the opponent's team looks to have no other good ways of beating Garbodor, be extra cautious against these Pokemon that it would usually does well against, as they are most likely carrying Earthquake. Finally, if it is too low in HP to be of any real use, sacrifice it to a contact move to deal massive recoil to the attacker.

Team Options
========

Garbodor is the Spiker of choice for most teams, ranging from bulky offense to full stall. Rotom is one of the best teammates: it spinblocks, has access to Volt Switch to utilize entry hazard support, checks Archeops, and fits well into both bulky offense and balance. Mismagius can also spinblock and prevent opposing Defog with Taunt. Alternatively, Pawniard and Primeape discourage the foe from using Defog, as they get a +2 Attack boost from its evasion drop thanks to Defiant. Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, and Archeops are offensive threats that greatly benefit from Spikes support and prevent the foe from using Rapid Spin or Defog by applying offensive pressure. Feraligatr can bypass most of its soft checks, such as Seismitoad and Vileplume, with Spikes support. Fake Out Kangaskhan synergizes with Toxic Spikes support. When using bulky offense with Garbodor, remember that pairing two attackers with similar checks, such as Klinklang and Feraligatr—both of which are often checked by Seismitoad—will nearly guarantee that the two Pokemon get to bypass their shared check with Spikes support. Sceptile, Leafeon, and Lilligant beat Rock- and Ground-types for Garbodor and resist Earthquake, while Pawniard and Liepard check Ghost- and Psychic-types for it. Pyroar handily checks Mismagius without being crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Seismitoad and Garbodor are a common duo due to their great defensive synergy. Stall teams can also use Garbodor, as Audino provides Wish support, making the two a great stall core. Steelix is also a great teammate on stall teams, as it checks common threats to stall teams: Archeops and Calm Mind Uxie. They get a relatively free switch into Garbodor, so having a durable switch-in for them is very important.

Other Options
########

Haze is a way to deny opposing setup that goes through Substitute and affects Steel-types, unlike Clear Smog. It can be a good option if Garbodor is strapped for moveslots to carry both Drain Punch and Clear Smog, but note that Haze, Spikes, and B2W2 tutor moves, such as Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, and Pain Split, together on the same set is illegal. Weak Armor in conjunction with Focus Sash allows Garbodor to run a suicide Spiker set, but that is a job done better by Crustle and Qwilfish. It has access to other offensive moves with minimal use: Rock Blast destroys common Focus Sash users such as Ninjask; Giga Drain hits physically defensive Pokemon such as Rhydon; and Explosion has good Base Power and denies Rapid Spin and Defog.

Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt, Rapid Spin, and Defog**: Taunt can really cripple Garbodor, especially because its common users, Archeops and Mismagius, shut down its offensive options as well. Rapid Spin and Defog remove entry hazards; however, most Rapid Spinners, such as Kabutops and Crygonal, cannot switch into Garbodor. Defog users, such as Swanna, Pelipper, and Archeops, nearly guarantee entry hazards removal, and the threat of Defog means that Garbodor cannot take too much damage while trying to setting up entry hazards, as they will be removed anyways.

**Bulky Psychic-types Pokemon**: Bulky Psychic-types such as Mesprit, Xatu, Uxie, and Musharna can all tank a Gunk Shot and hit Garbodor with Psychic, but they need to be careful of getting worn down, especially if Gunk Shot's high poison chance comes into effect. Xatu can even bounce Garbodor's entry hazards back. Uxie takes negligible damage from any of Garbodor's attacks, ignores its entry hazards thanks to Levitate, and poses a huge offensive threat with a Substitute + Calm Mind set, but it does not appreciate the high chance of poison from Gunk Shot on the switch. Musharna has access to recovery and Heal Bell to prevent Garbodor from wearing it down, but it is very susceptible to entry hazards.

**Bulky Rock-, or Ground-types**: Bulky Rock- and Ground-types, such as Regirock, Crustle, and Sandslash, can tank all of Garbodor's attacks, laugh at its Drain Punch, and then do whatever they please. However, Seed Bomb hits Rhydon and Seismitoad for respectable damage. Also, switching into most of these Pokemon will guarantee Garbodor multiple layers of Spikes, as they are rather slow.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Mismagius, Rotom, and Haunter can easily switch into a Gunk Shot and are immune to both Drain Punch and Spikes. They also do significant damage to Garbodor with Shadow Ball, and Mismagius often carries Taunt, which completely stops Garbodor from doing anything.

**Offensive Pressure**: Wallbreakers such as Samurott and Typhlosion threaten to deal massive amounts of damage to Garbodor. While they have a hard time switching in, Garbodor cannot set up Spikes if pitted against these Pokemon without sacrificing itself or taking irreparable damage.

**Passive Damage**: Garbodor's inability to regain health costs it dearly because it makes it very vulnerable to repeated chip damage. For example, Garbodor often switches into common Fighting-types, but even resisted hits will eventually take their toll. Garbodor is notably weak to Spikes, and Pokemon such as Crustle and Accelgor can stop it from staying healthy enough to take hits.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
idk if i missed it or not, but if it isn't already mentionned i would talk about how garbodor can work on more offensive teams in TO (bulky offense), balance, stall, etc (you talk a lot about balance teammates and then randomly mention audino for stall core)

looks good, add this ^ somewhere and 1/3

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Don't Feraligatr Rotom Kanga Sceptile and stuff good for both bulky offense and balance? Always felt the difference in bulky offense and balance can get real thin, and if a difference exists, it doesn't lie on what bulky offense use that balance don't use, more like what balance use that bulky offense don't use (stuff that are put there to tank attacks, not for doing manly damage like Seismitoad.)

I reordered them trying to get a more reasonable flow, hope that's what you meant by that

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would mention in UT how Pokemon like Kanga and others might try to KO Garbodor with a non contact physical move such as Earthquake to avoid the aftermath damage.

Beef up C&C, add in specifics of situations that Garbodor might encounter with the C&Cs. Also make sure to give examples of Pokemon who fill the role for each section.

Do this and tag me back and I'll give a check.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks good.

I would also mention in UT that if Garbodor is at like 5% or will be after hazards switch in that you can save it as fodder against Pokemon like kanga and what not.

2/3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Idt you should compare Garbo to Accelgor / Crustle in the Overview and Usage Tips, they play different roles since the latter two are suicide leads while the former is a bulky pivot

When you mention offensive presence, also make note of its wide movepool and customizable moveset

In the point about Haze, also note that Haze is illegal with Spikes + BW2 tutor moves, which is Clear Smog's main advantage

VoltTurn support in TO is weird to me, I definitely don't think it's all so necessary for Garbodor that it's worth specifically mentioning tbh

Do this and I'll check again Amarillo

marilli

With you
yo i was thinking more of spikes supporting volturn not the other way around but yeah i can take that out ez np

also i actually didn't know haze was illegal with stuff because honestly i think its kind of bad and steel-type boosters are better fought off by drain punch lol. sub stat boosters = subcm uxie and you still get wrecked regardless of what you're running anyways, unless toxic on the switch. Do tell me if I'm actually missing any real benefits of haze other than 'it works against steels and substitute'

i wouldn't actually mind if haze goes to oo and just clear smog stays in moves, whacha guys think

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Haze's main use is if you want a way prevent Gurdurr + Steels from setting up in one moveslot (like if you already have Spikes + TSpikes + Gunk Shot), but yeah I'm fine with it in OO since it's pretty situational

QC 3/3

Ares

yo i wrote this up but it seems like this is much longer than other analyses ?_?

I guess i'll let GP deal with that
well Garbodor is a unique Pokemon who needs a lot of detail in UT soooo you got that covered!

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hiya, amcheck here. :)
Overview
########

Garbodor is one of the best Spikers in NU, with a great defensive typing in. (remove period) Poison is a great defensive type, which complementings Garbodor's its natural bulk and allowings it to serve as a great check to common threats such as Slurpuff and Sceptile. Additionally, Garbodor does a decent amount of damage even without investment, making it difficult to offensively react to and stop Garbodor prevent from getting entry hazards on the field up. Garbodor also has a wide movepool, that allowings it to bypass threaten its would-be safe switch-ins, (AC) such as Rhydon and Kabutops. When Garbodor's job is done, Aftermath lets it act as an emergency check to most physical attackers that make contact. Garbodor mainly suffers from its inability to regain health lack of recovery moves, which makes it very weak vulnerable to getting worn down, especially by opposing entry hazards.

Spikes
########

Moves
========

Spikes wears down the opponent's' entire team, and does a lot of damage throughout the game, (<-- fluff, and it's essentially repeating the first part of the sentence) (AC). (remove period) whereas Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB move that deals a lot of damage to offensive threats that are incentivized to switching in to prevent and stop Garbodor from getting multiple layers of Spikes up. Drain Punch hits Steel-types, such as Pawniard and Klinklang, (I moved this because Pawniard and Klinklang are examples of Steel-types, not Steel-types immune to Gunk Shot, because all Steel-types are immune to Gunk Shot.) which are immune to Gunk Shot, namely Klinklang and Pawniard, while and gives it giving Garbodor an opportunity to get some minor recovery against them. Toxic Spikes is Garbodor's second source method of inflicting passive damage on the foe, (RC) and is great for wearing down defensive teams, (RC) while putting bulky threats, (AC) such as Kangaskhan, (AC) on a timer. On the other hand, Toxic is useful if they have the opponent has a Poison-type to play around Toxic Spikes with, and it especially shines against Levitating threatse users, (AC) such as Uxie and Mismagius. Seed Bomb is a specialized coverage option against Rhydon, Kabutops, and Seismitoad.; however, it does pitiful damage even to even targets weak to Grass, 3HKOing Rhydon and offensive Sandslash at best. Pain Split is unreliable, but it is Garbodor's best way of regaining lost recovering HP without having to rely on Wish support. Finally, Clear Smog prevents enemy opposing setup while doing minimal damage, (RC) and is especially good against Malamar and Gurdurr. (Neither Clear Smog nor Pain Split are in the set??)

Set Details
========

96 Speed EVs allow Garbodor to outrun Pokemon with maxed Speed at a base stat of 55 max Speed base 55s, such as Exeggutor and Cacturne. HP is maxed for optimal overall bulk, and the remaining EVs are rest is put into Defense alongside with an Impish nature for to better handle Fighting-types such as Hariyama, Belly Drum Slurpuff, and overall better handle the often-physical contact moves, and Fighting-types, such as Hariyama (I moved this because there is ambiguity as to whether Belly Drum Slurpuff is an example of the category 'FIghting-types.'). However, putting those EVs into Special Defense with a Careful nature allows Garbodor to serve as a premier check for to specially attacking Grass-types attackers, (AC) such as Sceptile. Aftermath is the superior ability, (AC) as it makes Garbodor an emergency check and a good sacrifice against to contact-move (remove hyphen) (You'd need the hyphen there if there was some ambiguity in the meaning of the sentence. If there was ambiguity, it could either mean 'users of contact moves' (with the hyphen) or 'move users that contact,' both of which make sense in the context of Pokemon. Its technically not incorrect, but I feel that it looks awkward (regardless of its correctness) and should be removed as such as it isn't required. <- whoa long comment) users, (AC) such as Kangaskhan or and Feraligatr. Rocky Helmet further applies further chip damage., and not only does it synergize well with Aftermath, but it also prevents Rapid Spin opposing spinners from removing entry hazards if they spinner goes down to its recoil damage while using Rapid Spin. Black Sludge can also be used instead to give Garbodor some passive regeneration recovery while discouraging opposing the use of Trick or and Switcheroo users.

Usage Tips
========

Set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes depending on the opposing teams. Spikes cripples the common bulky offense teams that rely on their bulk to check offensive threats. On the other hand, Toxic Spikes wears down more defensive teams with constant passive damage. Keep offensive pressure on the opponent field to preserve Toxic Spikes against enemy opposing Poison-types by preventing them from switching in. Use Toxic to punish predictable Uxie and Mismagius switch-ins. Gunk Shot does plenty of damage with and has a high poison chance to poison. If the enemy opponent's team relies on offensive pressure to check Garbodor, simply throw out a Gunk Shot. Either as you'Garbodor will either take minimal damage from something a foe you it checks and take it down, or you'll hit the one of its supposed checks for good damage on the switch. Do not bother with using Drain Punch against Rock-types with high Defense:; setting up entry hazards on a predicted Rock-type switch-in is usually the better option if a switch into a Rock-type is obvious. If Garbodor carries Seed Bomb, wait until Rhydon and Sandslash are worn down until it to the point where they can be 2HKOed, (RC) and catch them by surprise. However, hitting Kabutops on the switch with Seed Bomb denies the its using Rapid Spin even if it were to survive with a sliver of HP. If Garbodor carries Clear Smog, it can set up Spikes against Gurdurr without letting it get out of hand set up for free.

Garbodor's selling point when compared to competing Spikers, (AC) such as Accelgor and Crustle, (AC) is its strength as a mid-game pivot with solid bulk and damage output, which. This makes Garbodor by far the best Spiker for on bulky offense teams. Switching Garbodor into Fake Outs and U-turns will put the hurt the enemy foe while taking minimal damage itself. However, Garbodor should be careful of taking those such chip damage, as it has no way to reliably regain health bar the unreliable. Pain Split is an attempt at fixing that weakness, but it is still very unreliable. Don't let Garbodor take damage just because you can get to get that Rocky Helmet chip damage off on a foe, especially if you need to preserve Garbodor it to check something else another. Not to mention, Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Hariyama can opt to use Earthquake, bypassing Aftermath and Rocky Helmet while doing massive damage to Garbodor. If the enemy opponent's team looks to have no good other good ways of beating Garbodor, be extra cautious against these Pokemon that Garbodor would usually does well against, as they are most likely carrying Earthquake. Finally, if Garbodor is too low in HP to be of any real use, sacrifice it into contact moves to give them the foe massive recoil.

Team Options
========

Garbodor is the Spiker of choice for majority of most teams, (AC) ranging from bulky offense to full out stall. Rotom is one of the best teammates. (remove period) as it spinblocks, has access Volt Switch to utilize entry hazards support, checks Archeops, and fits well into both bulky offense and balance. Mismagius can also block Rapid Spin spinblock and even deny prevent opposing Defog with Taunt. Alternatively, Pawniard and Primeape discourage the foe from using Defog, (AC) as they get a +2 Attack boost from Defog its evasion drop thanks to Defiant. Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, and Archeops are offensive threats that benefit heavily from Spikes support, (RC) and prevent the enemy foe from using Rapid Spin or Defog with by applying offensive threat pressure. Feraligatr will bypass most of Garbodor's soft checks, (AC) such as Seismitoad and Vileplume, (AC) with Spikes support. Fake Out Kangaskhan (remove extra space here) synergizes well with Toxic Spikes support. When using bulky offense with Garbodor, remember that pairing two attackers with similar checks, such as Klinklang and Feraligatr - —both of which are often both checked by Seismitoad - —, together will (Smogon uses the em dash without a space on either side) nearly guarantee you that the two Pokemon get to bypass your their shared check with Spikes support. Sceptile, Leafeon, and Lilligant beat Rock- and Ground-types for Garbodor and resist Earthquake., while Pawniard and Liepard check Ghost- and Psychic-types for Garbodor it. Pyroar handily checks Mismagius without being crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Seismitoad is a very common teammate and Garbodor are a common duo due to their defensive synergy together. Stall teams can also use Garbodor:, as Audino gives provides Wish support, making them two a great stall core. Steelix is also a great teammate when using Garbodor on stall teams, as it checks common woes for threats to stall teams: Archeops and Calm Mind Uxie. They, both of which get a relatively free switch against into Garbodor, so having a durable switch-in for them is very important.

Other Options
########
(remove extra empty line)
Haze is a way to deny opposing setup that goes through Substitute and affects Steel-types, unlike Clear Smog. (remove period) and can be a good option if Garbodor is strapped for moveslots to carry both Drain Punch and Clear Smog, it can be a good option. Note that Haze, Spikes, and BW2 tutor moves, such as Gunk Shot, (This is important to mention as Gunk Shot is one of the main moves on the set.) together on the same set is illegal. Weak Armor and in conjunction with Focus Sash allows Garbodor to run a suicide Spiker set, but that is a job done better by Crustle or and Qwilfish. Garbodor has access to these other offensive moves, which have with minimal uses:; for example, Rock Blast destroys common Focus Sash users on set up (<-- what does this even mean), such as Ninjask; Giga Drain hits physically defensive Pokemon, such as Rhydon, better, such as Rhydon; and Explosion has good base power and denies foes from using Rapid Spin and Defog.
(remove extra empty line)
Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt, Rapid Spin, and Defog**: Taunt can really cripple Garbodor, especially as because its common users, Archeops and Mismagius, shut down its offensive options as well., whereas Rapid Spin and Defog removes entry hazards. However, most Rapid Spinners spinners, such as Kabutops and Crygonal, (AC) cannot switch into Garbodor. Defog users, (AC) such as Swanna, Pelliper, and Archeops, (AC) nearly guarantees entry hazards removal, and the threat of Defog makes it such that means Garbodor cannot take too much damage while trying to setting up entry hazards, (RC) as they will get be removed anyways.

**Bulky Psychic-types Pokemon**: Mesprit, Xatu, Uxie, (AC) and Musharna can all tank a Gunk Shot and hit Garbodor with Psychic, but they need to be careful of getting worn down, especially if Gunk Shot's high poison chance comes into effect poisons them. Xatu can even bounce Garbodor's entry hazards back, as long as the opponent plays it with predictions as well. Uxie takes negligible damage from any of Garbodor's attacks, ignores his its entry hazards thanks to Levitate, and poses a huge offensive threat with a Substitute + Calm Mind set, but it does would not appreciate the high Poison chance of a poison from Gunk Shot on the switch. Musharna has access to recovery and Heal Bell to prevent Garbodor from wearing it down, (AC) but is very weak to entry hazards.

**Bulky Rock-, or Ground-types**: Bulky Rock- and Ground-types, (AC) such as Regirock, Crustle and Sandslash, (AC) can tank all of Garbodor's attacks, laugh at the its Drain Punch, and then do whatever they please. However, Seed Bomb hits Rhydon and Seismitoad for respectable damage. Also, switching into most of these Pokemon will guarantee Garbodor multiple layers of Spikes, as they are rather slow.

**Ghost-types**: Mismagius, Rotom, and Haunter can easily switch in on the a Gunk Shot, (RC) and is are immune to both Drain Punch and Spikes. They also do significant damage to Garbodor with Shadow Ball, and Mismagius often carries Taunt, which and completely stops Garbodor from doing anything to it.

**Offensive Pressure**: Wallbreakers, (AC) such as Samurott and Typhlosion, (AC) threaten massive damage on Garbodor. While they have a hard time switching in, Garbodor cannot set up Spikes but if pitted against them these Pokemon, Garbodor cannot set up Spikes without sacrificing itself or otherwise taking irreparable damage.

**Passive Damage**: Garbodor's inability to regain health lack of recovery moves costs him it dearly here as it. Garbodor is very prone vulnerable ('Prone to' refers to an increased tendency to do something, whereas 'vulnerable' refers to being unprotected from or easily hurt by something.) to repeated chip damage. Garbodor often switches into the common Fighting-types, but even resisted hits will eventually take its their toll on him it. Most notable is his Garbodor's weakness to entry hazards, and (Garbodor is only weak to Spikes; it's neutral to Stealth Rock and immune to Toxic Spikes.) Spikes from Pokemon such as Crustle or Accelgor, which can stop Garbodor it from staying healthy enough to take hits.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
Hiya, amcheck here. :)
thanks, try using less which

And don't touch content in grammar checks. Garbodor learns Gunk Shot by level-up, Vileplume doesn't check Garbodor, etc. Just ask if you think something's wrong / need to be added.

Weebl

Hey!
Oh, my bad on the Gunk Shot thing. When did I change anything to say Vileplume checks Garbodor though? You wrote that it was a soft check to Garbodor.

Weebl

Hey!
Oh, hehe I should have thought of that. You were just talking about Feraligatr + Garbodor being good, so it made more sense in my head for that to be referring to Garbodor.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Amcheck

Unlike above, my (very few) content changes were intentional. I'll explain why in a bit

My first change, i felt that bit was a tad long and I felt cutting those words basically retained the overall meaning. Maybe you disagree, but it's kinda long even if you do, so...idk, do something else then.

Clear smog:most. In addition to steels, there are a fair amount of sub setup mons, so it's worth it.

"The unreliable pain split" change. This is actually my largest content change, albeit subtly. My version really refers to drain punch since pain split is a moves mention. However, thanks to how i wrote it, pain split is not excluded, yet not called out specifically.

Also worth noting giga is for phys. D rocks like regirock imo, feel free to disagree.

I don't like 'taunt prevents you from doing anything', mismagius is no physical beast and gunk poison is no fun for it.

Overview
########

Garbodor is one of the best Spikers in NU. A great defensive typing in Poison complements its natural bulk and allows it to serve as a great check to common threats such as Slurpuff and Sceptile. Additionally, it does a decent amount of damage even without investment, making it difficult to switch in offensive Pokemon and stop Garbodor from getting entry hazards up. It also has a wide movepool to threaten its would-be safe switch-ins, such as Rhydon and Kabutops. When its job is done, Aftermath lets it act as an emergency check to most physical attackers that make contact. Garbodor mainly suffers from its lack of reliable recovery which makes it very vulnerable to getting worn down, especially by opposing entry hazards.

Spikes
########

Moves
========

Spikes wears down the opponent's entire team, and Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB move that deals a lot of damage to offensive threats that may try to switch in and stop Garbodor from getting multiple layers of Spikes up. Drain Punch hits Steel-types, namely Klinklang and Pawniard. Toxic Spikes is Garbodor's second source of passive damage and is great for wearing down defensive teams while putting bulky threats such as Kangaskhan on a timer. On the other hand, Toxic is useful if the opponent has a Poison-type to play around Toxic Spikes and especially shines against Levitate users such as Uxie and Mismagius. Seed Bomb is a specialized coverage option against Rhydon, Kabutops, and Seismitoad. However, it does pitiful damage even to targets weak to Grass, 3HKOing Rhydon and offensive Sandslash at best. Pain Split is unreliable, but it is Garbodor's best way of recovering HP without having to rely on Wish support. Finally, Clear Smog prevents most opposing setup and is especially good against Malamar and Gurdurr.

Set Details
========

96 Speed EVs allow Garbodor to outrun neutral max Speed base 55s, such as Exeggutor and Cacturne. Max HP gives maxed for optimal overall bulk, and the remaining EVs are put into Defense with an Impish nature to better handle Belly Drum Slurpuff, Fighting-types, and often-physical contact moves. However, putting those EVs into Special Defense with a Careful nature allows Garbodor to serve as a premier check to specially attacking Grass-types, such as Sceptile. Aftermath is the superior ability as it makes Garbodor an emergency check and good sacrifice to contact move users, such as Kangaskhan and Feraligatr. Rocky Helmet applies further chip damage, and not only does it synergize well with Aftermath, but it also prevents opposing spinners from removing entry hazards if they go down to its recoil damage. Black Sludge can also be used instead to give Garbodor some passive recovery while discouraging opposing Trick and Switcheroo users.

Usage Tips
========

Set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes depending on the opposing team. Spikes cripples common bulky offense teams that rely on their bulk to check offensive threats. On the other hand, Toxic Spikes wears down more defensive teams with constant passive damage. Preserve Toxic Spikes by keeping up offensive pressure to prevent opposing Poison-types from switching in. Use Toxic to punish predictable Uxie and Mismagius switch-ins. Gunk Shot does plenty of damage and has a high chance to poison., Iso if the opponent's team relies on offensive pressure to check Garbodor, simply throw out a Gunk Shot, as Garbodor will either take minimal damage from something it checks and take it down, or hit one of its supposed checks for good damage on the switch. Do not bother with using Drain Punch against Rock-types with high Defense; setting up entry hazards on a predicted Rock-type switch-in is usually the better option. If Garbodor carries Seed Bomb, wait until Rhydon and Sandslash are worn down to the point where they can be 2HKOed and catch them by surprise. However, hitting Kabutops on the switch with Seed Bomb prevents it from spinning even if it were to survive with a sliver of HP. If Garbodor carries Clear Smog, it can set up Spikes against Gurdurr without letting it get out of hand.

Garbodor's selling point compared to competing Spikers, such as Accelgor and Crustle, is its strength as a mid-game pivot with solid bulk and damage output, making Garbodor by far the best Spiker on bulky offense teams. Switching Garbodor into Fake Outs and U-turns will hurt the foe while takincurring minimal damage. However, itGarbodor should be careful of taking such chip damage, as it has no reliable way to regain health bar the unreliable Pain Split. Don't let it take damage just tfo giver Rocky Helmet recoil, especially if you need to preserve it to check another threat. Note to menhation, Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Hariyama can opt to use Earthquake, bypassing Aftermath and Rocky Helmet while doing massive damage to Garbodor. If the opponent's team looks to have no other good ways of beating Garbodor, be extra cautious against these Pokemon such as these that it would usually does well against, as they are most likely carrying Earthquake. Finally, if itGarbodor is too low in HP to be of any real use, sacrifice it to contact moves to give the foe massive recoil.

Team Options
========

Garbodor is the Spiker of choice for most teams, ranging from bulky offense to full stall. Rotom is one of ithes best teammates: it spinblocks, has access to Volt Switch to utilize entry hazard support, checks Archeops, and fits well into both bulky offense and balance. Mismagius can also spinblock and prevent opposing Defog with Taunt. Alternatively, Pawniard and Primeape discourage the foe from using Defog, as they get a +2 Attack boost from its evasion drop thanks to Defiant. Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, and Archeops are offensive threats that benefit heavily from Spikes support and prevent the foe from using Rapid Spin or Defog by applying offensive pressure. Feraligatr will bypass most of its soft checks, such as Seismitoad and Vileplume, with Spikes support., and Fake Out Kangaskhan makesyner gizood uses withof Toxic Spikes support. When using bulky offense with Garbodor, remember that pairing two attackers with similar checks, such as Klinklang and Feraligatr—both of which are often checked by Seismitoad—, will nearly guarantee that the two Pokemon get to bypass their shared check with Spikes support. Sceptile, Leafeon, and Lilligant beat Rock- and Ground-types for Garbodor and resist Earthquake, while Pawniard and Liepard check Ghost- and Psychic-types for it. Pyroar handily checks Mismagius without being crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Seismitoad and Garbodor are a common duo due to their defensive synergy. Stall teams can also use Garbodor, as Audino provides Wish support, making the two a great stall core. Steelix is also a great teammate on stall teams, mas it checks commfon threats to stGallrbodor, tcheams:cking Archeops and Calm Mind Uxie., two large threats to stall; as Tthey get a relatively free switch into Garbodor, so having a durable switch-in for them is very important.

Other Options
########

Haze is a way to deny opposing setup that goes through Substitute and affects Steel-types, unlike Clear Smog. It can be a good option if Garbodor is too strapped for moveslots to carry both Drain Punch and Clear Smog, but note that having Haze, Spikes, and BW2 tutor moves, such as Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, and Pain Split, together on the same set, is illegal. Weak Armor and in conjunction with Focus Sash allows Garbodor to run a suicide Spiker set, but that is a job done better by Crustle and Qwilfish. ItGarbodor has access to other offensive moves with minimal use: Rock Blast destroys common Focus Sash users such as Ninjask; Giga Drain hits physically defensive PRockem- and Ground-types, such as Rhydon; and Explosion has good base power and denies Rapid Spin and Defog.

Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt, Rapid Spin, and Defog**: Taunt can really cripple Garbodor, especially as because its common users, Archeops and Mismagius, shut down its offensive options as well. Rapid Spin and Defog removes entry hazards. However, most Rapid Spinners spinners, such as Kabutops and Crygonal, cannot switch into Garbodor. Defog users, such as Swanna, Pelliper, and Archeops, nearly guarantees entry hazards removal, and the threat of Defog makes it such that means Garbodor cannot take too much damage while trying to setting up entry hazards, as they will get be removed anyways.

**Bulky Psychic-types Pokemon**: Mesprit, Xatu, Uxie, and Musharna can all tank a Gunk Shot and hit Garbodor with Psychic, but they need to be careful of getting worn down, especially if Gunk Shot's high poison chance comes into effect. Xatu can even bounce Garbodor's entry hazards back. Uxie takes negligible damage from any of Garbodor's attacks, ignores his its entry hazards thanks to Levitate, and poses a huge offensive threat with a Substitute + Calm Mind set, but it does not appreciate the high chance of poison from Gunk Shot on the switch. Musharna has access to recovery and Heal Bell to prevent Garbodor from wearing it down, but is very weak to entry hazards.

**Bulky Rock-, or Ground-types**: Bulky Rock- and Ground-types, such as Regirock, Crustle and Sandslash, can tank all of Garbodor's attacks, laugh at the its Drain Punch, and then do whatever they please. However, Seed Bomb hits Rhydon and Seismitoad for respectable damage. Also, and switching into most of these Pokemon will guarantee Garbodor multiple layers of Spikes, as they are rather slow.

**Ghost-types**: Mismagius, Rotom, and Haunter can easily switch in on the a Gunk Shot and are immune to both Drain Punch and Spikes. They also do significant damage to Garbodor with Shadow Ball, and Mismagius often carries Taunt which completely stops Garbodor from dolaying aenytry hazards or using Toxic.

**Offensive Pressure**: Wallbreakers, such as Samurott and Typhlosion, threaten massive damage on Garbodor. While they have a hard time switching in, Garbodor cannot set up Spikes if pitted against these Pokemon without sacrificing itself or otherwise taking irreparable damage.

**Passive Damage**: Garbodor's inability to regain health costs it dearly. Garbodor is very vulnerable to repeated chip damage. It often switches into the common Fighting-types, but even resisted hits will eventually take their toll. Garbodor is notably weak to Spikes, and Pokemon such as Crustle or Accelgor can stop it from staying healthy enough to take hits.

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########

Garbodor is one of the best Spikers in NU. (remove period) and has a great defensive typing in Poison that complements its natural bulk and allows it to serve as a great check to common threats such as Slurpuff and Sceptile. Additionally, it does a decent amount of damage even without investment, making it difficult to switch in offensive Pokemon and stop Garbodor from getting setting up entry hazards up. It also has a wide movepool to threaten its would-be safe switch-ins, such as Rhydon and Kabutops. When its job is done, Aftermath lets it act as an emergency check to most physical attackers that make contact. Garbodor mainly suffers from its lack of reliable recovery, (AC) which makes it very vulnerable to getting worn down, especially by opposing entry hazards.

Spikes
########

Moves
========

Spikes wears down the opponent's entire team, and Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB move that deals a lot of damage to offensive threats that may try to stop Garbodor from setting up getting multiple layers of Spikes up. Drain Punch hits Steel-types, namely Klinklang and Pawniard. Toxic Spikes is Garbodor's second source of passive damage and is great for wearing down defensive teams while putting bulky threats such as Kangaskhan on a timer. On the other hand, Toxic is useful if the opponent has a Poison-type to play around Toxic Spikes and especially shines against Levitate users such as Uxie and Mismagius. Alternatively, Seed Bomb is a specialized coverage option to use against Rhydon, Kabutops, and Seismitoad.; (period -> semi) however, it does pitiful damage even to targets weak to Grass, 3HKOing Rhydon and offensive Sandslash at best. Pain Split is unreliable, but it is Garbodor's best way of recovering HP without having to rely on Wish support. Finally, Clear Smog prevents most opposing setup and is especially good against Malamar and Gurdurr.

Set Details
========

96 Speed EVs allow Garbodor to outrun neutral max Speed base 55s, such as Exeggutor and Cacturne. Max HP gives optimal overall bulk, and the remaining EVs are put into Defense with an Impish nature to better handle Belly Drum Slurpuff, Fighting-types, and often-physical contact moves. However, putting those EVs into Special Defense with a Careful nature allows Garbodor to serve as a premier check to specially attacking Grass-types, such as Sceptile. Aftermath makes Garbodor an emergency check and good sacrifice to contact move users, such as Kangaskhan and Feraligatr. Rocky Helmet applies further chip damage, and not only does it synergize well with Aftermath, but it also prevents opposing spinners from removing entry hazards if they go down to its recoil damage. Black Sludge can also be used instead to give Garbodor some passive recovery while discouraging opposing Pokemon from using Trick and Switcheroo users.

Usage Tips
========

Set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes depending on the opposing team. Spikes cripples common bulky offense teams that rely on their bulk to check offensive threats., (period -> comma) while on the other hand, Toxic Spikes wears down more defensive teams with constant passive damage. Preserve Toxic Spikes by keeping offensive pressure to prevent opposing Poison-types from switching in. Use Toxic to punish predictable Uxie and Mismagius switch-ins. Because Gunk Shot does plenty of damage and has a high chance to poison., (period -> comma) if the opponent's team relies on offensive pressure to check Garbodor, simply throw out a Gunk Shot, (AC) as Garbodor will either take minimal damage from something it checks and take it down, or hit one of its supposed checks for a good amount of damage on the switch. Do not bother with using Drain Punch against Rock-types with high Defense; setting up entry hazards on a predicted Rock-type switch-in is usually the better option. If Garbodor carries Seed Bomb, wait until Rhydon and Sandslash are worn down to the point where they can be 2HKOed and catch them by surprise. However, hitting Kabutops on the switch with Seed Bomb prevents it from spinning even if it were to survive with a sliver of HP. If Garbodor carries Clear Smog, it can set up Spikes against Gurdurr without letting it get out of hand.

Garbodor's selling point compared to competing Spikers, such as Accelgor and Crustle, is its strength as a mid-game pivot with solid bulk and damage output, making Garbodor by far the best Spiker on bulky offense teams. Switching Garbodor it into Fake Outs and U-turns will hurt the foe while Garbordor takes taking minimal damage.; (period -> semi) however, it should be careful of taking such chip damage, as it has no way to regain health bar the unreliable Pain Split. Don't let it take damage just to give Rocky Helmet recoil, especially if you need to preserve it to check another threat. Not to mention, Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Hariyama can opt to use Earthquake, bypassing Aftermath and Rocky Helmet while doing massive damage to Garbodor. If the opponent's team looks to have no other good ways of beating Garbodor, be extra cautious against these Pokemon that it would usually does well against, as they are most likely carrying Earthquake. Finally, if it is too low in HP to be of any real use, sacrifice it to contact moves to give the foe massive recoil.

Team Options
========

Garbodor is the Spiker of choice for most teams, ranging from bulky offense to full stall. Rotom is one of the best teammates: it spinblocks, has access Volt Switch to utilize entry hazard support, checks Archeops, and fits well into both bulky offense and balance. Mismagius can also spinblock and prevent opposing Defog with Taunt. Alternatively, Pawniard and Primeape discourage the foe from using Defog, as they get a +2 Attack boost from its evasion drop thanks to Defiant. Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, and Archeops are offensive threats that greatly benefit heavily from Spikes support and prevent the foe from using Rapid Spin or Defog by applying offensive pressure. Feraligatr will bypass most of its soft checks, such as Seismitoad and Vileplume, with Spikes support. Fake Out Kangaskhan synergizes with Toxic Spikes support. When using bulky offense with Garbodor, remember that pairing two attackers with similar checks, such as Klinklang and Feraligatr—both of which are often checked by Seismitoad—, will nearly guarantee that the two Pokemon get to bypass their shared check with Spikes support. Sceptile, Leafeon, and Lilligant beat Rock- and Ground-types for Garbodor and resist Earthquake, while Pawniard and Liepard check Ghost- and Psychic-types for it. Pyroar handily checks Mismagius without being crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Seismitoad and Garbodor are a common duo due to their defensive synergy. Stall teams can also use Garbodor, as Audino provides Wish support, making the two a great stall core. Steelix is also a great teammate on stall teams, as it checks common threats to stall teams: Archeops and Calm Mind Uxie. They get a relatively free switch into Garbodor, so having a durable switch-in for them is very important.

Other Options
########

Haze is a way to deny opposing setup that goes through Substitute and affects Steel-types, (AC) unlike Clear Smog. It can be a good option if Garbodor is strapped for moveslots to carry both Drain Punch and Clear Smog, but note that Haze, Spikes, and B2W2 tutor moves, such as Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, and Pain Split, together on the same set is illegal. Weak Armor and in conjunction with Focus Sash allows Garbodor to run a suicide Spiker set, but that is a job done better by Crustle and Qwilfish. It has access to other offensive moves with minimal use: Rock Blast destroys common Focus Sash users such as Ninjask; Giga Drain hits physically defensive Pokemon, such as Rhydon; and Explosion has good Base Power and denies Rapid Spin and Defog.

Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt, Rapid Spin, and Defog**: Taunt can really cripple Garbodor, especially as because its common users, Archeops and Mismagius, shut down its offensive options as well. Rapid Spin and Defog removes entry hazards.; (period -> semi) however, most Rapid Spinners spinners, such as Kabutops and Crygonal, cannot switch into Garbodor. Defog users, such as Swanna, Pelliper, and Archeops, nearly guarantees entry hazards removal, and the threat of Defog makes it such that means that Garbodor cannot take too much damage while trying to setting up entry hazards, (AC) as they will get be removed anyways.

**Bulky Psychic-types Pokemon**: Bulky Psychic-types such as Mesprit, Xatu, Uxie, and Musharna can all tank a Gunk Shot and hit Garbodor with Psychic, but they need to be careful of getting worn down, especially if Gunk Shot's high poison chance comes into effect. Xatu can even bounce Garbodor's entry hazards back. Uxie takes negligible damage from any of Garbodor's attacks, ignores his its entry hazards thanks to Levitate, and poses a huge offensive threat with a Substitute + Calm Mind set, but it does not appreciate the high chance of poison from Gunk Shot on the switch. Musharna has access to recovery and Heal Bell to prevent Garbodor from wearing it down, but is very weak to entry hazards.

**Bulky Rock-, or Ground-types**: Bulky Rock- and Ground-types, such as Regirock, Crustle and Sandslash, can tank all of Garbodor's attacks, laugh at the its Drain Punch, and then do whatever they please. However, Seed Bomb hits Rhydon and Seismitoad for respectable damage. Also, switching into most of these Pokemon will guarantee Garbodor multiple layers of Spikes, as they are rather slow.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Mismagius, Rotom, and Haunter can easily switch in on the a Gunk Shot and are immune to both Drain Punch and Spikes. They also do significant damage to Garbodor with Shadow Ball, and Mismagius often carries Taunt, (AC) which completely stops Garbodor from doing anything.

**Offensive Pressure**: Wallbreakers, such as Samurott and Typhlosion, threaten to deal massive amounts of damage on to Garbodor. While they have a hard time switching in, Garbodor cannot set up Spikes if pitted against these Pokemon without sacrificing itself or otherwise taking irreparable damage.

**Passive Damage**: Garbodor's inability to regain health costs it dearly., (period -> comma) and makes it Garbodor is very vulnerable to repeated chip damage. It often switches into the common Fighting-types, but even resisted hits will eventually take their toll. Garbodor is notably weak to Spikes, and Pokemon such as Crustle or Accelgor can stop it from staying healthy enough to take hits.

GP 1/2 Amarillo

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Garbodor is one of the best Spikers in NU and because it has a great defensive typing in Poison that complements its natural bulk and allows it to serve as a great check to common threats such as Slurpuff and Sceptile. Additionally, it does a decent amount of damage even without investment, making it difficult to switch in offensive Pokemon and stop Garbodor from setting up entry hazards. It also has a wide movepool to threaten its would-be safe switch-ins, such as Rhydon and Kabutops. When its job is done, Aftermath lets it act as an emergency check to most physical contact attackers that make contact. Garbodor mainly suffers from its lack of reliable recovery, which makes it very vulnerable to getting worn down, especially by opposing entry hazards.

Spikes
########

Moves
========

Spikes wears down the opponent's entire team, and Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB move that deals a lot of damage to offensive threats that may try to stop Garbodor from setting up multiple layers of Spikes. Drain Punch hits Steel-types, namely Klinklang and Pawniard. Toxic Spikes is Garbodor's second source of passive damage and is great for wearing down defensive teams while putting bulky threats such as Kangaskhan on a timer. On the other hand, Toxic is useful if the opponent has a Poison-type to play around Toxic Spikes and especially shines against Levitate users such as Uxie and Mismagius. Alternatively, Seed Bomb is a specialized coverage option to use against Rhydon, Kabutops, and Seismitoad; however, it does pitiful damage even to targets weak to Grass, 3HKOing Rhydon and offensive Sandslash at best. Pain Split is unreliable, but it is Garbodor's best way of recovering HP without having to rely on Wish support. Finally, Clear Smog prevents most opposing setup and is especially good against Malamar and Gurdurr.

Set Details
========

96 Speed EVs allow Garbodor to outrun neutral-natured max Speed base 55s, such as Exeggutor and Cacturne. Max HP investment gives optimal overall bulk, and the remaining EVs are put into Defense with an Impish nature to better handle Belly Drum Slurpuff, Fighting-types, and often-physical contact moves. However, putting those EVs into Special Defense with a Careful nature allows Garbodor to serve as a premier check to specially attacking Grass-types, such as Sceptile. Aftermath makes Garbodor an emergency check and good sacrifice to contact move users, such as Kangaskhan and Feraligatr. Rocky Helmet applies inflicts further chip damage, and not only synergizing does it synergize well with Aftermath, (remove comma) but it also preventing prevents opposing spinners from removing entry hazards if they go down to its recoil damage. Black Sludge can also be used instead to give Garbodor some passive recovery while discouraging opposing Pokemon from using Trick and Switcheroo.

Usage Tips
========

Set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes depending on the opposing team. Spikes cripples common bulky offense teams that rely on their bulk to check offensive threats, while on the other hand, Toxic Spikes wears down more defensive teams with constant passive damage. Preserve Toxic Spikes by keeping up offensive pressure to prevent opposing Poison-types from switching in. Use Toxic to punish predictable Uxie and Mismagius switch-ins. Because Gunk Shot does plenty of damage and has a high chance to poison, if the opponent's team relies on offensive pressure to check Garbodor, simply throw out a Gunk Shot, as Garbodor will either take minimal damage from something it checks and take it down, or hit one of its supposed checks for a good amount of damage on the switch. Do not bother with using Drain Punch against Rock-types with high Defense; setting up entry hazards on a predicted Rock-type switch-in is usually the better option. If Garbodor carries Seed Bomb, wait until Rhydon and Sandslash are worn down to the point where they can be 2HKOed and catch them by surprise. However, hitting Kabutops on the switch with Seed Bomb prevents it from spinning even if it were to survive with a sliver of HP. If Garbodor carries Clear Smog, it can set up Spikes against Gurdurr without letting it get out of hand.

Garbodor's selling point compared to competing Spikers, such as Accelgor and Crustle, is its strength as a mid-game pivot with solid bulk and damage output, making Garbodor by far the best Spiker on bulky offense teams. Switching it into Fake Out and U-turn will hurt the foe while Garbordor takes minimal damage; however, it should be careful of taking such chip damage, as it has no way to regain health bar the unreliable Pain Split. Don't let it take damage just to give Rocky Helmet recoil, especially if you need to preserve it to check another threat. Not to mention, Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Hariyama can also opt to use Earthquake, bypassing Aftermath and Rocky Helmet while doing massive damage to Garbodor. If the opponent's team looks to have no other good ways of beating Garbodor, be extra cautious against these Pokemon that it would usually does well against, as they are most likely carrying Earthquake. Finally, if it is too low in HP to be of any real use, sacrifice it to a contact moves to give deal massive recoil to the foe massive recoil attacker.

Team Options
========

Garbodor is the Spiker of choice for most teams, ranging from bulky offense to full stall. Rotom is one of the best teammates: it spinblocks, has access to Volt Switch to utilize entry hazard support, checks Archeops, and fits well into both bulky offense and balance. Mismagius can also spinblock and prevent opposing Defog with Taunt. Alternatively, Pawniard and Primeape discourage the foe from using Defog, as they get a +2 Attack boost from its evasion drop thanks to Defiant. Feraligatr, Kangaskhan, and Archeops are offensive threats that greatly benefit from Spikes support and prevent the foe from using Rapid Spin or Defog by applying offensive pressure. Feraligatr will can bypass most of its soft checks, such as Seismitoad and Vileplume, with Spikes support. Fake Out Kangaskhan synergizes with Toxic Spikes support. When using bulky offense with Garbodor, remember that pairing two attackers with similar checks, such as Klinklang and Feraligatr—both of which are often checked by Seismitoad—, will (remove comma and space) nearly guarantee that the two Pokemon get to bypass their shared check with Spikes support. Sceptile, Leafeon, and Lilligant beat Rock- and Ground-types for Garbodor and resist Earthquake, while Pawniard and Liepard check Ghost- and Psychic-types for it. Pyroar handily checks Mismagius without being crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Seismitoad and Garbodor are a common duo due to their great defensive synergy. Stall teams can also use Garbodor, as Audino provides Wish support, making the two a great stall core. Steelix is also a great teammate on stall teams, as it checks common threats to stall teams: Archeops and Calm Mind Uxie. They get a relatively free switch into Garbodor, so having a durable switch-in for them is very important.

Other Options
########

Haze is a way to deny opposing setup that goes through Substitute and affects Steel-types, unlike Clear Smog. It can be a good option if Garbodor is strapped for moveslots to carry both Drain Punch and Clear Smog, but note that Haze, Spikes, and B2W2 tutor moves, such as Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, and Pain Split, together on the same set is illegal. Weak Armor in conjunction with Focus Sash allows Garbodor to run a suicide Spiker set, but that is a job done better by Crustle and Qwilfish. It has access to other offensive moves with minimal use: Rock Blast destroys common Focus Sash users such as Ninjask; Giga Drain hits physically defensive Pokemon, (remove comma) such as Rhydon; and Explosion has good Base Power and denies Rapid Spin and Defog.

Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt, Rapid Spin, and Defog**: Taunt can really cripple Garbodor, especially because its common users, Archeops and Mismagius, shut down its offensive options as well. Rapid Spin and Defog removes entry hazards; however, most Rapid Spinners, such as Kabutops and Crygonal, cannot switch into Garbodor. Defog users, such as Swanna, Pelipper, and Archeops, nearly guarantee entry hazards removal, and the threat of Defog means that Garbodor cannot take too much damage while trying to setting up entry hazards, as they will get be removed anyways.

**Bulky Psychic-types Pokemon**: Bulky Psychic-types such as Mesprit, Xatu, Uxie, and Musharna can all tank a Gunk Shot and hit Garbodor with Psychic, but they need to be careful of getting worn down, especially if Gunk Shot's high poison chance comes into effect. Xatu can even bounce Garbodor's entry hazards back. Uxie takes negligible damage from any of Garbodor's attacks, ignores his its entry hazards thanks to Levitate, and poses a huge offensive threat with a Substitute + Calm Mind set, but it does not appreciate the high chance of poison from Gunk Shot on the switch. Musharna has access to recovery and Heal Bell to prevent Garbodor from wearing it down, but it is very weak susceptible to entry hazards.

**Bulky Rock-, or Ground-types**: Bulky Rock- and Ground-types, such as Regirock, Crustle, (comma) and Sandslash, can tank all of Garbodor's attacks, laugh at its Drain Punch, and then do whatever they please. However, Seed Bomb hits Rhydon and Seismitoad for respectable damage. Also, switching into most of these Pokemon will guarantee Garbodor multiple layers of Spikes, as they are rather slow.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Mismagius, Rotom, and Haunter can easily switch into on a Gunk Shot and are immune to both Drain Punch and Spikes. They also do significant damage to Garbodor with Shadow Ball, and Mismagius often carries Taunt, which completely stops Garbodor from doing anything.

**Offensive Pressure**: Wallbreakers, (remove comma) such as Samurott and Typhlosion, (remove comma) threaten to deal massive amounts of damage to Garbodor. While they have a hard time switching in, Garbodor cannot set up Spikes if pitted against these Pokemon without sacrificing itself or otherwise taking irreparable damage.

**Passive Damage**: Garbodor's inability to regain health costs it dearly, and because it makes it very vulnerable to repeated chip damage. It For example, Garbodor often switches into common Fighting-types, but even resisted hits will eventually take their toll. Garbodor is notably weak to Spikes, and Pokemon such as Crustle or and Accelgor can stop it from staying healthy enough to take hits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)