Garchomp (Revamp) QC (0/3)

Analysis taken over from Lord Ninjax, permission from Jukain.

QC: / /
GP: /

Overview
########

• Buffed with a powerful Mega-Forme in Generation 6.
  • Terrifying stats on the overall that allows it to fulfill several different roles in the metagame.
  • Finds good coverage moves in its wide movepool. (i.e Iron Head to hits both Fairy-types and Ice-types, Dragon STAB attacks against Dragon-types)
  • Access to Stealth Rock that breaks Focus Sash and hurts Pokemon on the switch-in, and is one of the best users thanks to great stats on the overall.
  • Good ability in Rough Skin that hurts on the opponent's contact attacks.
  • Mega has lower Speed, meaning it's outsped by most Dragons in the tier with an exception for Dragonite.
  • Garchomp is also threatened by many Pokemon in the tier, ones that outspeed it such as Greninja and Latios/Latias, and ones that just wall it, such as Sylveon and Clefable.

Offensive Stealth Rock
########
name: Offensive Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 4: Fire Blast / Swords Dance
ability: Rough Skin
item: Rocky Helmet / Focus Sash / Lum Berry
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Jolly

Moves
========

• Stealth Rock is the main move on this set, hurting any opponent on the switch-in regardless their type.
  • Earthquake is Garchomp's most powerful Ground-type STAB, and offers good coverage against several types.
  • Dragon Claw is another STAB that is Dragon-typed and allows Garchomp to beat slower Dragon-types.
  • Outrage can be used over Dragon Claw for more power here, but being trapped into Outrage when the opponent is able to remove your hazards and KO Garchomp right away isn't good.
  • Fire Blast hits more targets that resist Earthquake, and hits Ferrothorn and Skarmory way better, as they would wall Garchomp's offensive options otherwise.
  • Swords Dance can be used to boost up Garchomp's attack and allows it to sweep.

Set Details
========

• Rough Skin hurts opponents on contact, that boosts Garchomp's damage output a bit, that can be boosted further by the use of Rocky Helmet.
  • Focus Sash can be used to guarantee the setup of Stealth Rock, though Lum Berry is an option to prevent Garchomp from being crippled by burn directly or from being confused by Outrage.
  • Attack EVs boosts up Garchomp's attack a bit more.
  • Maximized Speed and a boosting nature allows Garchomp to set up Stealth Rock as fast as possible, and allows it to outspeed max Speed Mega Charizard.
  • Either a Jolly or Naive nature can be used depending on if Fire Blast is ran or not.

Usage Tips
========

• This set is best used as a lead, setting up Stealth Rock early-game allows it to draw out as much damage as possible.
  • When predicting the opponent to switch, when Garchomp has an advantage over their Pokemon, for example, make sure to use Swords Dance to boost up.
  • Make sure to use Stealth Rock on forced switches on the opponent's side.

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that can absorb burns well, such as Charizard, make very good partners, as Garchomp is crippled by burns.
  • Pokemon that take advantage of an eventual Defog that drops evasion, such as Bisharp, are really good partners.
  • Spinblockers that can prevent Stealth Rock from being spinned away are quite good, too.
  • Wallbreakers that can take advantage of a Stealth Rock in order to gain a KO earlier, such as Kyurem-Black and Mega-Charizard, make good partners too.
  • Magnezone is a really good partner with Garchomp, as it able to form the excellent DragMag core with it.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Outrage
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 4: Dragon Claw / Fire Blast
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Naive

Moves
========

• Outrage is Garchomp's most powerful STAB attack, and as it's being locked into Choice Scarf already, being locked into Outrage brings a little difference.
  • Earthquake is Garchomp's second best STAB and hits a variety of Pokemon.
  • Rock Slide can be used for more accuracy and the flinch, but Stone Edge hits harder, especially Togekiss that is immune to Garchomp's dual STAB.
  • Dragon Claw is a more accurate option than Outrage, but offers less power in addition.
  • Fire Blast hits Ferrothorn and Skarmory most importantly, that wall its other moves.

Set Details
========

• Rough Skin is standard, deals a decent 12.5% damage to the opponent using a contact move on it.
  • Choice Scarf allows Garchomp to outspeed quite a lot more Pokemon, such as Greninja, Latios, Latias and Mega-Pinsir.
  • Either a Jolly or Naive nature with maximized Speed can be used, depending in running Fire Blast or not. They both, however, allow Garchomp to outspeed Choice Scarf Hydreigon.

Usage Tips
========

• Garchomp can be brought in as a revengekiller, as it does that job really well.
  • Switch Garchomp out of possible threats that may outspeed it, or just competely wall it.
  • This set is used best to threaten weakened Pokemon, because Garchomp isn't able to sweep with this set.

Team Options
========

• Again, Pokemon that take burns very well, especially those who take their advantage from it, such as Heatran, are good as they prevent Garchomp from losing usefulness by burns.
  • Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock help to achieve Garchomp to get a KO off easier, such as Heatran or Ferrothorn.
  • Partners that beat Fairy-types that can beat Garchomp with ease, such as Bisharp or Venusaur, are great.

Mixed
########
name: Mixed
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Garchompite
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naughty

Moves
========

• Earthquake is Garchomp's semi-strongest physical STAB attack and has terrifying coverage on the overall.
  • Draco Meteor is Garchomp's strongest special STAB attack, but Garchomp suffers from the Special Attack drop.
  • Fire Blast hits Ice-types super effectively, and Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory.
  • Stone Edge also has good coverage and hits Bug- and Flying-types harder that resist Garchomp's main physical STAB, Earthquake.

Set Details
========

• Rough Skin is surpassed by Garchomp's Mega-Evolution but functions best on switch-ins.
  • Garchompite as item to Mega-Evolve Garchomp during battle.
  • Because the difference between Garchomp-Mega's Attack and Special Attack, there are max EVs invested in Special Attack in order to balance it a bit more.
  • Speed EVs allows Mega Garchomp to outspeed max Speed unboosted Dragonite that could otherwise hurt it badly with Outrage.
  • A Naughty nature is chosen just to boost the Attack a bit more, because there are only 4 EVs invested.
Usage Tips
========

• When facing a slower Ice-type, hit it with either Fire Blast or Stone Edge depending on the lowest Defense stat.
  • This Garchomp is designed as a wallbreaker, so make sure to switch it in on opposing walls.
  • Draco Meteor should be used sparingly, as both Draco Meteor and Fire Blast will be weakened quite a lot after use.

Team Options
========

• Sticky Web or paralysis support is very useful, as the Speed drop of Garchomp-Mega is really crucial for it as it's outsped by way more Dragon-types that threaten it.
  • Pokemon that take care of hyperoffensive special attackers such as Greninja, make good partners, as these can easily beat it.
  • Teammates that can get rid of bulkier Fairy-types, such as Venusaur or Bisharp, are really good, as they help Garchomp clean up without having to fear a Fairy-type to switch in.
  • Hazard support is very good too for Garchomp in order to get a KO off earlier.

Mega Swords Dance
########
name: Mega Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Substitute / Fire Blast
item: Garchompite
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Naive

Moves
========

• Swords Dance boosts Garchomp's Attack by two stages and allows it to sweep more Pokemon.
  • Earthquake is the best STAB option without any effects for Garchomp, and hits a variety of types.
  • Dragon Claw has less power than Outrage but still hits very effectively, especially when Garchomp has a boosted Attack.
  • Substitute can be used to avoid burns and works great because Garchomp forces quite some switches. It also allows it to set up safely.
  • Fire Blast is a good option because this way it isn't completely walled by bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory.

Set Details
========

• Rough Skin is standard to hurt opponent contact on the switch, but is surpassed after Mega Evolution.
  • Garchompite allows Garchomp to Mega-Evolve.
  • The invested EVs max Garchomp's damage output and boosts its Speed further.
  • Either Jolly or Naive can be ran, depending on Fire Blast being ran or not.
Usage Tips
========

• This Garchomp breaks through many physical walls and is used against most of these that don't threaten it much.
  • Garchomp functions as a mid-game sweeper when it's checks and counters have been beaten.
  • Use Substitute when predicting a switch, this way Garchomp can safely set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

• Sticky Web or paralysis support is great as Garchomp-Mega loses Speed during Mega-Evolving, meaning it's outsped by a lot of other Pokemon.
  • Pokemon that can absorb burns make real good partners too, as Mega-Garchomp is really crippled by burns without a Special Attack.
  • Sand support by Pokemon such as Tyranitar with a Smooth Rock may be good too, as Sand Force boosts Garchomp's physical Ground STAB by 1.3x.

Other Options
########

• Fire Fang can be used over Fire Blast as Garchomp has a better base Attack and it can be boosted further by Swords Dance, but because of its low Base Power, lack of STAB and many Pokemon that it actually hits run Rocky Helmet, its not very useful.
  • Sand Veil can be used on a sand team to avoid more attacks and set up Swords Dance more safely, but this is based on luck so it's not very dependable.
  • Hone Claws can be used over Swords Dance to boost the accuracy, but because it is basically only used for Stone Edge it is not really worth it.
  • Dual Chop is an option to possibly break Substitute because of its ability to hit twice, but lacks real power and though is unviable.
  • Iron Head to hit Fairy-types way harder, but Garchomp shouldn't stay in on Fairy-types because they can easily OHKO it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Burn**: Every physical variant of Garchomp is crippled by burn, and can be considered good checks.

**Bulky Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types, such as Sylveon and Clefable, can take one of Garchomp's hit and defeat it with one of their STABs.

**Physical walls**: Physical walls, such as Slowbro and Ferrothorn, can easily check Garchomp by stalling it out or just inflict a ton of damage, though the latter one needs to be wary of Fire Blast.

**Faster threats**: Faster Pokemon with good coverage, such as Greninja or Latios, can easily revenge kill Garchomp with one of their STABs.

Last edited:
I know this is WIP, and much better than the previous one lol, but the last two sets should be removed imo. Tank chomp honestly just isn't effective and mega chomp is significantly better as a mixed attacker than SD which regular chomp does better.
I talked with Jukain about this and asked to take Alter's sets and he said I should add the mega sd set too. but, thanks for your input.

There is no mention of Life Orb Chain Chomp:

name: Mixed Lure
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive

This set allows Garchomp to lure in and deal a huge dent to Landorus-T and Ferrothorn. Garchomp 2HKOs Scarf Landorus-T, dents defensive variants (but needs Stealth Rock to 2HKO max HP variants), OHKOs Ferrothorn 87.5% of the time with Fire Blast, and does at least 90% to Skarmory. It has huge issues with Clefable though. I simply want this considered. If you want to bust CLefable, you need 64 Attack EVs and Swords Dance.

There is no mention of Life Orb Chain Chomp:

name: Mixed Lure
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive

This set allows Garchomp to lure in and deal a huge dent to Landorus-T and Ferrothorn. Garchomp 2HKOs Scarf Landorus-T, dents defensive variants (but needs Stealth Rock to 2HKO max HP variants), OHKOs Ferrothorn 87.5% of the time with Fire Blast, and does at least 90% to Skarmory. It has huge issues with Clefable though. I simply want this considered. If you want to bust CLefable, you need 64 Attack EVs and Swords Dance.
I was told to put this in OO

Rocky Helmet needs at least a SD mention on the first set. Rocky Helmet combined with rough Skin allows Garchomp to deal around 28% damage to any physical attacker, which is extremely useful against priority and U-Turn users.

Rocky Helmet needs at least a SD mention on the first set. Rocky Helmet combined with rough Skin allows Garchomp to deal around 28% damage to any physical attacker, which is extremely useful against priority and U-Turn users.
Rocky Helmet its not really that valuable anymore, tbh.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd actually go so far to say Rocky Helmet deserves a full slash on the SR set. The ability to punish Lando-T U-Turns (which happen a lot), Mega-Medicham Fake Outs and random Knock Offs is pretty nice, and Rocky Helmet also acts emergency check to a bunch of dangerous setup sweepers and wallbreakers such as Talonflame, Mega-Scizor, Azumarill, Mega-Pinsir, Charizard-X, Mega-Heracross, Terrakion, Crawdaunt, Weavile, Lucario, the list goes on. It also gets some chip damage on Chansey while it Seismic Tosses you which can be pretty significant especially if you pair it with a Taunt user such as Heatran. It's a really useful item on Garchomp, particularly on HO teams that can afford to sack it to get important chip damage on something you don't really have any good switchins to, therefore putting the threatening Pokemon at a range where you can revenge kill it.

Last edited:
So uh, Garchomp is my homie, and I've got a lot of experience with it (I actually reserved this then dropped it cause I couldn't find the time) and I've got a couple of comments to make on what you've already got. The first thing I should say as that your overview needs a bit of work. Don't say Garchomp is worn down by Fairy-types, because it's not, it's straight-out OHKOed. And while we're on the topic of Fairies, you should mention how while Generation 6 brought it the brand-new Mega Evolution it has, you need to mention that the addition of Fairy-types really just happen to screw it over. I also think you need to put more emphasis on the Stealth Rock point - Garchomp is one of THE best users of the move in the entire game, due to its amazing offensive presence and respectable bulk. You also should mention Garchomp is threatened by many Pokemon in the tier - Greninja, Azumarill, Latios, Clefable - all Pokemon that can take a hit and retaliate, or outspeed and OHKO. Mention how Garchomp always needs something with its sets - Offensive Stealth Rock lacks immediate power, Mega sets are slow, etc. Lastly, mention its coverage moves are fairly weak as they are unSTABed, and they almost always need hazard support or have to be boosted if they want to OHKO their targets.

Next, I have to say is that Rocky Helmet should be slashed on the Offensive Stealth Rock set whilst Lum Berry should not. Lum Berry doesn't do anything except for negate burns, and no one would keep Garchomp in on a Pokemon who can burn / Scald user. It just isn't logical, and while it does save you in the case it happens, you're almost ALWAYS going to want to be able to wear down the plethora of physical attackers in tier. Landorus-T, as Albacore said, will be checked very hard by Garchomp if it runs Rocky Helmet, as you force it to regularly switch out and kill the momentum it builds. It also stacks fairly well with entry hazards, wearing down the opponent and getting chip damage (especially on Hazard Stacking and Hyper Offense teams). I get how awesome being safe from confusion is, but in itself, you should never stay in on a burn-inducing user, as Garchomp loses to almost all of them (except for like...Sableye?). Focus Sash should be slashed second.

Team options on the Offensive Stealth Rock seem really weird...Pokemon that can absorb a Taunt? Dude, Garchomp outspeeds a ridiculous amount of Taunt users (Heatran, Gyarados, Skarmory), barring Prankster users and Gengar / Ape / Flame. First turn, most of the time, you'll be able to set your Stealth Rock as well the opponent will. Or, you'll just outspeed them (skarmory). I would mention BISHARP as a partner because of Defiant, and being able to screw over Defog users is just way too good. Please mention wallbreakers (hint: Kyurem-B), as they go hand-in-hand with Stealth Rock softening up the opponent. No mentions of Magnezone? Magnezone has awesome synergy with really any Dragon-type, and Garchomp is no exception, as they form the DragMag core, which as we all know, is excellent. Of course, it synergizes better with, say, Dragonite, who covers the Ground-type weakness even more, but you get the point.

Usage tips are also kinda out there...it's fairly obvious that no one is going to, erm, keep Garchomp in on a Sylveon (especially since Iron Head does a really weird 75% to non physically-based variants). I'd remove that point, or at least make it a bit less significant. Instead, please add points about how since Garchomp forces a lot of switches against Pokemon such as Excadrill and Magnezone, you can set up Stealth Rock on the switch that you force. Also mention how you can use your sheer power to soften up some Pokemon early-game so that sweepers can then come in and sweep undisturbed.

Likewise for the ScarfChomp set (really the most usable set imo), the Usage Tips are really weird. I'd remove the item removal point. Because, well, yeah, it sucks for literally any Pokemon in any tier in any generation to have their item removed. Instead, mention how you best revenge kill against boosted sweepers such as Zard X, who will otherwise sweep your team. Please mention how this set should not be used to sweep, nor wallbreak, as it lacks immediate power like the above set, and it should solely be used to revenge kill weakened opponents.

Anyways, I'll write more later. I'm not QC, but it'd do you good to implement this in my opinion.

So uh, Garchomp is my homie, and I've got a lot of experience with it (I actually reserved this then dropped it cause I couldn't find the time) and I've got a couple of comments to make on what you've already got. The first thing I should say as that your overview needs a bit of work. Don't say Garchomp is worn down by Fairy-types, because it's not, it's straight-out OHKOed. And while we're on the topic of Fairies, you should mention how while Generation 6 brought it the brand-new Mega Evolution it has, you need to mention that the addition of Fairy-types really just happen to screw it over. I also think you need to put more emphasis on the Stealth Rock point - Garchomp is one of THE best users of the move in the entire game, due to its amazing offensive presence and respectable bulk. You also should mention Garchomp is threatened by many Pokemon in the tier - Greninja, Azumarill, Latios, Clefable - all Pokemon that can take a hit and retaliate, or outspeed and OHKO. Mention how Garchomp always needs something with its sets - Offensive Stealth Rock lacks immediate power, Mega sets are slow, etc. Lastly, mention its coverage moves are fairly weak as they are unSTABed, and they almost always need hazard support or have to be boosted if they want to OHKO their targets.

Next, I have to say is that Rocky Helmet should be slashed on the Offensive Stealth Rock set whilst Lum Berry should not. Lum Berry doesn't do anything except for negate burns, and no one would keep Garchomp in on a Pokemon who can burn / Scald user. It just isn't logical, and while it does save you in the case it happens, you're almost ALWAYS going to want to be able to wear down the plethora of physical attackers in tier. Landorus-T, as Albacore said, will be checked very hard by Garchomp if it runs Rocky Helmet, as you force it to regularly switch out and kill the momentum it builds. It also stacks fairly well with entry hazards, wearing down the opponent and getting chip damage (especially on Hazard Stacking and Hyper Offense teams). I get how awesome being safe from confusion is, but in itself, you should never stay in on a burn-inducing user, as Garchomp loses to almost all of them (except for like...Sableye?). Focus Sash should be slashed second.

Team options on the Offensive Stealth Rock seem really weird...Pokemon that can absorb a Taunt? Dude, Garchomp outspeeds a ridiculous amount of Taunt users (Heatran, Gyarados, Skarmory), barring Prankster users and Gengar / Ape / Flame. First turn, most of the time, you'll be able to set your Stealth Rock as well the opponent will. Or, you'll just outspeed them (skarmory). I would mention BISHARP as a partner because of Defiant, and being able to screw over Defog users is just way too good. Please mention wallbreakers (hint: Kyurem-B), as they go hand-in-hand with Stealth Rock softening up the opponent. No mentions of Magnezone? Magnezone has awesome synergy with really any Dragon-type, and Garchomp is no exception, as they form the DragMag core, which as we all know, is excellent. Of course, it synergizes better with, say, Dragonite, who covers the Ground-type weakness even more, but you get the point.

Usage tips are also kinda out there...it's fairly obvious that no one is going to, erm, keep Garchomp in on a Sylveon (especially since Iron Head does a really weird 75% to non physically-based variants). I'd remove that point, or at least make it a bit less significant. Instead, please add points about how since Garchomp forces a lot of switches against Pokemon such as Excadrill and Magnezone, you can set up Stealth Rock on the switch that you force. Also mention how you can use your sheer power to soften up some Pokemon early-game so that sweepers can then come in and sweep undisturbed.

Likewise for the ScarfChomp set (really the most usable set imo), the Usage Tips are really weird. I'd remove the item removal point. Because, well, yeah, it sucks for literally any Pokemon in any tier in any generation to have their item removed. Instead, mention how you best revenge kill against boosted sweepers such as Zard X, who will otherwise sweep your team. Please mention how this set should not be used to sweep, nor wallbreak, as it lacks immediate power like the above set, and it should solely be used to revenge kill weakened opponents.

Anyways, I'll write more later. I'm not QC, but it'd do you good to implement this in my opinion.
Edited, thanks for your input man! Really appreciate it.

Also, Jukain , ill finish this tomorrow. I kept the Lum, too.

A promise is a promise, and like promised, i'm opening this into QC. (Sorry if it needs a lot of patching up, though I did my best on this)

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry, but I can't let this continue. There's just a blatant lack of knowledge present here. Your team options are really mediocre, like burn absorber and adding Charizard for that role no less? A spinblocker to block Stealth Rock from being spun away? Wallbreakers to take advantage of Stealth Rock and a gain a KO earlier? Togekiss mentioned as a Stone Edge target and not even mentioning its main targets like Pinsir and Thundurus? These comments are neither analytical nor informative. Mysteria expressed an interest and will take this over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)