1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Garchomp Vote

Discussion in 'Suspect Test Voting Site' started by Aeolus, Sep 10, 2008.

?

Garchomp

Poll closed Dec 9, 2008.
  1. OU

27.8%
  2. Uber

72.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bolt.

bolt.

Voted ou. Didn't really matter though. I guess 21 people don't get to vote now, aint that some bullshit.
  2. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

What are you talking about?
  3. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

As much as I would like to say "OU" - simply because the number of strategies I have seen flying around on the standard since suspect has increased (people started new things when Garchomp was banned, and found them viable even on standard), I don't think I can say that it is not uber simply because of this fact - considering i feel the game is more balanced and more "tight" now because of the lack of Garchomp.

Garchomp is uber.
  4. Nowen

Nowen

As much as I would like to vote OU to save the precedent, I voted uber. I agree with the others that have stated the game is much more varied and interesting without Garchomp.
  5. MythTrainerInfinity

MythTrainerInfinity

There's really nothing scientific that makes something OU or Uber, but in all seriousness it gets really boring seeing on almost every freaking team. If people tried different things instead of sticking land shark in with a Yache Berry I think we would get better statistics.

I would think a tournament to test Garchomp among the eligable voters would be a better determining factor than just outright voting.

I play to have fun and its not really fun seeing an overcentralized metagame its like seeing everyone using Snake and Meta Knight in Brawl... So I'm saying Uber, until people actually try being more creative.

Edit: I predict we'll be seeing a lot more Dragonite usage. If SR gets banned then... yeah...
  6. FiveKRunner

FiveKRunner

I cast my vote for OU.

For one, I've found the Suspect Ladder to be stale. It reminds me too much of ADV and removing Garchomp, the banner of the offensive metagame, has caused it to morph into a metagame that's too defensive for my liking. Most battles have turned into who can kill of the opponent's special wall and set up a bulky CMer first. Without Garchomp, they have much less to fear when sleeping or using Sleep Talk. I'm not saying that offensive teams aren't effective, it's just that without the threat of Garchomp, defensive teams have much less to fear in their setup attempts.

Additionally, Garchomp has never given any of my teams significant problems. Strategy, prediction, and smart play are often enough to keep his threat level low. While I do agree with others that this may be because we've adapted to its presence by making sure we can counter it, the same can be said for any Pokemon.
  7. bolt.

bolt.

Nevermind, my friend told me that only 29 people were getting to vote. I noticed that that was when it was going to be decided after. Ehhh, sorry, wasn't thinking, only listening.
  8. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

voted uber for obvious reasons.

Only two votes away from the magic number! Looks like this was even more overwhelming than I thought it would be.
  9. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

28th Uber vote here.
  10. TAY

TAY You and I Know
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well I brought this up in IS, but I really don't think Garchomp is Uber with deoxys-e around, since the speed boost from dragon dance make users of that move more potent than Garchomp, who really plays more as a wallbreaker with a chance to sweep. Both dual screen and sweeper deoxys have turned the metagame into "break walls until I can sweep", and dragon dancers are much, much better at sweeping since revenge killing after a speed boost is a huge pain. In addition, with the metagame as offensive as it is, players generally have a higher number of pokemon who are faster than garchomp, making it significantly less of a threat.

With deoxys gone I believe the metagame would become somewhat more defensive again, and Garchomp would revert back to the ridiculous threat it once was.

Anyway, since we are not voting on Deoxys-E as well, my first instinct is to vote OU; however, it isn't far fetched at all to assume that Deoxys-E will be banned sometime in the coming months. Therefore, I am voting Uber.
  11. MythTrainerInfinity

MythTrainerInfinity

Looks like its 29, its official folks! Garchomp is Uber!
  12. Syberia

Syberia [custom user title]
    is a Pre-Contributor

And with that, he's gone.
  13. Stallion

Stallion Winner of the "Smogon's Prettiest Girl of All Time" comp
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

fuck :( well at least I tried. Ehh it'll be interesting to see a metagame without it, although now lots of my best teams are null.
  14. wDro

wDro

Aw man, my vote didn't affect the final result =\
  15. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

EVERYONE STILL VOTE PLEASE! I'M NOT CLOSING THE POLL UNTIL EVERYONE HAS VOTED. WE ARE VERY INTERESTED IN HOW CLOSE THINGS TURN OUT TO BE.
  16. The_Elitist

The_Elitist

Voted Uber.

Not close at all, I believe. The percentage that vote Ubers will probably keep increasing. We all know what Garchomp has done to the OU metagame.
  17. Astamatitos

Astamatitos

Seems like i am late. :/

Voted uber.
  18. Justinawe

Justinawe

Voting uber for reasons already stated.
  19. Shaft

Shaft

Voted for ubers.. hasn't have to be explained.

Btw sorry Aeolus xD didn't see this thread when I was pming you.
  20. Nachos

Nachos Good player alert!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Voted OU.
  21. mien

mien
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

OU for me
  22. Dekzeh

Dekzeh It's the sound of the world ending.
    is a Pre-Contributoris a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Voted Uber.
  23. unaware

unaware

voted uber.
  24. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I have now voted.

I'm actually quite suprised at the number difference - I would've originally expected the numbers to be far more one-sided, like 50-8 or something. Either way, it seems as if the inevitable is upon us.
  25. MythTrainerInfinity

MythTrainerInfinity

Still a 2.5:1 current ratio for Ubers vs. OU is pretty substantial.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)