Pokémon Garchomp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a rough time with Mega Garchomp, probably because I've been trying to use it as a sweeper rather than a wallbreaker. Is an Assault Vest set viable? I've noticed it gets brought down mostly by super-effective special attacks.
You either go Mega or AV, sadly old Chompy is a glass hammer so you really have to pick and choose when and where to use him and isn't a fire and forget like Dragonite, Salamence, Charizard X/Y, and so on.

Although if you could get something to set tailwind for him before hand that might really bring him around

>https://twitter.com/matome_pokemon/status/546872807846473729?s=01

Garchomp will soon get the coveted Dragon Dance via Event. You know what this means?

http://i.imgur.com/BSztb3j.png

+1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Sableye in Sand: 289-342 (95 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO [Jolly Outside of Sand does (67.1 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO]
+1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Sand: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery [Same situation in brackets above does (51.2 - 60.4%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery]
+1 252+ Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 280-330 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO [Jolly Etc. does (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, Dragon Claw over Outrage does (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery]
+1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria in Sand: 393-463 (135 - 159.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO [(94.8 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO]

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Stone Edge

Say hello to the new meta, boys.

EDIT: After a few hours, Serebii still hasn't confirmed! Stay on your toes.
EDIT EDIT: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/792673-pokemon-omega-ruby/70859797?page=5
Serebii (de)Confirmed! Show's over, folks. It was a fun ride.

Last edited:
Kinda sad Chomp is maybe only now getting the boosting move it needed when you think it'd be his birthright seeing he is a dragon and through a event of all things. As if to say that GF are being generous and gave Chomp a exclusive move usually meant for legendaries, not a boosting move that most of his kind can already learn. Also this implies Chomp isn't gonna be able to learn dd through any other means so it isn't gonna be able to learn it in any more convenient ways later on. Nope, it is that exclusive event that finally gives Chomp the move it has always needed. Unless GF decides to troll us by letting it to learn that move, making that event just a glorified sneak peek and a wasted opportunity to learn extreme speed or something >_>

I know I'm kinda ranting but I've always been a bit pissed how GF have been unkind to Chomp after gen 4 and it always seem like they are purposefully nerf it down. It's mega is wasted for the most part (though that dragon dance may finally save it from obscurity) and it has taken it this long to learn dragon dance. It's like they are trying so hard not to make it broken again that they are willing to refuse it the most given things like decreasing it's mega's great speed and give it a crappy ability (sand rush would have been a awesome weather ability though) while boost Mega Mence in the best ways imaginable. Just give the guy a break already GF.

Chomp hasn't always needed DD.
Chomp has always needed some way to increase it's speed if it wants to sweep and it really can't do that except maybe with scarf and not having to run it allows it to run lum berry or other item that would increase it's sweeping potential. Open up the item slot for a boosting move is always preferable and while swords dance is cool dragon dance is simply much better. Especially for Mega Chomp who really needs to fix it's speed to be other than just a niche wallbreaker.

So, assuming dat picture is true and we will eventually get DD on Chomp, should we wait until be confirmed by serebii, or start to look for possible movesets right now? I meant, something like:

Garchomp-Mega (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance

(P.S.: I came up with this set in just 30 seconds, so don't take it too serious ok?)

Now with DD, Garchomp could actually outspeed Jolly Scarf Landorus-T after a single boost and then proceed to rip everything on your way, end of story. The only reason why Mega Chomp sucks was because that unfortunate drop of speed, so therefore I personally think that Mixed DD Mega Chomp not only will be hitting hard as fuk (because he will), while I'm also trying to imagine how OU would react to a mixed sweeper that can't be paralyzed... That is the point i'm wondering right now, and it would be nice if someone give your opinion about this.

Sure, he will not be without his problems: The Mega Slot for an DD sweeper (and for an overall Mega) is already incredible disputed, without a boost he is okayish at beast and Prankster Sableye (not necessarily mega) can burn him, leaving EQ useless, but I'm really hyped for DD Garchomp; Not only because his mega will become a terror, but it also greatly improves regular Chomp, making the Scarf a little outclassed and only good to revenge killing purposes, and even then there's Smogon Bird to do his job either way (jk lol)

what you guys think?

Kinda sad Chomp is maybe only now getting the boosting move it needed when you think it'd be his birthright seeing he is a dragon and through a event of all things. As if to say that GF are being generous and gave Chomp a exclusive move usually meant for legendaries, not a boosting move that most of his kind can already learn. Also this implies Chomp isn't gonna be able to learn dd through any other means so it isn't gonna be able to learn it in any more convenient ways later on. Nope, it is that exclusive event that finally gives Chomp the move it has always needed. Unless GF decides to troll us by letting it to learn that move, making that event just a glorified sneak peek and a wasted opportunity to learn extreme speed or something >_>

I know I'm kinda ranting but I've always been a bit pissed how GF have been unkind to Chomp after gen 4 and it always seem like they are purposefully nerf it down. It's mega is wasted for the most part (though that dragon dance may finally save it from obscurity) and it has taken it this long to learn dragon dance. It's like they are trying so hard not to make it broken again that they are willing to refuse it the most given things like decreasing it's mega's great speed and give it a crappy ability (sand rush would have been a awesome weather ability though) while boost Mega Mence in the best ways imaginable. Just give the guy a break already GF.
yeah why is gf so mean to the 600 bst dragon that's always been ou or higher? ;_;

at first I was a bit scared by this news but it'll probably be somewhat easily kept in check by common scarfers, and it has the benefit of making scarf lando-t a bit less powerful as a revenge killer/all purpose pivot.

haunter

Banned deucer.
So, assuming dat picture is true and we will eventually get DD on Chomp, should we wait until be confirmed by serebii, or start to look for possible movesets right now? I meant, something like:

Garchomp-Mega (M) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance

(P.S.: I came up with this set in just 30 seconds, so don't take it too serious ok?)

Now with DD, Garchomp could actually outspeed Jolly Scarf Landorus-T after a single boost and then proceed to rip everything on your way, end of story. The only reason why Mega Chomp sucks was because that unfortunate drop of speed, so therefore I personally think that Mixed DD Mega Chomp not only will be hitting hard as fuk (because he will), while I'm also trying to imagine how OU would react to a mixed sweeper that can't be paralyzed... That is the point i'm wondering right now, and it would be nice if someone give your opinion about this.

Sure, he will not be without his problems: The Mega Slot for an DD sweeper (and for an overall Mega) is already incredible disputed, without a boost he is okayish at beast and Prankster Sableye (not necessarily mega) can burn him, leaving EQ useless, but I'm really hyped for DD Garchomp; Not only because his mega will become a terror, but it also greatly improves regular Chomp, making the Scarf a little outclassed and only good to revenge killing purposes, and even then there's Smogon Bird to do his job either way (jk lol)

what you guys think?
Can I see the source of the rumour of Garchomp getting Dragon Dance?

Can I see the source of the rumour of Garchomp getting Dragon Dance?
Just look a few latter posts:
>https://twitter.com/matome_pokemon/status/546872807846473729?s=01

SUP, (BAN ME PLEASE)S?
Garchomp will soon get the coveted Dragon Dance via Event. You know what this means?

http://i.imgur.com/BSztb3j.png

+1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Sableye in Sand: 289-342 (95 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO [Jolly Outside of Sand does (67.1 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO]
+1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Sand: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery [Same situation in brackets above does (51.2 - 60.4%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery]
+1 252+ Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 280-330 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO [Jolly Etc. does (83.8 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, Dragon Claw over Outrage does (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery]
+1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria in Sand: 393-463 (135 - 159.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO [(94.8 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO]

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Stone Edge

Say hello to the new meta, boys.

EDIT: After a few hours, Serebii still hasn't confirmed! Stay on your toes.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Just look a few latter posts:
Sorry, I'm a bit rusty with Japanese... And I'm not inclined to give any credit to someone who starts his post with the sentence "sup fa**ots". The animation suggests me the Chomp in the picture is using Outrage.

Sorry, I'm a bit rusty with Japanese... And I'm not inclined to give any credit to someone who starts his post with the sentence "sup fa**ots". The animation suggests me the Chomp in the picture is using Outrage.
lol I'm not here to judge how someone started to write a post, but srsly Harumonia let's be somewhat civilized here plz. About the Outrage thing... Yeah, it's questionable: You see the new animation Outrage got in ORAS doesn't quite match the picture in question. If you see Bulbapedia's wiki, we can compare the two moves, first off Outrage:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Outrage_(move)

In this image, you can cleary see what's look like orange lines coming off Rayquaza, combined with the smoke and also orange background... None of them appear in the supposed Garchomp. Moving on the Dragon Dance:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dragon_Dance_(move)

Here's what clarifies everything... If you look closely, you can see red dots coming off Charmander, along with the green and red circles around him... That's EXACTLY how Garchomp was registered in the suspect photo, making perfectly clear that the move in question IS DD.
Now, I'm not gonna disagree from everything you suggest... Like I said on my post, this can possible be indeed fake and it could just be a PowerSave'd illegal move that some japanese come with (but I'm hope this is real)

it is definitivly dragon dance but ingame footage is not really a reliable source, since a lot of hacked pokemon are around like Flamethrower Caterpie and Sturdy Shedinja with Sheer Cold or something.

I stick with official sources or serebii

So backpeddling a bit, I think "Garchomp would be a solid sweeper if..." is a poor diagnosis. The meta is just very hostile towards sweepers in 6th Gen, especially physical ones. Garchomp is still capable of performing sweeps, but committed builds for it tend to fall short because stacking hazards, touch effects, a large amount of burn effects, fast or bulky mons with Roar/Whirlwind etc. Sweepers are just too easily disrupted this gen to dedicate too much to it.

But Bulkychomp is still a solid monster-and-a-half.

So backpeddling a bit, I think "Garchomp would be a solid sweeper if..." is a poor diagnosis. The meta is just very hostile towards sweepers in 6th Gen, especially physical ones. Garchomp is still capable of performing sweeps, but committed builds for it tend to fall short because stacking hazards, touch effects, a large amount of burn effects, fast or bulky mons with Roar/Whirlwind etc. Sweepers are just too easily disrupted this gen to dedicate too much to it.

But Bulkychomp is still a solid monster-and-a-half.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with this statement. There is a reason that many of the best mons on the viability ranking are offensive, it is really THE playstyle right now. Some people play stall because, I don't knkw, it's the hipster thing to do? Lol, jk, anyways, many of these top mons are wall breakers first, but still strong sweepers second, like Gardevoir, Megagross, Gallade, you get the idea. During late X&Y, during the era of the Big Blue S, 4/5 of S ranked mons were sweepers/ cleaners (not much difference, really). So, while you certainly have a point, it's not completely accurate.

This is the set I usually run when I want a Garchomp-Mega in my team:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Chop / Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Iron Head / Fire Fang

The last moveslot usually depends on the team it has to adapt to, with Stone Edge being the move of preference to complete the QuakeEdge perfect coverage (if that's still a thing? I can see Bronzong being a problem if it has Levitate, but for that you can drop a Fire Fang - weak, but gets the job done [slowly]). I used Iron Head against the pesky fairies of the Monotype meta, it seems to get some people by surprise, and it outspeeds most fairies.

Do note that I don't use any Special moves there - I don't like running mixed sets, although they are certainly worth mentioning. If running Fire Fang for Ferrothorn, you might consider swapping it for Fire Blast and changing the Nature accordingly, as it won't give you the Iron Barbs recoil and is sure to OHKO.

The point in the set is to switch into choice users who can't do you much (looking at you, electric-type moves) to get that free turn and setup a Swords Dance, and then proceed to face wreck the enemy team. After a Swords Dance, Dual Chop hits really hard while also breaking Sash / Subs. Garchomp's base 170 attack stat with a base speed of 102 in the turn it mega evolves may also allow him to revenge kill, thus the Scarfchomp people usually run. This set might not be as fast, but it can survive most neutral hits with ease and hit back with a super strong move :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)