Gardevoir (Analysis) [QC 1/3]

Gardevoir

QC: PK Gaming

[OVERVIEW]

• Gardevoir is a truly unique pokémon, being the only offensive user of Trace, letting her check weather sweepers effectively.
  • However, due to the banning of Drizzle / Swift Swim teams and Jolly Excadrill always outspeeding her without a Scarf in Sandstorm, her potential is somewhat wasted in the current OU metagame.
  • Of course, Gardevoir still has an impressive movepool, can abuse Trace pretty well, and has decent stats to work with, so not all is lost.
[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Psychic
Move 2: Thunderbolt
Move 3: Focus Blast
Move 4: Trick / Destiny Bond
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Gardevoir on the offensive can be something scary for weather teams. She can outspeed and OHKO a lot of Swift Swimmers with Thunderbolt, but unfortunately lacks the power to kill Kingdra and Ludicolo outright. Psychic is for STAB and utility against the increasing number of Fighting types this gen, and it also hits the Chlorophyll abusing Venusaur hard.
  • Focus Blast is for sand teams and Dark types in general. With a Scarf she outspeeds and OHKOs Excadrill and Tyranitar, which is nice.
  • Trick with a Scarf lets you cripple walls like Blissey and especially Chansey (you can then trick the Evo Stone onto an opponent for profit) whilst Destiny Bond lets you get kills against the aforementioned Kingdra and Ludicolo.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Energy Ball can be used in place of Thunderbolt, hitting Ground types as well but losing coverage against Flying types.
  • Hidden Power Ice also lets you take down Landorus with ease, and has utility against Dragons and such.
  • Shadow Ball and Signal Beam can be used to hit other Psychics, but aren't really needed or wanted the majority of the time. Signal Beam does OHKO Exeggutor and Shiftry though, who otherwise wall this set and set up on it with Growth.
[SET]
Name: Life Orb Attacker
Move 1: Psychic
Move 2: Thunderbolt
Move 3: Focus Blast
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Pain Split
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Without a Scarf, Gardevoir fails to outspeed Jolly Doryuuzu in sand, and most things without a speed boosting ability (still faster than most Swift Swim sets, mind)
  • However, she also gains 30% more power and can now be used to check less frail pokémon. For example, she can switch in to Gyarados or Salamence after a death, Intimidate them, and proceed to OHKO with the appropriate move whilst not being KOd herself.
  • Pain Split lets you heal fully against Blissey and Chansey, who can't status you thanks to Tracing Natural Cure. Epic lols.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Different Hidden Powers can be used for different threats. For example HP Ground lets you counter Heatran thanks to Tracing Flash Fire.
  • Icy Wind can be used over HP Ice, letting you hit faster opponents on the switch and proceeding to outspeed and KO them.
  • Will o Wisp lets you inflict status on stuff you can't touch otherwise, particularly against Pursuit trappers, since you can stay in and at least try to dent them afterwards.
  • Again, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball and Signal Beam can be used to give coverage against specific threats.
[SET]
Name: Support
Move 1: Wish
Move 2: Protect
Move 3: Heal Bell
Move 4: Psychic / Destiny Bond
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Gardevoir can also run a nifty support set with its impressive movepool, although its stats make it somewhat lacklustre. She can act as a good cleric, switching in on Traced Immunities and proceeding to heal the team on the opponent's own switch.
  • Wish and Protect give her and her team HP recovery, which is nice. If you don't want Protect for whatever reason, Will o Wisp gives you a nice status option whilst Encore can act as a deterrant for boosters (although it's less effective this generation due to its shortened duration)
  • Psychic is a good STAB and is helpful against Fighting types, whilst Destiny Bond lets you act as a makeshift check to Adamant Excadrill and Swift Swimmers.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Taunt lets you shut down other walls, and Magic Coat lets you block an opponent's Taunt effectively, but both struggle to find space on a crowded set.
  • Pain Split can be used instead of Wish should you be turned off by Gardevoir's low HP stat, but prevents you from healing your teammates.
  • Other status options include Hypnosis, Thunder Wave and Toxic.

[SET]
Name: Dual Screens
Move 1: Reflect
Move 2: Light Screen
Move 3: Healing Wish / Memento
Move 4: Magic Coat
Item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Gardevoir can pull off a Dual Screens set similarly to Uxie; whilst lacking Bulk and Speed she does get Trace to give her utility against certain opponents, and has Healing Wish as a trump card.
  • She can switch in against Mischievious Heart users, Magic Coat their Taunt and then proceed to set up priority screens in their face, which is a useful niche.
  • Healing Wish lets Gardevoir excel as a mid-game sweeper replenisher, but Memento is still usable should you want to guarantee some setup time instead of healing.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• If you don't care about Taunt, you can use Psychic or any of Gardevoir's other supporting moves instead of Magic Coat.
  • Mental Herb can also be used to block Taunt, but at the cost of 3 turns of screens it largely isn't worth it.
[OTHER OPTIONS]

• Psycho Shock can be used on all sets, but lacks potency against primarily physical Fighting type threats such as Conkeldurr. It's worth noting that Blissey is already dealt with thanks to Tracing Natural Cure, and possibly using Trick or Pain Split.
  • Choice Specs is a viable option over the Scarf set, playing like the Life Orb set but requiring more switches in exchange for more power.
  • A Calm Mind set is possible, but not advisable in an environment with such powerful Physical threats.
  • A Trick Room set can be run using Trick Room, Encore and Destiny Bond to good effect, but Gardevoir might be a little too fast to do this that effectively.
  • Gardevoir's other ability, Synchronize, is largely unnecessary since Trace is pretty much your reason for using Gardevoir over Uxie or the like. It's not as if Gardevoir lacks status options, either.
[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

• Scizor can come in on anything but Will o Wisp and put Gardevoir in a very uncomfortable position with Bullet Punch, U Turn and Pursuit.
  • Scrafty can come in on a Choiced Psychic or any of the support sets and start boosting, not fearing Will o Wisp thanks to Shed Skin and then proceeding to sweep.
  • Reuniclus has the bulk to take anything Gardevoir throws at it, is unaffected by Will o Wisp or Pain Split and can Calm Mind to infinity unless Gardevoir packs Taunt.
  • The best counter to Gardevoir is often just a lack of weather abusers or pokes with immunities for her to Trace sweet abilities off. Without Trace, she's basically an inferior Psychic type to Mesprit, Alakazam or Uxie depending on her role.

[DREAM WORLD]
Dream World Gardevoir has not been released yet. However, her alleged ability Telepathy may make her a useful supporter in Double Battles, especially since she knows some unique support moves including Healing Beam. Whilst she would have to sacrifice the utility of Trace for this role, she certainly has a better supporting movepool than other users like Beheeyem (or whatever).

Finished! If anyone could help me out with EVs and the like, or has other sets that they think are worth mentioning, then please let me know.

No Psycho Shock? Not even Slashed? PS helps it deal with specail walls like Bliss and has been on every Psychics' set.
Psycho Shock deals only around 15% more damage to Blissey than Focus Blast (whilst admittedly being 100% accurate) and you should really be Tricking or setting up against Blissey anyways. It also hits for worse damage against the vast majority of targets; for example Roobushin can survive Timid Psycho Shock whilst it cannot survive Psychic. Since Gardevoir isn't boosting or sweeping, it's basically an inferior option.

Bump to say that the write-up is finished, and that I would like to submit it to QC. Thanks guys!

Just a thought, but wouldn't Wish be less effective this gen, considering that it's now based off of the user's HP and that Gard has low HP? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: Disregard this. I forgot Synchronize didn't pass self-inflicted status.

Just a thought, but wouldn't Wish be less effective this gen, considering that it's now based off of the user's HP and that Gard has low HP? Or am I missing something?
No, that's a very valid point. I've changed the set to Defensive Supporter, and slashed in Pain Split and Heal Bell as options, should you not want to Wish pass.

Change that set's heading; just name it as "Support". Othwerwise, this is a good analysis. How about a Specs set?
Done and done. I've decided to mention Specs in the optional changes, since although the extra power is very nice, missing out on killing Doryuuzu and losing some midgame revenging utility really hurts Gardevoir's usefulness. If you can show me that Specs nab a bunch of key OHKOs on slower pokémon then I'd be happy to add a set.

Are there any more fixes that need to be made, such as set viability and other written up sets? Apologies if periodic bumps aren't allowed on articles undergoing quality control.

Would using Heal Bell after being burned remove your burn? Or would the Flame ORb prevent the burn from leaving? Or, alternatively, would the burn disappear, but Flame Orb would start "counting down" and reignite Gardevoir once she is switched in again?

You may want to mention a Synchronize set with Flame Orb, as that totally criplles most physical sweepers.
"If another Pokémon inflicts burn, paralysis, or poison on the ability-bearer, then the enemy receives the status as well. Toxic poison is passed on as regular poison. Self-induced status is not passed on." - Smogon 4th gen analysis.

Sorry, but this set doesn't work. Even if it did, you're basically getting a 100% accurate Will o Wisp and a free moveslot at the cost of 18.25% health per turn relative to the usual leftovers, and a lack of Trace. Which is not worth it.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
In the same vein, she has another ability in Synchronise, but the removal of Trace largely makes Gardevoir outclassed by other supporting Psychics like Cresselia or Uxie.
Synchronoise is a move that damages you an all other Psychics in the field. The ability in Synchronize.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some things to mention in the Additional Comments for the Support set about Encore:
1. The role of Encoring stat-uppers is largely done better by Erufuun, as it has priority and can SubSeed during those free turns, while all Gardevoir can do is status as the opponent continues to stat-boost.
2. Perhaps you should mention the Encore nerf?
If this is bad advice and doesn't need to be put in, then :\. I'm just throwing something out there.

Would using Heal Bell after being burned remove your burn? Or would the Flame ORb prevent the burn from leaving? Or, alternatively, would the burn disappear, but Flame Orb would start "counting down" and reignite Gardevoir once she is switched in again?
It re-ignite's Gardevoir at the end of each turn. Either way, all Psycho Shift sets are now officially outclassed by Magic Guard Shinboraa.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
(only Ludicolo and Gamageroge are not)
Kingdra?

Move 3: Memento / Healing Wish
Swap these around, might as well outline gardevoirs over Uxie as much as possible.

I'd probably slash HP Ice with trick instead of Thunderbolt (Trick as the primary option) because Thunderbolt is really important to Gardevoir.

Hmmm, convince me why I would run Gardevoir in that role (the wish/protect/wisp/psychic) over Porygon-2 who it looks like it does that role more effectively except for beating roobushin.

panamaxis said:
Hmmm, convince me why I would run Gardevoir in that role (the wish/protect/wisp/psychic) over Porygon-2 who it looks like it does that role more effectively except for beating roobushin.
Well Gardevoir has the option of healing teammates in the meantime where Porygon2 does not, since it lacks the move Wish. And it also lacks Will o Wisp, and whilst I appreciate that Porygon2 is a superior status platform than Gardevoir, being able to burn and take on Fighting types that would normally screw you up is a niche. Heal Bell is also something that Porygon2 doesn't have.

If you're not convinced then I'll remove the set, but I think it's different enough from Porygon2 to be worth mentioning. I'll mention Porygon2 in the write-up, though.

I'll also make all of the aforementioned changes, thanks! :)

You might want to think of putting a flame orb/ sincronize set on her as This will give both pokemon a burn, but since gardevoir is a special attacker it doesn't really effect her much, the opponent, if they are a physical attacker will then get crippled. worth mentioning I think although I think that trace is better

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You might want to think of putting a flame orb/ sincronize set on her as This will give both pokemon a burn, but since gardevoir is a special attacker it doesn't really effect her much, the opponent, if they are a physical attacker will then get crippled. worth mentioning I think although I think that trace is better
Synchronize can't pass self-inflicted status.

Guys! As I've already said, Synchronize does not work like Psycho Shift. This status passing set isn't possible, and even if it was, it's basically inferior to running Will o Wisp or Toxic since you don't actually damage yourself.

Ready for QC guys.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone seen the uses of trace?

Things like Sand Throw also are copied by Trace, so with a Scarf you could cause some damage.
Yup, that's the basis of the first set.

Nice write up GtM. QC is pretty slow at the moment (probably school or who knows...), so as they say, patience is a virtue!

Excellent write-up. My only nitpick is that, on the Dual Screens set, I highly doubt that Magic Coat works very well; not only do very few Pokemon even bother taking the time to set up on Gardevoir (as opposed to KOing her outright), but Espeon is much better anyway as its ability allows it to switch in on, say, Aerodactyl's Stealth Rock (in my experience, anyway...) or Forretress/Nattorei's Spikes, and get some free setup without wasting a move. Of course, it's a moot point if Espy switches in on an attack, but I stand by my statement.

tl;dr: Great analysis; no need for Magic Coat, because Espeon does it better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)