OU Gardevoir

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Perhaps defensive sets should be mentioned (and then dismissed for reasons: ?) in OO; Gardevoir does have the support movepool for people to start getting the wrong idea.

I would put some mention of paralysis or Sticky Web support in the team options area for the mega stone set, because from my experience she seems to love it. I've been playing around with her and while she hits like a truck 90 speed is really unimpressive. Also mentioning the Trace/Taunt combo vs. Prankster Pokemon in usage tips might be cool. If you're have some serious trouble with one you can either switch in on a weak Foul Play and Prankster Taunt or sac a poke for a safer switch in. I think Gardevoir is one of the best counters to swagplay atm because of it along w/ Hyper Voice hitting through subs.

I still Gardevoir should invest in full hp and special attack
For that it can effectively 2hko ttar without taking a fatal amount of damage.
Same with azumarill. As well as having a much more moderate chance of OHKOing jolteon and 2HKOing vaporeon.
being behind the reflect allows it to truck through a whole new spectrum of pokes it could Handel before.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I still Gardevoir should invest in full hp and special attack
For that it can effectively 2hko ttar without taking a fatal amount of damage.
Same with azumarill. As well as having a much more moderate chance of OHKOing jolteon and 2HKOing vaporeon.
being behind the reflect allows it to truck through a whole new spectrum of pokes it could Handel before.
max hp on Gardevoir is horrible, and both sets outpace T-Tar anyway, both sets 2HKOing with Hyper Voice and Moonblast. Tyranitar can't switch into Gardevoir anymore due to Gardevoir's new typing.

Also, Jolteon is nonexistant in this meta as it is outclassed by Mega Manectric who has one less base speed than Jolteon, access to intimidate, higher spec. attack, access to Lightningrod prior to mega evolution (which is better on a pokemon like Manectric or Jolteon than Volt Absorb) and better overall bulk.

Also, (this last one is just a nitpick) you used the wrong context of the word handle, as you said Handel which is a composer from the romantic era.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've just noticed this, but a little format nitpick: you should NOT state the mega evolution's ability next to ability, however you mention it in the other sections of the analysis as it what it will be using after it has activated its mega stone (but don't forget to say why you have chosen that ability prior to mega evolution).

max hp on Gardevoir is horrible, and both sets outpace T-Tar anyway, both sets 2HKOing with Hyper Voice and Moonblast. Tyranitar can't switch into Gardevoir anymore due to Gardevoir's new typing.

Also, Jolteon is nonexistant in this meta as it is outclassed by Mega Manectric who has one less base speed than Jolteon, access to intimidate, higher spec. attack, access to Lightningrod prior to mega evolution (which is better on a pokemon like Manectric or Jolteon than Volt Absorb) and better overall bulk.

Also, (this last one is just a nitpick) you used the wrong context of the word handle, as you said Handel which is a composer from the romantic era.
Your only looking at the offensive context but when gardevoir places a reflect up the extra hp allows it to survive alot more scenarios in witch i could not before. Being able to survive powerfull speedy counters and kill them in return will allow you to retain momentum rather than switching out or letting it die.

Martin

Your only looking at the offensive context but when gardevoir places a reflect up the extra hp allows it to survive alot more scenarios in witch i could not before. Being able to survive powerfull speedy counters and kill them in return will allow you to retain momentum rather than switching out or letting it die.
The problem is that the QC team has already deemed the defensive set to be outclassed. Hense the offensive context

But
The problem is that the QC team has already deemed the defensive set to be outclassed. Hense the offensive context
its not acting as a wall. Its utilizing the extra ability to survive so that any powerful physical threat ain't a check. Its not being used as a defensive poke for that its purpose is more similar to an all out trucking T tar.

Punchshroom

But

its not acting as a wall. Its utilizing the extra ability to survive so that any powerful physical threat ain't a check. Its not being used as a defensive poke for that its purpose is more similar to an all out trucking T tar.
In that case, I think I'd rather use Substitute to stop physical attackers from checking Gardevoir, since it can be used to block status as well. The possible amount of damage Gardevoir takes while setting up Reflect may drop Garde into revenge killing range regardless, due to its poor base HP (for the same reasons Alakazam is not seen using Reflect). As you said, Gardevoir is not acting as a wall, so why drop all speed investment and fail to outrun or at least speedtie stuff it otherwise could have, like Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Suicune, Staraptor, Mega Medicham, Charizard, and etc., depending on whether it is Mega or not.

In that case, I think I'd rather use Substitute to stop physical attackers from checking Gardevoir, since it can be used to block status as well. The possible amount of damage Gardevoir takes while setting up Reflect may drop Garde into revenge killing range regardless, due to its poor base HP (for the same reasons Alakazam is not seen using Reflect). As you said, Gardevoir is not acting as a wall, so why drop all speed investment and fail to outrun or at least speedtie stuff it otherwise could have, like Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Suicune, Staraptor, Mega Medicham, Charizard, and etc., depending on whether it is Mega or not.
Don't get me wrong its just sub works well in a different way. For that sub can give a one hit survival if you get it off And yeah it works. But generally one would put up the reflect on a force switch or weaker special attacker, witch are more common than one would think. And im not saying sub or reflect is superior but if the gardevoir dose get cut short to perhaps 1 kill or even none if the opponent played well your team still retains the reflect afterwards.
But hey if no one agree's with me in the end it will be a niche i use then. Xd

Here an interesting timbit of info
252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir through Reflect: 227-267 (66.7 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage Through reflect in timid nature no hp investments.
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 288-338 (71.2 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Modest nature hp investments. In reflect.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Don't get me wrong its just sub works well in a different way. For that sub can give a one hit survival if you get it off And yeah it works. But generally one would put up the reflect on a force switch or weaker special attacker, witch are more common than one would think. And im not saying sub or reflect is superior but if the gardevoir dose get cut short to perhaps 1 kill or even none if the opponent played well your team still retains the reflect afterwards.
But hey if no one agree's with me in the end it will be a niche i use then. Xd

Here an interesting timbit of info
252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir through Reflect: 227-267 (66.7 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage Through reflect in timid nature no hp investments.
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 288-338 (71.2 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Modest nature hp investments. In reflect.
Mega Tyranitar would realistically never be slower than your 252 HP MegaVoir since they are Dragon Dance variants. This means that Jolly Mega Tyranitar 2HKOes MegaVoir right through its Reflect. With Crunch.
252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 220-261 (64.7 - 76.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
MegaVoir needs Speed if it wants to use Reflect (and Will-O-Wisp effectively). Will-O-Wisp is generally better though since it can turn the opponent's Pokemon into easy setup fodder throughout the entire match or just long enough for that one crucial turn and provides passive damage, rather than for ~4 turns that do not last long throughout the match at all, given Gardevoir's fraility and inability to heal. You don't see Alakazam pulling this kind of shit for the same reason.

Mega Tyranitar would realistically never be slower than your 252 HP MegaVoir since they are Dragon Dance variants. This means that Jolly Mega Tyranitar 2HKOes MegaVoir right through its Reflect. With Crunch.

MegaVoir needs Speed if it wants to use Reflect (and Will-O-Wisp effectively). Will-O-Wisp is generally better though since it can turn the opponent's Pokemon into easy setup fodder throughout the entire match or just long enough for that one crucial turn and provides passive damage, rather than for ~4 turns that do not last long throughout the match at all, given Gardevoir's fraility and inability to heal. You don't see Alakazam pulling this kind of shit for the same reason.
>.< i dunno perhaps it just dose not sound good on paper iv been using it in ou to great success. (for what its ment to do of course) but hey if people don't like it what can ya do?
And yeah im aware there is dragon dance variants i was gunna post them to but my page started blitzing it's something my cpu dose sometimes.

Martin

>.< i dunno perhaps it just dose not sound good on paper iv been using it in ou to great success. (for what its ment to do of course) but hey if people don't like it what can ya do?
And yeah im aware there is dragon dance variants i was gunna post them to but my page started blitzing it's something my cpu dose sometimes.
just so I can get a gauge on the kind of level of play that it been successful at, can I have you PS rank for OU and your win:loss ratio using the set (or if you haven't been keeping count a rough estimate, IE. 6:1 being 6 wins and 1 loss). Once again I'm not judging you, i just want to get a gauge on the rough level of play that you have been having success with the set at.

just so I can get a gauge on the kind of level of play that it been successful at, can I have you PS rank for OU and your win:loss ratio using the set (or if you haven't been keeping count a rough estimate, IE. 6:1 being 6 wins and 1 loss). Once again I'm not judging you, i just want to get a gauge on the rough level of play that you have been having success with the set at.
Ah no problem i was awaiting this question to be honest. Saddly i have not been apart of any tournaments this gen for the real opponents but in standing i would say that im 3:6 to be honest but i think it help if i say on Pokemon showdown im in the rank 1500's. But hey iv just been having success with it but that could very well be surprise factor in the same sense as simple swoobat and such ( witch i also use.)

Last edited:
What kind of teams does the Scarf set works with? I want to try that out since A LOT of times I wanted to stay in regular form with Gardy just because she traced a good ability and Pixilate will just take it away, she's also forced out a lot so, a Scarf seems like a good option for pivoting.

What kind of teams does the Scarf set works with? I want to try that out since A LOT of times I wanted to stay in regular form with Gardy just because she traced a good ability and Pixilate will just take it away, she's also forced out a lot so, a Scarf seems like a good option for pivoting.
Scarf gardevoir can work as a debilitation or offensive o mixed with 2 attacks and willowisp/Twave/encore ect the teams it works on from my experience are generally balanced team with both defensive and offensive threats.

I'm running a defensive set:

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Protect
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Wish
item: Leftovers
ability: Trace
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spdef

I would argue this is a viable set in OU. Protect goes well with both WoW and Wish. Moonblast for the obvious STAB attack. WoW is vital because of Garde's terrible defensive stat. This set has quite a bit of success online, able to take on a Mega-Blaziken toe-to-toe.

I'm running a defensive set:

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Protect
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Wish
item: Leftovers
ability: Trace
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spdef

I would argue this is a viable set in OU. Protect goes well with both WoW and Wish. Moonblast for the obvious STAB attack. WoW is vital because of Garde's terrible defensive stat. This set has quite a bit of success online, able to take on a Mega-Blaziken toe-to-toe.
May i ask you how you take one mega blaziken when you can't burn it? or hit it super effectively with no special attack investment?

May i ask you how you take one mega blaziken when you can't burn it? or hit it super effectively with no special attack investment?
Playthrough blaziken without perfect IVs, EVs and a shitty movepool probably, I've fought a ton of them on WiFi from random passerbies.

Seems crazy, I know. But I've done it more than just a couple of times. Since fighting moves don't do anything to Garde, Blaziken can really only use Fire moves, which is 90% of the time Flair Blitz which does damage to the user, or Brave Bird, which also does damage to the user. A predictive wish as well as a protect or two combined Moonblast, even though it does neutral damage is enough to take down Mega Blaziken. Not to mention now you have a Gardevoir with Speedboost.

Seems crazy, I know. But I've done it more than just a couple of times. Since fighting moves don't do anything to Garde, Blaziken can really only use Fire moves, which is 90% of the time Flair Blitz which does damage to the user, or Brave Bird, which also does damage to the user. A predictive wish as well as a protect or two combined Moonblast, even though it does neutral damage is enough to take down Mega Blaziken. Not to mention now you have a Gardevoir with Speedboost.
I dunno its just seems situtional but if you ever get a chance to post a video i would love to see it.

We discussed this on IRC, please make the following changes.

The first set should look like this.

move 1: Hyper Voice
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp

Taunt has really limited use in comparison to Shadow Ball, which 2HKO's Aegislash. HP Ground is weak as hell and doesn't come close to a 2HKO on Aegislash, so it's not good enough and you're better off using Focus Blast for the general coverage and Heatran. Will-O-Wisp is still quite helpful, but Shadow Ball is necessary on All-Out Attacker, we find.

Next, we'd like you to add a Calm Mind set. It was removed before, but the meta's changed since then and CM Gardevoir is great for being able to beat pretty much every stall Pokemon 1 on 1, at least, if it comes in on something like Venusaur and sets up on the switch.

+1 252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 310-366 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Shadow Ball / Taunt

You can mention Sub in set details. Taunt lets you beat stuff like Heatran and Chansey no problem, but Shadow Ball lets it function against more offensive teams too. Its ability to just boost up against many special attackers is great, and it's got good speed to just wreck stuff.

Finally, on the Scarf set, remove Shadow Ball. It can be in set comments, but it's pitifully weak, doing about 40% to Aegislash. Compared to Psyshock, which actually hurts the stuff that it's supposed to hurt, it's inferior.

Thanks!

We discussed this on IRC, please make the following changes.

The first set should look like this.

move 1: Hyper Voice
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp

Taunt has really limited use in comparison to Shadow Ball, which 2HKO's Aegislash. HP Ground is weak as hell and doesn't come close to a 2HKO on Aegislash, so it's not good enough and you're better off using Focus Blast for the general coverage and Heatran. Will-O-Wisp is still quite helpful, but Shadow Ball is necessary on All-Out Attacker, we find.

Next, we'd like you to add a Calm Mind set. It was removed before, but the meta's changed since then and CM Gardevoir is great for being able to beat pretty much every stall Pokemon 1 on 1, at least, if it comes in on something like Venusaur and sets up on the switch.

+1 252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 310-366 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Shadow Ball / Taunt

You can mention Sub in set details. Taunt lets you beat stuff like Heatran and Chansey no problem, but Shadow Ball lets it function against more offensive teams too. Its ability to just boost up against many special attackers is great, and it's got good speed to just wreck stuff.

Finally, on the Scarf set, remove Shadow Ball. It can be in set comments, but it's pitifully weak, doing about 40% to Aegislash. Compared to Psyshock, which actually hurts the stuff that it's supposed to hurt, it's inferior.

Thanks!
Shouldn't HP Ground have a mention on the Calm Mind set? If it's meant to do well against stall, it should have some way to get past a Pokemon that's on basically every stall team ATM.

+1 252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 324-384 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: Ignore this, just realized Taunt beats Heatran easy.

I would put some mention of paralysis or Sticky Web support in the team options area for the mega stone set, because from my experience she seems to love it. I've been playing around with her and while she hits like a truck 90 speed is really unimpressive. Also mentioning the Trace/Taunt combo vs. Prankster Pokemon in usage tips might be cool. If you're have some serious trouble with one you can either switch in on a weak Foul Play and Prankster Taunt or sac a poke for a safer switch in. I think Gardevoir is one of the best counters to swagplay atm because of it along w/ Hyper Voice hitting through subs.
True. Thundurus is a great partner because it can paralyze most sweepers, which Gardevoir can easily finish afterwards. She can even use those paralyzed pokemon as fodder to mega evolve without being attacked first. I've won a battle today where I did that combo against a DD'ed Xzard, and it wouldn't have worked without Thundurus + Gardy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)