Pokémon Gardevoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gardevoir #282

Type:

Abilities: Trace / Synchronize / Telepathy / Pixilate (Mega Forme only)
Base Stats: 68 / 65 / 65 / 125 / 115 / 80 (Normal Forme) 68 / 75 / 65 / 175 / 135 / 100 (Mega Forme)

Moveset:

By level up (as known):

Start Healing Wish
Start Growl
Start Confusion
Start Double Team
Start Teleport
Lvl 6 Confusion
Lvl 10 Double Team
Lvl 12 Teleport
Lvl 17 Lucky Chant
Lvl 22 Magical Leaf
Lvl 25 Heal Pulse
Lvl 33 Calm Mind
Lvl 40 Psychic
Lvl 45 Imprison
Lvl 53 Future Sight
Lvl 60 Captivate
Lvl 65 Hypnosis
Lvl 73 Dream Eater
Lvl 80 Stored Power
Lvl ?? Moon Blast

By TM (as known):

TM03 Psyshock
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM19 Telekinesis
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM47 Round
TM48 Echoed Voice
TM51 Ally Switch
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM56 Fling
TM57 Charge Beam
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM77 Psych Up
TM85 Dream Eater
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

By Breeding (as known):
Confuse Ray
Destiny Bond
Disable
Encore
Grudge
Mean Look
Memento
Shadow Sneak
Skill Swap
Memento

Notable Moves:
Psychic
Psyshock
Calm Mind
Hypnosis
Toxic
Hidden Power
Substitute
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Rest
Sleep Talk
Destiny Bond
Encore
Memento
Reflect
Light Screen​

Analysis:
Gardevoir has gained a second chance in the OU community, as it has been retyped to Psychic / Fairy, giving it a fantastic x4 resistance to Fighting, an immunity to Dragon, and a neutrality to Dark, most notably Pursuit. Given that Gardevoir's stats aren't horrible due to its above average Special Defense and Special Attack, Gardevoir might actually see some use in OU. It's support movepool is anything but sparse, containing gems like Will-O-Wisp, Destiny Bond, Encore, Memento, Dual Screens, Thunder Wave, Trick Room, Toxic, Sunny Day, and Rain Dance. even Hypnosis could be used, despite the shaky accuracy. But an offensive/tankish set can also be worthwhile, as base 125 Special Attack is nothing to scoff at. With moves like Shadow Ball, Psyshock, and Focus Blast, Gardevoir can take up the normal role of CM sweeper, or can set itself apart by using Dazzling Gleam, which is arguably better than Psychic as far as coverage goes. Mega Gardevoir can also be useful for more offensive sets, as its speed is increased to 100, and its Special Attack goes up drastically to 175, far surpassing Gardevoir with Life Orb. However, realistically it will see little use, as other Mega Pokémon like Alakazam, Charizard, and Lucario will find themselves on more teams. That doesn't mean that Gardevoir won't be viable, as it may still have the tools it needs to succeed in the OU tier.

Possible Sets

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect / Toxic / Encore / Taunt

This set aims to take advantage of Gardevoir's great Special Defense as well as its stellar typing. It takes only 1/4 damage from Fighting attacks, and loses its weakness to Dark and Bug moves thanks to its new Fairy typing. Will-O-Wisp is a great answer to physical attackers thanks to its buffed Accuracy of 85 in this generation, as it cuts the Attack in half of those Pokémon that might want to switch into Gardevoir, and gives it a way to cripple the Dragons whose Outrages/Dragon Claws Gardevoir can absorb. Moonblast acts as a STAB move, hitting the Fighting and Dragon types it will switch into super effectively. It can also be passed to other teammates, though base 68 HP isn't ideal for Wish passing. Unfortunately, this is Gardevoir's only means of recovery, so Protect is the bets move to use in the last slot, though other support options are fine, such as the ones listed above. Each of them has their uses. Trace is a really cool ability for a defensive Pokémon, as it can Trace Heatran's Flash Fire (Heatran will be huge this gen, mark my words), Reuniclus's Magic Guard (not useful to the average team, but Encore can really help stall teams finally beat this stupid fetus bear!), Gyarados's Intimidate, and many others.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 76 HP / 4 SDef / 176 Spd
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock / Shadow Ball / Substitute

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind / Taunt
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

If defensive sets aren't your cup of tea, then don't fret! Gardevoir has more than enough Special Attack to function as an effective user of Calm Mind. With the given EVs, Gardevoir can outspeed Adamant Breloom (though I have a feeling it will become less relevant in the coming generation), and the rest is placed in bulk and Special Attack. Moonblast and Focus Blast provide perfect neutral coverage aside from a few dual typed Ghosts like Gengar and Aegislash. That's why Shadow Ball is the preferred choice for the final slot, though Hidden Power Ice gives it better super effective coverage. Substitute can also be used, as it Protects Gardevoir from status and revenge killing, while simultaneously easing prediction. Mega Gardevoir plays very similarly, the only difference is that it uses max speed. It has much higher Special Attack, and though it misses out on Leftovers recovery, it is fast and strong enough to not care.

Checks and Counters
The first and greatest problem that Gardevoir will face in OU is Aegislash. It has STAB Shadow Sneak coming off base 150 Attack, meaning it can easily 2HKO Gardevoir if it isn't behind a Substitute. Gardevoir will need to burn it with Will-O-Wisp if it wants to live, but even when burned, a +2 Shadow Sneak can 2HKO. In fact, Ghost types in general can be problematic for Gardevoir, as it isn't as fast as it would like to be, meaning that Gengar can still do a ton of damage to Gardevoir even if it is fully invested in bulk. The second big problem for Gardeoir is competition, and a lot of it is unknown! We have no idea what will be good or what won't in the coming generation, but its safe to assume there will be many viable Fairy types to play the defensive role, and many special attacker that will take the offensive role. Still, I think that Gardevoir will be at least viable in Gen VI. What do you think?

Last edited:
The only thing that makes Gardevoir OU worthy is that dress.
----
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see too much of a merit in using regular CM Gardevoir when Mega CM Gardevoir exists.
Leftovers and Trace are probably better suited for more defensively oriented sets.
Also for that first set I'd probably throw some of those SDef EVs into Def. Base 65 Defense is pretty fail and having to always depend on WoW is a little dangerous. Plus it'll cushion moves even better once the physical attack is burned!

Gardevoir will only be weak to what now, Poison and Steel? Having Dragon and Fighting moves be essentially useless against you is not to be underestimated with said stats and movepool. Highly likely to supersede Blissey and Jirachi as many people's go-to special sponges, being able to actually attack back. MegaGardevoir will likely be overlooked like you mentioned for other Megamon (depending on banning), but yeah, Gardevoir likely has a spot in OU this time.

Moonblast does 95/100%/chance to lower sp attack, Dazzling Gleam does 80/100% does it cause flinch or something? Also, Hyper Voice (after December)?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Moonblast is better, but I can't find any confirmation about when or how it learns it, so I hadn't added it to the sets. But I'll change that now.

Doesn't Dazzling Gleam have 80 BP with no added affect? I can't see how it is better than Moonblast tbh.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I don't see why Gardevoir would invest in Max Special Defense, considering its base Physical Defense stat is paltry and Fairy type's resistances are primarily physical. Not to mention, Gardevoir's Special Defense is pretty stellar as is.

Gardevoir (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moon Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Wish
- Protect

Gardevoir is unique in that it's the only Fairy-type that can learn Will-O-Wisp, so that should be enough to distinguish it from Fairies like Sylveon. Trace is nifty as well, allowing it to switch into things like Dragon Dance Gyarados with relative ease.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Highly likely to supersede Blissey and Jirachi as many people's go-to special sponges, being able to actually attack back.
As much as I love Gardevoir, there's no way she is ever going to fill Blissey's role of special sponge. Her newly improved typing is a huge bonus, but 68 HP vs 255 HP is just no contest, Gardevoir's low HP holds her back from being able to take repeated special hits. Even with 252/252+ defense, her physical defense is nearly identical to a 4/252+ Blissey. Her Mega does nothing to fix her awful physical defense and base 100 speed leaves her easily revenged, so I personally don't see much use for her Mega-evo (not to mention Pixilate is nearly worthless).

However I've used her a lot in NU this gen and she's a great choice, Gardevoir has tons of utility (including WoW which is huge) and hits very hard. Gardevoir will likely have a solid niche as a Dragon counter with her new typing, and will have a many more opportunities to switch in. Trace still works very well in combination to check specific threats like Heatran, and combines well with a Choice Scarf, which is my favorite set. I'm curious to see how viable she will be... at the very least, I'm incredibly happy to know she will be moving on up out of NU!

Last edited:
As much as I love Gardevoir, there's no way she is ever going to fill Blissey's role of special sponge. Her newly improved typing is a huge bonus, but 68 HP vs 255 HP is just no contest, Gardevoir's low HP holds her back from being able to take repeated special hits. Even with 252/252+ defense, her physical defense is nearly identical to a 4/252+ Blissey. Her Mega does nothing to fix her awful physical defense and base 100 speed leaves her easily revenged, so I personally don't see much use for her Mega-evo (not to mention Pixilate is nearly worthless).

However I've used her a lot in NU this gen and she's a great choice, Gardevoir has tons of utility (including WoW which is huge) and hits very hard. Gardevoir will likely have a solid niche as a Dragon counter with her new typing, and will have a many more opportunities to switch in. Trace still works very well in combination to check specific threats like Heatran, and combines well with a Choice Scarf, which is my favorite set. I'm curious to see how viable she will be... at the very least, I'm incredibly happy to know she will be moving on up out of NU!
I'm not questioning Blissey's raw potency of her combined HP and SpD, but in the new metagame that I'm referring to, she will be of far more use being able to actually attack things and, again, nullifying Dragon and, effectively, Fighting moves. Her options are much much greater than Blissey's.

My point is if you were using Blissey or Jirachi solely to eat Draco Meteors, than congratulations, you've found your new mon. And she's prettier too! :D

Unfortunately, I don't think Gardevoir has any business switching in on non-choiced Heatran. Heatran resists both her STABs, outspeeds and threatens back with a powerful Flash Cannon (which it actually has reason to run now).

Really is a shame about Pixillate. Mega Gardevoir has literally NO reason to run a Normal-move outside of some ill-fated Hyper Beam shenanigans.

EDIT: Wow, where did I get the idea that Heatran had 90 Speed o.O

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Unfortunately, I don't think Gardevoir has any business switching in on non-choiced Heatran. Heatran resists both her STABs, outspeeds and threatens back with a powerful Flash Cannon (which it actually has reason to run now).

Really is a shame about Pixillate. Mega Gardevoir has literally NO reason to run a Normal-move outside of some ill-fated Hyper Beam shenanigans.
Offensive Gardevoir can switch into Heatran, tank Earth Power or HP Ice if it predicts the switch, and then threaten it with Focus Blast or set up on it. Yes, it fears Flash Cannon, but we don't know that Heatran will run it on the standard offensive set (though I agree it might). If Heatran lacks Flash Cannon, a SDef set can PP stall it with Wish + Protect. I still think it's a decent switch-in.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

Heatran does not outspeed (77 vs 80), and she has Focus Blast to hit Heatran with. Flash Cannon is the only move that Gardevoir has to fear from Heatran, although I certainly agree that Heatran will be running that this gen.

Edit: actually Focus Miss is only (74.92 - 88.54%) against Heatran while Flash Cannon is (84.17 - 99.28%) against Gardevoir, so it's a dicey matchup unless Heatran is choiced.

Last edited:
MegaGardevoir pretty much puts up a straight up stop to a TON of Fighting-Type threats such as Terrakion, Breloom and Lucario. Check it (It's 252 HP/Def with Bold Nature):
  • 252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 153-181 (45 - 53.23%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 208-246 (61.17 - 72.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    **You can then follow it up with WoW, to avoid the 2HKO. If Lucario has 0 boosts then Gardevoir easily finishes Lucario**
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 30-35 (8.82 - 10.29%) -- 9HKO at best
Gardevoir's ability to switch in freely on Dragon-Types is also a HUGE plus.
Since when does absolute stop mean getting 2hko'ed by threats 90% of the time with SR down lol

Two of the examples you gave:
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gardevoir: 153-181 (45 - 53.23%) -- 93.36% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gardevoir: 225-270 (66.17 - 79.41%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Doing 61% min before you attack should not be taken lightly. You are going to be trying really hard to stay above that health, and that is if Luke does min damage

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gardevoir: 208-246 (61.17 - 72.35%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

And this isn't taking into account Lucario can run Bullet Punch viably:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gardevoir: 312-369 (91.76 - 108.52%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

or be running Borked MegaLucario that will be running adaptability SD - Bullet Punch - Close Combat - Crunch

Another Example:
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gardevoir: 174-205 (51.17 - 60.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah the best Fight-types in OU all 2HKO it? Full stop yeah right

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)