Gardevoir

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The past princess of NU and target to doubtful art on the past has been given new tools as well in the form of Mega Evolution, Fairy-typing, and new attacks.

Proposed Sets
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ground
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ground / Moonblast / Taunt
- Protect

This is a maximum power set. Main spread STAB attack thanks to Pixelate is Hyper Voice, which, basically, wrecks shit. Moonblast can be used to get around pesky Wide Guard and get rid of Hitmontop or Machamp. Focus Blast is there to deal with Heatran and Aggron (and other Steel-types), while Shadow Ball can be used to hit Dusknoir and Dusclops, amongst other ghosts, slightly harder. Taunt is generally a better option, as it can shut down most Trick Room setters and support Pokémon. Keep in mind that Gardevoir is quite frail, though, you could use it on a slower, bulkier team with a spread able to take more hits.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Taunt
- Trick
- Protect / Dazzling Gleam

This is a bulkier set, meant to cripple defensive or Trick Room Pokémon or generally cripple anything that's fucked by a Choice Scarf. It's initial speed allows it to threaten several Pokémon with spread STAB of choice, Dazzling Gleam, or more powerful Moonblast to get around Wide Guard; while Trick or a fast Taunt will help your team loads. This set will also make enemies think you might be running Mega Gardevoir instead of another Mega.

Last edited:
I'd just like to throw out my opinion regarding Gardevoir as I've had some experience playing with her. First of all, your Mega Garde moveset is whack. Despite the latter's nice coverage, Psyshock far outperforms Focus Blast, hitting special walls, fighting-types (including those pesky Hitmontop) and poison-types for shittons of damage, not to mention it's more accurate and just as powerful with STAB. HP Ground definitely deserves a mention because it SLAMS THE TRAN, a lot more reliably than focus blast. There is no real need to run Shadow Ball, Hyper Voice hits them just as hard. Also, the only thing I can see Moonblast doing is hitting Wide Guard Scrafty. I think the set should look like this:
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast/HP Ground/Taunt
-Protect

The Scarf set looks fine, although I think Moonblast is always a better choice due to the difference in power. (Also maybe slash Protect with something because Scarf)

Here's the thing with Mega Waifu- she is, in some ways, a Turbo Tran. She's less bulky and more powerful, but they have one important similarity- if you take out your opponent's checks, they will get wrecked. Her sheer strength means that everhthing but bulky resists live in fear of Hyper Voice. If played badly, she will die early on to a Scizor or a Talonflame of something. If you play smart, then her absurd SpA and lack of hard counters make her the best lategame sweeper there is.

Although I don't have quite as much experience with Scarf Garde, I've played with her enough to know that Trick is, indeed, her greatest weapon. However, holding onto the scarf to outspeed something crucial can also be a very good idea.

Sorry for any typos, I actually wrote this whole thing out on mobile >.<

I agree with MegaVoir being scary as hell late game. It's not as centralizing as CharY, but it's got comparable power levels, and STAB on all moves is pretty scary.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Always Modest Moonblast for me on Choice Scarf.
252+ SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 306-362 (101.3 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 192-228 (63.5 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 380-450 (106.1 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 236-282 (65.9 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 306-360 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 192-228 (63.1 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 360-426 (111.4 - 131.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 228-270 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 396-468 (118.5 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Gardevoir Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 244-292 (73 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dazzling Gleam is just a bad idea on the scarf set. The whole point of the set is to "snipe" Dragon- and Fighting-types — to surprise OHKO them. also trickscarf, but mostly the snipe factor. TOTEM pretty much addressed the problem with DG in the above post.

The reason why I like Gardevoir is how unpredictable it is. It's MEvo set is a powerful wallbreaker, and the scarf set can take out problematic fast mons for teammates whilst being immune to EQ.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dazzling Gleam can be run alongside Moonblast instead of Protect, as a spread attack is useful sometimes to pick off an opposing Pokemon whilst doing damage to the other. However, as others have said, it should never replace Moonblast.

I can only see running both Dazzling Gleam and moonblast on ScarfVoir tbh. You have Hyper Voice as Mega and if you're not going Mega or Scarf, or Trick Room (for some reason lol), then idk what you're doing with Voir.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can only see running both Dazzling Gleam and moonblast on ScarfVoir tbh. You have Hyper Voice as Mega and if you're not going Mega or Scarf, or Trick Room (for some reason lol), then idk what you're doing with Voir.
I was referring to the Scarf set - Mega form should definitely not run Dazzling Geam, let alone Dazzling Gleam + Moonblast

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The Scarf set should be running Telepathy; Trace randomly copies one of the two opponent's abilities, making it nowhere near as reliable.

Darkmalice

Level 3
The Scarf set should be running Telepathy; Trace randomly copies one of the two opponent's abilities, making it nowhere near as reliable.
The choice should depend on your team. Trace is rarely going to backfire as Pokemon with bad abilites are never seen, but it is somewhat luckbased. Telepathy's usefuleness is dependent on your team - if your team doesn't have any moves that hit all the Pokemon on the field, it is useless, so Trace would be more likely to be useful. I've had some good Trace moments using Gard - switching it into Gastrodon, copying Storm Drain, and redirecting its Scald. And we can't forget the ever-common Intimidate.

Punchshroom

The choice should depend on your team. Trace is rarely going to backfire as Pokemon with bad abilites are never seen, but it is somewhat luckbased. Telepathy's usefuleness is dependent on your team - if your team doesn't have any moves that hit all the Pokemon on the field, it is useless, so Trace would be more likely to be useful. I've had some good Trace moments using Gard - switching it into Gastrodon, copying Storm Drain, and redirecting its Scald. And we can't forget the ever-common Intimidate.
Trace is more situational in Doubles since you cannot choose the target you'd Trace, meaning the Gastrodon could still potentially Scald you, or the Landorus-T won't be weakened, Heatran Heat Waves you, etc. Unless you have absolutely no self-damaging spread moves on your team, you can't go wrong with Telepathy.

Trace is more situational in Doubles since you cannot choose the target you'd Trace, meaning the Gastrodon could still potentially Scald you, or the Landorus-T won't be weakened, Heatran Heat Waves you, etc. Unless you have absolutely no self-damaging spread moves on your team, you can't go wrong with Telepathy.
If you don't run any pokemon with earthquake, surf, discharge etc. though there is literally no point in running telepathy while trace still could get you lucky.

Punchshroom

If you don't run any pokemon with earthquake, surf, discharge etc. though there is literally no point in running telepathy while trace still could get you lucky.
This was basically what I just said.

Gardevoir has gotten a massive buff in the form of it's mega evolution. The sets shown currently seem to be the standard sets, but don't forget Gardevoir has a massive movepool with lots of great moves. Will-O-Wisp is a move I have run sometimes in the third slot of the mega waifu set- physical attackes that want to prey on Gardevoir's weak physical defense are punished. Destiny Bond is a useful move on the scarf set so Gardevoir can take out an enemy it cannot OHKO, if Gard is about to die anyway. Agreeing that Telepathy would be more useful if you had partner hitting spread moves, but outside of earthquake, all of them are pretty rare, and thus I feel trace is superior for general purposes. Trace can give you lots of good abilities including intimidate, swift swim, and competitive.

I've been running a Psyshock / Hyper Voice / Trick Room / Helping Hand set in a dual-Fairy core with Sylveon who has the same moves (but Protect > Trick Room) and Helping Hand Hyper Voice is so freaking powerful it isn't even funny:

252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Helping Hand Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It comes so close to OHKOing something with more bulk than Blissey.

I'd just like to throw out my opinion regarding Gardevoir as I've had some experience playing with her. First of all, your Mega Garde moveset is whack. Despite the latter's nice coverage, Psyshock far outperforms Focus Blast, hitting special walls, fighting-types (including those pesky Hitmontop) and poison-types for shittons of damage, not to mention it's more accurate and just as powerful with STAB. HP Ground definitely deserves a mention because it SLAMS THE TRAN, a lot more reliably than focus blast. There is no real need to run Shadow Ball, Hyper Voice hits them just as hard. Also, the only thing I can see Moonblast doing is hitting Wide Guard Scrafty. I think the set should look like this:
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast/HP Ground/Taunt
-Protect

The Scarf set looks fine, although I think Moonblast is always a better choice due to the difference in power. (Also maybe slash Protect with something because Scarf)

Here's the thing with Mega Waifu- she is, in some ways, a Turbo Tran. She's less bulky and more powerful, but they have one important similarity- if you take out your opponent's checks, they will get wrecked. Her sheer strength means that everhthing but bulky resists live in fear of Hyper Voice. If played badly, she will die early on to a Scizor or a Talonflame of something. If you play smart, then her absurd SpA and lack of hard counters make her the best lategame sweeper there is.

Although I don't have quite as much experience with Scarf Garde, I've played with her enough to know that Trick is, indeed, her greatest weapon. However, holding onto the scarf to outspeed something crucial can also be a very good idea.

Sorry for any typos, I actually wrote this whole thing out on mobile >.<
Hey, how does Gardevoir learn Hyper Voice in Gen VI?

You should at least slash Destiny Bond on the Scarf set, it has some occasional uses.

Another powerful option on Megardy is Imprison, you can easily get rid of Protect and some potentially disturbing moves such as Trick Room in the process.

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You should at least slash Destiny Bond on the Scarf set, it has some occasional uses.

Another powerful option on Megardy is Imprison, you can easily get rid of Protect and some potentially disturbing moves such as Trick Room in the process.
the bad thing about imprisoning tr is that you yourself run tr. this would limit garde to mono attacking or not running protect.
both severely limit its effectiveness imo

I've run almost a dozen Gardevoir sets, in VGC, UU, OU, even in Uber. I've run Mega and Scarf, and even a leftovers set based on Gen 4 Weather-Stopper. Here's all the tips I can give to any new person looking into her

in VGC-- She's a powerful Fairy-Type user, with 3 sets that really work. Her Mega and Scarf sets have been effective covered by my phenomenal colleagues in previous posts,
However, the main part of any set is the partner she uses. Look into synergy as well as the set.

I love the scarf set a lot (and I prefer Moonblast), but it's predictable, and requires switching to deal with new threats, exposing your other pokemon to good plays and inevitably weakening.

This set works really well

Defensive Modest
Gardevoir @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 28 SpAtt / 132 SpDef / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk/30 SpAtt (If running HP Grass)
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Pulse
- Psyshock/HP Grass/Destiny Bond
- Protect

I love this set alongside Salamence, I used to like Band or Scarf, but the ability to switch between Rock Slide and Earthquake just needed to be available. The synergy is gorgeous, especially with Intimidate giving Garde a little more of a Defense boost, and has few common resistances. T-tar, opposing Dragons, Scrafty and Charizard X suffer at the hands of Garde, while Mega-Mawile, Talonflame, and Amoongus look warily at Sale Rotom-W can be tricky, and speed can be invested to outdo him, but most likely, your Garchomp will be the target, where Heal Pulse can effectively neutralize a good amount of the damage.

EV'S AND WHY
This set is as effective with 252 Speed, and Special Attack (in a different way of course,) but then priority tends to wipe out Gardevoir before she can do much, specifically with the name Talonflame

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 159-187 (90.8 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Gardevoir: 147-174 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so this set has 52 as the minimum defense. Any less has a chance to OHKO.

With this she also takes Chomp's Earthquake pretty well, Aerodactyl, Mega-K and Mega-Maw's Sucker Punch, and even Play Rough from Sitrus Berry Azumarill, and has enough natural bulk to sponge Charizard Y Heat Wave and Rotom-W

However, look out for Charizard X
252 Atk Tough Claws Jolly Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Gardevoir: 180-213 (102.8 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 212 Def Gardevoir: 147-174 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

212 Defense is the minimum to tank a hit from him.
However, Chomp should take care of that, so don't worry too much.

48 speed is minimum to speed creep Rotom-W

Mega-Gengar's Sludge Bomb is a problem
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gardevoir: 320-378 (94.1 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Gardevoir: 146-174 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

you'd need 156 SpDef to sponge it

However, if you're playing the odds, you have a 6.3% with as low as 132
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 132 SpD Gardevoir: 150-176 (85.7 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
-- which is what I did, giving me 28 Special attack. You can take out SpAtt and invest them in Defense or Speed, or SpDef, whatever you choose.

MOVESLOTS
Dazzling Gleam hits fairy type on both opponents, weakening them both, blah blah blah, it should be obvious. This isn't the scarf set, we aren't sniping dragons and fighting types, this is the defensive set, SCRAFTY DOESN'T HAVE WIDE GUARD, so you don't need to worry about that. In VGC, only Doublade/Aegislash, Aerodactyl, Machamp, Mr. Mime, Mantine, Throh, Alomamola, Golem, Hariyama, Mienshao and Conkeldurr get it, and of those, only the underlined ones are seen, and the italicized ones are likely to have it.

But just in case, Psyshock takes out those pesky specially defensive pokemon who can sponge DG and Mence, or use Wide guard (since they seem to be fighting types mostly)

Heal Pulse is for obvious reasons. Remember, Defensive Gardevoir is designed as support and pressure, not as the killer.

HP Grass puts serious pressure on Rotom-W, and Azumarill, otherwise troublesome for GardeMence, and for the occasional Defensive Ground Type that may take EQ hits pretty well-- I'm looking at you Rhydon
Psyshock is stated above, and Destiny bond changes the way your opponent will attack next turn, giving you a free heal pulse, or DG. Destiny Bond can be used over Protect, but that's your choice.

Problem Pokemon
The only pokemon that constantly seems to get in my way is Greninja. Protean just messes up every plan, and he's too fast and strong to predict. Make sure your 3rd and 4th pokemon can take care of him.

Mega-Venusaur, with his insane bulk, is also hard to deal with. Psyshock and Earthquake together do pretty well, but with Defense investment, he needs to hit both, and his partner can have an open slot to hit in the turs you're double focusing, especially if he protect-predicts.

Ferrothorn, though uncommon due to the fire-types rampant in the tier, can also be troublesome. He laughs off DG, Psyshock, and HP Grass. You'll need a fighting type or a fire type (prefered) in your pocket to deal with him if you see him in team preview.

Scizor also proved to be a problem with his Technician bullet punch. Deal with him the same way you deal with ferrothorn.

Rotom-Heat also tends to give me trouble, with full speed Garde can never outspeed, and T-wave cripples Gardevoir for when she's trying to help.

Mega-Gyarados can be troublesome at first, as can Aegislash, Mega-Aggron and Mega-Medicham, but both are taken down fairly quickly with some planning and proper teammates.

EDIT: All calcs were originally done on lvl 100, and then were recalculated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)