1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gator Time!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Texas Cloverleaf, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

One of the old time starters from the GSC era has gone underrated by many in RU for a long time, that being Feraligatr. The strength it wields after a Swords Dance was part of what prompted me to create this team, a team that has been very successful on the ladder and that I used throughout this round to make the RU council. Like most teams, it does have a few flaws and it these flaws that I look to address from here.

Team Building Process (open)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Sceptile has been my favourite starter for a long time, and after having discovered its power in RU some weeks previous I naturally plopped him onto the next team I made. It was at this point that Feraligatr was inserted, the Swords Dance set chosen to complement Sceptile's speed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I had also recently discovered the awesome abilities of Manectric, and realized how easily it could run through the tier as a a Choice Scarfed attacker. I then added Aggron as a defensive backbone, as well as a brutal attacker with its SubPunch set.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    At this point I decided a FWG core would be beneficial to cover most opponents offensively and defensively. From there the natural choice was Entei, being almost the only viable Fire-type in the tier.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I struggled here for a long time, searching for something that would give me Stealth Rocks without compromising the team and I eventually setled on TrickScarf Uxie, which gave me momentum, Stealth Rock and death fodder, all proving crucial to me.

[​IMG]
    Uxie @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Trick
    - Thunder Wave
    - U-turn

Why these moves?

-Stealth Rock: Critical for any team, especially offensive ones, helps wear down opponents for my sweepers
    -Trick: Allows me a way to cripple opposing stall teams as well as dangerous threats, helps with scouting
    -Thunder Wave: Supports Feraligatr and Aggron, granting them further set up time
    -U-Turn: Allows for scouting, ensures Uxie doesn't become set up fodder
    -EVs: Gives Uxie fairly good bulk, allows it to outspeed most Pokemon with or without a Scarf

What does she do for my team?

Despite being the last member chosen for my team, Uxie serves a critical role in laying the playing field for the rest of the team. Being an offensive team, each of her moves are tailored to suit that, Rocks and paralysis aiding my sweepers, Trick and U-Turn being beneficial in removing key opposing threats, such as crippling Cofagrigus. After the first couple of turns, Uxie has usually fulfilled her role for the match and in doing so takes on another one, that of the free switch. Under the fairly common scenario where I don't want my preferred Pokemon to come into an attack, Uxie provides that buffer where it can either sacrifice itself or U-Turn away, which is critical in allowing me to retain momentum, which I almost never lose from that point on.

[​IMG]
    Aggron (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rock Head
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Head Smash
    - Focus Punch
    - Magnet Rise

Why these moves?

-Substitute: Buffers Aggron against status, especially burn, allows it to turn Pokemon such as Swellow and Spiritomb into set-up fodder, crucial for Focus Punch
    -Head Smash: See picture. Brutally powerful with no drawbacks besides its accuracy
    -Focus Punch: Excellent coverage alongside Head Smash, hits things like Omastar and Rhydon
    -Magnet Rise: Turns Gligar and Claydol into fodder, can beat Claydol and Rhydon one-on-one with this move
    -EVs: Outspeeds most Claydol, Qwilfish, Gligar

What does it do for my team?

Aggron is a fucking boss. Incredibly powerful even without investment, it breaks through opponents very well. On this team it absorbs many Rock- and Normal-type attacks aimed at the team, with its Steel-typing taking these, which prove to be crucial resists for my team. As such it often gains frequent set up opportunity, from which the opponent suffers from. It also synergizes well with Sceptile and Feraligatr, those being able to come in on the Ground- and Fire-types that can force Aggron out and continuing the momentum from there.

[​IMG]
    Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Stone Edge
    - Toxic

Why these moves?

-First three: Go read the analysis. Also provides some pretty crucial priority that lets me take on things like Accelgor and Galvantula without getting ass raped.
    -Toxic: Because Will-O-Wisp is a douchebag. Additionally, bulky water switch ins are pretty obvious the first time Entei comes out and hitting that Omastar or Slowking can be pretty crucial.

Entei doesn't see a whole lot of action late-game due to my lack of a spinner, but is usually my go to guy in the middle when I'm still trying to figure out my opponents team and to start blowing holes in it. Thanks to its great bulk I can bring it in pretty easily and start weakening potential checks for Feraligatr and Sceptile by firing off Flare Blitzes. Its also my first check to opposing Fire-types, Moltres and itself, absorbing their attacks before either forcing them out or letting a teammate take them on. It also it a great switch in to Cofagrigus, Dusknoir and Spiritomb as it absorbs the burn attacks my team doesn't particularly like. In that vein its also the Pokemon that usually is my go to status absorber since Extremespeed means no status really cripples it.

[​IMG]
    Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Why these moves?

-Giga Drain: My primary STAB option, hits a lot of RU neurally, has good power and recovers of Life orb and hazard recoil
    -Leaf Storm: My nuke attack, almost always KOs something when I use it, usually to remove something like Cofagrigus before it can start to set
    -Focus Blast: Necessary to hit Fire-types and especially Steel-types neutrally, basically covers things that resist grass
    -Hidden Power Ice: Ice>Rock because I didn't like missing out on Grass-type coverage for the sake of hitting Fire-types, especially when supporting Feraligatr

What does he do for my team?

Sceptile was initially who the team was meant to focus on but ended up supporting Feraligatr by taking on Grass-types and the like that could wall it. Sceptile is really my catch all Pokemon, with very few Pokemon that can take it on without significant risk. It takes out Ground-types as well, which directly supports Manectric who then runs rampant over my opponent. Sceptile is also a very important check to Pokemon that outspeed the rest of my team, such as Archeops, tying with other Sceptile, but most importantly Durant, who if it manages to get in for free (rare) will hurt something.

[​IMG]
    Feraligatr (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Frustration

Why these moves?

-Swords Dance: Doubles Gator's attack, lets it break through things like Cofag and BU Gallade
    -Waterfall: Awesome STAB attack, hits things very hard
    -Aqua Jet: Especially alongside this which allows Gatr to OHKO faster mons and combo with Waterfall for a strong one-two punch
    -Frustration: Excellent coverage alongside Water, Crunch is situation, Ice Punch unnecessary imo
    -EVs: 108 Speed ties neutral base 60s, rest gives it good bulk

Feraligatr was never meant to be the star of the show, I just wanted it to prove itself based off of what I had heard about it. As I laddered I notice more and more frequently that the Pokemon that would finish off the game was Feraligatr and that little could stop it once it got going. Each Pokemon on the team has some way to put pressure on Gatr's checks, which making cleaning up not particularly difficult. Being a balanced player the biggest draw Feraligatr gave me was its bulk, which allows it to set up with ease, to survive strong hits and keep on fighting. There have been so many times where its tanked an attack, Waterfalled the opposition, picked them off with Aqua Jet and continued its sweep. Its the kind of bulk that lets it switch into Gallade on the Bulk Up, Swords Dance on the Drain Punch and KO with Waterfall. I couldn't ask for anything better from Gator Time.

[​IMG]
    Manectric (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Switcheroo
    - Thunderbolt / Hidden power [Grass]

Why these moves?

-Volt Switch: A powerful move in its own right, Manectric will often force switched which can then be easily taken advantage of by bringing in the appropriate attacker to the switch in. Also forms a VoltTurn core with Uxie.
    -Overheat: Excellent coverage move, allows Manectric to revenge or KO Electric resists, including Steelix and especially Lilligant.
    -Switcheroo: A second combat to stall, crippling them, it is also useful if I need Manectric to utilise diversity in that particular match.
    - Thunderbolt / Hidden power [Grass]: I used Hidden Power Grass for the longest time intending to catch Quagsires. I think I saw one. It was only ever used as a cleaning move on rare occasion so I brought back Thunderbolt to allow Manectric a stronger STAB and to enable it to sweep through weakened teams.

What does he do for the team?

Although Feraligatr became the MVP, Manectric was the unsung hero of the team, being absolutely crucial in solidifying me against opposing threats. Electric has been a brilliant attacking type since Krookodile and Manectric is amazing in its role at abusing it. With its already excellent Speed being boosted further, Manectric provides me with checks to boosting sweepers such as Lilligant, Weather boosted POkemon such as Kabutops and Shell Smashers, being my primary check against Omastar. With the lack of Ground-types in RU, Volt Switch is a huge boon, always threatening an opponent and almost always maintaining momentum for me. It can also switch in on opposing Manectric and Galvantula, pick up a special attack boost from Lightningrod and proceed to rape even more face.

This team has been a lot of fun to use, and with the conclusion of the round it seems appropriate to reveal it in full. I look forward to incoming rates, as this team does feel like it could have some minor tweaks that could be ironed out and they can only be helpful. In conclusion, rate, hate, steal, but more importantly have fun, RarelyUsed in the best tier on Smogon imo, and is alway sa treat to play, no matter what is in the tier (except AlakaSableye, that shit was gay).

Export (open)

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Trick
    - Thunder Wave
    - U-turn

Aggron (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rock Head
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Head Smash
    - Focus Punch
    - Magnet Rise

Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Flare Blitz
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Stone Edge
    - Toxic

Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Giga Drain
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Feraligatr (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Frustration

- Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Switcheroo
    - Thunderbolt
  2. spuds4ever

spuds4ever

Nice team!

I'm a fan of offense in RU and this team presents it well. I think the main problem with the team is being able to handle counter offense. Very heavy hitters such as specs moltres and choice band durant can be very tough to switch into as one misprediction will spell death but I guess that's a risk all offensive teams must take.

I noticed you had nothing mixed on this team, and seeing as you have no spinner or taunter, stall could force you to switch around a lot and soak up more hazards damage. I would suggest this over manetric:

Electivire @life orb/leftovers
    Motor drive
    EVs: 252 spe, 180 atk, 76 sp. atk
    Hasty (+spe, -def)
    -Wild Charge
    -Volt Switch
    -Ice Punch
    -Flamethrower

Synergy wise, electivire stands in perfectly for manetric. This would basically accomplish the task of surprising walls/softening them up or forcing some more switches. Volt switch lets him keep momentum for the inevitable switches he'll be forcing like manetric. Flame thrower hits tough walls like ferroseed and steelix hard making him very tough to wall well. You could also use another filler instead of ice punch.

You may feel the pain of losing your only choice scarfer, though, so if that is a problem, you could give sceptile a try with it perhaps.
  3. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Thanks!
    Yeah, they can be difficult to handle. My usual plan of attack if I have to is to sack Uxie the first time and then they often cant come back in until mid-game where I can sack the least useful Pokemon easily.
    That's a very interesting change and I'll definitely try it out. Stall hasn't caused me too much trouble yet thanks to double trick but then again I somehow never played Avira. I am particularly concerned about losing Manectric as a Scarfer simply because of how well it does its job, revenging something like Lilligant is huge and I lose that with Sceptile; but its something to consider if it proves that stall does kick me in the ass.

When i test I'm going to go with Vital Spirit I think to keep a Lilligant check.
  4. complete legitimacy

complete legitimacy Honko's Happy Funtime With Men
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Hey, very nice team you've got here. I'm struggling to find anything to change in it. However, one change that you could test is Choice Band Druddigon over Aggron. I noticed that your team is a bit weak to Trick Room teams. Powerful Trick Room sweepers such as Cofagrigus and Slowking could abuse the free Trick Room provided by Uxie, even when Tricked a Scarf. The great coverage of Trick Room sweepers allow them to power through most Pokemon on your team. The problem lies on that even if the bulkier Pokemon like Entei and Feraligatr can't do much back to both of the aforementioned threats. Thunder Wave from Uxie doesn't hamper these Pokemon at all. Druddigon punishes physical attackers that Aggron used to take on, and hits with similar power. While it compliments the bulky nature of your team well, the main reason to use it is Sucker Punch. Both Cofagrigus and Slowking are weak to Sucker Punch, and Druddigon could take an unboosted hit if need be. However, you do become a lot weaker to opposing Druddigon. Therefore, I suggest running 8 Speed EVs to get the jump on them. If you do decide to go with Electivire, then it can take care of all the threats that Aggron used to beat as well. If not, I would put HP Ice on Manectric.

Summary of Changes (open)
    Choice Band Druddigon > Aggron
    Pros: beats Trick Room
    Cons: lose your own Druddigon switch-in as well as just greater physical bulk

HP Ice on Manectric
    Pros: kills Gligar and can hit Claydol hard
    Cons: have to choose between Volt Switch or Thunderbolt

Sets (open)
    Druddigon (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    - Outrage
    - Superpower
    - Sucker Punch
    - Dragon Claw

- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Switcheroo
  5. DittoCrow

DittoCrow
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner
    Mentor

Hey Texas, really nice team here and congrats on making the council! Feraligatr/Sceptile are the two best offensive Pokemon in RU and they work really well with the rest of your team. I ran a similar offensive team this round with much success, and I think that the only thing holding your team back is Aggron. This is probably because it is so slow and with your EV spread it is not going to help vs Trick Room teams. Something I'll suggest that will help keep the momentum:

Klinklang @ Leftovers
    Trait: Plus
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
    - Shift Gear
    - Gear Grind
    - Return
    - Substitute

Klinklang will help keep the momentum going with its base 90 speed. It also has similar resistances to Aggron and decent defense, maintaining the role of a good pivot. Shift Gear will help Klinklang dent the opposing team with Gear Grind/Return or it can possibly lead to a sweep late-game. Substitute also keeps the theme of setting up on status users such as Spiritomb. Adding HP Fire > Substitute is also an option if you want to lure in Ferroseed since this will allow GATOR TIME to sweep.

Anyways I hope this will do better than Aggron. Hope I helped and good luck with the team!
  6. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh

Bumping for further suggestions Klinklang will be interesting.
  7. Double01

Double01 Hate it or love it the under dog's on top

I personally would keep aggron over klinklang because aggron has instant power and makes for an excellent wall breaker. It does pratically everything klinklang does and it can beat certain pokemon 1 on 1 such claydol and ferroseed. Klinklang does bring more speed and a deadly set up sweeper but I feel your team already has enough speed from entei and sceptile.

Those are just my 2 cents on the topic and it would be interesting to hear others.
  8. spuds4ever

spuds4ever

I agree. Aggron killind momentum isn't really an issue when it smashes pretty much every switch-in anyway. Plus he's about a billion times cooler than the gears :P
  9. DittoCrow

DittoCrow
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner
    Mentor

I would change Aggron to CB then. Maybe the set is holding you back. The excellent immediate damage will help your other Pokemon clean up too since Aggron will considerably weaken almost every Pokemon.
  10. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea since I can run the same ev spread anyway.
    All I really lose out on it smashing Omastar and Linoone when they try to set up (hi shake!) and allowing more set up opportunities in general.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)