ORAS OU Gatrade -an ou team featuring a Feralaigtr core

Image by Haley L. McFarlane
Hello, welcome to my new ou team biased around a grass/fire/water core of th newly released sheer force feraliagatr, old favorite smogon bird, talonflame and finally, ou's newest speed freak, mega-spectile. The team aims to best utilities this core for grater advantage over the opponent.

Team building process

starting off with the core, it was time to decide which set each one would take. I felt with feraligatr, a swords dance set would be best with a jolly nature to out speed base 70 pokemon, with ease, including offensive heatran. For talonflame it felt like the standard swords dance set would fit in nicecly and a n alll out attacking set for mega sceptile.

Naturally I needed an anti hazard removal service for the team and one of the best in the bussiness is latios, unfortunately latios also brings hi share of cons, being weak to dark, bug, ICE, dragon, ghost, is a huge pain at times.

I wanted a sturdy steel to deal with psky fairy's and other threats, heatran fittd the bill for his ability to not only forfill this role, but many others, as a fire type heatran can help take the pressure off his team make talonflame from roasting steel types all the time and take dragon and ice type attacks aimed at my 2 dragon pokemon, while talon and latios can take a hit away from him in the form of erathquake and earthpower.

In comes landorus-therian, my bulky defenive wall and setter of the stealth rocks., now with a way to shut down various threats i felt more comfortabl with the team team, but with a few issues involving water weakness and ice between 3 memmember and in spite of a resistances, it quickly felt the synergy of the team was not working and something needed to be changed about with the last three pokemon.

Starmie comes into replace latios, and overall makes for the better hazard setter, being a better check to a few threats and having a better defensive synergy with the team, compliments to a lack of shared weaknesses and a few new shared that is always largely dealt with in mega-sceptile.

I needed a better way of dealing with fairies and still dael with that pesky frrothorn and scizor-Cb is just one of those pokemon who crops up and fitts that bill rather nicely, dropping more weaknesses away that heatran has and adding in new resistances and a weakness that can be covered by the team pretty easily.

With the removal of heatran, it felt like lando-t wasn't the right type of wall for me, I wanted something a bit more mixed to take the odd hit from both sides of the spectrum and something that could set up sr with impunity and give a greater deal of freedom from status and that pokemon is gliscor.

AFter careful consideration, it felt the role of mixed wall is better done by hippowdon, due to his reduced amount of weaknesses and ability to handle certain threats, that little bit more easily than gliscor​
[/hide]

On the advice of enki clefable replaces hippowdon to better protect the team against mega-sebleye and support gatr and talon with healing wish, when weakened.

A pokemon from th relems of obsurity, comes serpeior, probally the first pokemon to turn to on the team to replace, was mega sceptile and serpeior makes a natural replacement with it's insane ability boosted leaf storm, and niche for filling role as m-sceptile and at the same time, as not only his best set, dragon dance feraliagtr makes his way into the team, as it fits better with serperior brekaing stall.

Latios joins the team or it's better typing than starmie and greater offensive presence as a royal of hazards for the team.

I was originally going to use metagross, but scizor offers, something more, fresh and that and it has a lot less shared issues with the team, while being an offenisve nightmare with swords dance.

Gliscor replaces celfabl to deal with that pesky mega-sabeye, just as well as clefable, deal with mega-metagross and deal damage as a more offensive wall breaker for the team.

Now with all the changes, hippowdon makes a return to addd some much needed bulk and sr to the team.

After thinking about what halycon had to say I decided a few additions to the team were in order, i need a defogger for the teama nd i wnatd the mega slot free, so here comes, no so impressive normal scizor to fill the role, implac of impressiv mega scizor. With megaltria taking the role of th teams mega, being able to handle numerous threats, while being a threat it's self​

Now with out Further adue the team

Jolly
Sheer Force
4 hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Waterfall
~Ice Punch
~Dragon Dance
~Crunch

Rawr welcoem dragon dance feraligtar, gatrers best set and the new set of gatrade's feraliagtr/ Dragon dance fraliagtr gives you all the delights of mega-gyarados, minus a few thing's stab, bulk, a little speed and gives you, a harder to revenge, much harder hitting bugger and most importantly a free mega slot, making the aliagter pokemon a fine replacement for gyarados. The set is simple, ice/drak/water gives amazing coverage and all are boosted by Sheer force. Ic punch fas chosen as th team can handle ferrothorn well enough, for gatr to appreciate the better coverage from crunnch and ice punch. The nature is to outspeed magnetric and jolly lobunny without much isses, sheer force boosted attacks make up for the damage difference.

Jolly
Gale wings
80 Hp / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
~Brave Bird
~Roost
~Swords Dance
~Flare Blitz

Talonflame, the second part of my core, is able to act a powerful wall breaker thanks to swords dance and also act as a revenge killer due to that powerful priority stab it has acess to in brave bird. It's ability to revnge threats, break past walls and deal with many thrts to a tam in gneral make him a welcomed edition to the team. The set is a simple swords dancing Talonflame, with duel stab for coverage, roost to heal and sword dance to boost. The eves allow a small amount of bulk, while hitting a negtive number at 50 for wi fi or showdown at level 100 and the nature allows for maium speed to abuse it's other moves, more quickly. Sharp beak is for recoiless extra stab.

Timid
Contrary
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Leaf Storm
~Giga drain
~Dragon Pulse
~Hidden Power Fire
Serpeior takes to the fray with it's stellar, flagship set- Contary to the leaf storm. Leaftstorm is what makes the forgetable serprior, one of those ou pokemon that's really special, as no other viable pokemon in ou can gander a nasty plot and deal damage through a base 130 stab move at the same time. The set is simple enough, leaf sotrm for major boosting damage, which you will need to do any real damage before a boost with any of your moves, dragon pulse for coverage, hidden power to hit steels hard and giga drain to deal damage and heal at the same time after a lead from.

Natural Cure
Timid
Levitate
80 / 252 Spa / 176 Spe

~Earthquake
~Roost
~Hyper voice
~Fire Blast

Altiria Takes the place of Latios, as the role of defogger has been handed down to scizor. Her typing allows her to deal with numerous major threats to the team, including mega gyarados, who poses a real threat to the team, not only this but has a great synergy with the main core of the team. The set is the simple specially attacking set, with earthquake to destroy heatran

Admant
Technician
248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
~Bullet punch
~Roost
~Defog
~U-turn

Regular scizor come back to the main team, wanting another mega and that mega replacing latios as a defog user, scizor in his non mega form, stayed in the form of a sturdy defogger. The st eves allow scizor to hold th fort against physical and special attackers with his reasonable bulk as a non mega, while the moves allow him to abuse his priority, picking off or threatening weakened threats, with u turn to scout out, roost for healing and defog for defog support.

Sand Force
Impish
252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Sdef
~Crunch
~Earthquake
~Stealth Rock
~Slack-Off
Looking for a bulky mixed wall to take a few hits for the team, a decent check counter to a few threats such as m-metagross ect and hippowdon comes back to fit the bill. The natural set is mixed bulk, witht hat hippodown can take a hit and hit abck on threats, not limited to raikou, tyranitar and mega-metagross. The eves allow for the ability to take the odd weak special hit, like hidden power ice and have enough physical bulk to deal wih physical threats and thus has an impish nature to accomidate this physical bulk. The mov set is simple as well, earthquake for stab, stone edg for talon, stealth rock fo stalth rock and slack off for recovery.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- dragon dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- ice punch

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs:252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Notes:None

[/hide]

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Ok, my in-depth analysis left me :[ and I don't have the time for that anymore, so-

1). Hippowdon's ability: Force > Stream. Nothing on your team benefits from it, simple as that. The 6 percent can bring certain 3HKOs to 2HKOs, so...

2) Off EVs for 2 pokes: Gatr and Mega Scept both have 2 extra EVs, with it being 4 instead of 6.

3) Focus Blast > Earthquake. Substitute > Hp Fire. Focus Blast hits the same things that both hidden power fire and earthquake hit together- Heatran, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc and also hits things super effective that you couldn't hit super effectively with your coverage: Empoleon. And after having focus blast to cover steel type switch ins, I recommend changing hp fire to sub, speed tying other mega scepts is actually really important and tying mega beedrill helps also dumping your 6 EVs in attack to 4 in SpD seeing as you don't have a physical attack and changing your nature to timid. All you miss out on hitting is scizors, which tflame walls? badly?

4) What does 56 Speed on Scizor outspeed- I ran it on the speed calc and it hits 180, only notable things that's in that range is 76 speed tar...

5) Since you're running all Hp investments on starmie I suggest running Reflect Type > Psyshock. With hippowdon now running force to alleviate damage on your team, Char Y runs all over ur teams and starmie somewhat alleviates that... providing a solid check that can stall out sun with no crit shenanigans.

And that's all I wrote e.e

Hey there.
A problem I'm seeing on your teams is Mega Sableye.
Mega Sableye totally stops Hippowdon, burns Feraligatr and Scizor, Starmie also cannot hope to do much against him other than hoping for a burn, even considering that, majority of Sableye's defensive teams have an Heal Bell user like Clefable or Chansey with him.
While Talonflame is immune to burns a +2 Brave Bird cannot ohko Sableye, on the other hand Foul Play after a SD boost can and will do so.
Suggestions that may help you against Sableye would be Lum Berry on Feraligatr, or changing Talonflame to a bulk up version, however, these changes make two of your FWG core quite "weak".
This is why I would suggest you to change Hippowdon to a Healing Wish mixed defense Clefable, an ev spread of 252 hp 160 Defense an 96 Sdef+ allows you to take Latios' psyshocks , Specs Keldeo's scalds and Orb Thundurus Thunderbolts, escaping the 2hko, while at the same time, Clefable can scare off Mega Sableye, which is even more useful if you consider that Clefable, to top it off, you gain another great switch in against Latios other than Scizor, who sadly does not have recoveries and sometimes risks the HP Fire.
Healing Wish, while an unconventional choice gives either Feraligatr or Talonflame a second chance at sweeping, while also healing them from any status moves from the likes of Mega Sableye, Rotom-wash, Heatran, Slowbro and so on.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Hope it helped, good luck!

Hey there.
A problem I'm seeing on your teams is Mega Sableye.
Mega Sableye totally stops Hippowdon, burns Feraligatr and Scizor, Starmie also cannot hope to do much against him other than hoping for a burn, even considering that, majority of Sableye's defensive teams have an Heal Bell user like Clefable or Chansey with him.
While Talonflame is immune to burns a +2 Brave Bird cannot ohko Sableye, on the other hand Foul Play after a SD boost can and will do so.
Suggestions that may help you against Sableye would be Lum Berry on Feraligatr, or changing Talonflame to a bulk up version, however, these changes make two of your FWG core quite "weak".
This is why I would suggest you to change Hippowdon to a Healing Wish mixed defense Clefable, an ev spread of 252 hp 160 Defense an 96 Sdef+ allows you to take Latios' psyshocks , Specs Keldeo's scalds and Orb Thundurus Thunderbolts, escaping the 2hko, while at the same time, Clefable can scare off Mega Sableye, which is even more useful if you consider that Clefable, to top it off, you gain another great switch in against Latios other than Scizor, who sadly does not have recoveries and sometimes risks the HP Fire.
Healing Wish, while an unconventional choice gives either Feraligatr or Talonflame a second chance at sweeping, while also healing them from any status moves from the likes of Mega Sableye, Rotom-wash, Heatran, Slowbro and so on.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Hope it helped, good luck!
I actually really like this idea, it does solve quite a few issues, healing wish would work really well as i often find talon and gatr, worse for where shall we say, and sableye does presents it's problems, yes I will implement this change asap.

Edit just one thing, magic gaurd vs unaware, unaware has the advtange of beating calm mind mega saybleye, but suffers from being burnt however and allows clefable to take on a few boosted mons like keldeo that bit easier.

Changes

>>>>>
Enki set

Hidden power fire >>>>>
Focus miss

Last edited:
And what does eq on Sceptile do? e.e
ko's heatran, deals with raikou

getting issues with clefable being so passive also electric type threats amonst other bulky physical attacker tak advanatge of it too easily and th rst of then team then has issues coping.

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
ko's heatran, deals with raikou

getting issues with clefable being so passive also electric type threats amonst other bulky physical attacker tak advanatge of it too easily and th rst of then team then has issues coping.
Focus blast 2HKOes on the switch anyway, and you can very easily predict raikou's hp ice seeing as that's it's only way to hit you

I'd prefer Magic Guard, if Sableye has Calm Mind he does not know Foul Play, making Talonflame's job easier, also very few Mega Sableye's would set up on Clefable, and even if they do they must take a Critical Hit, or a 30% Spatk drop chance into consideration, while magic Guard makes you immune to hazard/sand damage, giving you an easier time against Thundurus and Latios.
Oh, Sceptile has Leaf Blade and Feraligatr Agility on the ETT, I know it's a typo, but watch out, you may regret it on important matches.

Last edited:
I'd prefer Magic Guard, if Sableye has Calm Mind he does not know Foul Play, making Talonflame's job easier, also very few Mega Sableye's would set up on Clefable, and even if they do they must take a Critical Hit, or a 30% Spatk drop chance into consideration, while magic Guard makes you immune to hazard/sand damage, giving you an easier time against Thundurus and Latios.
Oh, Sceptile has Leaf Blade and Feraligatr Agility on the ETT, I know it's a typo, but watch out, you may regret it on important matches.
thanks for that, i hadn't noticed. Yes I think I will be sticking with magic gaurd and i have modified sceptile to it's new set

earthquake>>>>>
subsitute

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
thanks for that, i hadn't noticed. Yes I think I will be sticking with magic gaurd and i have modified sceptile to it's new set

earthquake>>>>>
subsitute
Remember to change the EVs from Atk to SpD or Def and make them 4 not 6... And change 6 on feral to 4 :]
E: where do you get those cute ass sprites :]
E2: I found one e,e

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Another minor nitpick, change the moveset description on mega scept... suggest that it is still your rotom check and VoltTurn spam offensive check (volt switch only but you get what I mean) but but since you no longer have eq nor hp fire, remove mention of those and include mention of focus blast and substitute

Another minor nitpick, change the moveset description on mega scept... suggest that it is still your rotom check and VoltTurn spam offensive check (volt switch only but you get what I mean) but but since you no longer have eq nor hp fire, remove mention of those and include mention of focus blast and substitute
done thanks for the heads up, the eves are simply junk eves that i have on the wi fi version of the team, 4 or 6 doesn't really matter.

I like your core theme, don't change it. Not very experienced so I'm afraid I can't offer you much competitive advice, but I do have a question. Where can I get the moving sprites for future RMTs?

Nice team, glad someone appreciates the Johto starter's potential.
Magic coat to reflect hazards on Clefable comes in handy. Also recommend Fire blast for coverage.
Starmie could use a wider attack moveset to utilize his powers and speed.
Good team overall, and good luck.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Nice team, glad someone appreciates the Johto starter's potential.
Magic coat to reflect hazards on Clefable comes in handy. Also recommend Fire blast for coverage.
Starmie could use a wider attack moveset to utilize his powers and speed.
Good team overall, and good luck.
hey, welcome to smogon, wanted to address your suggestions.

Firstly, magic coat is pretty niche and personally doesn't really fit his team

Lastly, Starmie is being used a somewhat bulky rapid spinner. Recover > ice beam or bolt in this situation

I think fire blast can work on fable imo

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried Agility > Aqua Jet on Feraligatr? I've been using Feraligatr too, and today I tried out the double dance set for the first time and I really liked it. Swords Dance is good for breaking walls and bulky teams for your other sweepers while Agility excels cleaning weakened teams and throwing your opponent off guard since at +2 Feraligatr will outspeed most (if not all...?) common scarfers. You might not miss Aqua Jet too much either since it's main purpose, at least imo, was to prevent Talonflame from revenging Feraligatr after a dragon dance which wouldnt have mattered anyways with a Swords Dance set. Anyways I feel like Double Dance Feraligatr always puts in work and I'd suggest you give it a try.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
2 little things

1- Change Sceptile's Nature to Timid: you're not mixed anymore... So :]

2- Where you get those icons tho?

Hey nice team! A change I would suggest making is switching out Leaf Storm for Giga Drain on Sceptile. Giga Drain allows you to recover health and make more substitutes. It also prevents Scept from being worn down and doesn't drop SpA. Looks good

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Hey nice team! A change I would suggest making is switching out Leaf Storm for Giga Drain on Sceptile. Giga Drain allows you to recover health and make more substitutes. It also prevents Scept from being worn down and doesn't drop SpA. Looks good
To be honest, im actually thinking for this specific team, that storm is better. He has healing wish support and the overal damage output of 2 leaf storms is more than 2 gigas

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried Agility > Aqua Jet on Feraligatr? I've been using Feraligatr too, and today I tried out the double dance set for the first time and I really liked it. Swords Dance is good for breaking walls and bulky teams for your other sweepers while Agility excels cleaning weakened teams and throwing your opponent off guard since at +2 Feraligatr will outspeed most (if not all...?) common scarfers. You might not miss Aqua Jet too much either since it's main purpose, at least imo, was to prevent Talonflame from revenging Feraligatr after a dragon dance which wouldnt have mattered anyways with a Swords Dance set. Anyways I feel like Double Dance Feraligatr always puts in work and I'd suggest you give it a try.
it's a na intresting otpion and the one i had first considered and it does net it a unquie niche over crawdaunt, that won't be whinned about being outclassed

Hey, awesome team you have here. Tested it out twice and enjoyed using it.
I noticed you have 3 weaknesses to Electric and despite Sceptile being there, we all know HP Ice is a thing. From what I can see, Latios can now get its spot back in place of Starmie as a Defogger. However instead of him, I'd recommend Latias who can eat HP Ice from Raikou better.
She can also provide Healing Wish support and free up that slot on Clefable for Fire Blast mentioned above.
I could be wrong and someone can correct and and say its an unneeded idea, I don't have much experience but its something that jumped out at me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)