1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

GBU Tournament Standings to Help at Regionals and invites to worlds on ranking

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Solace

Solace swing from the chandelier
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Read about it here!

So come January, it's a possibility byes will be given out at regionals to players who do well on GBU tournaments. Thoughts on this new system?
  2. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

The more important part of that link seems to be that they are giving 4 ratings invited to worlds unless I misread.
  3. AUKTrainer

AUKTrainer

It also says they will be doing 2 prelimnary events Internationally that will then lead to a World Qualifier as quoted; 'There will be two Preliminary events that will lead to a World Championships Qualifier event.' This is great news for all Europeans who have been desperate for something like this. Lets just hope its still not single elimination ¬_¬
  4. hoult66

hoult66

Is that two prelimnary events per country?
  5. AUKTrainer

AUKTrainer

International Events
    The international event schedule also has some changes worth mentioning. To align the international event series with North American events, the schedule will be trimmed slightly, giving players the opportunity to play in three separate events in the Spring.
    There will be two Preliminary events that will lead to a World Championships Qualifier event. These events will be open to all players in good standing. As with the North American series, there will be incentives offered to top-ranked players in GBU Wi-Fi tournaments across all three age divisions.
    More details will be announced as they become available.

Hopefully hoult it will be each country.
  6. Pippy

Pippy

Having rewards for the GBU tournaments is a good idea, but I see this making DCs worse than ever.
  7. Drifblim

Drifblim

From the posted link:

In addition to the above-mentioned byes, the top four players in each the North American and European rating zones in each age division will earn an invitation to participate in the World Championships in Vancouver, British Columbia, in August 2013.

Does this mean each separate area of the US (ex. Northeast) will have its own 4 trips?
  8. Rukario

Rukario

Disconnects will definitely be less prevalent during the GBU tournaments from now on once BW2 gets released. For every DC you have, you can't play for an hour I believe. If you disconnect 10 times, that's 10 hours of no playtime. It's really not worth it to DC anymore.
  9. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

Since they've fixed the DC problem, this sounds like an excellent idea! I'm very happy to hear this!
  10. Pippy

Pippy

Really? That will make things sooo much better. :D
  11. JRank

JRank
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

No, it is referring to the North American zone and the European zone. 4 invites per continent.
  12. LudiImpact

LudiImpact

It says that byes are eligible starting at the January Regionals. So would the Autumn friendly count for the bye system at Regionals?
  13. Misdreavus

Misdreavus

I like this move. It should result in players spending more time playing on the GBU instead of simulators.
  14. PkmRngrBrad

PkmRngrBrad

I totally agree!
    I have seen a increase in the past week of more North American opponents, its been interesting. Was not sure if that was the reason or if it has just been chance, but I hope it keeps up!
  15. N8thePWNr

N8thePWNr

Do we have to already have a Player ID associated with our GBU account?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)