Gen 4 Seussical

Please note: You do not have to know Seussical: The Musical at all to rate this thread. No elephants were harmed in the making of this thread. (Except Horton :D)

I've been addicted to Seussical ever since the first time I saw the show. Now, I've created a team derived from the musical, and have had some success with it.

Ha, laughed a voice, ha, laughed another, ha ha ha, laughed the Wikersham Brothers.
-Wickersham Brothers

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Ability: Technician
-Fake Out
-Double Hit
-U-Turn
-Taunt

This thing just shuts things down. The moment I decided to do a Seussical based team, this guy just had to be the lead. The only things that can really stop him are Steel and Rock types. I've had a lot of success running him, and he just becomes one of the forces of this team.

A person's a person, no matter how small.
-Horton

Donphan @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin

I don't run Ice Shard on Horton, but I don't think he really needs it. He takes out the pesky Rock and Steel types with powerful STAB Earthquake. I'm sure you all know what a Donphan does, so I won't bore you with the details, but he really makes this team work.

You're the biggest blame fool in the Jungle of Nool, and I don't care who I tell.
-Sour Kangaroo

Kangaskhan @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
-Double Edge
-Earthquake
-Hammer Arm
-Sucker Punch

With an attitude like the Kangaroo has, Kangaskhan was able to deliver. If I ever need to just get some damage in, I'll always switch in the Sour Kangaroo to take care of business. Powerful attacking power in the form of Double Edge gives the Sour Kangaroo all the power it needs. The other moves just give more coverage, I use the Kangaroo to take out the Rock and Steel types sometimes, but other than that, its primary use is to hit hard with Double Edge.

I feel as though I'm ready to confess to you the feelings that I've hidden with great diligence and labor, behind the facade of your odd little next door neighbor.
-Gertrude McFuzz

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
-Protect
-Facade
-Brave Bird
-U-Turn

Well, according to the musical, there is nothing that "I wouldn't, and I couldn't, and I haven't gone through." She's even willing to poison herself in order to obtain victory. Once I have the guts boost, as well as the boosted Facade, not much can stand in the way of Gertrude.

Did you ever imagine, you'd see me on stage? Now I'm here, there's no telling what may ensue, no there's no telling what, but I'll give you a clue.
-Cat in the Hat

Persian @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Hypnosis
-Nasty Plot
-Water Pulse
-Swift

The iconic figure of the Doctor himself, it was only natural that Persian find a spot on the team. Nasty Plot Persian catches a lot of people off guard, who assume they will see Fake Out with Hypnosis. After a Nasty Plot, there isn't much that can stand up to Water Pulse and Swift (both boosted by Technician.) I usually save the Cat for my last Pokemon, as it can be a very effective late game sweeper.

Now that is a very unusual hat, I wonder who would wear a hat such as that?
-Jojo

Chansey @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss

Jojo is so much of a "happy go-lucky" type guy, that Chansey was the only reasonable option. Jojo will wall any Special Attack that is aimed at it. I needed a Special Wall, and Chansey really was the best option.

I wanted to post a threatlist, but I'm not finding one. Personally, I've never really worried about threalists, and just played instinctively, but if there is one out there, I might go ahead and post it.

Happy Rating :D

So uh, for a doctor Seuss based team, it seems rather....NORMAL. I'm going to list some threats that I see to your team, there might be quite a few, but that's more over my paranoia than anything.

Substitute Aggron
Rock Polish Aggron
Substitute+Encore Alakazam
Agility Blaziken
Life Orb Cloyster
Substitute Dugtrio
Feraligatr
Substitute Hariyama
Substitute Hitmonlee
Technitop/LO Hitmontop with Mach Punch
Swords Dance+ Quick Attack Leafeon
Kabutops in the Rain
Curse Miltank
Substitute Mismagius
Rain Dance Omastar
Sub/Rock Polish Rhyperior
Slowbro
Sub Torterra
Weezing

That might look like a massive list, but we can break it down a bit no sweat.

You see alot of Substitute users on the list. This is because your team is rather frail and relies on Kanghaskhan, Swellow, and Ambipom to KO the majority of the threats to your team, but once these threats get behind a sub, they have chances to KO your would-be Revengers. On the other hand of things, Bulky pokes that are able to increase their speed and resist the attacks of your primary revenge killers (Swellow and Ambipom) also are a significant problem.

So how can we fix these problems?
Claydol over Donphan immediately comes to mind, as it can tank hits from the likes of Aggron and Rhyperior, as well as provide a VERY crucial fighting resist for your team.

The next change that I'm going recommend will be to deal with the Water types on this list, it's the change of Chansey to a Specially Defensive Venusaur this will give you two things, first off, a way to phaze opponents out with Leech Seed, making slow Subber like Rhyperior and Cursers easier for your team to defeat.

Finally, the addition of Venusaur adds a weakness to fire attacks, in addition, you still have a bit of a weakness to Blaziken, as such you might find it a good idea to give Calm Mind Slowbro a try in place of Either Persian or Kangaskhan personally I'd run it over Persian, but the choice is yours. This'll check stuff like Blaziken and Feraligatr, and give you a threatening boosting sweeper. So the sets!

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Power Whip
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Good luck with the changes!

So uh, for a doctor Seuss based team, it seems rather....NORMAL. I'm going to list some threats that I see to your team, there might be quite a few, but that's more over my paranoia than anything.

Substitute Aggron
Rock Polish Aggron
Substitute+Encore Alakazam
Agility Blaziken
Life Orb Cloyster
Substitute Dugtrio
Feraligatr
Substitute Hariyama
Substitute Hitmonlee
Technitop/LO Hitmontop with Mach Punch
Swords Dance+ Quick Attack Leafeon
Kabutops in the Rain
Curse Miltank
Substitute Mismagius
Rain Dance Omastar
Sub/Rock Polish Rhyperior
Slowbro
Sub Torterra
Weezing

That might look like a massive list, but we can break it down a bit no sweat.

You see alot of Substitute users on the list. This is because your team is rather frail and relies on Kanghaskhan, Swellow, and Ambipom to KO the majority of the threats to your team, but once these threats get behind a sub, they have chances to KO your would-be Revengers. On the other hand of things, Bulky pokes that are able to increase their speed and resist the attacks of your primary revenge killers (Swellow and Ambipom) also are a significant problem.

So how can we fix these problems?
Claydol over Donphan immediately comes to mind, as it can tank hits from the likes of Aggron and Rhyperior, as well as provide a VERY crucial fighting resist for your team.

The next change that I'm going recommend will be to deal with the Water types on this list, it's the change of Chansey to a Specially Defensive Venusaur this will give you two things, first off, a way to phaze opponents out with Leech Seed, making slow Subber like Rhyperior and Cursers easier for your team to defeat.

Finally, the addition of Venusaur adds a weakness to fire attacks, in addition, you still have a bit of a weakness to Blaziken, as such you might find it a good idea to give Calm Mind Slowbro a try in place of Either Persian or Kangaskhan personally I'd run it over Persian, but the choice is yours. This'll check stuff like Blaziken and Feraligatr, and give you a threatening boosting sweeper. So the sets!

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Power Whip
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Good luck with the changes!
Thanks for commenting :D

I see the points you're making, and it's kind of pointing me to one direction. If I switch Chansey to Slowbro, that would effectively deal with the problems, as Surf and Psychic would take out most of the threats you listed. Do you think just making that change would work? (I'm just hesitant to change the other to for the sake of the theme...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)