Gen. 5 Baton Pass Guide

by undisputed and hyperbeem
Introduction:

Despite the widespread usage of Taunt and Phazers, Baton Pass teams can prove a deadly style if used correctly. The new ability Prankster, which gives all non-damaging moves priority, is a large threat to Baton Pass, but is balanced out by excellent boosts to Baton Pass in the 5th generation. The move Stored Power raises in Base Power for each boost accumulated, so once multiple boosts have been passed this move has enormous strength. In addition, the move Shell Smash sharply boosts Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, allowing for quick set up. Finally, the ability Magic Bounce reflects the effects of non-danaging boosts, and largely counters Prankster Pokemon, Taunt, and phazing. Baton Pass may seem like an unreliable or gimmicky strategy, but with a properly built team, it can work wonders.

What is Baton Pass?

Baton Pass is a 64 Max PP Normal-type move that transfers all stat boosts, Substitute, and special conditions to the intended receiver. In addition, it escapes the trapping effects of Shadow Tag, Mean Look, Magnet Pull, Arena Trap. Also, the receiver is the Pokemon hit by Pursuit rather than the passer. Baton Pass no longer passes the effect of Mean Look as in the 4th generation

Styles of Baton Pass

The two types of Baton Pass are quick pass and full pass. Quick pass is often just a strategy between two or three Pokemon, and focuses on getting extreme boosts to a powerful receiver quickly to attempt a sweep. Quick pass is generally used with tactics like dual screens, hazards, and trappers to aid and remove counters to a sweep. Full pass consists of the entire team slowly accumulating offensive and defensive boosts while blocking Taunt and Phazing to consistently sweep. In full pass teams, the whole team is used for this purpose, so generally hazards and other strategies are usually unseen.

Quick Pass:

Quick Pass has become very common this generation with the advent of Shell Smash. Shell Smash sharply raises Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, the common traits of a powerful mixed sweeper. It also has a side effect of lowering defenses, which can be countered with a White Herb. Mew, another excellent quick passer, is now usable in standard play, and can provide any boost necessary to a receiver. Mew's excellent bulk and good speed make it a great alternative to Shell Smash. On the receiving side, there are a host of powerful receivers including past terrors like Salamence and the new, powerful genies.

Quick Pass Strategy

Passers

Gorebyss

Notable Moves: Shell Smash, Amnesia, Barrier, Aqua Ring
Description: Gorebyss is the premier Shell Smasher in OU for many reasons. Its decent defenses give it numerous opportunities to set up. In addition, its powerful Special Attack lets it pose an offensive threat even before passing, especially if the opposing team uses Drizzle.

Example Moveset:

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
-Shell Smash
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Surf

Smeargle

Notable Moves: Smeargle can learn every move in Pokemon.
Description: Smeargle possesses the unqoque quality of having any move combination. The move Spore can incapacitate foes, so Smeargle can use moves like Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, Shift Gear, and others in safety.

Example Moveset

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -Atk)
-Shell Smash
-Taunt
-Baton Pass
-Spore

Mew

Notable Moves:
Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Rock Polish, Barrier, Amnesia
Description: Mew is an extremely versatile Pokemon, and can run a variety of Baton Pass options. The most common set is boosting the speed and one offensive stat of a receiver to instantly create a powerful sweeper with no drawbacks.

Example Moveset:

Mew @ Lum Berry
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Nasty Plot / Swords Dance
-Baton Pass
-Taunt

Venomoth

Notable Moves:
Quiver Dance, Sleep Powder
Description: Venomoth has the unique ability to Baton Pass the boosts of Quiver Dance, which combines a Calm Mind boost with a Speed Boost. In addition, it can use Sleep Powder to set up, and use its modest Special Attack and Tinted Lense to pose an offensive presence before passing. Venomoth's ability Wonder Skin halves the accuracy of non-damaging moves, but relies on luck.

Example Moveset:

Venomoth @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Baton Pass
-Bug Buzz

Receivers

Metagross

Notable Moves:
Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Earthquake, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch
Description: Metagross is an excellent receiver because of its high attack stat, wide array of powerful coverage moves, and solid defenses. In addition, Metagross resists both ExtremeSpeed and Bullet Punch which makes it very hard to revenge kill. The only downside to using Metagross as a Quick Pass recipient is the wide spread use of Excadrill. With Sand Rush, Excadrill is able to out-speed Metagross and use Earthquake to stop it in its tracks.

Landorus

Notable Moves:
Earthquake, Stone Edge, Hidden Power Ice, Substitute
Description: With almost unresisted coverage in Earthquake and Stone Edge coupled with a very high Attack stat, Landorus is capable of tearing through teams. In addition, Landorus' main attacking moves, Earthquake and Stone Edge, are boosted if Sand Storm is in effect. Landorus resists the popular priority move, Mach Punch, so it is resistant to revenge kills.

Salamence

Notable Moves:
Dragon Claw, Outrage, Earthquake, Brick Break, Fire Blast, Roost
Description: Salamence has a wide array of useful coverage moves, and when coupled with high Attack and Special Attack stats, it is a very powerful sweeper. In addition, Intimidate allows Salamence to effectively switch in on physically-based attackers when receiving boosts via Baton Pass. If and when Salamence receives its Dream World ability, Over Confidence, Salamence can become next to impossible to stop after its Attack raises with every KO.

Dragonite

Notable Moves:
Dragon Claw, Outrage, Fire Blast, ExtremeSpeed, Brick Break, Fire Punch, Roost
Description: Dragonite and Salamence are very similar in playstyle. Like Salamence, Dragonite has very high attacking stats from both sides of the spectrum, and with many powerful coverage moves, Dragonite can be difficult to revenge kill once it gets going. ExtremeSpeed deserves a special mention because it guarantees Dragonite can move before Priority Attackers and continue a sweep. Dragonite's ability, Multiscale, halves damage when Dragonite is at full health, so Dragonite can easily switch in when receiving boosts.

• Thundurus
  • Lucario

Quick Pass Counters/Problems:

• Priority Taunt
  • Status
  • Phazing
  • Enemy Stat Boosters
  • Unaware

Full Pass

Full Pass Strategy

Stat Boosters / Supporters:

• Celebi
  • Ninjask
  • Scizor
  • Mew
  • Zapdos
  • Vaporeon
  • Mr. Mime
  • Gliscor
  • Mawile
  • Smeargle

Receivers:

• ESPEON
  • Metagross
  • Lucario

Full Pass Counters / Problems:

• Priority Taunt Users
  • Other Taunters
  • Opposing Set-up
  • Haze
  • Attacking Phazers

Sample Quick Pass RMT

Sample Full Pass RMT

Introduction:

Despite the widespread usage of Taunt and Phazers, Baton Pass teams can prove a deadly style if used correctly. The new ability Prankster, which gives all non-damaging moves priority, is a large threat to Baton Pass, but is balanced out by excellent boosts to Baton Pass in the 5th generation. The move Stored Power raises in Base Power for each boost accumulated, so once multiple boosts have been passed this move has enormous strength. In addition, the move Shell Smash sharply boosts Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, allowing for quick set up. Finally, the ability Magic Bounce reflects the effects of non-danaging boosts, and largely counters Prankster Pokemon, Taunt, and phazing. Baton Pass may seem like an unreliable or gimmicky strategy, but with a properly built team, it can work wonders.

What is Baton Pass?

Baton Pass is a 64 Max PP Normal-type move that transfers all stat boosts, Substitute, and special conditions to the intended receiver. In addition, it escapes the trapping effects of Shadow Tag, Mean Look, Magnet Pull, Arena Trap. Also, the receiver is the Pokemon hit by Pursuit rather than the passer. Baton Pass no longer passes the effect of Mean Look as in the 4th generation

Styles of Baton Pass

The two types of Baton Pass are quick pass and full pass. Quick pass is often just a strategy between two or three Pokemon, and focuses on getting extreme boosts to a powerful receiver quickly to attempt a sweep. Quick pass is generally used with tactics like dual screens, hazards, and trappers to aid and remove counters to a sweep. Full pass consists of the entire team slowly accumulating offensive and defensive boosts while blocking Taunt and Phazing to consistently sweep. In full pass teams, the whole team is used for this purpose, so generally hazards and other strategies are usually unseen.

Quick Pass:

Quick Pass has become very common this generation with the advent of Shell Smash. Shell Smash sharply raises Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, the common traits of a powerful mixed sweeper. It also has a side effect of lowering defenses, which can be countered with a White Herb. Mew, another excellent quick passer, is now usable in standard play, and can provide any boost necessary to a receiver. Mew's excellent bulk and good speed make it a great alternative to Shell Smash. On the receiving side, there are a host of powerful receivers including past terrors like Salamence and the new, powerful genies.

Quick Pass Strategy

Passers

Gorebyss

Notable Moves: Shell Smash, Amnesia, Barrier, Aqua Ring
Description: Gorebyss is the premier Shell Smasher in OU for many reasons. Its decent defenses give it numerous opportunities to set up. In addition, its powerful Special Attack lets it pose an offensive threat even before passing, especially if the opposing team uses Drizzle.

Example Moveset:

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
-Shell Smash
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Surf

Smeargle

Notable Moves: Smeargle can learn every move in Pokemon.
Description: Smeargle possesses the unqoque quality of having any move combination. The move Spore can incapacitate foes, so Smeargle can use moves like Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, Shift Gear, and others in safety.

Example Moveset

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
-Shell Smash
-Taunt
-Baton Pass
-Spore

Mew

Notable Moves:
Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Rock Polish, Barrier, Amnesia
Description: Mew is an extremely versatile Pokemon, and can run a variety of Baton Pass options. The most common set is boosting the speed and one offensive stat of a receiver to instantly create a powerful sweeper with no drawbacks.

Example Moveset:

Mew @ Lum Berry
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Nasty Plot
-Baton Pass
-Taunt

Venomoth

Notable Moves:
Quiver Dance, Sleep Powder
Description: Venomoth has the unique ability to Baton Pass the boosts of Quiver Dance, which combines a Calm Mind boost with a Speed Boost. In addition, it can use Sleep Powder to set up, and use its modest Special Attack and Tinted Lense to pose an offensive presence before passing. Venomoth's ability Wonder Skin halves the accuracy of non-damaging moves, but relies on luck.

Example Moveset:

Venomoth @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Baton Pass
-Bug Buzz

Receivers

• Metagross
  • Landorus
  • Salamence
  • Dragonite
  • Thundurus
  • Lucario

Quick Pass Counters/Problems:

• Priority Taunt
  • Status
  • Phazing
  • Enemy Stat Boosters
  • Unaware

Full Pass

Full Pass Strategy

Stat Boosters / Supporters:

• Celebi
  • Ninjask
  • Scizor
  • Mew
  • Zapdos
  • Vaporeon
  • Mr. Mime
  • Gliscor
  • Mawile
  • Smeargle

Receivers:

• ESPEON
  • Metagross
  • Lucario

• Priority Taunt Users
  • Other Taunters
  • Opposing Set-up
  • Haze
  • Attacking Phazers

Sample Quick Pass RMT

Sample Full Pass RMT

Espeon needs to be on every Baton Pass team due to Magic Bounce reflecting Taunt, phazing, and status.

Edit: I have yet to see a successful BP team without Espeon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I heard, BP now passes the effects of Perish Song as well (which I think goes through Substitute) and therefore gives any BP set trouble.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The best special fast pass receiver has to be Nidoking. Sheer Force, Life Orb, +2 or possibly +4, you know the drill. It still has a tough time getting past Chansey unless you're running a mixed set. Also, I have had success with Choice Band Haxorus, whose +2 boosted Outrage can do ridiculous damage to Skarmory iirc (it's worth doing calculations for).

We are going to emphasizing the effect of Espeon on full baton pass. BP always passed the effect of Perish Song...

Introduction:

Quick Pass:

Quick Pass has become very common this generation with the advent of Shell Smash. Shell Smash sharply raises Speed, Special Attack, and Speed, the common traits of a powerful mixed sweeper. It also has a side effect of lowering defenses, which can be countered with a White Herb. Mew, another excellent quick passer, is now usable in standard play, and can provide any boost necessary to a receiver. Mew's excellent bulk and good speed make it a great alternative to Shell Smash. On the receiving side, there are a host of powerful receivers including past terrors like Salamence and the new, powerful genies.
Spot the mistake.

Other passers:
-Volbeat has a quick Prankster Tail Glow Pass.
-Mienshao has Swords Dance/Calm Mind and Regenerator for full-pass.
-Lopunny has Agility and Klutz, which could deserve a mention for protecting full-pass from Trick when Substitute/Taunt is not available.

On that note, Tricked Choice items can ruin long chains, so add as a counter perhaps?

That's all I've got for now.

Appreciate it! Tricked Choice items aren't a huge problem, we are going to explain the significance of always being behind a sub to avoid stuff like that and lower the damaging effect critical hits can have.

The only Perish Song user I have seen is Politoed. That said, I let a baton pass team set up while setting up my own entry hazards, and then switched in Poli for the Perish Song. Their reaction was priceless.

the best counter to baton pass teams is murkrow , with a priority taunt/perish song , it's more reliable than politoed because poli can always be Koed before he move .

Baton Pass is easily beat by a team designed to beat it, but it's very useful in a metagame unprepared for it if care is taken against common threats.

Could anyone post an example of a good baton pass team?
I've been trying to make one, but need to see an example.

When facing a full baton pass team, forcing them to pass a Curse with Spiritomb is hilarious.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

• Priority Taunt Users
  • Other Taunters
  • Opposing Set-up
  • Haze
  • Attacking Phazers

Perish Song needs to be here in my opinion, as mentioned above.

Also, Leech Seed can be passed along which can get annoying if you get caught unawares and didn't send in Espeon/Grass-type/have enough Speed to get a Sub up first.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you plan for this to be an all-encompassing Baton Pass guide; if it is going to be geared towards OU, indicate that in the title please.

mightygeb said:
Other passers:
-Volbeat has a quick Prankster Tail Glow Pass.
Well you decided to be condescending in your post, so I guess its the cool new thing to do; spot the mistake. (hint: Prankster is not released on Volbeat yet).

Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending, I was just trying to help out. I just heard the Volbeat pass thing elsewhere. I wouldn't have even known it as an option without having heard it, and just assumed Prankster was released.

In an attempt to make this post somewhat useful, Encore can also mess up BP.

Will start working on it a lot tomorrow. thanks firecape for spotting psong; I knew we forgot something in the initial outline.

U should emphasise the importance of subbing. Subs protect leech seed, t-wave, toxic and it can be passed down too! Espeon should be mentioned as well since he has the nifty magic bounce ability and Stored Power. FYI, stored power ignores Unaware :). I use roar on my Vaporeon and it's working really well atm, stops others from setting up on you.

Taunt sucks, but that is what Espeon is for. Predict on the switch and laugh at your opponent :naughty:

I suggest this set for Smeargle

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
-Shell Smash
-Ingrain
-Baton Pass
-Spore

I wouldn't recommend shell smash here because of -1 Defs. I suggest Quiver Dance or Shift Gear. Ingrain helps against phazers.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Minor nitpick (and by minor I mean only myself and a few other people will care), Smeargle can't learn every move in Pokemon, as Chatter cannot be Sketched.

If your looking for examples, Here is a decent full baton pass team someone else made and gave to me.

Mawile (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Iron Defense

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 100 HP / 220 Def / 40 SDef / 148 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roar
- Substitute
- Acid Armor
- Baton Pass

Mr. Mime (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Barrier
- Baton Pass

Celebi @ Red Card
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 100 SDef / 120 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

Espeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 116 HP / 212 SAtk / 180 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stored Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Ninjask (M) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)